Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-08-17, 09:16 PM
All District

CHLdominance04
Send a message via AIM to CHLdominance04
Deer Park beats Reading by about 30. Definitely has an AAU feel to it. Getting in people's faces and clapping after every good play. They will run into a team that isnt intimidated and can break the press and they will lose. Hunt from Reading was still the best player on the floor.
Old 12-09-17, 05:13 AM
All American

Cantrell
Reading fought back after getting hit in the mouth. They were only down by 6 early in the 3rd qu. DP went on some 15-2 run and it was all over. I agree Reading's Hunt was still the best overall player on the floor.
Old 12-09-17, 07:50 AM
All District

Eagles123 is on a distinguished road
The mcentire kid must be s good player. I see his name mentioned often. Have not seen him play yet
Old 12-10-17, 11:50 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJaw View Post
IH in a close one 8
Wyoming by 20 24
Mariemont by 20 12
Deer Park AAU by 30+ 25
Pretty good.
Old 12-10-17, 12:13 PM
Junior Varsity

Red1234 is on a distinguished road
"Deer park aau" I pretty sure it's deer park high school
Old 12-10-17, 02:24 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1234 View Post
"Deer park aau" I pretty sure it's deer park high school
Use to be.
Old 12-11-17, 11:42 AM
All Ohio

93 red ls is on a distinguished road
So after one full week....... What is everyone's thoughts on DP??

Should be an interesting match up on Friday with Wyoming....

they sure can score
Old 12-11-17, 11:57 AM
Freshman

TheNatiFan is on a distinguished road
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Wyoming lose this one

Too many offensive threats from deer park and a fairly young Wyoming team.
Old 12-11-17, 11:59 AM
Junior Varsity

Red1234 is on a distinguished road
Any predictions?
Old 12-11-17, 12:11 PM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
To be honest I'd like to see DP play before they get busted.

I also think DP will beat Wyoming if they can pull away late. If it's close in the last couple minutes, Wyoming will get the W. Wyoming struggled for awhile with a bad Harrison team and only 3 players scored. DP currently has the athletes to shut down go-to guys so Wyoming will need more production from others.
Old 12-11-17, 01:05 PM
All District

MooseJaw is on a distinguished road
I think DPAAU beats Wyoming by about 10
Old 12-11-17, 04:20 PM
Freshman

Predictions for Tuesday?

Indian Hill at Reading

Indian hill by 10

Mariemont at Madeira

really close but Mariemont by 4

Deer Park at Taylor

Deer park by 20+

Finneytown at Wyoming

Wyoming by 15

Last edited by TheNatiFan; 12-11-17 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Spacing
Old 12-11-17, 07:35 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
To be honest I'd like to see DP play before they get busted.

I also think DP will beat Wyoming if they can pull away late. If it's close in the last couple minutes, Wyoming will get the W. Wyoming struggled for awhile with a bad Harrison team and only 3 players scored. DP currently has the athletes to shut down go-to guys so Wyoming will need more production from others.

I'm still curious/confused about whether the deer park situation is something that people think is a done deal in terms of coaches in the league filing complaints. If this is as obvious as everyone seems to think doesn't it put a different perspective on their league games? If people are going to complain are they waiting until later in the year to see if they lose? And if that's the case doesn't it reduce their argument to sour grapes? Just don't want to see something like what happened at Purcell where it had an impact on so many teams. Just hangs uncertainty over the league.
Old 12-11-17, 08:10 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles123 View Post
I'm still curious/confused about whether the deer park situation is something that people think is a done deal in terms of coaches in the league filing complaints. If this is as obvious as everyone seems to think doesn't it put a different perspective on their league games? If people are going to complain are they waiting until later in the year to see if they lose? And if that's the case doesn't it reduce their argument to sour grapes? Just don't want to see something like what happened at Purcell where it had an impact on so many teams. Just hangs uncertainty over the league.
Coaches would not be the ones "filing complaints" about DP. The OHSAA would be contacted by one or more AD about possible violations of the OHSAA code of rules, and then if credible, OHSAA would look into any rules violations. Would be something that could take awhile (look up Taylor soccer having to forfiet games prior to the tourney this year), so the games would be played and then decisions made down the road by OHSAA, unless DP self-reports because they would admit illegal players playing in games.

Time will tell
Old 12-11-17, 08:20 PM
All District

Just sucks for teams to play games in a certain context and them have them rescinded. Would like to see situations taken care of before games are played but I understand that not to be plausible.
Old 12-11-17, 09:57 PM
Freshman

Stangs343 is on a distinguished road
Why would their be any grounds for complaints? To take the court this year any of the players on the team would have to be cleared by OSHAA in the first place.
Old 12-11-17, 10:21 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs343 View Post
Why would their be any grounds for complaints? To take the court this year any of the players on the team would have to be cleared by OSHAA in the first place.
The school (DP) clears the athletes based on what is on file per age, grades, residence, parent/guardian relationship--those are listed on a roster that is filed with OHSAA. If any issues are brought to OHSAA's attention then it will be investigated--see Purcell-Marian from 2 years ago and playing an ineligible player in the tournament--the situation is always in flux.
Old 12-12-17, 07:26 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Good job Red, congrats, your All City (and Virginia) AAU team is beating up on low end D5 programs
I don't even have a tie to DP but DAMN your upset about something.....
Old 12-12-17, 07:30 AM
All Ohio

Everyone realizes that at one point with in the past few years DP was decent at BBALL....

in 08 finished 2nd in the league , 09 won the CHL...Harrison was one of the best players in the city that year

Then they went on a BAD stretch since then.

I'm a CHL guy and LOVE seeing a different team have a shot at different sports not always Wyoming and IH battling it out for darn near every sport
Old 12-12-17, 07:38 AM
Freshman

I still think that Dp could be shut down. Yes they might beat a few out of the top 4 in the CHL but they are definitely going to take an L or two.
Old 12-12-17, 09:25 AM
All District

MooseJaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 red ls View Post
Everyone realizes that at one point with in the past few years DP was decent at BBALL....

in 08 finished 2nd in the league , 09 won the CHL...Harrison was one of the best players in the city that year

I'm a CHL guy and LOVE seeing a different team have a shot at different sports not always Wyoming and IH battling it out for darn near every sport
Red - Yes, it is upsetting to many people to see this and you are the main one that seems to be bragging about it, assumed that you were a DP guy.

I have no problem with new teams challenging the CHL elite. Wyoming and IH have dominated the last few years and Madeira dominated before that. I would love to see Deer Park make a LEGITIMATE run in the CHL but in my opinion, what they are doing is wrong and against what the CHL stands for. The CHL is pretty much a small school, home grown type of league. Yes, there are occasional transfers into the districts and that's fine, but this is way beyond that. For the sake of argument, let's just say that all these kids are legitimately living in the district now with their legal guardians. Even if that is the case, there is no denying the fact that they all moved there strictly with the intent to play basketball for coach gentry and build a super team. You may disagree with me, but I just think that's wrong. If you're going to do that at least have the balls to go up to D1 or D2 and give it a shot, not vs a bunch of small communities with kids that have all been playing together since 3rd grade.

Legit question for everybody: By most accounts DP Elite AAU has somewhere between 8-11 new kids on their roster in the last two years. Curious to know what schools they transferred from. The only three that I know of are Gentry from Purcell, Wise from Aiken, and Mcentire from Oak Hill Academy Virginia. Anyone know where all the others have transferred from?
Old 12-12-17, 10:18 AM
All Region

Youknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Red - Yes, it is upsetting to many people to see this and you are the main one that seems to be bragging about it, assumed that you were a DP guy.

I have no problem with new teams challenging the CHL elite. Wyoming and IH have dominated the last few years and Madeira dominated before that. I would love to see Deer Park make a LEGITIMATE run in the CHL but in my opinion, what they are doing is wrong and against what the CHL stands for. The CHL is pretty much a small school, home grown type of league. Yes, there are occasional transfers into the districts and that's fine, but this is way beyond that. For the sake of argument, let's just say that all these kids are legitimately living in the district now with their legal guardians. Even if that is the case, there is no denying the fact that they all moved there strictly with the intent to play basketball for coach gentry and build a super team. You may disagree with me, but I just think that's wrong. If you're going to do that at least have the balls to go up to D1 or D2 and give it a shot, not vs a bunch of small communities with kids that have all been playing together since 3rd grade.

Legit question for everybody: By most accounts DP Elite AAU has somewhere between 8-11 new kids on their roster in the last two years. Curious to know what schools they transferred from. The only three that I know of are Gentry from Purcell, Wise from Aiken, and Mcentire from Oak Hill Academy Virginia. Anyone know where all the others have transferred from?
Gentry -Purcell
Dashaun Mcentire- Purcell
Damani Mcentire-Oak hills academy
Wise-Aiken
Athie- Winton Woods
Rose-Hughes
Thats their top 6 right there
Old 12-12-17, 10:26 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 red ls View Post

YEs Deer Park had a some good years in the last decade. Heres the difference. Those teams were compiled of Deer Park kids. Just like mariemont and wyoming and Madeira all compiled of kids that grew up and live in the community and whos parents will continue to live in the community when they are gone. This Deer Park team is whole different thing. There top 6 guys never came close to living in DP until Gentry started coaching there and probably wont live there after they graduate. There is no defending that. Those are absolute facts. If for some reason Gentry was fired or took a different job next year, 3/4 of this team would no longer be at Deer Park. As far as people waiting to report im sure there are many reasons. Some wait till the tourney some dont like at clark when Batavia reported the Mcelfresh kid after 2 games and he sat the whole season, that year also someone reported Bryce Butler at clark right before tourney and only he was suspended for the tourney game. The thing is also you never know how the OHSAA is going to rule. They can suspend the one kid or suspend the whole team like the did Purcell for playing a kid in the last minute and 30 seconds in a 40 point win.
Old 12-12-17, 11:18 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Reminds me of Reading's super team.
Old 12-12-17, 12:38 PM
All Region

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Why do you care? If those parents are doing what they think is best for their kids, who are you to try to stop them?
I'm guessing you're an IH fan and its just frustrating you that your kids are going to lose to the poor kids.
Old 12-12-17, 02:14 PM
All Ohio

chlnewbie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknow View Post
YEs Deer Park had a some good years in the last decade. Heres the difference. Those teams were compiled of Deer Park kids. Just like mariemont and wyoming and Madeira all compiled of kids that grew up and live in the community and whos parents will continue to live in the community when they are gone. This Deer Park team is whole different thing. There top 6 guys never came close to living in DP until Gentry started coaching there and probably wont live there after they graduate. There is no defending that. Those are absolute facts. If for some reason Gentry was fired or took a different job next year, 3/4 of this team would no longer be at Deer Park. As far as people waiting to report im sure there are many reasons. Some wait till the tourney some dont like at clark when Batavia reported the Mcelfresh kid after 2 games and he sat the whole season, that year also someone reported Bryce Butler at clark right before tourney and only he was suspended for the tourney game. The thing is also you never know how the OHSAA is going to rule. They can suspend the one kid or suspend the whole team like the did Purcell for playing a kid in the last minute and 30 seconds in a 40 point win.
Actually OHSAA is quite consistent when laying down the law. When you falsify documents (acadavits) in the cases at Clark the kid gets suspended. When you don't do your due diligence as a school and take a kid's word that he didn't play in any games at the previous School, the entire team pays the price.

Stark difference. That's why affidavits are in place, to protect the team from being suspended. We can debate whether it's fair or not, but ohsaa has been consistent in that matter.
Old 12-12-17, 02:48 PM
All American

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
The OHSAA doesn't have an enforcement branch. The mostly rely on self policing then they will look into it. My understanding is for the DP transfers (or any transfers) they would have had to follow OHSAA regulations/paperwork. If they forged or falsified documents the OHSAA would have to follow up, for them to follow up someone would have to make allegations to them. They receive calls and emails on a daily basis with accusations, for them to look into it there needs to be some clear evidence or a smoking gun.
Old 12-12-17, 06:14 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan76 View Post
Why do you care? If those parents are doing what they think is best for their kids, who are you to try to stop them?
I'm guessing you're an IH fan and its just frustrating you that your kids are going to lose to the poor kids.
Itís really not even about doing whatís best for their kids. Itís about winning games. Thatís why they are there. O and and letís not forget that there are actual rules
Old 12-12-17, 07:11 PM
All Region

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknow View Post
Itís really not even about doing whatís best for their kids. Itís about winning games. Thatís why they are there. O and and letís not forget that there are actual rules
But you said you had a problem with it even if they did follow the rules. And who cares if it is just about winning. Winning brings college recruiters. All it takes is one offer for a kid to change his family's fortunes forever.
Old 12-12-17, 07:39 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan76 View Post
But you said you had a problem with it even if they did follow the rules. And who cares if it is just about winning. Winning brings college recruiters. All it takes is one offer for a kid to change his family's fortunes forever.
Point well taken. I agree with offers changing lives. But I happen to think if you are good enough you will be noticed no matter where you are.