Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-09-18, 02:21 PM
BobcatBomber BobcatBomber is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-21-05
Location: Dedicated to GB Reform
Posts: 14,723
BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Ripken Experience

My son's been invited to join a local National-level team this fall to play down in Pigeon Forge at the Ripken Baseball complex. Any of you guys done one of these tournaments? Can you offer any reason why we shouldn't participate? Looking forward to the experience.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 07-09-18, 03:17 PM
SLAGuy SLAGuy is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-11-17
Posts: 577
SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Is this a special tournament hosted by Ripken or one of their normal "experiences"?

If it's the latter, you can be matched up against almost any level of competition. If the team is that good, don't expect much competition.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-18, 03:21 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 8,664
winbypin is on a distinguished road
I hadn't known they opened one up in Pigeon Forge. I had looked at taking teams to the one in Myrtle Beach but it was too cost prohibitive for us. I would have loved for my kids to have this experience. The nice thing is if baseball isn't going well for you there is plenty of things to do in the area.

Do they require you to stay in a certain hotel or resort down there? If not, you could PM me if you want. We had stayed down there in some nice cabins (cabins is a loose term...they had home theaters in them). There are enough cabins in that resort where your entire team could stay there for socializing, etc. Heck, there are 1 or 2 cabins at the resort where the entire team could stay in one house. Parents could get their own cabins. Close enough to the strip to do those things too.

I love that area.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-09-18, 03:41 PM
BobcatBomber BobcatBomber is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-21-05
Location: Dedicated to GB Reform
Posts: 14,723
BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
Is this a special tournament hosted by Ripken or one of their normal "experiences"?

If it's the latter, you can be matched up against almost any level of competition. If the team is that good, don't expect much competition.
Not 100% sure. I'm guessing it's just their normal Halloween tournament. I have no idea how good the team will be. When I say National, that's the highest level of competition in our league (SWOL). But since this will be fall ball for the team, some will have other commitments and won't be joining the team. That's why my son was invited. He tried out for the team, got an offer, but ultimately chose another team. During that conversation with their coach, he offered for us to join them, knowing that several of their kids will be playing football.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-09-18, 03:52 PM
BobcatBomber BobcatBomber is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-21-05
Location: Dedicated to GB Reform
Posts: 14,723
BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
I hadn't known they opened one up in Pigeon Forge. I had looked at taking teams to the one in Myrtle Beach but it was too cost prohibitive for us. I would have loved for my kids to have this experience. The nice thing is if baseball isn't going well for you there is plenty of things to do in the area.

Do they require you to stay in a certain hotel or resort down there? If not, you could PM me if you want. We had stayed down there in some nice cabins (cabins is a loose term...they had home theaters in them). There are enough cabins in that resort where your entire team could stay there for socializing, etc. Heck, there are 1 or 2 cabins at the resort where the entire team could stay in one house. Parents could get their own cabins. Close enough to the strip to do those things too.

I love that area.
They do not require the kids to stay on "campus" like in Cooperstown. I have no idea what the lodging arrangements will be because we were just invited last week. I'm looking into our own lodging, but now you've got me wondering if they will push for the kids to stay together. I'll have to find that out. I'll PM you.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-09-18, 04:18 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 8,664
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
They do not require the kids to stay on "campus" like in Cooperstown. I have no idea what the lodging arrangements will be because we were just invited last week. I'm looking into our own lodging, but now you've got me wondering if they will push for the kids to stay together. I'll have to find that out. I'll PM you.
Got it. Sent you one back.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-09-18, 05:05 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,255
thavoice is on a distinguished road
We just got back from the week long experience recently.

Fantastic fields and setup.

Competition? Saw some very good teams, and some average and below average.

Cost for the week long is steep. From those who have done cooperstown and this say they prefer this place better in terms of setup, fields and where to stay.

Lodging..most stayed in cabins and some in hotels and such around the area. VRBO seemed to be the best options.
PRetty much the whole team stayed within 10 minutes of the place
The biggest issue is their propensity to play through terrible weather. They stopped only for lightening but played through some very heavy rain so they could stay on schedule.

Tremendous views with the mountains in the backdrop and the fields were fantastic. Umpiring was solid. We didnt play well but it was a very good experience and if cost isnt an issue then I recommend the Ripken experience.

and for things to do in the area...plenty but I suggest more Gatlinburg over Pigeon Forge.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-10-18, 02:07 PM
BobcatBomber BobcatBomber is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-21-05
Location: Dedicated to GB Reform
Posts: 14,723
BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
ttt
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-10-18, 03:10 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 49,791
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
The biggest issue is their propensity to play through terrible weather. They stopped only for lightening but played through some very heavy rain so they could stay on schedule.
The same thing for their games in Myrtle Beach. Playing through downpours is expected. Can be interesting when the field gets very wet and someone slides 5 feet passed the base they were sliding too. Kids were hanging on to the bases like it was a flotation device.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-10-18, 03:54 PM
BobcatBomber BobcatBomber is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-21-05
Location: Dedicated to GB Reform
Posts: 14,723
BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess I should prepare to watch in the snow? That would be fun...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-10-18, 03:56 PM
BobcatBomber BobcatBomber is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-21-05
Location: Dedicated to GB Reform
Posts: 14,723
BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
We just got back from the week long experience recently.

Fantastic fields and setup.

Competition? Saw some very good teams, and some average and below average.

Cost for the week long is steep. From those who have done cooperstown and this say they prefer this place better in terms of setup, fields and where to stay.

Lodging..most stayed in cabins and some in hotels and such around the area. VRBO seemed to be the best options.
PRetty much the whole team stayed within 10 minutes of the place
The biggest issue is their propensity to play through terrible weather. They stopped only for lightening but played through some very heavy rain so they could stay on schedule.

Tremendous views with the mountains in the backdrop and the fields were fantastic. Umpiring was solid. We didnt play well but it was a very good experience and if cost isnt an issue then I recommend the Ripken experience.

and for things to do in the area...plenty but I suggest more Gatlinburg over Pigeon Forge.
The Halloween weekend tourney is $750/team. 3 game guarantee. Luckily, I think the team is going to foot nearly all of the bill. Iíll just have transportation and lodging to worry about.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-11-18, 10:31 AM
Peak Peak is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 07-21-17
Posts: 7
Peak is on a distinguished road
My son's 12U team just completed the week long experience in MB. Very fun time for the kids and the families. The facilities were great! We did have to stay at one of the "Ripken" resorts, which was costly. I would have rather rented a house/cabin for the week vs the resort, but in the end the boys had fun and saw some good competition. it was fun all around. I know our team would do it again if they could.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-11-18, 11:19 AM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 8,664
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
The Halloween weekend tourney is $750/team. 3 game guarantee. Luckily, I think the team is going to foot nearly all of the bill. Iíll just have transportation and lodging to worry about.
The bad news is that might be considered a peak period for the area. I just checked the link I sent you on those cabins and they call it high season for the entire month of October.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-11-18, 01:41 PM
BobcatBomber BobcatBomber is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-21-05
Location: Dedicated to GB Reform
Posts: 14,723
BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah. Already found out it’s peak season. AirBnB is looking better and better.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-13-18, 03:50 PM
BobcatBomber BobcatBomber is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-21-05
Location: Dedicated to GB Reform
Posts: 14,723
BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Bump
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-13-18, 05:01 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,297
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Is a houseboat rental a worthy option ? Not peak season for swimming.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-14-18, 07:57 AM
BobcatBomber BobcatBomber is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-21-05
Location: Dedicated to GB Reform
Posts: 14,723
BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Not looking to rent for the swimming. But AirBnB seems the more affordable option, as it is peak season for tourists. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-14-18, 08:19 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,297
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
Not looking to rent for the swimming. But AirBnB seems the more affordable option, as it is peak season for tourists. Any other suggestions?
Well, neither is anyone else in October......that is kind of the point. There are many options for houseboats on those TVA impoundments. Not sure about price, or proximity, for that matter. Just wondered if it was a cool affordable option in October. Your kid is fairly young, right ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Butler-Warren Wrestling Club-No Experience Necessary CoachCoffey Wrestling 2 11-09-17 12:03 AM
Butler-Warren Wrestling Club-No Experience Necessary CoachCoffey Tournaments looking for teams, open tournaments, wrestling camps/clubs, etc. 2 11-09-17 12:02 AM
Fan Experience for High School Sports Fans mdavis01 General Board 26 09-28-17 07:11 PM
Football schools with no OHSAA playoff experience WSAImpact Football 33 07-19-17 11:00 PM
2017 Softball Schedule Airborne88 Tallmadge Blue Devils 0 04-04-17 09:32 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz