Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-01-17, 04:52 PM
formerfanatic formerfanatic is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 07-27-17
Posts: 38
formerfanatic is on a distinguished road
Question Time for Allen East coach Mike Abbey to go?

The title says it all. Is it time for Allen East head coach Mike Abbey to step down after this season and focus on wrestling? The Mustangs are currently 1-5 on the season. This drops Abbey's overall record as a head coach to 23-43 with 4 games left in his 7th season.

The Mustangs are young but there also seems to be a complete and total lack of control over the program. The assistant coaches are clearly running things for the Mustangs.

After the tragic loss of his son in June I can't imagine what he has been going through this year. But the record speaks for itself. It was bad before this season started. Most coaches wouldn't get away with a sub .500 record like this for very long.

I don't have a kid on the team so this is a purely objective assessment. But as a fan it's hard to watch. I know a few of the players through family friends and have talked with them and they are lost. And it shows when they step foot on the field.

Just wondering if there are any other Mustang fans on here, or any other NWC or local fans who have any thoughts. How long would your school let a record like this go?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-02-17, 03:19 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,760
thavoice is on a distinguished road
I did catch a few games he last couple of seasons. Last year they had a good record against some week competition or was that two years ago?

Just does not seem to be much talent across the board in that program. Do they lose kids to any of the Lima schools? That area east of Lima just seems like a whole different world.

Seems like they are okay with the status quo. Went to a number of baseball games and was disappointed in the fundamentals being taught as well.


Imagine they won't do much to push him out. He likely will just need to step down.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-02-17, 05:25 AM
Truthbit Truthbit is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-07-16
Location: Grove City
Posts: 132
Truthbit is on a distinguished road
Good gracious, be ready for trolls to attack this post. How dare we as a community ever question a coach's performance or behavior. We had a horrible guy in Grove City in 2014 15 and 16 and finally got rid of him. It wasn't just the 0-10 records he posted, but the unethical treatment of players and even more so the danger he put our kids in with known concussions.

Stick to your guns, if you don't think a coach is suitable for your community, do what you have to do. There will be those opposing your views, and those who will support it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-02-17, 06:08 AM
bulldog5704 bulldog5704 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-28-04
Location: Bethel,OH
Posts: 930
bulldog5704 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bulldog5704
I feel like some people think HS football should operate like college and nfl. The fact of the matter is at most schools these days its not easy to find coaches. So when you have a coach that sticks around and is treating kids well they leave that guy alone. Granted, typically if those two things are happening there eventually is some success.
Biggest issue is older guys are getting out of coaching bc they dont want to adjust their style to what people expect these days, and younger people arent coaching bc they dont want the time commitment.
Side note: I cant imagine how much time my coaches spent away from family just on weekends alone breaking down film without Hudl. We are so spoiled these days with it!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-02-17, 08:38 AM
tcgobucks tcgobucks is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-21-11
Posts: 1,062
tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
No connection to AE....just stumbled on to this thread. 5 of the 'Stangs 6 opponents are .500 or better.....the 3-game stretch of Wynford, Spencerville and Jefferson would be tough on anyone. They got pounded by Wynford, but were in both games against S-ville and the JeffCats.....Sure the 1-5 record isn't good, but is it really as bad as you are making it out to be?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-02-17, 09:09 AM
COACH_XYZ&12345 COACH_XYZ&12345 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-23-15
Posts: 830
COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthbit View Post
Good gracious, be ready for trolls to attack this post. How dare we as a community ever question a coach's performance or behavior. We had a horrible guy in Grove City in 2014 15 and 16 and finally got rid of him. It wasn't just the 0-10 records he posted, but the unethical treatment of players and even more so the danger he put our kids in with known concussions.

Stick to your guns, if you don't think a coach is suitable for your community, do what you have to do. There will be those opposing your views, and those who will support it.
Yes because those mega sponsorships and television contracts are at stake. Get those pitch forks out, make your voices known, burn the city! What hole did you come out of?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-02-17, 09:21 AM
rjewards rjewards is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-15-10
Location: RoCkPoRt
Posts: 1,413
rjewards is on a distinguished road
He is a great coach and even better person, hope he stays at both coaching positions as long as he wants. He brings awesome energy to the kids, just ask them!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-02-17, 09:50 AM
formerfanatic formerfanatic is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 07-27-17
Posts: 38
formerfanatic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjewards View Post
He is a great coach and even better person, hope he stays at both coaching positions as long as he wants. He brings awesome energy to the kids, just ask them!!!!
That's just it, I have asked them (or at least some of them). None of them have a problem with Abbey as a person, but his coaching has been lacking. They don't feel like he's in control of the program at all. He doesn't coach a position. He isn't the offensive and defensive coordinator. No one is sure what he does.

As I said, I don't have a horse in this race. My kids are grown. They didn't go to AE so I never experienced him as the parent of the player. I've met him. Seems like a truly great guy. But that doesn't always equate into a great coach, and his record indicates that maybe he is lacking in this department. Numbers don't lie.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-02-17, 08:36 PM
yakyak yakyak is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-11-14
Posts: 926
yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerfanatic View Post
That's just it, I have asked them (or at least some of them). None of them have a problem with Abbey as a person, but his coaching has been lacking. They don't feel like he's in control of the program at all. He doesn't coach a position. He isn't the offensive and defensive coordinator. No one is sure what he does.

As I said, I don't have a horse in this race. My kids are grown. They didn't go to AE so I never experienced him as the parent of the player. I've met him. Seems like a truly great guy. But that doesn't always equate into a great coach, and his record indicates that maybe he is lacking in this department. Numbers don't lie.
Is Win lose record the main barometer for success at the high school level?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-03-17, 06:49 AM
formerfanatic formerfanatic is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 07-27-17
Posts: 38
formerfanatic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
Is Win lose record the main barometer for success at the high school level?
I'm not sure what other barometer one would use. Is it win at all costs? No. Not in my opinion. It's not win at all costs at any level. But no one, at any school, will tolerate poor records just because the coach is a great guy. At least none that I've ever watched.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-03-17, 07:11 AM
yakyak yakyak is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-11-14
Posts: 926
yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerfanatic View Post
I'm not sure what other barometer one would use. Is it win at all costs? No. Not in my opinion. It's not win at all costs at any level. But no one, at any school, will tolerate poor records just because the coach is a great guy. At least none that I've ever watched.
High school sports priority goals:

1) Developing young people to become Adults
2) teaching work ethic, discipline, respect
3) Providing a mentor where one may be lacking
4) Learning to face challenges/situations that may seem impossible

This is what we should judge the success of a coach at the middle and high school level. Did they provide the above items during their season. Many times, winning is natural by product of those. Ready any book by the greatest coaches of our generation, they will not disagree with "winning" not being in the list.

High school sports is ruined by your idea of where winning resides on this list. If you have have a coach that hits those 4, but is always sub 500 you need to give him/her a raise.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-03-17, 07:26 AM
bulldog5704 bulldog5704 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-28-04
Location: Bethel,OH
Posts: 930
bulldog5704 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bulldog5704
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
High school sports priority goals:

1) Developing young people to become Adults
2) teaching work ethic, discipline, respect
3) Providing a mentor where one may be lacking
4) Learning to face challenges/situations that may seem impossible

This is what we should judge the success of a coach at the middle and high school level. Did they provide the above items during their season. Many times, winning is natural by product of those. Ready any book by the greatest coaches of our generation, they will not disagree with "winning" not being in the list.

High school sports is ruined by your idea of where winning resides on this list. If you have have a coach that hits those 4, but is always sub 500 you need to give him/her a raise.
This x100 its division 6 hs football not the buckeyes
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-03-17, 09:44 AM
formerfanatic formerfanatic is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 07-27-17
Posts: 38
formerfanatic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog5704 View Post
This x100 its division 6 hs football not the buckeyes
Good luck selling that to the players and parents. You can have all of those other things you mentioned, and still win. When you don't, numbers fall. Kids won't participate. Sadly it's the way of the world.

As I said. I never had Coach Abbey as a coach, and my kids didn't play for him. This is just an observers point of view. But something isn't working. And I'm not sure how long the parents and players will tolerate it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-03-17, 04:30 PM
StateChampion2012 StateChampion2012 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-14-17
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 1,605
StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Who would you want to take over?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-03-17, 07:48 PM
formerfanatic formerfanatic is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 07-27-17
Posts: 38
formerfanatic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Who would you want to take over?
That's a great question. I have no idea. I don't have anyone in mind.

From what I have heard from several players, and really their info is all I have to go on, they don't think anyone on the current staff is suitable. I've met a few of the current staff members. All seem to be really nice guys. I don't know a whole lot about them though. I do know that Staley was the head coach previously, before Abbey, and it was an absolute wreck. That was right around the time we moved into the district and the team was in shambles. I'm not sure I'd go down that road again if I was looking.

It looks to be a relatively young staff, but that's not always bad. They may have to look outside of the district if it comes to that, maybe. Maybe not. I can't really say. I just posted this on here because I was curious what others thought and I didn't know if there were other people from within the district on here who would want to give their 2 cents anonymously.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-03-17, 08:09 PM
canofchew canofchew is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 11-21-16
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 45
canofchew is on a distinguished road
Sounds like an unhappy parent LOL, yawn
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-03-17, 08:26 PM
formerfanatic formerfanatic is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 07-27-17
Posts: 38
formerfanatic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by canofchew View Post
Sounds like an unhappy parent LOL, yawn
Try again there chief. I'm a bit gray up top and long in the tooth to have a kid playing in high school. And the grandkids are a bit too young yet for that. Just a casual observer who likes to watch HS football and has had a chance to get to know a few of the players.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-03-17, 08:29 PM
AlderFbdad60 AlderFbdad60 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 09-22-17
Location: Ackerman Road
Posts: 16
AlderFbdad60 is on a distinguished road
Can't say for sure, but I have talked to my nephew who goes to school way out there in East Lima and he says the coach is a great all around guy who does his darndest to motivate the squad. Don't really understand how you could be unhappy with the ol' ballcoach unless he is mistreating your son, but then again, I'm an Alder dad and our machine is gonna keep rolling to state behind the vision of Ed Domsitz.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-04-17, 09:38 AM
formerfanatic formerfanatic is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 07-27-17
Posts: 38
formerfanatic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlderFbdad60 View Post
Can't say for sure, but I have talked to my nephew who goes to school way out there in East Lima and he says the coach is a great all around guy who does his darndest to motivate the squad. Don't really understand how you could be unhappy with the ol' ballcoach unless he is mistreating your son, but then again, I'm an Alder dad and our machine is gonna keep rolling to state behind the vision of Ed Domsitz.
I don't think people are upset with Coach Abbey as a person. At least if they are, I haven't heard anything about it. Again, I've only met him a couple of times to exchange pleasantries, but he seems really decent. I think people are more concerned with results, or the lack of results.

What's sad to me is that people are willing to tolerate people who do mistreat kids and who basically aren't good people, simply because they win. Point is, parents are a lot more patient if the number in the win column is higher than the number in the loss column. And at Allen East, it's not. It's really not even close. And that's why people are grumbling.

So from what I can see here, pretty much everyone who has posted would gladly accept losing records so long as the coach is a good guy. I find that hard to believe. There's not a job around that keeps an employee just because he's nice. At some point you have to produce. I've been in sales for years, and trust me, if I didn't produce, I would be out of a job.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-04-17, 09:58 AM
bulldog5704 bulldog5704 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-28-04
Location: Bethel,OH
Posts: 930
bulldog5704 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bulldog5704
Again you're speaking as if being a HC at a d6 school is equivalent to a college or pro coach. Its not necessarily about beig a good dude. Its about helping to mold the young men on his team into productive men. I think people dont realize how little these guys get paid especially at small schools. If we want getting paid a full teacher salary then sure fire the guy over record but hes likely only getting 5-10k to do a job that ends up being paid about 10 cents a hour
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-04-17, 10:13 AM
serpico serpico is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-22-07
Posts: 2,580
serpico will become famous soon enough
So maybe you don't have a kid in the program - you still have an agenda here, even though you are totally passive-aggressive in pushing it. If you think the guy should go just say it instead of beating around the bush.

'The kids say', 'people are grumbling', 'they don't feel', 'there seems to me'...

It's a D6 school with some demographics that aren't great. If you can find a long-term coach who happens to be a great person and he's teaching the kids some football, you could do a lot worse.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-04-17, 05:37 PM
Stirred not Shaken Stirred not Shaken is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 12-05-14
Posts: 2,909
Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
So maybe you don't have a kid in the program - you still have an agenda here, even though you are totally passive-aggressive in pushing it. If you think the guy should go just say it instead of beating around the bush.

'The kids say', 'people are grumbling', 'they don't feel', 'there seems to me'...

It's a D6 school with some demographics that aren't great. If you can find a long-term coach who happens to be a great person and he's teaching the kids some football, you could do a lot worse.
You could also do a lot better maybe. Before Tim Goodwin the Flyers had a coach that sounded a lot like the current AE head coach. Great guy even had a life time .630 winning % over 19 years but that did not stop Flyer fans from forcing him out. Too many losses to Versailles, Saint Henry , DSJ was just starting to become a power. Tell me looking back would you rather have kept that good guy coach or a couple of years later ML ended up hiring Goodwin. Personally did not like the way it went down but the end justified the means as ML now has one of the best football programs in the state of Ohio.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-04-17, 06:11 PM
tndog tndog is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 06-02-10
Location: Ohio/Nevada
Posts: 137
tndog is on a distinguished road
Allen East wins very little in any boys sport. They have had some success in wrestling (individual sport); have had some past success in baseball
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-04-17, 09:51 PM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,886
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
It's always a good thing to use the opinions of a few players and a few parents to form an opinion about a coach. Who better to know than the football players themselves? It can't possibly be them. It has to be the coach.

I coach a MS soccer team. We have worked every single practice on crossing the ball slightly backwards across the goal away from the goalie. We have not done it a single time in a game all season. My team has such a poor grasp of the basics of the game that I have had to strip things down to 3 main concepts and goals. None of which we are yet capable of doing with any sense of competence. Can you guess which parents are upset with me? The 8 that have kids that have gotten better over the season and do the things I teach, or the 4 that have kids that don't listen, talk over me, know everything already and have not improved? I have a kid that did not show up for a practice because the parents had a team building party and the kid had to go home after school and clean the house. Think there might be a priority messed up there. I got called to the office because that kid did not start the next game! Funny how good a coach I was until we got it handed to us one game. I've gone as far as had timer so that I substitute players on a specific time schedule and have gotten questioned why this kid plays more than that kid. Kids that play the exact same amount. Parents and kids know best.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-04-17, 10:43 PM
serpico serpico is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-22-07
Posts: 2,580
serpico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
You could also do a lot better maybe. Before Tim Goodwin the Flyers had a coach that sounded a lot like the current AE head coach. Great guy even had a life time .630 winning % over 19 years but that did not stop Flyer fans from forcing him out. Too many losses to Versailles, Saint Henry , DSJ was just starting to become a power. Tell me looking back would you rather have kept that good guy coach or a couple of years later ML ended up hiring Goodwin. Personally did not like the way it went down but the end justified the means as ML now has one of the best football programs in the state of Ohio.
It certainly turned out for the best, but ML also took a major step backward before it went forward. What if ML had endured another few years of the 'backwards' and kept getting rid of subpar coaches? There is no guarantee any school is going to get a top notch coach like ML did.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-30-17, 09:55 AM
ER8868 ER8868 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-23-16
Posts: 13
ER8868 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerfanatic View Post
The title says it all. Is it time for Allen East head coach Mike Abbey to step down after this season and focus on wrestling? The Mustangs are currently 1-5 on the season. This drops Abbey's overall record as a head coach to 23-43 with 4 games left in his 7th season.

The Mustangs are young but there also seems to be a complete and total lack of control over the program. The assistant coaches are clearly running things for the Mustangs.

After the tragic loss of his son in June I can't imagine what he has been going through this year. But the record speaks for itself. It was bad before this season started. Most coaches wouldn't get away with a sub .500 record like this for very long.

I don't have a kid on the team so this is a purely objective assessment. But as a fan it's hard to watch. I know a few of the players through family friends and have talked with them and they are lost. And it shows when they step foot on the field.

Just wondering if there are any other Mustang fans on here, or any other NWC or local fans who have any thoughts. How long would your school let a record like this go?
You got what you wanted. Have they made a decision on his replacement?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-30-17, 04:14 PM
Rahiem Rahiem is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-31-16
Posts: 55
Rahiem is on a distinguished road
interviews in progress. Down to final 3, and it appears two are outsiders. We'll see what happens
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-30-17, 04:17 PM
StateChampion2012 StateChampion2012 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-14-17
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 1,605
StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Who are the candidates?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-30-17, 08:42 PM
ER8868 ER8868 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-23-16
Posts: 13
ER8868 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahiem View Post
interviews in progress. Down to final 3, and it appears two are outsiders. We'll see what happens
Do you know who any of them are? Who is the internal candidate?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-31-17, 07:38 AM
formerfanatic formerfanatic is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 07-27-17
Posts: 38
formerfanatic is on a distinguished road


Haven't heard a word.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barberton: A Coaching Legacy frecriss Barberton Magics 17 09-24-18 05:18 PM
IUDOGS: 2017 - 2018 Ohio High School Girls Basketball Coaches Changes IUDOGS Girls Basketball 156 11-08-17 01:41 PM
2017 football (my log/so far) LICKING COUNTY FAN Football 34 10-16-17 06:38 PM
Massillon Football Program: Booster Club DB135 Massillon Tigers 1 08-24-17 09:59 PM
Any NEWS on getting a new Head Football Coach to replaces coach Mike Vicars at Swanto IUDOGS Football 2 05-19-17 08:54 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz