Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-05-18, 04:19 PM
Varsity

Vinegar is on a distinguished road
Sycamore To ECC?

Basketball thread says they applied? True? Does Comet Country have the inside scoop?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-18, 08:14 PM
All American

KingKong24 is on a distinguished road
Don’t know what they would have to gain. Maybe less travel time overall? Would be a step down in competition.
Old 01-10-18, 09:11 AM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
They struggle in a few sports in the GMC but overall they always do very well, finishing top 3-4 in the all-sports trophy rankings.

With one of the smaller enrollments in their current conference, their level of success is quite impressive IMHO. One could argue that the average student there has a higher likelihood of having private coaching, access to offseason development etc. but the same could be said for some other GMC schools (Mason, Lakotas, maybe some at Fairfield/Oak Hills) and I would argue the majority of the current ECC members (really all but Walnut and Withrow and even Walnut has their fair share I bet).

Agree not much to gain except maybe a better shot at football conference championships?

Personally I don't see any obvious choices for new ECC members. It will likely be a few surprises. Is the E in ECC a major criteria point?

A spitball list IMHO:

Lebanon-if for nothing else they always seem to be brought up in expansion talks. Wouldn't be a seismic addition but would be solid overall as I would think they travel well, have good facilities, can field teams at all levels etc.

Little Miami (geographically pretty close and have had a strong overall athletic program in the SWOC. Would they do well with a big jump in competition?) Every road contest for them in the SWOC is pretty substantial travel, especially for every school except Northwest and Mt. Healthy.

Princeton-don't see them leaving the GMC but would be strong competition. Questions about depth/quality at lower levels for teams?

Winton Woods: definitely the largest school in the region without a home. In some sports they are as strong as anyone (or better) with a state finals appearance in football this past season as a good example. They've been standing there waiting for years and the ECC has not extended an invitation yet-would that change? Questions on the depth across the entire athletics program down into middle school?
Old 01-10-18, 09:51 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
If true, I suspect that the Sycamore folks have taken a hard look at the demographics over the next decade and know that they are headed for a permanent spot in D2 so they decided that since the EEC is asking for applicants they might as well make the move now that they would likely have had to make in the coming years. The bonus for them will be a cut in travel to.

I don't see Princeton making the move as I suspect with that fancy new campus their demographics have stabilized and they will be solidly in D1 for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-10-18, 10:00 AM
All Yappi

redskin17 is on a distinguished road
Also remember Sycamore's Principal and AD came from Kings.
Old 01-10-18, 10:39 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
The bonus for them will be a cut in travel to.

The travel aspect is a good point. They won't have to deviate too far from I-71 and I-275 much.

Anderson: 30 minute drive 25 miles
Kings: 15-20 minute drive up 71, 12 miles
Milford: 20 minutes, 15 miles
Turpin: about 30 minute drive either way17-24 miles depending on route
Walnut Hills: 20 minutes, 14 miles
West Clermont: 25 minutes, 22 miles
Withrow: 15-20 minute drive down 71, 12 miles

Kings and Withrow seem to be the closest in terms of travel time. The two Forest Hills Schools will be the furthest away.

It shaves about 10-20 minutes off of average travel time compared to most GMC schools. Even Mason, which borders the school district, is a 20 minute drive depending on how you go. Hamilton and Middletown are the longest commutes, at around 40 minutes plus.

This is using Google maps assuming car travel. Even longer on the good old yellow buses!
Old 01-10-18, 09:55 PM
All Ohio

JUSTGOPLAY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
They struggle in a few sports in the GMC but overall they always do very well, finishing top 3-4 in the all-sports trophy rankings.

With one of the smaller enrollments in their current conference, their level of success is quite impressive IMHO. One could argue that the average student there has a higher likelihood of having private coaching, access to offseason development etc. but the same could be said for some other GMC schools (Mason, Lakotas, maybe some at Fairfield/Oak Hills) and I would argue the majority of the current ECC members (really all but Walnut and Withrow and even Walnut has their fair share I bet).

Agree not much to gain except maybe a better shot at football conference championships?

Personally I don't see any obvious choices for new ECC members. It will likely be a few surprises. Is the E in ECC a major criteria point?

A spitball list IMHO:

Lebanon-if for nothing else they always seem to be brought up in expansion talks. Wouldn't be a seismic addition but would be solid overall as I would think they travel well, have good facilities, can field teams at all levels etc.

Little Miami (geographically pretty close and have had a strong overall athletic program in the SWOC. Would they do well with a big jump in competition?) Every road contest for them in the SWOC is pretty substantial travel, especially for every school except Northwest and Mt. Healthy.

Princeton-don't see them leaving the GMC but would be strong competition. Questions about depth/quality at lower levels for teams?

Winton Woods: definitely the largest school in the region without a home. In some sports they are as strong as anyone (or better) with a state finals appearance in football this past season as a good example. They've been standing there waiting for years and the ECC has not extended an invitation yet-would that change? Questions on the depth across the entire athletics program down into middle school?
I don't see Sycamore or Princeton being even remotely interested in leaving the GMC.....This whole ECC posting "We are accepting applications for new members" at the top of their web page is weird. Why wouldn't they just call Winton Woods? Go to nine schools, play eight league football games which would mean they would only need to fill two non-league spots. I know there are a couple of ECC schools that would not like the addition on Winton, especially for football, maybe this is intended to send them a message.
Old 01-11-18, 08:43 AM
All Yappi

IF the Princeton rumors are true, which wouldn't surprise me, same as Sycamore, you may see something like this:

ECC
Anderson
Turpin
Milford
Loveland
Kings
Walnut
Withrow
Sycamore
Princeton
Little Miami

GMC
Colerain
Oak Hills
Hamilton
Fairfield
Lakota West
Lakota East
Middletown
West Clermont
Mason
Lebanon

SWOC
Harrison
Edgewood
Mt Healthy
Northwest
Ross
Talawanda
Winton Woods
Western Hills/Woodward make sense from a size stand point, but maybe stuck at 7
Old 01-11-18, 08:48 AM
Varsity

LM Panthers is on a distinguished road
Quote:

A spitball list IMHO:

I wish this would happen for LM the travel for us is just plain stupid. Plus the attendance is terrible for SWOC sporting events. I've heard one rumor of us going to the GWOC South. Alot has to do with football in my opinion and I don't think the ECC would want us for that reason.
Old 01-11-18, 09:00 AM
All Region

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM Panthers View Post
I wish this would happen for LM the travel for us is just plain stupid. Plus the attendance is terrible for SWOC sporting events. I've heard one rumor of us going to the GWOC South. Alot has to do with football in my opinion and I don't think the ECC would want us for that reason.
Why would the ECC not want Little Miami for football? Little Miami should compete better than Walnut in ECC.
Old 01-11-18, 09:58 AM
All District

TR1982 is on a distinguished road
Cincifbfan what is your beef with Walnut? Only asking because you never have anything positive to say about them (at least not since i've been on the boards).
Old 01-11-18, 11:08 AM
All Region

My beef is simple as I've stated on these boards. They illegally hired 2 football coaches, cheated their academics with the use of Virtual High School, covered up the illegal hires. Was there any recourse for all responsible parties, no. AD that hired him retired, District AD retired, principal retired, Assistant AD gets promoted to District AD, and Superintendent retires. Nobody called any of those responsible parties to task for what they did, plus the School Board approved those hires and most reelected. Bad stuff over in the athletic Dept. Of Ohio's number 1 public high school. Too many checks in place and nobody spoke up. They also fired the only Football coach to take them to the playoffs, to hire the criminal. That's my deal. Shady doesn't begin to explain Walnut and how it deals with things.
Old 01-11-18, 11:38 AM
All District

TR1982 is on a distinguished road
interesting.
Old 01-11-18, 12:15 PM
All Region

Did I misspeak on any of what I addressed?
Old 01-11-18, 02:49 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
Why would the ECC not want Little Miami for football? Little Miami should compete better than Walnut in ECC.
I hope your right and they do take us. I don't know why we didn't join in the first place. I don't know the reasoning why. Maybe LM didn't want in but geographic wise its perfect for us. I just think alot of these conferences are made from the football side of things. Which bring in the most money and 2 years ago we weren't very good. Now we will probably come back down to earth next year and go .500. This would also be nice for are non-league games, we would only have to find 2.

I hope the ECC thinks the same as you and gets us in.
Old 01-11-18, 05:17 PM
All Ohio

bluengoldblinders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by redskin17 View Post
IF the Princeton rumors are true, which wouldn't surprise me, same as Sycamore, you may see something like this:

ECC
Anderson
Turpin
Milford
Loveland
Kings
Walnut
Withrow
Sycamore
Princeton
Little Miami

GMC
Colerain
Oak Hills
Hamilton
Fairfield
Lakota West
Lakota East
Middletown
West Clermont
Mason
Lebanon

SWOC
Harrison
Edgewood
Mt Healthy
Northwest
Ross
Talawanda
Winton Woods
Western Hills/Woodward make sense from a size stand point, but maybe stuck at 7
This looks pretty good from where I see it.

I only have one question is what does the GMC do if and when Lakota ends up with a third HS? Not that that's happening next year, but like the suburban districts in Columbus, I can easily see how West Chester ends up with a third HS the way it's continued to grow.
Old 01-11-18, 06:07 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengoldblinders View Post
This looks pretty good from where I see it.

I only have one question is what does the GMC do if and when Lakota ends up with a third HS? Not that that's happening next year, but like the suburban districts in Columbus, I can easily see how West Chester ends up with a third HS the way it's continued to grow.
Lakota has been shrinking for the past 3-4 years. A third HS probably isn’t happening.
Old 01-11-18, 08:26 PM
All Ohio

Tardis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
Lakota has been shrinking for the past 3-4 years. A third HS probably isnít happening.
The growth of Harrison, Little Miami, Lebanon, Springboro, etc. has hurt the chance of this. A third Lakota, the merging of Anderson and Turpin, the merging of Northwest and Colerain all make sense but will probably not happen whether it be for population or political reasons.

It is interesting that as one school dominates and continues to grow (Mason), the others schools in the GMC have either stabilized in population or started a gradual decline.

Cincinnati used to be mostly a group of large DI schools but is slowly seeing most of them become average sized or nearing closer and closer to DII size. Lasalle, Sycamore, and Princeton are all close to the cut-off and within a decade Colerain will be there too. Outside of Mason and St. X, most of the traditional large schools have probably hit their peak size. Though compared to some states those two would still be average size.
Old 01-11-18, 09:51 PM
All American

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
From a very good GMC source at the recent GMC AD meeting:

Sycamore and Princeton are virtually certain to be heading to the ECC for the 2019-2020 school year. They will play one more season in the GMC to fulfill schedules. Also a good bet that Little Miami joins the ECC as well. Winton Woods and West Clermont could be schools to replace Sycamore and Princeton in the GMC in discussions. It's a fluid situation.
Old 01-11-18, 10:24 PM
All Ohio

K-man
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post

Sycamore and Princeton are virtually certain to be heading to the ECC for the 2019-2020 school year. They will play one more season in the GMC to fulfill schedules. Also a good bet that Little Miami joins the ECC as well. Winton Woods and West Clermont could be schools to replace Sycamore and Princeton in the GMC in discussions. It's a fluid situation.
I like that a lot
Old 01-12-18, 07:59 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post

I have pretty much heard the same to a degree. Like I said not really surprised with Princeton, Sycamore and Little Miami.

West Clermont is probably a sure thing to the GMC. I don't think Winton Woods would get a nod due to size. I think the GMC makes a strong run at Lebanon and possibly Springboro. Here is another thought, since Princeton, also a founding member could be leaving, Could Middletown jump ship to the SWOC with Winton Woods.

ECC
Anderson
Turpin
Milford
Loveland
Kings
Walnut
Withrow
Sycamore
Princeton
Little Miami

GMC
Colerain
Fairfield
Hamilton
Mason
Oak Hills
West
East
West Clermont
Springboro
Lebanon

SWOC
Ross
Edgewood
Talawanda
Harrison
Mount Healthy
Northwest
Winton Woods
Middletown
Western Hills
Taft
Old 01-12-18, 08:41 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengoldblinders View Post
when Lakota ends up with a third HS?
Population trends being what they are, I can't see this as a need for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-12-18, 09:09 AM
All American

KingKong24 is on a distinguished road
I think Lebanon and Springboro are pretty content in the GWOC but who knows.
Old 01-12-18, 09:37 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I have pretty much heard the same to a degree. Like I said not really surprised with Princeton, Sycamore and Little Miami.

West Clermont is probably a sure thing to the GMC. I don't think Winton Woods would get a nod due to size. I think the GMC makes a strong run at Lebanon and possibly Springboro. Here is another thought, since Princeton, also a founding member could be leaving, Could Middletown jump ship to the SWOC with Winton Woods.

ECC
Anderson
Turpin
Milford
Loveland
Kings
Walnut
Withrow
Sycamore
Princeton
Little Miami

GMC
Colerain
Fairfield
Hamilton
Mason
Oak Hills
West
East
West Clermont
Springboro
Lebanon

SWOC
Ross
Edgewood
Talawanda
Harrison
Mount Healthy
Northwest
Winton Woods
Middletown
Western Hills
Taft
The ECC and GMC arrangements seem realistic to me and I think have a good balance and fair competition for those involved.

Just don't see the SWOC ever having that collection of teams. West Hi and Taft I guess were probably "filler" teams maybe but they have smaller athletic offerings than the other member schools. Sports like golf, tennis, swimming, wrestling just aren't there most years or maybe enough to just scratch out a varsity team but they will likely want schools who can field lower level programs and also compete at the middle school/junior high level. The current SWOC teams all play each other for 7th/8th sports too (Northwest competes at Pleasant Run).

I also wonder how committed some of the more rural schools in the SWOC (Edgewood, Ross, Talawanda) are to long term membership. Being in a conference that requires them to travel further into Cincinnati is probably not appealing to them.

If Lebanon and Springboro are able to be lured to the GMC I can see the GWOC picking up Middletown and maybe placing them in a division with West Carrollton, Stebbins, Fairborn etc.

Winton Woods I hope finds a home somewhere if a round of conference musical chairs pops up!
Old 01-12-18, 10:02 AM
Varsity

I could see Princeton and LM to the ECC. I just don't see why Sycamore needs out of the GMC. Sycamore has made the playoffs many times in the last ten year and why would they want to play a bunch of D2 schools.
Old 01-12-18, 10:47 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I could see Princeton and LM to the ECC. I just don't see why Sycamore needs out of the GMC. Sycamore has made the playoffs many times in the last ten year and why would they want to play a bunch of D2 schools.
size, and history with the schools involved.
Old 01-12-18, 10:48 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
The ECC and GMC arrangements seem realistic to me and I think have a good balance and fair competition for those involved.

Just don't see the SWOC ever having that collection of teams. West Hi and Taft I guess were probably "filler" teams maybe but they have smaller athletic offerings than the other member schools. Sports like golf, tennis, swimming, wrestling just aren't there most years or maybe enough to just scratch out a varsity team but they will likely want schools who can field lower level programs and also compete at the middle school/junior high level. The current SWOC teams all play each other for 7th/8th sports too (Northwest competes at Pleasant Run).

I also wonder how committed some of the more rural schools in the SWOC (Edgewood, Ross, Talawanda) are to long term membership. Being in a conference that requires them to travel further into Cincinnati is probably not appealing to them.

If Lebanon and Springboro are able to be lured to the GMC I can see the GWOC picking up Middletown and maybe placing them in a division with West Carrollton, Stebbins, Fairborn etc.

Winton Woods I hope finds a home somewhere if a round of conference musical chairs pops up!
They were fillers to make the SWOC 10.
Old 01-13-18, 10:52 AM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Uh the big if in all of this, is Monroe. In 5 years will be a large D2 team in a league made up of D3 and D4 teams. Amazon is bringing 1000 jobs to the district and families will surely follow.
Old 01-13-18, 03:27 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:

ECC
Anderson
Turpin
Milford
Loveland
Kings
Walnut
Withrow
Sycamore
Princeton
Little Miami

GMC
Colerain
Fairfield
Hamilton
Mason
Oak Hills
West
East
West Clermont
Springboro
Lebanon

SWOC
Ross
Edgewood
Talawanda
Harrison
Mount Healthy
Northwest
Winton Woods
Middletown
Western Hills
Taft
Uh Middletown in the SWOC is almost laughable. Western Hills in the SWOC is beyond laughable.
Old 01-16-18, 01:51 PM
All Ohio

bluengoldblinders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
Lakota has been shrinking for the past 3-4 years. A third HS probably isnít happening.
Noted...starting to show my age as I've moved out of the area for years now.