Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-17-16, 11:36 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
That catch was undoubtedly what everyone should take from the game. However, with a dinged up Webb, McCaster stole the show. The essential 3rd string RB played a great game and I love how he would get vertical.

The "Guins" have been a dog the past several weeks. Keep playing D and running the damn ball with timely passing and anything can happen.

Go Guins!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-16, 11:45 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
I'm curious, does anyone know why they're waiting until January 7 to play the Championship game? I realize that next Saturday is Christmas Eve and the following Saturday is New Year's Eve, but Geez!
Old 12-18-16, 07:20 AM
All Ohio

falguin is on a distinguished road
I think they wanted it to coincide with the FBS championship. This is good for us because it gives us time to heal. Interesting thing about FBS vs. FCS playoffs. YSU would not have been in the playoffs if they were like the FBS playoffs. It would have been NDSU, Jacksonville State, Eastern Washington, and James Madison. This is why FCS champion is so much better. It makes up for things like your starting QB getting injured and the backup getting injured and having to start guy who was going to transfer in a key game against NDSU with only one game under his belt. I have no doubt in my mind that we are better than NDSU. They just got us at a bad time. Once Wells settled down and got used to being the starter and not the practice squad QB, he started playing better and looks like I think we expected him to look after he started as a freshman. I knew we were deep at TB. McCaster is a beast and a valley guy, which makes it even better. I do hope those guys can playin the NC, but again, Pelini has done a good job of getting depth on this team. JMU though is going to be a huge test. That team is tough, and unfortunately, matches up well with us.
Old 12-18-16, 08:53 AM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
The best thing about JMU is their band:

Old 12-18-16, 09:28 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
The best thing about JMU is their band:

Very cool. I like a good band. From Back to the Future to Sinatra, wow. Thanks for the link.
Old 12-18-16, 09:45 AM
All Region

YTOWN
Quote:
Originally Posted by falguin View Post
I think they wanted it to coincide with the FBS championship. This is good for us because it gives us time to heal. Interesting thing about FBS vs. FCS playoffs. YSU would not have been in the playoffs if they were like the FBS playoffs. It would have been NDSU, Jacksonville State, Eastern Washington, and James Madison. This is why FCS champion is so much better. It makes up for things like your starting QB getting injured and the backup getting injured and having to start guy who was going to transfer in a key game against NDSU with only one game under his belt. I have no doubt in my mind that we are better than NDSU. They just got us at a bad time. Once Wells settled down and got used to being the starter and not the practice squad QB, he started playing better and looks like I think we expected him to look after he started as a freshman. I knew we were deep at TB. McCaster is a beast and a valley guy, which makes it even better. I do hope those guys can playin the NC, but again, Pelini has done a good job of getting depth on this team. JMU though is going to be a huge test. That team is tough, and unfortunately matches up well with us.
I have not seen JMU this year but I'm sure they do match up better than those Big Sky spread-it-out-throw-every-down type teams. YSU is undefeated against the Big Sky Conference in the playoffs IMO because they have always been more physical on the LOS. Those spread teams score a lot of points and run you around but they don't beat up a defense like a power running game does. YSU's best teams have always pounded teams with a great running game and then used timely play-action passing to compliment that running game. They are usually good defensively with very good special teams. The special teams have been up and down this year however.

As a matter of fact I will admit that after the D finally stopped EW to force that punt they muffed, even though it was early, I thought it might be over. EW was moving the ball so well at that point and that gift gave them a 14-point lead. The Guins kept pounding and finally started to bring some pressure against EW's offense. You have to give YSU credit no matter how it turned out. They went into a hostile environment against a very prolific offense without 5 starters and just kept playing. Obviously it was just enough. Survive and advance.

Even if that TD catch had been overturned they would have had one more play. Fortunately they didn't need it.

GO GUINS!!!!
Old 12-19-16, 12:56 AM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know the status of the 4? Gone for the next game also, or just 1 game. I'm not advocating bringing anyone back, but just curious
Old 12-19-16, 01:09 AM
All Region

Thomas Paine is an unknown quantity at this point
Were the 4 players contributors? The paper didn't mention any names besides the runningback who obviously was a contributor. I don't think he will be back if he actually gets a gun charge.. Does that bring jail time?
Old 12-19-16, 07:02 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
Were the 4 players contributors? The paper didn't mention any names besides the runningback who obviously was a contributor. I don't think he will be back if he actually gets a gun charge.. Does that bring jail time?
Two starting safeties with a combined 60 starts. Or something to that effect. EWU had early success throwing over the top on the newbies but they settled in and played more efficient as the game wore on.

Although it would be nice to have the two safeties back in my opinion they do not play even if the NCAA would allow for it. Just me.

As Bo Schembechler used to say..."the team, the team, the team."
Old 12-19-16, 08:22 AM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by falguin View Post
I think they wanted it to coincide with the FBS championship. This is good for us because it gives us time to heal. Interesting thing about FBS vs. FCS playoffs. YSU would not have been in the playoffs if they were like the FBS playoffs. It would have been NDSU, Jacksonville State, Eastern Washington, and James Madison. This is why FCS champion is so much better. It makes up for things like your starting QB getting injured and the backup getting injured and having to start guy who was going to transfer in a key game against NDSU with only one game under his belt. I have no doubt in my mind that we are better than NDSU. They just got us at a bad time. Once Wells settled down and got used to being the starter and not the practice squad QB, he started playing better and looks like I think we expected him to look after he started as a freshman. I knew we were deep at TB. McCaster is a beast and a valley guy, which makes it even better. I do hope those guys can playin the NC, but again, Pelini has done a good job of getting depth on this team. JMU though is going to be a huge test. That team is tough, and unfortunately, matches up well with us.
Old 12-19-16, 05:15 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 111411 View Post
I'm curious, does anyone know why they're waiting until January 7 to play the Championship game? I realize that next Saturday is Christmas Eve and the following Saturday is New Year's Eve, but Geez!
Probably a mix of the holidays and giving the teams a breather. YSU for example, has now played 15 games in 16 weeks, with the last 4 being playoffs.
Old 12-19-16, 05:16 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
Both starting safeties and the leading receiver
Old 12-19-16, 05:40 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
I watched some of the James Madison vs NDSU game and a couple take aways on James Madison:

- They have a big OL but it is not very athletic, in particular the RT had all kind of trouble with a speed rush from the DE.

- The QB is top notch and a player; RB is tough as both a runner and a receiver so the LBs need to be ready in coverage.

- No one stood out on defense but they locked down NDSU in the 1st half, struggled in the 2nd half after adjustments though.
Old 12-19-16, 07:46 PM
All Region

YTOWN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
I watched some of the James Madison vs NDSU game and a couple take aways on James Madison:

- They have a big OL but it is not very athletic, in particular the RT had all kind of trouble with a speed rush from the DE.

- The QB is top notch and a player; RB is tough as both a runner and a receiver so the LBs need to be ready in coverage.

- No one stood out on defense but they locked down NDSU in the 1st half, struggled in the 2nd half after adjustments though.
That should be good news for YSU as Mr. Rivers and Mr. Moss, the Guins' DEs, are both very adept speed rushers, although Mr. Moss is hobbled quite a bit right now. Hopefully both will be 100% by game day and able to exploit that.

GO GUINS!!!!
Old 12-20-16, 11:58 AM
All Region

YTOWN
I don't have any details but it looks like 7 James Madison players have been suspended. What the hell are all hese guys thinking?

http://www.dnronline.com/news/seven-...ba0f93db0.html
Old 12-20-16, 02:44 PM
All World

From what I've heard, the 7 players were suspended before the NDSU game actually. 2 starters and 5 non major contributors.
Old 12-20-16, 03:08 PM
All Region

YTOWN
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
From what I've heard, the 7 players were suspended before the NDSU game actually. 2 starters and 5 non major contributors.
The article in the link does name two players that did not play against NDSU but nothing about the other 5.
Old 12-20-16, 09:07 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Actions have consequences. Whatever happened to self-control and making good decisions? This country is going to pot!
Old 12-21-16, 11:53 AM
All Region

bop is on a distinguished road
Big ticket scandal going on at YSU. Apparently each school was given 4k tickets. YSU only kept 1k which were quickly bought up by the big wigs and loge owners and sent the rest back for fear they could not sell them and be stuck with the tab. The returned 3k tickets were offered to JMU who scooped them up and sold them. YSU season ticket holders and students are left to fend for themselves buying tickets from other sources that include additional fees. YSU fans are up in arms and really upset at the athletic department.
Old 12-21-16, 12:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bop View Post
Big ticket scandal going on at YSU. Apparently each school was given 4k tickets. YSU only kept 1k which were quickly bought up by the big wigs and loge owners and sent the rest back for fear they could not sell them and be stuck with the tab. The returned 3k tickets were offered to JMU who scooped them up and sold them. YSU season ticket holders and students are left to fend for themselves buying tickets from other sources that include additional fees. YSU fans are up in arms and really upset at the athletic department.
The thing is they needed to put the deposit for the tickets after the jax state game, the guess is they didn't think they would make it and didn't have 300 grand available to get the full 4,000. Honestly though, the tickets from YSU were costing 80 bucks, I bet without looking you can get tickets cheaper off secondary sources
Old 12-21-16, 10:11 PM
All Ohio

NCAA is one of the most corrupt organizations in the U.S. Making every team in the quarter finals buy the tickets.
Old 12-29-16, 02:17 PM
All World

What is the word from Youngstown? Any players returning from injury? Suspension?
Old 12-29-16, 10:37 PM
All Ohio

From what I heard, all the suspensions are in place. Unfortunately, some good players have seen their last days at YSU. I think they are pretty healthy. The original stating QB was on the sidelines for the EWSU game, but did not play. IN Hunter We Trust.
Old 01-03-17, 08:51 AM
All World

Good story on Jody Webb.

http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show...rrer_id=878183
Old 01-07-17, 12:07 AM
All Ohio

I really would have liked to play NDSU again. I thought we could beat them for sure now that Wells is playing well. He is going to be the key here. If he can come out and do what he has done, YSU wins this game. His passing will open up the running game and YSU will pound it out. I thought we could win every game, but this team really worries me.
Old 01-07-17, 08:49 AM
All Ohio

The red and white are waving! Let's go Guins! Gameday, shock the FCS world and show the FBS why this playoff system is better.

Y
Old 01-07-17, 12:53 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Ouch.
Old 01-07-17, 01:56 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
As I said elsewhere, YSU let the game get bigger than them early on. They've regained some composure, but have a big hole to dig out from. 21-0 will be no easy feat, but they scored, and got the ball to start the second half.
Old 01-07-17, 02:31 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
A couple turnovers in the 3rd quarter. Still down 28-7. Need to score before the 4th to have much of a chance
Old 01-07-17, 03:19 PM
All World

Lots of adversity and still a nice season. Nothing to be ashamed of, great effort.