Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-02-18, 01:22 PM
Freshman

DaytonGuy15 is on a distinguished road
Looking for advice

My son turns 15 in August. He wants to make the jump from Rec (allstar level) to select. I'm a realist when it comes to my kid's ability. He is "rough around the edges", but will make a solid ball player with some quality coaching. I've pend the last 7 years coaching select fastpitch so our travel schedule prevented us from getting him into select sooner than this.

I'm willing to put in the extra time outside of team practices. We will commit to regular hitting instruction as well. He understands that he is behind the curve and that he will have to work his butt off to get playing time. He is good with that.

Question...where do we start? We are in the Dayton area.

I'm not looking for an elite team, because that would be wasting everyone's time. I'm looking for an good, average team with good coaching. I've been involved with the local fastpitch scene for 7+ years, but I have no idea about baseball.

I'm sure no one is going to openly respond with "we are an average team so check us out." I've coached and wouldn't admit that in public even when I knew we were an average team.

Private messages welcome. Again, not fishing for any specific team, but rather some recommendations on teams, coaches, organizations, etc.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-18, 04:52 PM
All District

MERKLE is on a distinguished road
1- go to several tryouts and get a feel for the team and it’s coaches. Advise your son that several teams are only looking to add one or two players, so be prepared for some rejection. Talk to other parents at the tryout, and mostly listen.

2- check with the high school coach. There might be some good references

3- choose a team/league that will challenge your son, but also at a level where he will get playing time.
Old 07-02-18, 06:08 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
I might add the thought that you should go and watch some games. Slide up by the dugout and listen to how the kids treat each other and how the coach runs a game.

Talking to some parents can remind one of the parable of the blind men and the elephant.
Old 07-04-18, 02:23 PM
Varsity

old-school is on a distinguished road
Turning 15, it's important to realistically assess where would he fit positionally. What are his skills? Nearly all kids by that age have zeroed in on their role. Hard to imagine he will be a pitcher or a catcher or a SS. So you are then looking at where on the diamond does he play? Is he corner OF or corner IF or Cf or 2b...how's his arm and speed?

Figure that out then find a team where he can play and develop in those roles and most importantly - Hit year round with a good hitting instructor.
Old 07-05-18, 10:29 AM
Junior Varsity

Canesbaseball804 is on a distinguished road
Feel free to message me, My name is Doug Adams and i coach Canes Baseball in that Age group.. Our First team would be consider by some to be Elite, but we are starting a second team this year in the same age group coached by John Schroeder, A non parent coach with lots of experience. Could be a fit for your son