Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-11-16, 09:46 AM
All Ohio

white_chocolate is on a distinguished road
Mason vs. Moeller Thursday 1/14 @Moeller

This could be an interesting dual this Thursday. Moeller has to be the slight favorite on paper. Moeller will be strongly favored in about 6 weights, Mason will be favored in about 5 weights. Then there will be a few key swing matches. Bonus points will be huge in this one.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-16, 10:57 AM
All Ohio

LHS WRESTLING is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_chocolate View Post
This could be an interesting dual this Thursday. Moeller has to be the slight favorite on paper. Moeller will be strongly favored in about 6 weights, Mason will be favored in about 5 weights. Then there will be a few key swing matches. Bonus points will be huge in this one.
What time is the varsity dual scheduled to start?
Old 01-11-16, 11:01 AM
Cooling Off

standup1 is an unknown quantity at this point
7pm
Old 01-11-16, 11:41 AM
Junior Varsity

Moe01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_chocolate View Post

I think Mason will have to shuffle their line-up a bit and pull off a couple of upsets to win. But non the less this will be an interesting and fun dual to watch.

Couple of matches of interest

138 - Schuster vs Thompson
170- D'Augustino(sp?) vs Bryant
Hwt- Mullins vs Hensley

Thats if Mason doesn't shuffle these wrestlers around which they might.
Old 01-12-16, 12:56 AM
Varsity

Why bother is on a distinguished road
After watching what Moeller did to Elder, I don't see this being much of a dual. Mason has wrestled out of town to avoid local competition but the reality is they graduated most of their lineup from last year. Moeller is loaded with talent. I see it being a blow out.
Old 01-12-16, 06:51 AM
Varsity

DudeEtude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why bother View Post
After watching what Moeller did to Elder, I don't see this being much of a dual. Mason has wrestled out of town to avoid local competition but the reality is they graduated most of their lineup from last year. Moeller is loaded with talent. I see it being a blow out.
This dual will be closer than you think. Mason wrestling out of town is not about avoiding local competition. The Dvorak is a good tournament with some outstanding wrestlers. Mason did the same thing last year when they had a strong enough team to win the SWOWCA. How can you say they are avoiding local competition when they are coming to Moeller on Thursday night?

Moeller is wrestling really well right now with a sixth place finish at the Powerade, followed by a win agaisnt Elder at the Pit, and a strong showing in a loss against Olentangy Liberty over the weekend. They need a couple more pieces to avoid giving up forfeits each dual but they are close. Moeller should win on the strength of their top guys. I see this dual 8-6 Moe.

Great to see these two teams in a dual again.
Old 01-12-16, 10:17 AM
Junior Varsity

Moe01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not even close to a blow out. Moe will giving up some forfeits and your under estimating Mason. Who beat Delta in a dual earlier this year.
Old 01-12-16, 10:42 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Not going to comment on the potential outcome and dual meet score as both teams are very good with great coaches and strong tradition.

Your comment, "Mason has wrestled out of town to avoid local competition" is about the STUPIDEST thing I have read on this forum in quite sometime. By your logic any team that travels is avoiding local competition. They avoid local competition how so? Because they didn't wrestle in the SWOWCA (as most Southwest Ohio teams do), and would see those SAME teams and indivuduals at GMC, Sectionals, Districts??? I guess duals against Delta, and TOUGH tournaments at IronMan, Dvorak (Illinois) and Olentangy Liberty are useless since they are not "local" then, right? Not to mention the "James Horning Memorial" tournament they have run for years now is not considered local? What about duals against Moe and St. X? Not local enough either huh?

I applaud them for doing what is best for THEIR team instead of doing the local tour year in and year out. It is a sign of a program that is growing...much like other teams that travel like Elder, LaSalle, Oak Hills and others. Avoid local competition??...that is laughable! Gimme' a break and get a clue!

Last edited by LHS WRESTLING; 01-12-16 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-12-16, 10:53 AM
All Region

lockitup is on a distinguished road
Moeller has been wrestling the southwest district area teams for several years.
I congratulate Moe. Moe takes their team to the bigger better tournaments, but Still wrestles the local programs. This benefits these school's wrestling programs. A dual with a top program is a highlight for the year. A reason to work harder. A chance to knock off the best. Moeller knows if the area gets better they will get better. Mason is not avoiding the southwest district, just not wrestling them.
Old 01-12-16, 11:09 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockitup View Post
Moeller has been wrestling the southwest district area teams for several years.
I congratulate Moe. Moe takes their team to the bigger better tournaments, but Still wrestles the local programs. This benefits these school's wrestling programs. A dual with a top program is a highlight for the year. A reason to work harder. A chance to knock off the best. Moeller knows if the area gets better they will get better. Mason is not avoiding the southwest district, just not wrestling them.
Great point, Moeller has traditionally wrestled local schools to enhance and improve the local teams and competition.

Both Moe and Mason wrestle 2 local teams in duals this season.
(Moe scheduled Elder and Mason, and also wrestled Oak Hills at Moe Duals Tournament)
(Mason wrestles Moe and St. X).

Obviously Mason isn't doing anything different then anyone else out there who is considered a "top" local team.

Last edited by LHS WRESTLING; 01-12-16 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-12-16, 11:37 AM
All Region

lockitup is on a distinguished road
This dual is great for the area. Glad to see it. Moe vs Elder tradition. West vs East. Elder vs Oak Hills. Loveland vs Glen Este. Fairfield vs Lakota of the 70s,80s 90s. I love the duals. Great for our sport! Tournaments for the weekend's.

Mason vs Moe be nice to see for many years to come.
Old 01-12-16, 12:18 PM
Freshman

No Huddle is on a distinguished road
Jan. 9th Lineups:
Mason @ Army National Guard Duals (WV)
Moeller dual with Olentangy Liberty

Mason / Moeller
106 Sam Glassco / FF
113 Jaimen Hood / Jordan Ward
120 Colin Schuster / Mitch Moore
126 Zachary Donathan / FF
132 Christopher Donathan / Cooper Graves
138 Cameron Schweitzer / Jake Thompson
145 Jack Stein / Tiese Gideon
152 Marquis Thomas / Jacoby Ward
160 Nick D'Agostino / Drew Hobbs
170 Eric Vermillion / Brett Bryant
182 Andrew Hauer / Trevor Hankins
195 Seph Wiegand / Sam Wyche
220 Zaid Hamdan / Jack Meyer
285 Douglas Mullen / Joseph Hensley

Last edited by No Huddle; 01-12-16 at 01:34 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 01-12-16, 01:02 PM
All Ohio

Unstacked is on a distinguished road
Should be a great dual, but using the lineup posted above, I see it around Moe 34 and Mason 26. There should be some good individual matches. I think Mason wins the majority of lightweight match ups and Moe winning The majority from 138 and up. Moe is just too strong in the upper weights! I hope both teams can come out of it healthy.

Last edited by Unstacked; 01-13-16 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-12-16, 01:08 PM
All District

wrestlingnut is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstacked View Post
Should be a great dual, but using the lineup posted above, I see it around Moe 38 and Mason 22. There should be some good individual matches. I think Mason wins the majority of lightweight match ups and Moe winning The majority from 138 and up. Moe is just too strong in the upper weights! I hope both teams can come out of it healthy.
I was just going over this in my head too, I had it 34-25 Moe (7 to 6), with Hankins being a swing match. Just don't know enough about the upper weights for Mason, and Moe's uppers are pretty legit. Agree, Mason's lowers win, and Moe's uppers win. Will come down to bonus points, can the uppers of Moe get more bonus than the lowers of Mason?

Interesting match- 160. Interesting to see D'Agostino drop, this will be a good (and maybe deciding) match.
Old 01-12-16, 01:19 PM
All Region

CincyWrestler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS WRESTLING View Post
Your comment, "Mason has wrestled out of town to avoid local competition" is about the STUPIDEST thing I have read on this forum in quite sometime.
This
Old 01-12-16, 07:26 PM
Varsity

Why bother is on a distinguished road
Mason is not as good as everyone thinks. To much graduated from last year.
Old 01-12-16, 08:19 PM
Varsity

DudeEtude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Too
Old 01-13-16, 03:05 AM
All American

kbiz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
many
Old 01-13-16, 07:22 AM
All American

Coach Root is on a distinguished road
As mentioned above Mason graduated 8-9 starters from last years team. Moeller is the clear favorite. Their upper weights are a landmine and they have some great lower weights. That doesn't mean we plan to lay down, but this is a very solid Moeller team. We are just glad that we can finally dual them again.

Coach Root
Old 01-13-16, 08:38 AM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Is Dylan Waugh still wrestling?
Old 01-13-16, 08:43 AM
All American

nati513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You seem like a person who is knowledgeable about the sport of wrestling particularly SW(cincy). So these two posts you made in this thread baffles me a little. Mason did graduate a lot of seniors, however if you look at the year they are having at the moment they have filled those spots quite well. And it wasn't like their cupboard was empty.

Moe ,as of right now, has two forfeits in their line-up so mason needs to find five matches where they can get the W.(assuming they get more bonus points) Even if Moe doesn't ff 126 Mason should get the pin.

I can see them finding those matches at 120, 132, 145, 160, and 182 (going by the two line-ups from above.) i see 160 and 182 as toss ups, But 120, 132, and 145 Mason is favored. So Mason walking out of Moeller with a victory Thursday night would not be a shocker to me.
Old 01-13-16, 10:52 AM
All Ohio

Unstacked is on a distinguished road
I heard that Moe might be without a couple other starters who are dealing with injuries/illnesses right now so that could make the match much more interesting.
Old 01-13-16, 12:34 PM
All American

Coach McCoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstacked View Post
I heard that Moe might be without a couple other starters who are dealing with injuries/illnesses right now so that could make the match much more interesting.
This time of year everyone is dealing with these kinds of issues (injuries and illness) it is the team that can weather the storm that will come out on top. I do believe Mason is going to give Moe a run for their money and this dual will be a good one just like the Elder/Moe match was. I love these kinds of duals and wish we had more of them. The sport has gotten away from dualing because the want to be sure they are keeping up with the Jones's so to speak. These kind of duals bring new fans in tourneys do not.

I wish I could make the dual but unfortunately my passport to the east side has not been renewed at this time. HA HA Good luck to both teams and I know the Head Coaches will have their respective teams ready.

Coach McCoy
Old 01-13-16, 12:50 PM
All American

Big D 185 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McCoy View Post
This time of year everyone is dealing with these kinds of issues (injuries and illness) it is the team that can weather the storm that will come out on top. I do believe Mason is going to give Moe a run for their money and this dual will be a good one just like the Elder/Moe match was. I love these kinds of duals and wish we had more of them. The sport has gotten away from dualing because the want to be sure they are keeping up with the Jones's so to speak. These kind of duals bring new fans in tourneys do not.

I wish I could make the dual but unfortunately my passport to the east side has not been renewed at this time. HA HA Good luck to both teams and I know the Head Coaches will have their respective teams ready.

Coach McCoy
Coach,
You can sit with me and RevKing!
C'mon over, I'll stamp your passport Reading style.

D
Old 01-13-16, 02:19 PM
All Ohio

revking is on a distinguished road
I have a shipment coming in on Thursday from PHC....we'll get you on the east side.....passport or not
Old 01-14-16, 07:48 AM
All American

Coach McCoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D 185 View Post
Coach,
You can sit with me and RevKing!
C'mon over, I'll stamp your passport Reading style.

D
Big D, thanks for the offer but unfortunately I will be unable to attend. But, I will attempt to sneak over there Friday and Saturday via, Cross county Highway to officiate the Reading Inv (your old stomping grounds my man). Love that little gym, wrestled a few times in that baby, back in the day.

Coach McCoy
Old 01-14-16, 11:03 AM
All American

Big D 185 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McCoy View Post
Big D, thanks for the offer but unfortunately I will be unable to attend. But, I will attempt to sneak over there Friday and Saturday via, Cross county Highway to officiate the Reading Inv (your old stomping grounds my man). Love that little gym, wrestled a few times in that baby, back in the day.

Coach McCoy
Hey Coach,
Tell my boys in Reading you're with me and you'll get a free pitcher of Hudy D at Auggies. Charlie Moore, who the tourney is named in honor of used to announce all the wrestling events at Reading back in my day. Just thinking about it brings back visions of a young Mike Rich with his cowboy boots and mullet, Kermit Zimmerman and his sweater vest, Otto Liskie (SP? wrestled at UC, coached at Turpin) and his BA-ness, the square mat, and of course Denny Sulfsted and Dick Engel.

Also, it changed to Reagan Highway about 20 years ago. My kids still ask where Cross County is when I give them directions.

Hopefully I'll see you Sunday at the CIT!!
D
Old 01-14-16, 12:22 PM
Junior Varsity

4thperiod is on a distinguished road
Here's is a neat video for tonight.

Old 01-14-16, 05:23 PM
All Ohio

ZfishInMason is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thperiod View Post
Here's is a neat video for tonight.

Cool video!

I love it when Mason and Moeller match up in programs where both schools are strong (ie, wrestling, baseball, swimming, soccer). Should be a good dual matchup.

Best of luck to both teams/programs tonight and the rest of the season.
Old 01-14-16, 06:35 PM
Varsity

mtndew is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZfishInMason View Post
Cool video!

I love it when Mason and Moeller match up in programs where both schools are strong (ie, wrestling, baseball, swimming, soccer). Should be a good dual matchup.

Best of luck to both teams/programs tonight and the rest of the season.

Yes should be a good one tonight. Think moeller might be giving up a couple weight classes that they normally wouldn't, but we will see.