Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-13-17, 09:29 PM
Freshman

'00WeAreSC is on a distinguished road
I stand corrected, it's still possible we get in, but we need to win out, have Perry and Fitch lose, and hopefully have Aurora and Twinsburg win out. Twinsburg win over Hudson would help a lot. It's sad we have to have all these things happen when we lost 3 close, winnable, games because our head coach just can't find a way to win these big games. So many opportunities last night to extend or maintain a lead. Very Important stat - First downs:
Mentor 27 Solon 9. Our O.C. is horrific and always has been. Who throws a bubble screen on 3rd and 19, and doesn't go under center, EVER? This guy's offensive design is mind boggling.

Last edited by '00WeAreSC; 10-14-17 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-14-17, 02:51 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Solon suffered yet another incredibly disappointing loss last night. The Comets had favored Mentor down by 11 points late in the third quarter, only to let it all slip away, as the Cardinals mounted a late drive and scored the winning TD with about 40 seconds left. Solon had fourth quarter leads in all three of its losses but melted down at crunch time in each instance. This has been a deeply frustrating season, one which will probably end in two weeks, because the Comets need a Lourdes miracle to make the playoffs.

The first three quarters of last night's game were the most exciting and enjoyable of the season. Underdog Solon fell behind Mentor, then battled back because of some opportunistic defense and the incredible talents of Trevon Raphael. Solon had picked off Mentor QB Tadas Tatarunas four times (and also forced a fumble that Solon recovered deep in Card territory that the officials missed). The Comets capitalized with a pair of TD passes from QB J.T. Caver to Raphael, which kept Solon close in the first half. The Comets trailed, 20-14 at intermission. Caver had suffered an ankle sprain in the first half that sent him to the sidelines for a few series. When he returned, it was apparent that he had little mobility. The injury adversely affected Solon's offense. In addition, Caver never played another down on defense after he was hurt.

Early in the third quarter, Thomas Wilks broke through the Mentor D for a 25-yard TD run that gave Solon its first lead, at 21-20. The Cards regained the lead on a FG but Raphael returned the ensuing kickoff for an 88-yard TD. It was the first time all season that Trevon had returned a kickoff.

The next time Solon got the ball, Raphael took a jet sweep around left end for a 74-yard TD. A couple of Mentor defenders looked as if they had an angle on him, but Raphael just loped past them. Solon's lead grew to 34-23 and the Comets appeared to have Mentor on the run. The Comets kept finding ways to make big plays on offense and they hounded Tatarunas on defense. The big reason for all the early interceptions was the constant pressure that Solon generated. The Comets chased Tatarunas; they hit him and they made him uncomfortable in the pocket.

But once Solon got the lead, I had a premonition that it wouldn't last. Why? Because I feared that the Comets would turn stone conservative and try to whittle down the clock, instead of doing the things that put them ahead in the first place. And that's what happened. Solon's offense became Wilks up the middle, Wilks up the middle, Wilks up the middle, punt. Except when it was third-and-long, then it was Wilks twice and a long incompletion. The Comets stopped throwing intermediate passes, they stopped running jet sweeps, and they never threw a screen to counter Mentor's pass rush. After Raphael scored the TD, he never touched the ball again on offense. Andrew Mason, who took a jet sweep for a 70-yard TD run in last year's game at Mentor, never touched the ball on offense last night.

Solon couldn't sustain an offense after taking the 11-point lead. Even a good back like Wilks is helpless when the defense knows what's coming. And Solon just doesn't have the offensive line to salt a game away with ball control. Wilks just can't get the blocks he needs to hold a late lead by himself.

Conversely, once Solon took the lead, Tatarunas suddenly had enough time to pick out any receiver he wanted. I counted 4, 5, 6 seconds each time he passed. Solon stopped putting heat on him altogether. The Comets didn't blitz. Solon committed seven guys to pass defense on every down. When receivers weren't open, Tatarunas waited,,, and waited some more until someone broke free. I don't know if Solon changed anything on defense. I don't remember if, or how often, Solon blitzed in the first half. All I know is that Solon's D made life miserable for Tatarunas until the Comets got an 11-point lead, then they just stopped competing.

I'm trying real hard not to be negative and I want to be fair. But Jeez Louise!!! It's getting real hard to watch Solon blow late leads every time they get in a tight game against a team of their own caliber. Forget Aurora and Twinsburg. Solon should have hammered those teams. The Comets played those into closer games than they should have been.

Is Solon better than Mentor? Doubtful. But while Mentor has the talent to score a lot of points, they're just flawed enough to give a game away with mistakes. Solon took it away from Mentor last night, then gave it right back to them.

Last edited by Metacomet; 10-16-17 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-16-17, 03:15 PM
All District

Thunderstruck2652 is on a distinguished road
The most frustrating aspect of what Solon's program has become under McQuaide is that there have been some really talented players who've been on the roster in recent years - in many cases, kids more naturally talented than those who played on the late 90's and early 2000's teams which made appearances in the State Semi's and the Finals - and the coaching staff is clearly getting less with more. Going out on a limb, I'd say conservatively that McQuaide has probably seen twice the number D-1 College Athletic Scholarship Recipients go through his program than Morgan did. That is an awful lot of individual and team talent produced by a program that hasn't won more than two playoff games in any year since the current Head Coach has been there.

Ohio is a football rich state both in terms of player talent and COACHING. I'm not trying to beat up on a guy who by most accounts is a nice person that's well-liked by most of the parents and school administration. All that I'm trying to say is that after 15 years of the status quo and not breaking through, IT IS TIME for someone else to have a chance to do better! It just feels like the head coach is taking his job security for granted and is awfully comfortable for a guy that hasn't done much lately to justify that security. Moreover, I guarantee that there is somebody available right now in the state that could be doing a better job.

Last edited by Thunderstruck2652; 10-16-17 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-19-17, 05:26 AM
All Region

jimbo is on a distinguished road
figures

Not a good sign when starting QB is wearing a walking boot this week...

Old 10-19-17, 07:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Not a good sign when starting QB is wearing a walking boot this week...

J.T. played on one good leg for most of the Mentor game. He had no mobility whatsoever. And he didn't play a single down on defense after injuring the ankle. Would Solon have beaten Mentor with a healthy, mobile Caver? We'll never know.

If Caver plays and can do anything more than hand off, Solon should beat Shaker by two scores. But if J.T. can't go and if the freshman plays every offensive snap, then Solon might lose its first-ever game vs. Shaker. The Comets are 12-0 all-time against the Red Raiders. But they need J.T. at QB to make it 13-0.

Last edited by Metacomet; 10-19-17 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-19-17, 09:29 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
J.T. played on one good leg for most of the Mentor game. He had no mobility whatsoever. And he didn't play a single down on defense after injuring the ankle. Would Solon have beaten Mentor with a healthy, mobile Caver? We'll never know.

If Caver plays and can do anything more than hand off, Solon should beat Shaker by two scores. But if J.T. can't go and if the freshman plays every offensive snap, then Solon might lose its first-ever game vs. Shaker. The Comets are 12-0 all-time against the Red Raiders. But they need J.T. at QB to make it 13-0.
We'd have a much better shot with Cartellone than the freshman if JT can't go. . . Still trying to figure out what #5 did so terribly in the first few games to have effectively gotten benched for the season and go from the starter to the end of the bench behind a freshman. . . The first snap #7 took in the Mentor game, when JT came out, hit him in the facemask. Literally. It's a complete mockery to every one who's ever played in this program that that kid is even dressed on Friday nights, let alone considered a legitimate option to lead this team. The junior JV quarterback, who I've heard is having a great season, might as well quit next year. It's really unfortunate that the head coach has exhibited this level of nepotism without any regard for the players, parents, and community.

Solon could have beaten Mentor if any number of plays don't happen. The freak pick/bobble/touchdown. The phantom "no fumble". Cavers injury. The blatant holding that was consistently not called. There were so many. We were right there. . .

Solon's 3 losses have been to 2 of the AP top 10 Div 1 teams in the state of Ohio, and 3 of the top 6 teams in D1R1 each by one possession and a combined total of 12 pts. This team has a boat load of talent and potential, I just think it's being squandered to the point of thunderstruck and metacomet's posts above.
Old 10-20-17, 01:38 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Bad coaching staff if Perry wins solon is done.
Old 10-20-17, 09:37 PM
All District

Comets111 is on a distinguished road
Now with no playoffs = new coaching staff not acceptable to not be making the playoffs and so tired of the coaching staff not being able to win a BIG games and close losses do not give you anything and it is happening every season
Old 10-21-17, 03:36 PM
All Region

Yuck

Total embarrassment today...

Old 10-21-17, 03:44 PM
All District

Its Sick
Old 10-22-17, 01:07 PM
All Yappi

I'm glad I'm not the first person to express my frustrations following yesterday's disaster at Shaker Heights. Solon suffered a 14-7 defeat to a terrible Shaker team. The Comets' playoff chances are gone, baby, gone. How poor is Shaker? The Red Raiders were winless in GCC play before yesterday. Shaker had lost to Brunswick, Medina and Elyria (Elyria's lone win in 2017). Shaker's three previous victories had come over Shaw, John Adams and Collinwood. That's right. Two Senate teams and an LEL bottom feeder. And now they've beaten the Comets. This is the worst defeat of McQuaide's career, at least his Solon career. So much for near-victories over Stow, Euclid and Mentor.

Here's a quick rundown for those who weren't there: Solon's lone touchdown came on a 58-yard, first period interception by Sammy Bubonics. Solon's offense never remotely threatened to score, not even when Zyon Mowry returned an INT inside Shaker's 30 yard line in the fourth quarter. The Comets were quickly repelled.

J.T. Caver started at QB, and it was obvious from the get-go that he shouldn't have played. He could hardly move. Everything he threw was off his back foot, because he couldn't plant his front foot. Most everything he threw was off-target and when he was accurate, Comet receivers dropped the ball. Shaker's D ganged up on RB Thomas Wilks, so Solon never generated much of a ground game. Just guessing here, but I'd say the Comets gained about 150 yards and made perhaps six first downs. And they were playing a team that gives up about 30 points per game.

Solon's defense shut Shaker down in the first half. According to the PD, the Comets sacked Raider QB Jamir Dismukes eight times in the first two periods.

Solon turned to freshman QB Patrick McQuaide in the second half. On his first drive, McQuaide threw an interception. Shaker turned that into the tying TD. Caver returned to play QB with just under six minutes left in the game. He, too, threw a pick, and Shaker turned that into the winning score.

Once again, I'm trying hard to be less controversial than I once was. But it was obvious to anyone watching yesterday's game that Caver was too injured to play and Patrick McQuaide just isn't ready to play. Others have mentioned Joe Cartellone and Brett Shannon. When Cartellone was benched earlier, I thought it was the right decision. I thought Joey had lost his confidence. But even when he struggled, he played much better than what we saw yesterday. And what about Shannon? I must confess that I don't get to JV games now because of my work schedule, so I haven't seen much of Shannon. But I don't doubt that he'd be an improvement over yesterday's performance.

I don't want it to seem that I'm blaming J.T. or Patrick in any way. Each kid did his best. But J.T. was limited by his injury and Patrick was limited by his inexperience.

Now who does Solon play at QB Friday vs. Medina? One thing for sure, if the Comets get QB play like they did against Shaker, Solon will lose again and turn a once-promising season into a 5-5 mediocrity
Old 10-22-17, 01:20 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Shaker heights could easy be 7 2 not a bad team.Refs cost them the Strongsville game,barely lost to Brunswick Elyria. Solon coaching staff needs to be fired.
Old 10-22-17, 05:42 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Shaker Heights sucks - period
Old 10-22-17, 07:38 PM
All District

intheknow
It is time for the administration to admit that McQuaide is done. It should have happened years ago.

Unless we get a new leader on the sidelines we will continue to be mediocre at best. It is disgraceful to lose to Shaker.
Old 10-23-17, 09:17 AM
All Yappi

I had guessed that Solon only gained about 150 yards vs. Shaker Saturday. It was worse than that. How about 115 yards to a team that was 0-5 in the league coming into the game? Solon managed eight first downs. Yardage broke down to 65 on the ground and 50 through the air. Solon passed 27 times and only gained 50 yards out of all those attempts. That's beyond woeful.

Shaker gained 225 yards; 182 came in the second half. The Raiders had minus-72 rushing yards in the first half, thanks to all the sacks. They rushed for something like 140 in the second half.

If the Comets produce a similar offensive performance Friday, they'll get beaten by yet another three-win team; in this case, Medina. Hey, Medina beat Shaker something like 36-23 a few weeks ago, so it really could happen.
Old 10-24-17, 10:57 PM
Freshman

monteboard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I had guessed that Solon only gained about 150 yards vs. Shaker Saturday. It was worse than that. How about 115 yards to a team that was 0-5 in the league coming into the game? Solon managed eight first downs. Yardage broke down to 65 on the ground and 50 through the air. Solon passed 27 times and only gained 50 yards out of all those attempts. That's beyond woeful.

Shaker gained 225 yards; 182 came in the second half. The Raiders had minus-72 rushing yards in the first half, thanks to all the sacks. They rushed for something like 140 in the second half.

If the Comets produce a similar offensive performance Friday, they'll get beaten by yet another three-win team; in this case, Medina. Hey, Medina beat Shaker something like 36-23 a few weeks ago, so it really could happen.
for Stow's sake, please don't have this happen
Old 10-26-17, 08:05 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheknow View Post
It is time for the administration to admit that McQuaide is done. It should have happened years ago.

Unless we get a new leader on the sidelines we will continue to be mediocre at best. It is disgraceful to lose to Shaker.
There are a ton of politics in play at Solon right now that will ensure that McQuaide keeps his job at least for the next three years.

To begin with, the Head Coach's son (who was either a freshman or sophomore this year) is a QB on the team. Knowing the Superintendent, Principal and Athletic Director of the school, there is no way that they'll be willing to oust the coach while his son is attending the high school - the culture at the school is all about coddling and hand-holding the students and the optics of such a move would be the exact opposite of that image. Unless the team really goes south and has a losing record some time before the coach's son graduates, McQuaide will be safe.

As much as I want them to make a change, in fairness to the son it's not like he chose to have his Dad coaching at the High School which he's attending and seeing his Dad ousted would create an unfair distraction from school and sports. Probably the best thing for everybody would be to have the coach voluntarily take on a lesser role either as an assistant or an administrative role. Less awkward for everybody, particularly for the school administration which seems to have been taken over by the politically correct culture and millennials.

With all that said, this was the first year in which the grumbling about McQuaide developed from a small but vocal minority to a consensus of parents and fans that are tired of underperforming teams. Solon had a really talented team this year and for them to miss the playoffs altogether is patently unacceptable IMO - even an average coach could have guided this team into the playoffs 9 out of 10 times; out of all of the games that they lost, every single one of them was a close loss that even an average coach probably would have lucked into winning one or two of them. McQuaide will be in his position for another 3 years but if the team underperforms like it did this season over those three years, look for a change at that time.
Old 10-26-17, 08:50 AM
Freshman

Pretty sad that there would be more concern from the administration for 1 freshman son of the head coach than there was for about 26 seniors this year. . . But I guess that's typical to the culture you just described. What a Disgrace. And you're right, pretty much everyone wants Mcquaide out of Solon at this point. . . It's not even up for debate among the community as far as I can tell.

You do realize he has another, younger, son coming up too right? Does that mean 8 more years? 9 more?? Never a better time than right now, and if the administration wants to keep the community from absolutely exploding on this program following the fall sports banquet (I'm sure nobody wants to say anything now because of the history of the coach black balling players who's parents question anything), they'll do what's right for the school system and not perpetuate the blatant nepotism.

The coaches always tell the players that they refuse to listen to the outside noise, but that outside noise is a legitimate concern from the community for their children. You better be listening when the people who have entrusted you with the development of their offspring have a problem with the way you do things. . . Especially this many people. Its not grumbling anymore, is desperation from everyone. The city of Solon needs to demand better for the future of it's youth.

Last edited by '00WeAreSC; 10-26-17 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-26-17, 12:34 PM
Freshman

SolonComets00 is on a distinguished road
Sad Season

The poor seniors. Bottom line - hopefully someone will apologize to them for ruining their entire season. They worked hard, barely had the summer off, skipped family vacations to concentrate on their senior football year and for what?
Old 10-26-17, 12:55 PM
All Yappi

I don't know if the degree of dissent is any greater than its been since 2006. People have been talking about replacing McQuaide since that time. But it won't happen. McQ has the full support of Superintendent Joseph Regano and AD Mark McGuire. They could care less what the rabble thinks (that's how they see the fan base). McQuaide also has the support of most of the faculty. He's a popular guy in the halls of the high school, and they all want to stick up for a colleague.

One thing to keep in mind: Solon has a chance to be very, very good in 2019. The Comets have a tremendous sophomore class, even in the absence of arguably its top player, RB/LB Joe Formani, who transferred to St. Edward after his freshman year. The 2019 Comets have a chance to win the GCC and go deep in the playoffs. And Patrick McQuaide will almost surely be quarterbacking that team. I believe it's been a terrible mistake to play young McQuaide this year, because he's clearly not ready for varsity ball. But I also consider myself a decent judge of talent, and I think Patrick has the potential to be a star someday.
Old 10-26-17, 01:44 PM
Pecunious

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Plenty of coaches have been let go after years of seemingly having total support of admins. I would not be surprised if a move is made.
Old 10-26-17, 02:04 PM
Freshman

New Coach

Funny it doesn't matter if you are a Solon Comet spectator, current parent or former parent of SC FB players - it seems agreed upon that the head coach has to be replaced. The Shaker game was the last straw. Coach (McQuaide) let his pride stand in the way of doing the right thing - which would have been replace BOTH QBs with either Cartellone or Casamento. This would have surely WON that game. (same for vs. Euclid and Mentor.....) BUT, McQuaide would have had to admit that he was wrong - that he should not have played the injured Caver or his freshman son who has thrown interceptions, gotten sacked and or fumbled snaps in every game played - even at the JV level. He needed to wait his turn - until timing was right and he gained experience at the Freshman level, not at the expense of a season. To throw away an entire season is completely irresponsible of the head coach. He had NO regard for the seniors this year - he just chalked it up to a losing season but it was a complete embarrassment to the seniors and school. McQuaide's judgment has been in question a ton of times over his coaching career, especially putting Richardson in as the head OC and letting Surdy walk away. McQuaide refused to admit his mistake and NEVER put a stop to Richardson's predictive play calling which LOST / nearly Lost many games. It's infuriating to watch other teams be creative in their play calling when Solon runs the exact same predictive 3 or 4 offensive plays that the players and parents complain about to no avail. All this because McQuaide won't admit that he put the WRONG OC in there in the first place? And this season the worst in many, many years just because he insisted on playing HIS FRESHMAN son? Just QUIT McQuaide, make it easy on yourself, your family and the community. You are DONE here, lost respect and embarrassed Solon Football. Most of all, RUINED an entire year for the seniors....their last year. Very sad
Old 10-26-17, 02:13 PM
All District

who cares if the staff at solon likes him, and who cares if his son is playing, he has never been a good coach and the players are not playing for him. He is not the only coach that needs to go both offense and defensive coach needs to go terrible play calling every year in the big games (the one yard screen passes) and for defense in big games teams scored 30 plus points due to bad game planing. One more thing if his son is the QB for the next 3 years solon will not make the playoffs which would then make it 4 years in a row, there will be signs in his front yard at that point lol
Old 10-27-17, 08:41 AM
All Region

perspective

No one said that playoffs are a guarantee.
Having a closed enrollment, less football participation in younger programs and football injuries all present coaching problems for any school, let alone Solon.
There are pros and cons for each side of this argument.

Here's hoping we can all continue to support our Comets!
Old 10-27-17, 08:53 AM
Freshman

no excuses

Jimbo let's not try to change direction of blame. All true - yes, but to not redirect plays, positions and coaching strategies to work with a team with much talent = time for new coaching staff. Add nepotism this year with the crash of the season due to the Coach deciding to throw the season for his freshman son to gain varsity experience at QB and letter as a freshman and it was a direct recipe for disaster. (Bubonics' sons had a degree of this and another coach has young Solon boys entering the program soon - time to hire a new staff. ) This disaster could have been corrected mid season but McQuaide would not swallow his pride and admit bad decision making. Rather, make the team suffer. As for Solon Comet fans, as many of us being ticket holders for 15+++ years, we have all seen the crowd drastically decrease (band crowd increases, football fans decrease).
This is a direct relation to decision making by coaches. Look around at the stadium - never, ever filled like it has been in years past. Wake up. I know many "regulars" who will not renew next year. Too hard to watch.
Old 10-27-17, 08:54 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Having a closed enrollment, less football participation in younger programs and football injuries all present coaching problems for any school, let alone Solon.

Playoffs or no playoffs this season was an embarrassment and it's unacceptable. What transpired this season was far worse than just missing the playoffs for the first time in 5 years with an abundance of talent. Not sure there is much of an argument to that. We support our comets endlessly, just not their leader.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-17, 10:58 AM
All District

Quote:

the coaching is hurting the team more than anything
Old 10-27-17, 03:38 PM
All District

Quote:
I don't know if the degree of dissent is any greater than its been since 2006. People have been talking about replacing McQuaide since that time. But it won't happen. McQ has the full support of Superintendent Joseph Regano and AD Mark McGuire. They could care less what the rabble thinks (that's how they see the fan base). McQuaide also has the support of most of the faculty. He's a popular guy in the halls of the high school, and they all want to stick up for a colleague.

One thing to keep in mind: Solon has a chance to be very, very good in 2019. The Comets have a tremendous sophomore class, even in the absence of arguably its top player, RB/LB Joe Formani, who transferred to St. Edward after his freshman year. The 2019 Comets have a chance to win the GCC and go deep in the playoffs. And Patrick McQuaide will almost surely be quarterbacking that team. I believe it's been a terrible mistake to play young McQuaide this year, because he's clearly not ready for varsity ball. But I also consider myself a decent judge of talent, and I think Patrick has the potential to be a star someday.
I could go in any number of directions in response to your post, in which you make a lot of really accurate and insightful comments.

Your comment that the AD Mark McGuire views the parents and fans at large as rabble is 100% fact - couldn't have said it better myself. He's been openly dismissive of any dissenting opinions from parents and the community - the people who pay his salary and should rightfully be able to expect the best for their kids - which begs the question as to why his performance isn't being scrutinized more closely as well. Just an overall very arrogant person who's been complicit in the growing bureaucracy at the school and defense of certain coaches despite repeated poor performances.

Regarding 2019, all of us who've followed the team since McQuaide became HC have heard this story before about how the Comets are going to have a great team because of the talent coming up; let me tell you how the story will end - the best players who have the option to do so will wind up playing at Eds or Ignatius because the players like that despise mediocrity. 2019 could be the greatest assembly of talent that the school has ever produced, it still doesn't change the fact that if McQuaide is the head coach they won't be playing beyond Week 12. The team badly needs fresh blood at Head Coach - somebody who can develop talent, motivate players, build a team and who doesn't choke as a play-caller in big games!

Last edited by Thunderstruck2652; 10-27-17 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-27-17, 04:05 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolonComets00 View Post
Jimbo let's not try to change direction of blame. All true - yes, but to not redirect plays, positions and coaching strategies to work with a team with much talent = time for new coaching staff. Add nepotism this year with the crash of the season due to the Coach deciding to throw the season for his freshman son to gain varsity experience at QB and letter as a freshman and it was a direct recipe for disaster. (Bubonics' sons had a degree of this and another coach has young Solon boys entering the program soon - time to hire a new staff. ) This disaster could have been corrected mid season but McQuaide would not swallow his pride and admit bad decision making. Rather, make the team suffer. As for Solon Comet fans, as many of us being ticket holders for 15+++ years, we have all seen the crowd drastically decrease (band crowd increases, football fans decrease).
This is a direct relation to decision making by coaches. Look around at the stadium - never, ever filled like it has been in years past. Wake up. I know many "regulars" who will not renew next year. Too hard to watch.
Excellent points all around, although in the case of Bubonics' sons I'd go as far as to say that there may not have been any clearly superior options at their respective positions without having some key players starting on both sides of the football and at least they were talented enough to hold their own early on. McQuaide's son starting at QB at any point in time during the regular season was LAUGHABLE specifically because of the fact that there were TWO clearly superior options. Also due to the fact that this was an otherwise very talented team capable of competing with the best teams in the area that didn't have to suffer this fate.

I can't speak for the rest of the staff, but McQuaide specifically has some apologizing to do (no explanation necessary, just an apology) - to the parents, but especially to the seniors.
Old 10-27-17, 05:24 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck2652 View Post
I could go in any number of directions in response to your post, in which you make a lot of really accurate and insightful comments.

Your comment that the AD Mark McGuire views the parents and fans at large as rabble is 100% fact - couldn't have said it better myself. He's been openly dismissive of any dissenting opinions from parents and the community - the people who pay his salary and should rightfully be able to expect the best for their kids - which begs the question as to why his performance isn't being scrutinized more closely as well. Just an overall very arrogant person who's been complicit in the growing bureaucracy at the school and defense of certain coaches despite repeated poor performances.

Regarding 2019, all of us who've followed the team since McQuaide became HC have heard this story before about how the Comets are going to have a great team because of the talent coming up; let me tell you how the story will end - the best players who have the option to do so will wind up playing at Eds or Ignatius because the players like that despise mediocrity. 2019 could be the greatest assembly of talent that the school has ever produced, it still doesn't change the fact that if McQuaide is the head coach they won't be playing beyond Week 12. The team badly needs fresh blood at Head Coach - somebody who can develop talent, motivate players, build a team and who doesn't choke as a play-caller in big games!
they leave solon due to the coaching staff being so terrible, I dont blame them and even our best coaches we have had in the past leave after one year because they dont like who is on top