Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-10-18, 08:07 AM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
The Elam Ending - New Way to End Basketball Games

http://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2017/0...urnament-mugar

A proposal for a new way to end basketball games, avoiding the foul-fest that most games experience.

Very interesting read.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-18, 08:59 AM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
That's a plan I could go for. It might also answer some of the complaints about low scoring, stall ball, type games.
Old 07-10-18, 08:09 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Occam's Razor: publish the stats saying foul tactic only works 1% of the time, so then maybe the less than geniouses will move on to a tactic that involves trying to steal the ball or rush the ahead team's shot.
Old 07-11-18, 05:26 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Sounds interesting. Combine this idea with Corn Hole rules and it just might work.

The idea would be the winning team has to land exactly on the correct final score. Let's say it is 66 - 60 at the four minute to play mark (which would quickly become the end of timed regulation) , so the target score is 66 plus 7 equals 73. In order to win the game the team cannot score more than 73. If they do, they have to go back to 66 and try again. This insures to win a game, you have to hit a 3 or just 1 free throw, you can't win with only two point shots.

Are we really sure this guy is in Mensa?
Old 07-11-18, 07:22 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Any rule changes like this seem to me to punish the team that played well for the first 45 minutes of the game and want to run out the clock with the game in hand. How is a team supposed to come back in the final few minutes? Play better during the first 45 minutes of the game! It is frustrating to watch teams slow it down. But if there is enough of a margin, the teams have subs in on both sides to get experience. That would be lost under this suggested system. To me, the comical part is when they start fouling the other team off the ball; trying to get the poor free throw shooters to the line. IMO, if you HAD to change the rules, I would consider a rule that in the last 2-3 minutes of the game, if a player is fouled off the ball, then the team has the option of shooting free throws or taking the ball out of bounds. I realize that is benefiting the team with the lead by allowing them to keep a player on the court who can't shoot free throws. But, IMO, if I were the opposing coach, I'd prefer giving my team the chance to steal an inbound pass rather than to rely on someone missing FT's anyway. It's not a perfect solution, but if you are trying to address the issue, this is a less radical idea than is being suggested in the article.

Last edited by Irish60; 07-12-18 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-11-18, 01:20 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
I like this idea. The only problem with it is that none of the sanctioning bodies (NBA, NCAA, NFHS) where this happens the most often will consider it.
Old 07-11-18, 03:09 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
I stopped reading the article when I saw the word "Mensa".
Old 07-11-18, 03:37 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
I stopped reading the article when I saw the word "Mensa".
Agreed about that. A dumb person can come up with a great idea and a smart person can come up with a dumb idea. It really doesn't matter the intelligence of the person coming up with the idea and it's rather lazy of the person writing the article to think it should impact our opinion.
Old 07-12-18, 09:56 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Agreed about that. A dumb person can come up with a great idea and a smart person can come up with a dumb idea. It really doesn't matter the intelligence of the person coming up with the idea and it's rather lazy of the person writing the article to think it should impact our opinion.
Hey, wait just a dang a minute... You said you liked my idea... So is this a shot at me!?! LOL...
Old 07-12-18, 10:43 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
I'm dumber than rocks...
does that make me a Asnem?

:>---

EGA