Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-31-18, 08:44 AM
All American

sportsbreeze
Head Coaching job open

What head baseball jobs are open and who are the front runners for them?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-18, 05:15 PM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Lakota West is looking
Old 05-31-18, 08:35 PM
Freshman

Zepman44 is on a distinguished road
Chuck Harlow from Northmont just retired after 34 seasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-18, 06:06 AM
All District

ball 4 is on a distinguished road
Twinsburg, Don Jones after 31 seasons
Old 06-04-18, 04:10 PM
All Ohio

DaPope is on a distinguished road
Ken Reed has resigned at Loveland
Old 06-04-18, 06:06 PM
All Region

I think Ken Reed teaches at Fairfield. Could he be interested in LW's job?
Old 06-04-18, 07:53 PM
All Region

KINGOFTHEJUNGLE is on a distinguished road
Minerva
Old 06-04-18, 09:40 PM
All Ohio

DaPope is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
I think Ken Reed teaches at Fairfield. Could he be interested in LW's job?
No teaches at Loveland, I believe he resigned to spend more time with family. I doubt he will be interested in any job.
Old 06-05-18, 04:12 PM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Kyle Walters resigned at Newark
Old 06-05-18, 06:17 PM
All District

tucson is on a distinguished road
These are all posted on the OHSAA jobs board:

Archbishop Hoban
Brookville
Crestline
Colonel Crawford
Hilliard Darby
La Salle
Marion Harding
Marysville
North Canton Hoover
Olentangy Orange
Ross
Valley View
Old 06-05-18, 06:42 PM
All Region

Lasalle's job is filled by the former LW coach
Old 06-06-18, 11:40 PM
Freshman

Zepman44 is on a distinguished road
Valley View coach is taking Ross job I believe.

Old 06-07-18, 12:36 PM
Junior Varsity

SinPista is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPope View Post
Ken Reed has resigned at Loveland
That is mind boggling. He lost 3 of the best players in the City (Waddell, Conley and Ayers) and still won the ECC. The guy knows baseball. Who are they going to replace him with? Just bring up the JV coach? Maybe most importantly, is the Pitching coach leaving as well?
Old 06-07-18, 06:17 PM
All Region

Two very well respected high school coaches who have established programs and in one case has aligned every little league program (both rec and travel) in his community to align with his program, have resigned this year. In both cases, they site wanting to spend more time with their family. I ask this august forum: "Is being a High School Baseball Coach that time consuming?" Heck, most of them are not even involved with summer programs, so they have the whole summer off. Am I missing something? Is the pay really bad?
Old 06-08-18, 11:08 AM
All District

stormballer
Quote:
Two very well respected high school coaches who have established programs and in one case has aligned every little league program (both rec and travel) in his community to align with his program, have resigned this year. In both cases, they site wanting to spend more time with their family. I ask this august forum: "Is being a High School Baseball Coach that time consuming?" Heck, most of them are not even involved with summer programs, so they have the whole summer off. Am I missing something? Is the pay really bad?
Most high school programs are starting in September/October and go until May and thats 4-6 days a week. Lifting/Conditioning, 4 on 1s, open cages, open mounds etc. It's not a February-May job like most think.
Old 06-08-18, 12:26 PM
Freshman

QueenCityBaseball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you added up all the hours worked and the amount of money they get paid to do it, high school baseball coaches are darn near working for free. At bigger programs that's crazy considering they start in September and are going through the end of May.
Old 06-08-18, 03:32 PM
All District

MERKLE is on a distinguished road
Not to mention scheduling. Most good programs get there schedule done early, so they start that in July.
Old 06-08-18, 08:37 PM
All Region

Thanks for the reply. It gives me food for thought.
Old 06-09-18, 08:12 AM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Rocky Bourquin has resigned after 4 seasons at Minerva.
Old 06-09-18, 02:53 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butler View Post
Rocky Bourquin has resigned after 4 seasons at Minerva.
Thank God
Old 06-11-18, 02:19 PM
All District

satoshi node is on a distinguished road
Very curios but Why thank god? Minerva just had the best 4 year run of its life in baseball. They were always at the bottom of the league before him? Was he too tough on your son? Was he a bad coach? What I saw from Minerva was night and day different prior to Bourquin coming there. They were a complete joke of a program.
Old 06-11-18, 03:24 PM
All Region

You obviously are either a family member or know nothing about our program. "Too tough on my kid" is the typical non imformed comment to make.
Old 06-11-18, 04:06 PM
All District

MINFAN is on a distinguished road
Head Coaching job open

Quote:
Originally Posted by satoshi node View Post
Very curios but Why thank god? Minerva just had the best 4 year run of its life in baseball. They were always at the bottom of the league before him? Was he too tough on your son? Was he a bad coach? What I saw from Minerva was night and day different prior to Bourquin coming there. They were a complete joke of a program.

Bourquin did ok the 1st 3 years- but having one of the nicest fields in the area and only getting in 19 regular season games in 2018 shows no commitment to the program- thatís 8 games taken away from the kids. They had enough talent to build on 2017 16 wins, 6 returning seniors- all starters- only lost 1 starter maybe not win the league but still have a lot of wins, maybe 18 to 20 wins- the problem is they didnít play that many games- just seemed like a total lack of commitment by simply not playing games- the JV team played 13 games. Yes the weather was bad, but Minerva had the least amount of games on the NBC with several teams playing 27 regular season games- thatís like a football team playing 7 games.. in my opinion the AD and/or the manager took 8 games, 32 at bats and and 56 innings from the kids.. so if Minerva folks are frustrated - thatís why- a total lack of commitment to the program- I donít care how good or bad a team is - if a kid works his butt off to play a complete high school season then the AD and manager need to make it happen- simply leaving 8 games ďunplayedĒ is unacceptable - especially with a turf field/ funny how Alliance, Louisville and West Branch got 27 regular season games in

Old 06-11-18, 10:45 PM
Freshman

Truck Yeah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGOFTHEJUNGLE View Post
You obviously are either a family member or know nothing about our program. "Too tough on my kid" is the typical non imformed comment to make.
King, I've seen you post on the football thread and been hard on the coaches of that team. I know you are the quarterback's dad. Didn't your son letter all 4 years of baseball? Was it a difference of philosophy or you just didn't like Rocky? He is well respected in Stark County, so if you are this adamant about him leaving, you must have reasons. I thought, as well as some others on here, the program seemed to elevate over the last 4 years. You were there, so you have first hand observations.
Old 06-11-18, 10:58 PM
Freshman

Truck Yeah is on a distinguished road
MINFAN
I believe you posted this in another thread. I follow the NBC and FED league in baseball and this was a terrible winter, or I mean spring. You say this and then in this thread you call out a coach that is respected for not being committed to his program!! Which is it? Do you know many teams in Ohio only played between 17 and 21 games before tournament? Look it up. Don't bash a guy because of a vendetta? We'll take him back?

MINFAN QUOTE:
We could do that, but it's 35 and feels like 22 right now and it's always windier at the baseball field. Maybe the ADs in the NBC, and other leagues, need to get together and redo the league schedule and include Sundays!! everyone plays on Sunday in summer ball...
Old 06-12-18, 12:40 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINFAN View Post
Bourquin did ok the 1st 3 years- but having one of the nicest fields in the area and only getting in 19 regular season games in 2018 shows no commitment to the program- thatís 8 games taken away from the kids. They had enough talent to build on 2017 16 wins, 6 returning seniors- all starters- only lost 1 starter maybe not win the league but still have a lot of wins, maybe 18 to 20 wins- the problem is they didnít play that many games- just seemed like a total lack of commitment by simply not playing games- the JV team played 13 games. Yes the weather was bad, but Minerva had the least amount of games on the NBC with several teams playing 27 regular season games- thatís like a football team playing 7 games.. in my opinion the AD and/or the manager took 8 games, 32 at bats and and 56 innings from the kids.. so if Minerva folks are frustrated - thatís why- a total lack of commitment to the program- I donít care how good or bad a team is - if a kid works his butt off to play a complete high school season then the AD and manager need to make it happen- simply leaving 8 games ďunplayedĒ is unacceptable - especially with a turf field/ funny how Alliance, Louisville and West Branch got 27 regular season games in

First, the AD must approve any rescheduled games, arrange travel and get umpires to work the event. It becomes very tough when there's already a shortage of umpires. Making up games late in the season causes a lot of strain on pitching staffs that are normally only about 2-3 guys deep with some scraps to follow. Burn your arms to get games in or hope they lead you to a run during the tournament?
Old 06-12-18, 05:00 AM
All District

MINFAN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Yeah View Post
MINFAN
I believe you posted this in another thread. I follow the NBC and FED league in baseball and this was a terrible winter, or I mean spring. You say this and then in this thread you call out a coach that is respected for not being committed to his program!! Which is it? Do you know many teams in Ohio only played between 17 and 21 games before tournament? Look it up. Don't bash a guy because of a vendetta? We'll take him back?

MINFAN QUOTE:
We could do that, but it's 35 and feels like 22 right now and it's always windier at the baseball field. Maybe the ADs in the NBC, and other leagues, need to get together and redo the league schedule and include Sundays!! everyone plays on Sunday in summer ball...

No vendetta- he helped put together and nice run in 2017/ I will give him all the credit for that , kids seem to like him and like each other, which is most important . Every other team was playing there best ball other at tournament time and Minerva looked ďrustyĒ. Probably due to not seeing live pitching.. it was a terrible weather year for baseball- but alliance played 29 games with 1 tournament win and Minerva 21!! With pretty similar teams.. it appeared like a lack of commitment to the program and the kids at the end of the year- it seemed like they were just playing out the string the last 3 weeks.. he had issues outside of baseball and I wish him the very best- but itís time to move on

Old 06-12-18, 07:49 AM
All District

NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Yeah View Post
King, I've seen you post on the football thread and been hard on the coaches of that team. I know you are the quarterback's dad. Didn't your son letter all 4 years of baseball? Was it a difference of philosophy or you just didn't like Rocky? He is well respected in Stark County, so if you are this adamant about him leaving, you must have reasons. I thought, as well as some others on here, the program seemed to elevate over the last 4 years. You were there, so you have first hand observations.
Truck, to start with I have no dog in this fight. I am just a fan that knows some of the kids and parents and watched some games. The year started with a 20 game schedule, that tells us that baseball is an after thought in Minerva. Non league games were canceled with no attempt to reschedule.. The coaches know they had no pitching depth and nothing was done to develop kids. I heard from a parent that his son pitched on 28 days rest with no bullpens in between. There is talented baseball players in system. 3 years ago an all Minerva team went to the 60/90 14u Nations State Tournament in Columbus and finished in the top 4. All we hear from the coaches and administration is how we have one of the nicest baseball facilities in the area - which is true. However, when I walk through town on a nice summer day I see travel teams and a senior league playing on the field - NO MINERVA KIDS!! In fact I heard that only 3 or 4 high school kids are playing summer ball. Did you know that our JV team played 12 games?? Come on!! I know the weather was bad but 12 games?? I think Bourguin is a great baseball guy. I think the kids played well for him, I think he had a pretty good presence on game day. But after a great year in 2017 and much hope in 2018, it was a very disappointing year from a fan's perspective. It's time to move on and hopefully the new AD will care about baseball enough to schedule the full allotment of games and young coach that will bring energy. he will need it because the it will be rebuilding mode in 2019., I wish Bourquin nothing but the best. he seems like a genuinely nice guy the few times I talked to him, however, in 2018 it just didn't seem like he was all in and it's time to move on...
Old 06-12-18, 11:11 AM
Freshman

Holycrap is on a distinguished road
2017 would have been better if Bourquin and his knucklehead staff wouldn't have run off one of the best players. Because of the lack of knowledge and only focusing on one of the coaches kids, Wyatt Kohl's arm got hurt his junior year.

How can you not have a kid pitch in a game, or throw a bullpen for 3 WEEKS and then expect him to start with no warning.

Then there was some BS about a kid threatening to quit and go run track, so when Kohl got hurt, he never quite saw the field again. Batting Average, SB, Pitching and Fielding stats were best or second best on team, but he just sat.

Good thing Kohl had a great Travel team to go to. Wasn't good enough for Minerva, but traveled the country that summer and did REALLY well. Did amazing in track his senior year.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all political either. I saw Rocky do some really dumb calls as a third base coach to. Send slow kids, hold up fast kids. If he was so smart, why didn't he know his players times?????
Old 06-12-18, 11:36 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes it is. We have conditioning, open gyms, and hitting league starting after the no contact period. Because the majority of our coaches have 8-5pm jobs we don't start anything until 4pm and noting goes longer than 1.5 hrs. This is every day (if they show up) except Wednesday and Sunday. After football is over our catchers will start working out (open gym) with any pitcher that doesn't have a private coach. Then the season starts and out practices could go to 9pm if we have freshmen, JV, and varsity teams. That is just for the assistant coaches. Take that and add all the other administrative junk that a head coach deals with and it makes for a lot of missed family time. Our head coach also administers the junior high teams and the summer high school team.