Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-02-17, 03:22 PM
Varsity

Pigskin is on a distinguished road
My 2 cents for what it is worth and not that much. How about Jon Daniels from Urbana? He left Urbana after 2 years, but they were heading in a good direction. Kids loved him. He is coaching for Wittenberg. Could not hurt to at least give him a look. Young, D3 coach, knows football, army veteran. Who knows??
Old 11-02-17, 03:27 PM
All District

rocketman82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
Also I do not know Jango Glackin but I never understood why he did not play offense. I understand people may not like his father but that kid was a good high school player and I can not hold a father against a child. Why did he only play defense and not more offense? IMG thought enough of him to play him, I feel that Lebanon probably should have played him both ways more. Full game both ways maybe not but at least 10-15 touches a game on offense. Can someone explain why he didn't get more offensive time? This is my own curiosity. Thanks
It was over two years ago. No one really cares. Time to focus on things that actually impact the program now.
Old 11-03-17, 07:14 AM
Varsity

bleecher-bum is on a distinguished road
Lebanon's AD has an opportunity to step-up and prove his worth through this next hire. Will he promote from within and use the convenient excuse that he doesn't have any teaching positions available to bring in an outsider or will he do whatever is necessary to attract a solid coach from the outside. Here is to hoping he is committed to improving the program. The program needs a strong leader both inside the program as well as to the outside world.
Old 11-24-17, 06:11 PM
Freshman

WarriorsComeOut&Play is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKong24 View Post
Rough year for Lebanon one year after making the playoffs. They havenít been the same since Brausch left. I think a coaching change could help breath some life into the program.
What are the chances of Brausch returning?

Heís hadnít some success recently in Kentuckyó but could he come back??
Old 11-24-17, 07:44 PM
All District

ctowner is on a distinguished road
Any Lebanon fans that can help me get scores for the 1987-1993 seasons?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-17, 12:19 PM
Freshman

Any word on the new coach? Have they interviewed?
Old 11-29-17, 01:39 PM
Varsity

bleecher-bum is on a distinguished road
What I have heard is there appears to be significant interest in this opening based on the overwhelming number of applicants as well as the quality of the applicants. People in the know are hopeful of a decision in December.
Old 12-04-17, 03:54 PM
Junior Varsity

BiasedObserver07 is on a distinguished road
My understanding is that there were over 60 applications for the job. Ranging from current D1 head coaches (that made the playoffs this year) to coordinators at area schools to those with no experience whatsoever (maybe Glackin's dad took someone's advice and applied himself!). I also know there were some accomplished Lebanon alumni that are in the coaching profession that applied for the job.

Interviews have been ongoing over the past week; and I believe the expectation is that a coach will be named and hired by the time school breaks for Christmas break.

I want to correct a few things that have been discussed:

1. While I believe it to be the desire to find a fully, licensed teacher, I would not say that it is mission critical. There have been talks about an attempt to be creative with the hiring if the right candidate is found outside of the district that isn't necessarily a fully licensed teacher or if the candidate doesn't match a district opening (i.e. some sort of job at the high school that doesn't require a teaching license). I think this comes from wanting to get the right person for the job, and also realizing that the demands placed on Lamb having to teach 6 of 8 periods are unlike many other SWO coaches.

2. I wouldn't necessarily expect some of the "big" names around the area to get interviews. Just because someone has had success winning a state championship at a local school does not mean preliminary research has led to the conclusion that that coach may not be worth the trouble.

3. All necessary stakeholders have been and will continue to be a part of this search. Certainly that includes the youth program and parents. But I wouldn't say that the youth program or the parents even a large say in the decision. They are but one of the many stakeholders brought in to assist in the decision -- which includes community leaders, the district administration, the high school administration, the athletic department, major donors, past players, and yes, the youth program and some parents.

4. While I greatly respect Lamb, he was not without his faults (as all coaches I know). But, Lebanon simply hasn't had the talent on the field. Glackin aside (who, yes, as a redshirt freshman had one assisted tackle this year -- not the surefire starter he has been made out to be), Lebanon has only produced MAC and D3 level talent. Sure, Morgan was a preferred walk-on at Ohio State. Wolf and Cochran were good MAC WRs. There have been a string of lineman (Bennett, Sayre). Bradd Ellis worked his butt-off to earn a starting position as a senior (and, he will not be playing on Sundays -- per my conversation with him). That is since 2006. Over 10 years, an Ohio D1 program has produced 5 MAC-scholarship players. Compare that with Brausch, who in 5-year span had Kelton Lindsay (Ohio State), Brady Merchant (Harvard), Matt McCutcheon (Kentucky), Reese and Jordan Hicks (both had NFL practice-squad stints), Charlie Rittgers (Dartmouth). I don't think anyone can dispute that Brausch had more talented players. He came in at a great time. Of course, Lamb could have made adjustments to players. But, he went 76-55. That ain't bad (but it ain't good).

Having heard from multiple sources and people during this search, I want to commend Lebanon for their job search. It has been effective and efficient. I know that final interviews will be upcoming soon, after a week of preliminary interviews already. Prior to narrowing down candidates, stakeholders got together so that they could discuss high-level philosophy and what the Lebanon job "should" look like.

And the new coach has a lot going for him: a mid-size D1 school, Lebanon has passed every single levy that has been on the ballot, a great place to live, and an absolute stud 8th grader that is coming up (who, I have been told, will be staying). It is an attractive job. And it should be.

Last edited by BiasedObserver07; 12-04-17 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-12-17, 12:18 PM
Freshman

Well-- It's mid-December.

We're all waiting.

Right?
Old 01-02-18, 03:43 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorsComeOut&Play View Post
Well-- It's mid-December.

We're all waiting.

Right?

Still nothin??

Not even a whisper?
Old 01-03-18, 12:07 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
You seem pretty obsessed with this coaching decision almost like someone else who used to post negative comments on every Lebanon page. No way this is him though because he only created new account names in the summer and this one was created just a few months ago....

Of course there's been rumors. When aren't there rumors in Lebanon? But why get on here and post them until there's some sort of official announcement? Doesn't help the coach, team or school to do so. And why should the board be in such a rush to name a coach? This is the person they're hoping to have over the next 5-10 or maybe more years. I'd take my time and get it right. This isn't like picking a college coach.
Old 01-03-18, 07:30 AM
Freshman

Definitely not him. Don’t know who that is. I have a boy in the program and just want what’s best!!
Old 01-03-18, 11:30 PM
All American

I know they've had some very qualified applicants in terms of football knowledge and coaching success. But coaching and having success in one community doesn't always translate into another district. I'd much rather them take their time than do this every couple years like some schools are forced to do. I'd expect something over the next few weeks but not before board approval.
Old 01-04-18, 11:30 AM
Junior Varsity

Like Brian said, there have been rumors of candidates. I don't think it is my place to put them on here. If you do have a son in the program, I would think you would have heard them, too. If you haven't heard the rumors, then all I will say is that you would be very surprised at the quality and success of those interviewed.

That said, I would anticipate something soon. Lebanon and the committee it put together have been diligent and searching for the best candidate and fit for the job. Let that play out (though, the timeline I initially was told said mid-December; but life happens, as it were).
Old 01-11-18, 10:10 PM
All American

I can confirm that one candidate has accepted a job as a position coach at the college level.
Old 01-11-18, 10:30 PM
All District

red123
Sorry to say this but the only candidate that matters is the one u finally hire. By name dropping all u are doing is opening a discussion for who should have hired.
Old 01-12-18, 12:19 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by red123 View Post
Sorry to say this but the only candidate that matters is the one u finally hire. By name dropping all u are doing is opening a discussion for who should have hired.
I don't feel that was name dropping. A Lebanon graduate who happened to be on staff at Florida State when they won the National Championship decided to stay at the college level to further his career. Not like he used Lebanon as leverage or picked another HS program over them. An opportunity opened up that better fit him and his family's future goals. I wish Cutch the best, just like I hope nothing but success for Lebanon.
Old 01-12-18, 08:42 AM
All Ohio

LHS WRESTLING is on a distinguished road
I know for a fact one HUGE name in Cincinnati Division I was close to being signed, sealed and delivered but recently backed out. Also a veteran coach who had an amazing turn around recently with another program was close to coming to Lebanon as well. Guy from Wisconsin almost took the job, but supposedly his wife and her work was an issue and he said no at the last minute. Stewart is doing his due diligence to get the right man.
Old 01-12-18, 09:59 AM
All Region

HSFB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS WRESTLING View Post
I know for a fact one HUGE name in Cincinnati Division I was close to being signed, sealed and delivered but recently backed out. Also a veteran coach who had an amazing turn around recently with another program was close to coming to Lebanon as well. Guy from Wisconsin almost took the job, but supposedly his wife and her work was an issue and he said no at the last minute. Stewart is doing his due diligence to get the right man.
Due diligence and (by your statement) has had 3 close to taking the job but turned it down. What is wrong, if anything, with this job?
Old 01-12-18, 10:41 AM
All Ohio

LHS WRESTLING is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSFB View Post
Due diligence and (by your statement) has had 3 close to taking the job but turned it down. What is wrong, if anything, with this job?
One stayed in Wisconsin due to his wife and her residency issues for her job at a hospital, the other two decided to stay at respective programs they already have had great success at. Simply put, they decided to stay where they were at. Happens all the time. Nothing is wrong the Lebanon program. The AD is doing his due diligence to make sure they get the right coach,.... not just hire anybody by caving into community pressure.
Old 01-12-18, 11:14 PM
All Region

Eagle112 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like 3 guys got offered the job and 3 turned it down to me...........onto the 4th best?
Old 01-13-18, 01:39 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle112 View Post
Sounds like 3 guys got offered the job and 3 turned it down to me...........onto the 4th best?
This happens all the time in not only coaching but also public/private companies. I apply for a different job that may make things in my life a bit easier (pay, time off, hours and etc.). I get offered said job and then tell me boss that this is what I'm leaving for. I don't really want to leave because I love my coworkers and the company...but this is just too good to turn down. My company now counters to match or come close enough to make it a tough decision. I like everything about this company. What would happen at the new one? Would my job be secure?
Old 01-13-18, 02:54 PM
All Ohio

Off_Tackle08 is on a distinguished road
So why not list some names of people or at least some hint as to who these mystery men are who dropped out when offered?
Old 01-14-18, 07:18 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
I don't feel that was name dropping. A Lebanon graduate who happened to be on staff at Florida State when they won the National Championship decided to stay at the college level to further his career. Not like he used Lebanon as leverage or picked another HS program over them. An opportunity opened up that better fit him and his family's future goals. I wish Cutch the best, just like I hope nothing but success for Lebanon.
I'm not sure it's fair to say that an applicant who did not receive an interview is a candidate. I would say that is an applicant. Absolutely, congrats to Matt for his new gig at ETSU, I wish the best for him. But, I hate to muddle the facts that are already being thrown around (not be you -- that would be by Aaron).

I didn't feel it was my place to allude to or mention those initial final three candidates. Aaron did. I disagree with that decision but it has been done.

As to who the three are, if I told you one, no one would believe it (nor did I initially -- I followed up with 5 different sources, 4 at Lebanon and 1 at the other school, to confirm). Another has a long history with Bill Stewart -- which tracks his hiring of Price for the baseball program when he first came on board.

Again, until a coach is hired, I don't find it appropriate or fair to discuss specific names.
Old 01-14-18, 11:54 PM
All American

*Based on numerous sources I believe Matt did have an interview. Not sure if the interview board actually had any interest in him other than him being an alumni. It's my belief that both parties are better positioned for their long term goals.

I'm sure we've heard the same names and believe they shouldn't be released. My main reasoning being that those that removed themselves still have kids to coach in their current positions. If released, everyone will think they have one foot out the door.

Even though I coach for another school (wrestling), I'll always be a Warrior. Want them to be successful at all times unless we're meeting in the circle. Being turned down means they're going after the best and not settling for the guy they know will take the job.
Old 01-19-18, 09:02 AM
Junior Varsity

My understanding is that a decision has been made. I don't know the name yet, but will try to figure it out as quickly as I can. I would expect an announcement after board approval next week.

Last edited by BiasedObserver07; 01-19-18 at 09:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-19-18, 10:38 AM
All District

FormerRef is on a distinguished road
All arrows point to a certain candidate.
Old 01-19-18, 11:53 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRef View Post
All arrows point to a certain candidate.
What I am hearing, too.
Old 01-19-18, 04:23 PM
All District

Percy Dovetonsils is on a distinguished road
So, youíre telling me the best candidate from the numerous applications comes from Preble Shawnee??? Not sure the program will be seeing an uptick.
Old 01-19-18, 06:45 PM
All Ohio

Exit 29 is on a distinguished road
If the hire was Matt Hopkins from Preble Shawnee then this could be a great or very bad hire. He was the OC for Eaton for a number of years then has done a good job at Preble Shawnee making them competitive. Preble Shawnee has been a horrible since forever and he had them at 8-2 this season. Lebanon “could” have hit a home run here, you really never know.