Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-12-18, 07:28 AM
All Ohio

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
A great McK Bulldog Tradition

Back in the 70ís the Bulldogs used to come on the field at game time on a red carpet rolled out by the cheerleaders. Do they still do this? Personally I thought it was a very cool tradition.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-18, 08:37 AM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
They sure did. I completely forgot about that. Thanks for the memory. I'm telling you there was nothing like the tradition of Massillon/McKinley pre-game waiting to see who would come out first and who would wait the other out. I remember a couple times the refs had to actually go to the locker rooms to get them out on the field.
Old 01-12-18, 09:23 AM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Haha that’s great
Old 01-12-18, 10:18 AM
All Ohio

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
Egret..... do they still do the red carpet thing? And do you know what the series record is.
Old 01-12-18, 10:30 AM
All Ohio

Ts1960 is an unknown quantity at this point
No they don’t do the red carpet anymore.
Massillon 70-53-5
Old 01-12-18, 11:36 AM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
When did they start with the siren when the Bulldogs came out?

Do they still have the siren? I would love it if they brought back the red carpet and played the siren.
Old 01-12-18, 03:00 PM
Moderated User

sam the butcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
They sure did. I completely forgot about that. Thanks for the memory. I'm telling you there was nothing like the tradition of Massillon/McKinley pre-game waiting to see who would come out first and who would wait the other out. I remember a couple times the refs had to actually go to the locker rooms to get them out on the field.
I remember a lot of those waits also. Im sure there were some wait outs that I dont remember or have forgotten but for me the most vivid was the 88 game. They weren't even in the locker rooms, they were both just standing outside of their respective locker rooms waiting, for what seemed like an hour. I'm sure it was just minutes but it really did seem like an hour.
Old 01-12-18, 06:21 PM
All American

Caleb is on a distinguished road
The waiting to come out of the locker room was half the fun of the game. (lol) I believe the carpet and siren went away when the locker room moved to under the bleachers on the east side. I hated that move but if my memory serves me right it was after "Turk" died hitting his head going down the steps into the old locker room changes needed to be made. But I remembered when McKinley entered the field from the old north locker room the band lined up in a way that only allowed for a single file entrance by the team which was just right for the carpet. Now it's the ol group entrance which I also hate. I think you get stuck in the time when you first started watching that game and for me it was in the late 60's and early 70's. I think it was rolled out for old time sake 5 or 6 years ago. I miss the carpet but have no love lose for the siren.

Are there any McKinley fans that remember what year the team moved from standing on the north sidelines of the field to the south sidelines?
Old 01-12-18, 06:27 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
I knew a "Turk" from McKinley. Around when did that accident happen?
Old 01-12-18, 06:41 PM
All American

Caleb is on a distinguished road
Turk was Frank Alberta the long time equipment manager. Not sure what year he died. Sometime after the 1997 year.
Old 01-12-18, 07:15 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Turk was Frank Alberta the long time equipment manager. Not sure what year he died. Sometime after the 1997 year.
Thanks. Definitely different guy.
Old 01-13-18, 09:09 AM
All Ohio

JoeCool is on a distinguished road
They have done it a few times over the last few years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-18, 11:17 AM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Things like this made HS football special. I fear these things are getting lost because they are not hightech, loud or shiny enough for today's younger fans.
Old 01-13-18, 11:53 AM
All World

Striker300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Juvenile attempt to hijack thread. Typical Mass hole move.

Things like this made HS football special. I fear these things are getting lost because they are not hightech, loud or shiny enough for today's younger fans.
No, that's typical Mass-McK style banter, which has been going on for over 100 years. If you were truly a fan of either you would know and understand it. Just more proof that you've never really been a fan of either school. Another weak attempt to make a Massillon fan look bad, your sole intent in being on this site.
Old 01-13-18, 03:22 PM
All District

Mr.wrsln2 is on a distinguished road
This sound like a soft question.and he already knew the answer.and are we supposed to think red n black dosent know the alltime mass-mck matchup?why the butt kissin?
Old 01-15-18, 05:42 AM
Bulldogs, Buckeyes & Browns!

DaveDawg is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DaveDawg
McKinley originally called the north stands at Fawcett Stadium their ‘home’ side until 1981.
When Thom McDaniels became head coach the home side switched to the south stands. I have no memory if it was because of Coach McD, but I will ask him.

The Red Carpet is still around, just not used at present time. And not the one that was last used in the late 70’s, a new one came out and I last remember seeing it in 2006 maybe.

The siren was originally played after touchdowns by Cornell Cindea who worked McKinley games as scoreboard and time keeper by playing a cassette recording rewind and play each touchdown. There still are sirens after touchdowns played, I know because I have given recordings that were gave to me by JR.

Football at the high school level is evolving and more so our society.
When at the games it’s impossible to guess why those who do attend have a nose in their smartphone and not directed to the play of the game.
Parents and family use weather or I can catch updates on the radio or on Facebook without attending.
Football is losing its grip.
Traditions are being held onto by a small group of administrators, coaches and super fans.
There is not a new generation interested in picking up where others left off in the amount of people that were on board and really invested by volunteering.
Not just at McKinley, at Massillon also.
The private schools and their ascension to football super-powers and the OHSAA not willing to change anything at the top division to a level playing field has done nothing to improve the playoffs as schools remain divided at every level except the top 15% of high schools (a guess).

But there is still those that try.
I try.
I don’t pound the keyboards as much as I used to in these forums and I’m willing to do something for the kids in Canton as it was done for my friends and myself. They shouldn’t miss out. It’s why the guys like Cooper and the guys of the 81 team make it their business to hand back. I join them.
But do you?

Do you call the ticket office from Florida or anywhere outside the area and say - I want to buy season tickets for two people, but since I’m in Florida would you please give away those tickets to a family that might not be able to go.

I’d pass out those tickets for you

Money is what drives the success of continuing the traditions and ideas new for the changing times.

Don’t like where is been, come get involved and get your hand dirty with us.
At McKinley

At Massillon

At any school anywhere.

Play your part by playing along by being there in person or providing donations.
Old 01-15-18, 07:42 AM
All American

Best post ever by DD. Thanks for some actual on topic facts and remarks.

This post also reminds us what Yappi could be, a place to inspire and encourage the best things about high school sports.
Old 01-15-18, 09:11 AM
All World

Quote:

This post also reminds us what Yappi could be, a place to inspire and encourage the best things about high school sports.
You don't think you contribute to some of the reasons it isn't? Just asking.
Old 01-15-18, 09:47 AM
All Ohio

Quote:

Not with people like you, mack, y2h etc...
Old 01-15-18, 10:09 AM
All World

I just got a text from a rabid Massillon fan and VERY good friend of mine. The only time he misses games (home or away) is when he has to work. He's also a cheap azz. LOL. Anyway, he was sitting right there where McKinley enters the field this past year. Apparently the red carpet WAS rolled out for this game. You damn McKinley fans better start paying better attention to your team. LOL. Anyway, it's a great tradition and this is a great thread. Well, until someone tried to hijack it. Carry on, mates!!
Old 01-15-18, 12:37 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I just got a text from a rabid Massillon fan and VERY good friend of mine. The only time he misses games (home or away) is when he has to work. He's also a cheap azz. LOL. Anyway, he was sitting right there where McKinley enters the field this past year. Apparently the red carpet WAS rolled out for this game. You damn McKinley fans better start paying better attention to your team. LOL. Anyway, it's a great tradition and this is a great thread. Well, until someone tried to hijack it. Carry on, mates!!
I was over by there also and didn't see it so not to offend the snowflake M2M, here is a photo of the tunnel the team ran out of before the game. Provided by Fridaynightohio.com. I don't see anything resembling a red carpet.

Old 01-15-18, 01:01 PM
All World

It was lee from Massillon.com and he was standing right there. Told me to tell you to open your eyes. LOL.
Old 01-15-18, 01:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Not with people like you, mack, y2h etc...
If by etc you mean sam the biatcher , firewatch, yourself, heff, 65tiger, chiefy jones, and striker, I agree.
Old 01-15-18, 01:21 PM
All American

Quote:
You don't think you contribute to some of the reasons it isn't? Just asking.
Yes I am a contributor. Don't you think it's fair to ask the same of many of your Massillon brethren who ruin more threads than any other fan base?
Old 01-15-18, 01:50 PM
All World

Quote:
Yes I am a contributor. Don't you think it's fair to ask the same of many of your Massillon brethren who ruin more threads than any other fan base?
More? No. As many? Maybe but usually responding to others in defense of Massillon. So to be fair I'll ask the same question of my "brethren".
Old 01-15-18, 02:54 PM
All Ohio

The Massillon and mck people can give and take some good ribbing back and forth. The PROBLEM is when the rest of the federal league crybabies that don’t get any attention or other instigators from around the state want to chime in. All you have to do is look back to any thread about Massillon or mck and look through to see when it gets bad.
Old 01-15-18, 03:24 PM
All World

According to my source, the carpet actually gets rolled out AS the team is running on the field so you wouldn't see it before they get out of the locker room. Mr. Firewatch. LOL.
Old 01-15-18, 03:31 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Are there any McKinley fans that remember what year the team moved from standing on the north sidelines of the field to the south sidelines?
1981: Under Terry Forbes; The North stands were expanded and the old
green Press Box on that side was not replaced. The clock and scoreboard
controls along with the McK coaches (spotters etc...) were moved to the
Rehfus Press Box (built in '74) thus making the South stands the home side.

:>---

SALT
Old 01-15-18, 04:11 PM
Moderated User

sam the butcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If by etc you mean sam the biatcher , firewatch, yourself, heff, 65tiger, chiefy jones, and striker, I agree.
I would think it would be fair then to include starkravingdad, man2man and m2m.

Listen son, I gave a perfect example several weeks back. My disdain for North Canton is well documented....since the arrival of Sam the butcher, or as you childishly put it, Sam the biatcher....have you seen one shot taken by me at anything North Canton related? No, you haven't. Because the posters from NC haven't been taking shots at Massillon, (y2h took a few a while back but I did not retaliate).

Now....this is actually a good thread....please don't ruin it like you have done to many others.

Thank you.
Old 01-16-18, 12:28 PM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1960 View Post
the massillon and mck people can give and take some good ribbing back and forth. The problem is when the rest of the federal league crybabies that donít get any attention or other instigators from around the state want to chime in. All you have to do is look back to any thread about massillon or mck and look through to see when it gets bad.
bam!...the fed sucks!