Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-22-19, 03:11 PM
All World

User13 is on a distinguished road
Beavercreek coaching change

Beavercreek will be getting a new boys varsity head coach next season. The job is posted on the OHSAA web site. Mark Hess's tenure at Creek ended with a 5 year record of 37-79 (32%), including 1-5 in state tournament games.

2014-2015: 6-17
2015-2016: 4-19
2016-2017: 9-14
2017-2018: 10-14
2018-2019: 8-15

In spite of the losing record, I think Coach Hess did a good job. He cared about his players, and had solid game strategies.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-19, 03:17 PM
All World

Here is a video clip of an interview with Coach Hess, after Creek beat Franklin in the tournament last season:

https://www.whio.com/news/beavercree...22gsN1LWOCLoN/
Old 03-22-19, 07:36 PM
All District

Justice is on a distinguished road
Not all about W's & L's

Wishing Mark the best and hope he continues to positively impact students.
Old 03-22-19, 10:24 PM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
Wishing Mark the best and hope he continues to positively impact students.
So sad Beavercreek has had so many coaching changes since Larry Holden got let go, that use to be THE hardest place to win at in the Dayton area as Beavercreek was a top 3 program in the area and definitely one of the best suburban programs along with Trotwood and Butler. Beavercreek was one time number one in Ohio D1, they were Centerville before Centerville. Will they ever get back to where they were? So sad. Where is Larry Holden?
Old 03-22-19, 10:40 PM
All Ohio

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
So sad Beavercreek has had so many coaching changes since Larry Holden got let go, that use to be THE hardest place to win at in the Dayton area as Beavercreek was a top 3 program in the area and definitely one of the best suburban programs along with Trotwood and Butler. Beavercreek was one time number one in Ohio D1, they were Centerville before Centerville. Will they ever get back to where they were? So sad. Where is Larry Holden?
The Dayton area was so much more competitive than it is now. Beavercreek, Springfield, Trotwood-Madison, Centerville, Northmont etc. This year’s centerville team would have been in the middle of the pack. Who says the coach is not important?
Old 03-23-19, 06:03 AM
All Yappi

catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
The Dayton area was so much more competitive than it is now. Beavercreek, Springfield, Trotwood-Madison, Centerville, Northmont etc. This year’s centerville team would have been in the middle of the pack. Who says the coach is not important?
I agree. But also the culture I dont think the coach was the problem with Creek they just weren’t very good basketball players. They played hard just other teams were a lot better
Old 03-23-19, 09:17 AM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
Where is Larry Holden?

He is in a closet with a librarian.
Old 03-23-19, 09:22 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscatscats View Post
I agree. But also the culture I dont think the coach was the problem with Creek they just weren’t very good basketball players. They played hard just other teams were a lot better
Agreed. One year they had the soccer player that ran the point. He was tough, skilled and smart.
Old 03-23-19, 10:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Agreed. One year they had the soccer player that ran the point. He was tough, skilled and smart.
Jamie Holdin? He was tough back to back league player of the year
Old 03-23-19, 11:38 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Jamie Holdin? He was tough back to back league player of the year
Yes, that was him. I always thought that was how Holden’s teams were
Old 03-24-19, 07:10 AM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Fairly tough schedule (both league and non-league), and by and large they haven't had the talent to compete with the big boys these last few years. I thought he did a solid job and managed to compete with what they had.

The bottom line to me is that you are rarely beating the GWOC and regional powers or getting past the second round in the tournament when you only have one scholarship player (D2 West Liberty) in five years, and to my knowledge haven't really had any D3 college guys, or at least not any that have had any real success to this point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-19, 01:04 PM
Varsity

THEcoach22 is on a distinguished road
John Ahrns making a comebacK???????
Old 03-25-19, 02:41 PM
Freshman

ahrnsjj is on a distinguished road
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEcoach22 View Post
John Ahrns making a comebacK???????
No. Never.
Old 03-25-19, 04:04 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
Fairly tough schedule (both league and non-league), and by and large they haven't had the talent to compete with the big boys these last few years. I thought he did a solid job and managed to compete with what they had.

The bottom line to me is that you are rarely beating the GWOC and regional powers or getting past the second round in the tournament when you only have one scholarship player (D2 West Liberty) in five years, and to my knowledge haven't really had any D3 college guys, or at least not any that have had any real success to this point.

Who are you talking to? The top gwoc teams from that time were excellent. The gmc and gcl were the excellent too. The sw region was loaded. By the time Trice brought Wayne through that was not so much the case. Of course a pretty good Lakota East beat an undefeated team in the tourney. I am not from Beavercreek.
Old 03-25-19, 04:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Who are you talking to? The top gwoc teams from that time were excellent. The gmc and gcl were the excellent too. The sw region was loaded. By the time Trice brought Wayne through that was not so much the case. Of course a pretty good Lakota East beat an undefeated team in the tourney. I am not from Beavercreek.
I was commenting on the coach Beavercreek had the last five years, Mark Hess. They haven't had much talent outside of the Alessandro kid that signed with West Liberty last year. I think they've had a kid that went D1 in baseball and maybe one D1 in soccer, and those were a few years ago. They just haven't had the size or athleticism consistently (or at all) pretty much the entire time he's been there.

This job is probably much more attractive on the surface than when he got it as I hear a few of their freshmen were pretty good. They had a 6'7 kid from that group that played varsity. Combine that with having the Herbort kid back as a third year starter/extensive varsity player and the immediate outlook for the next 2-3 years is probably better than most of the last five years.

Old 03-25-19, 04:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Sometimes its culture though and having kids buy in to what your saying. Creek isnt much different then Centerville only difference is the Elks kids would run through a wall for Cupps or even when they had Staley. Beavercreek this past season just didnt seem to play hard or even look like they cared
Old 03-25-19, 06:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Sometimes its culture though and having kids buy in to what your saying. Creek isnt much different then Centerville only difference is the Elks kids would run through a wall for Cupps or even when they had Staley. Beavercreek this past season just didnt seem to play hard or even look like they cared
I didn't see them this year, but the last few years I didn't think effort was a problem when I saw them. To me, eventually it's hard to consistently get buy in when you don't win year after year. Even moreso at a place like Beavercreek or Centerville where they're consistently good to very good in a lot of the other sports. That wears thin on parents, community and whoever else kids get feedback from outside of the coaching staff.

Old 03-25-19, 07:32 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I didn't see them this year, but the last few years I didn't think effort was a problem when I saw them. To me, eventually it's hard to consistently get buy in when you don't win year after year. Even moreso at a place like Beavercreek or Centerville where they're consistently good to very good in a lot of the other sports. That wears thin on parents, community and whoever else kids get feedback from outside of the coaching staff.

Your right. The right coach can change a lot of that. Take Zink for example he doesn’t always have the most talented or biggest teams but they are always well
Prepared and going to leave everything they have on floor.
Old 03-26-19, 08:01 PM
Varsity

KniteFlyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by User13 View Post
Here is a video clip of an interview with Coach Hess, after Creek beat Franklin in the tournament last season:

https://www.whio.com/news/beavercree...22gsN1LWOCLoN/

Thanks for the link. The clown doing the interview is just about the most annoying twerp to ever hold a microphone. Ask a question and the ! Let the coach/whomever answer, WITHOUT your constant little quips. Uh-huh!

Good luck to Coach Hess in your next venture. Solid citizen from a solid North Central Ohio family.
Old 03-28-19, 07:31 AM
Freshman

BCreeker is on a distinguished road
Creek Coaching Change

I think this was a good move and long overdue. Hess is a nice guy but he and his program struggle with talent evaluation and development of younger players. He was not the program builder everyone hoped he would be. Beavercreek needs someone who can inspire and build a program from top to bottom, from 1st grade to seniors.
Old 03-29-19, 10:23 AM
All District

unc4life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreeker View Post
I think this was a good move and long overdue. Hess is a nice guy but he and his program struggle with talent evaluation and development of younger players. He was not the program builder everyone hoped he would be. Beavercreek needs someone who can inspire and build a program from top to bottom, from 1st grade to seniors.
You have to have talent to develop it. Changing coaches wont solve that problem. If Beavercreek is expecting someone else to come and and start winning they are in for a surprise. Hard to keep parents expectations in check when they think they have kids with talent when they really don't.
Old 03-29-19, 11:38 AM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
Marc Pendelton is not a clown. Has been a writer for 30 years with DDN. Does need work on interviews. Excellent reporter and the only fulltime HS writer.
Old 03-30-19, 02:43 PM
All Region

Looseball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyboy73 View Post
Marc Pendelton is not a clown. Has been a writer for 30 years with DDN. Does need work on interviews. Excellent reporter and the only fulltime HS writer.

Not very good on facts. Has been known to have kids and teams misidentified by Division. Also, does a terrible job getting local players all state recognition.
Old 04-03-19, 01:54 PM
Freshman

melvin dale is on a distinguished road
Beavercreek Administration Listen

[RIGHT]We have been in a basketball waste-land for 11 years (really 19 years)
we have had 8 losing seasons in the last 11 years our record isa 95 and 153 to be exact. Don't you think we should win more than 38% of our games we are a REALLY BIG school. The problem is our coaching decisions for that 11 years.
I am a basketball parent who is suffering as is the entire basketball program for a leader.
Please listen:
Hire an experienced coach no one to grow into the job.
Hire a proven winner.
Hire a bench coach who makes a difference in the games.
Hire a coach who can evaluate our players, improve them and then put them in the right offense and defense.
Failure to do this again constitutes incompetency on your part.
Also hire him quickly day light is burning on our kids.
RIGHT]
Old 04-03-19, 02:17 PM
All American

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin dale View Post
we have had 8 losing seasons in the last 11 years our record isa 95 and 153 to be exact. Don't you think we should win more than 38% of our games we are a REALLY BIG school. The problem is our coaching decisions for that 11 years.
I am a basketball parent who is suffering as is the entire basketball program for a leader.
Please listen:
Hire a proven winner.
Hire a coach who can evaluate our players, improve them and then put them in the right offense and defense.
RIGHT]
If you have all the answers, You do it.
Old 04-03-19, 03:42 PM
All Yappi

Most of the games that Beavercreek plays are against other "really big" schools that usually have more physical talent than them.

I think it would be a hard sell to get a proven winner. With the nature of teacher pay/tenure, realistically you're getting an applicant pool of mostly younger guys with thin head coaching resumes. You may get a few old hats as well that are retired. To get that guy that has a 10-15 year track record, it pretty much has to be someone from a smaller lower paying school that won't lose their rear end financially sacrificing 5+ years of service credit to change jobs.

Old 04-03-19, 03:57 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Most of the games that Beavercreek plays are against other "really big" schools that usually have more physical talent than them.

I think it would be a hard sell to get a proven winner. With the nature of teacher pay/tenure, realistically you're getting an applicant pool of mostly younger guys with thin head coaching resumes. You may get a few old hats as well that are retired. To get that guy that has a 10-15 year track record, it pretty much has to be someone from a smaller lower paying school that won't lose their rear end financially sacrificing 5+ years of service credit to change jobs.

Nailed it nwwarrior--I had been a HC for 6 years and had 16 years in at the school I was at, but was offered a D-1 HC job in the GMC--had 4 kids and it would've been a $8000 dollar overall pay cut as new school would only put me on step 10 (standard spot on the salary schedule back in those days) compared to step 16 at my school---I could not justify doing that to our family just to be a HC at a big school that faced similar winning issues as Beavercreek does.

Beavercreek needs to interview the best young candidates, who have less than 10 years of STRS invested, and make a commitment to that person. Coaching is coaching and good ones can make the jump from JV to Varsity especially if they have a strong staff around them. Hopefully Bcreek gets some great candidates!!

Last edited by CometCountry; 04-04-19 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-03-19, 04:38 PM
Varsity

bobcat44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
Nailed it nwwarrior--I had been a HC for 6 years and had 16 years in at the school I was at, but was offered a D-1 HC job in the GMC--had 4 kids and it would've been a $4000 dollar overall pay cut as new school would only put me on step 10 (standard spot on the salary schedule back in those days) compared to step 16 at my school---I could not justify doing that to our family just to be a HC at a big school that faced similar winning issues as Beavercreek does.

Beavercreek needs to interview the best young candidates, who have less than 10 years of STRS invested, and make a commitment to that person. Coaching is coaching and good ones can make the jump from JV to Varsity especially if they have a strong staff around them. Hopefully Bcreek gets some great candidates!!
Agreed...Beavercreek will have a tough time finding an experienced head coach not to mention one willing to play the schedule they have. No easy outs
Old 04-03-19, 09:06 PM
All American

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin dale View Post
Please listen:
Hire a proven winner.
RIGHT]

(1)PASS a LEVY and you might have a chance. Beavercreek cannot hire a teacher/coach. They will have to hire from within or hire a non-teacher. They just failed the 2nd consecutive levy and RIFTED 29 teachers. This is same community that RIFTED and failed levies from 2010-2012.

(2) Update facilities. Worst facilities in the state of Ohio for a D1 school.

(3) I do agree that you have to hire a person that will transform the program and culture from K-12 grade. Basketball culture at large suburban schools must be 10+ year process for athletes and students. The students need to buy in from 1st to 2nd grade in order to get the long term gains.
Old 04-03-19, 09:46 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
(2) Update facilities. Worst facilities in the state of Ohio for a D1 school.
Creek definitely needs better basketball facilities. But, just in the immediate area, I would rank Fairborn and possibly Carroll as lower. The GWOC has many great gyms.

On the plus side, I think Beavercreek student-athletes are typically better behaved than average, which makes a coach's job easier. The Creek AD is an excellent boss, also.