Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-20-18, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
The solution to the problem doesn't involve the word guns. When someone proposes real solutions, people will listen.
Well there goes every Republican and NRA solution I ever heard - more guns, for everyone!!!

I'm listening.

Last edited by TigerPaw; 05-20-18 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-20-18, 09:18 AM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Who said anything about “ban” something. ?
So you are just complaining for the sake of complaining...ok.
Old 05-20-18, 09:23 AM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
Seems like it. That's the lefts M.O. Complain about access to guns, then say "who said ban?" When that's exactly what they meant. If you can't get access to a gun......that means you are banned from it. My kids had access to guns since they were born. Guns aren't anything special to them, kinda like the coffee maker on the counter.
Old 05-20-18, 09:28 AM
All Yappi

SWMC I am forbidden from mentioning the word guns but I will try. Off the top of my head: (let's brainstorm).

Retrofit schools with more secure entrance/exits.
Focus NRA on safe and responsible use rather than sales sales sales. (they are effectively a gun mfg lobby).
Funding for healthcare and treating mental illness.
More stringent enforcement of background checks, enforcement, unlawful sale, ownership, use.
Tighten loopholes.
Personal responsibility. Ie. examine ownership liability for unlawful and/or accident use of unsecured weapons. Should probably require insurance also.
Liability laws for manufacturers, as we do with most other products.
Raising the minimum age.
Technological advancements in safety and restrictive use.

The NRA(& GOP) has also managed to halt all research into the study and spread of information about causes of *** violence. Not good for sales. One study that caused particular backlash explained the dangers of having a gun in the home. (which is actually more dangerous than not having one). We obviously can not let people know that can we?

I am sure some suggestions are better than others and I anticipate hearing about the flaws of each. But maybe you'll surprise me. Your suggestions?
Old 05-20-18, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
The day a kid attending a Catholic school would wear a trench coat would likely be his last day at the school. Catholic schools have their reasons for a uniform code.
give us your tired, your poor (unless they are +210lbs with <4.55 40 and vouchered), your incorrigible masses yearning to act out.......

It's great to be able to winnow the chaff. Can't blame ya'll even a little bit. It only makes sense. The publics need an option modeled after Ginn Academy to "fix" these kids. An option that kids can be "sentenced" to, instead of just dragging down the bottom schools. We warehouse problems and save few.
Old 05-20-18, 09:57 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
They always go to that. And decay of society stuff. And laws can be broken stuff. Groundhog day over and over. If the solution does not involve tax cuts to billionaires or banning dark people it's tough to draw interest.
You are not a young person. You have been around. C'mon.

It's one thing when a clueless little troll in his mid-to-late-20s scoffs at the "decay of society stuff". We know that they know little and have seen less. The lack of experiential knowledge shows through every time they regurgitate the liberal pablum they've been spoon fed. It just shocks me that someone that would seemingly have had to have been sentient from the late 60s forward could be so lacking in awareness to as to minimize this stuff. You can only be a victim of a systemic brainwashing to not get it. It's just sad to me. It's as if people like yourself have given their souls away. I hope whatever it was that you recieved in return was worth it.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 05-20-18 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 10:40 AM
All American

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
No my argument was related to people acting like school shootings are rare and only a big deal because of the media.
Anyone that thinks if guns were banned this would never happen isn’t being realistic, but there absolutely needs to be something done. The biggest issue is mental health and in today’s world schools can’t discriminate against kids who they think have problems. The parents think oh my Johnny is just being a typical moody teen he doesn’t need to see a dr.

Last edited by Ts1960; 05-20-18 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 10:50 AM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
SWMC I am forbidden from mentioning the word guns but I will try. Off the top of my head: (let's brainstorm).

Retrofit schools with more secure entrance/exits.
Focus NRA on safe and responsible use rather than sales sales sales. (they are effectively a gun mfg lobby).
Funding for healthcare and treating mental illness.
More stringent enforcement of background checks, enforcement, unlawful sale, ownership, use.
Tighten loopholes.
Personal responsibility. Ie. examine ownership liability for unlawful and/or accident use of unsecured weapons. Should probably require insurance also.
Liability laws for manufacturers, as we do with most other products.
Raising the minimum age.
Technological advancements in safety and restrictive use.

The NRA(& GOP) has also managed to halt all research into the study and spread of information about causes of *** violence. Not good for sales. One study that caused particular backlash explained the dangers of having a gun in the home. (which is actually more dangerous than not having one). We obviously can not let people know that can we?

I am sure some suggestions are better than others and I anticipate hearing about the flaws of each. But maybe you'll surprise me. Your suggestions?
States and local school boards are restricting access to schools. There are fences, locked doors, etc. Schools have been hardened quite a bit since I graduated HS (40 years ago) and even since my last child graduated almost 8 years ago. What is the next step that will solve this?

I'm guessing that you don't really understand the NRA. MOST of the money that the organization spends is on safety and responsible use. Classes, seminars, events, etc. I would encourage you to purchase a membership and read the magazine and pay attention to the message. Yes, there are ads but the stories are about rare weapons, collector stories, competitions, manufacturing details...…. it's like a car magazine, not a how-to on shooting up schools.

We spend a trillion dollars a year on healthcare and mental illness. How much more is needed to resolve the problem? We've already seen that reporting mental illness doesn't necessarily get these people off the streets. In fact, so much of what we consider to be "mental illness" has been normalized over the last couple of decades. We don't lock people up, we don't allow their mental illness to be considered for a number of things that they can do, we've made it a crime to share medical information or to be in possession of it. Did we go too far?

Where have proper studies been ignored? If you are referring to CDC studies, gun violence is not a disease, it's a crime. Let the CDC study diseases and illness to determine causes and cures but not a result and try to retrofit a prevention. There are a LOT of independent studies that show violent video games and movies have led to increased violence. Let's explore all of them.

More stringent enforcement of what? We already do background checks. Liability insurance is a good idea, most gun owners have it, but just like if someone stole your car - you aren't liable for the damage that they would do. Specifically what would that insurance look like? Then you have the nature of what you'd like to see, when a private insurer won't step up to meet a requirement (or the costs are prohibitive) the government steps in - are you expecting something like FDIC or Flood insurance? A broad program set up by and backstopped by the government?

Raising the age for what? Most people that grew up where I grew up had a rifle before they had armpit hair. We started with BB and pellet guns before we started school. We allow 18 year old's to vote, to smoke, 21 year old's to drink, we allow 16 year old's to drive, we allow 18 year old's to marry, you can serve in the military at 18, I've known fighter pilots that couldn't legally drink. Is raising the age really the answer to the problem?

So you would place technological handicaps on a weapon that would hinder it's use as a protective weapon when needed quickly, but would essentially give someone with the time and means to prepare to use the weapon an ability to overcome those restrictions? Imagine the liability if someone were killed trying to operate a weapon quickly in their defense or the defense of a family member while the murderer simply slaughtered them...….

The manufacturer is building a legal device. Now, if they were withholding information about the product or the manufacturing process that would lead to the eventual death of the purchaser, I'm right behind you. But, shouldn't we also place the SAME liabilities on those that encourage the behavior like book publishers, news outlets, game manufacturers, movie and TV studios?

Should the victims bear responsibility if it is discovered that they bullied the murderer? Didn't include them in their social activities? Called them names? If we are discussing liability, surely the people that weren't inclusive of the perpetrator also deserve some of the blame.

It looks like I am trying to negate your arguments, I am posting counterpoints. As a senior engineer I often have to advise junior engineers who come to me with problems that have cropped up in their projects. My 1st question is ALWAYS "what changed". If something WASN'T happening and then STARTED to happen, inevitably something changed. Find out what that is and you can begin to track down how to solve it.
Old 05-20-18, 12:03 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Sorry if this has already been brought up, but were the father's guns locked up in some sort of safe? Also, is it not a federal crime to have a sawed-off shotgun?
Old 05-20-18, 12:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Sorry if this has already been brought up, but were the father's guns locked up in some sort of safe? Also, is it not a federal crime to have a sawed-off shotgun?
There is a minimum barrel length, but I don't know it off the top of my head.
Old 05-20-18, 12:17 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Well, you can saw off either the barrel or the stock to make it shorter. Have to wonder if the parents didn't notice that whrring sound coming from the garage or the basement.
Old 05-20-18, 12:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Well, you can saw off either the barrel or the stock to make it shorter. Have to wonder if the parents didn't notice that whrring sound coming from the garage or the basement.
I made all my home-made bongs on my dad's work bench when no one was home. If his dad had a sawzall and the right blades, it would not take long to modify a shotgun.

Clamp it in the vise with a towel wrapped around it, 5 minutes tops for each blade change, layout, and cut. Maybe deburr with a Dremel tool, clean up. Half hour for even an artisan-type job.
Old 05-20-18, 01:41 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Um, you can buy tactical shotguns at most any gun store, Cabella’s etc
Old 05-20-18, 02:06 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
You are not a young person. You have been around. C'mon.

It's one thing when a clueless little troll in his mid-to-late-20s scoffs at the "decay of society stuff". We know that they know little and have seen less. The lack of experiential knowledge shows through every time they regurgitate the liberal pablum they've been spoon fed. It just shocks me that someone that would seemingly have had to have been sentient from the late 60s forward could be so lacking in awareness to as to minimize this stuff. You can only be a victim of a systemic brainwashing to not get it. It's just sad to me. It's as if people like yourself have given their souls away. I hope whatever it was that you recieved in return was worth it.
Yeah the 60's were groovy. What the hell are you even talking about?

If you want to cynically and impotently bemoan the decay of society like some helpless old white male fart go ahead. But Hollywood movies and video games are not the only glorification of guns and violence (and HATE) that have saturated our culture and society. Maybe look in a mirror?
Old 05-20-18, 02:16 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
No my argument was related to people acting like school shootings are rare and only a big deal because of the media.
Anyone that thinks if guns were banned this would never happen isn’t being realistic, but there absolutely needs to be something done. The biggest issue is mental health and in today’s world schools can’t discrkminate against kids who they think have problems. The parents think oh my Johnny is just being a typical moody teen he doesn’t need to see a dr.
I agree.
Old 05-20-18, 02:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

If you want to cynically and impotently bemoan the decay of society like some helpless old white male fart go ahead. But Hollywood movies and video games are not the only glorification of guns and violence (and HATE) that have saturated our culture and society. Maybe look in a mirror?
my bet would be you are old, white and definitely hateful.
Old 05-20-18, 05:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
…….

BTW - I didn't frame the discussion so you couldn't mention guns.

Now, for my suggestions -

Retrofit schools with automatic doors, they would close classrooms off and segment the hallways to isolate the students and trap the attacker. Sound detection would work like home glass-break detectors to trigger the lockdown.

Doors and glass would be hardened.

For external access pathways - frame doors with metal detectors, any mass greater than a specific amount would sound an alarm and that student would be subject to search. It might also make sense to install magnetometers in other locations to detect the movement of specific amounts of metal during classroom hours.

Just as various parents volunteer to help in the classroom, volunteers would be accepted to provide armed backup to school safety resources. Former military or police - those that have had weapons training.

I'd allow teachers to carry. Their choice, but I would take schools off of the "gun free zone" nonsense. It doesn't seem to work.

Teachers, administrators, volunteers, etc. would have the right to search any suspicious backpack, package, or excessive clothing that might hide a weapon.
Old 05-20-18, 06:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

This poor loser thinks being an ostrich is manly

Denying the obvious is obviously the problem.

btw, what did you trade your soul for ? A job at KSU ?
Old 05-20-18, 06:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
Um, you can buy tactical shotguns at most any gun store, Cabella’s etc
18 or 16" barrel ?
Old 05-20-18, 08:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
18 or 16" barrel ?
Ohio is 18
Old 05-21-18, 08:52 AM
All District

IamToz15 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=SWMCinci;7046421]
Retrofit schools with automatic doors, they would close classrooms off and segment the hallways to isolate the students and trap the attacker. Sound detection would work like home glass-break detectors to trigger the lockdown.

Doors and glass would be hardened.

For external access pathways - frame doors with metal detectors, any mass greater than a specific amount would sound an alarm and that student would be subject to search. It might also make sense to install magnetometers in other locations to detect the movement of specific amounts of metal during classroom hours.[/b]

Who's going to pay for all this crap? Bake sale? Chances at a half-court shot? Taxpayers? Please don't go there. I thought we were supposedly overtaxed as it is.

Teachers, administrators, volunteers, etc. would have the right to search any suspicious backpack, package, or excessive clothing that might hide a weapon.

Would this apply to 18-year-old students? Are we willing to "tweek" a persons personal rights.... and "freedoms".... for safety? Wow that would be a dozey coming from those on the right! LOL
Old 05-21-18, 09:30 AM
All Yappi

At least SWMC provided honest opinions unlike cabby bs. (still have no idea what that was about).

I agree on improving some security features, though as you point out he did not address the "pay for" for such a huge expense.

I kinda knew his (and most on right) response would be militaristic and intrusive. They are the random search and frisk show me your papers NRA by the balls party. I do think it is sad to imagine our only solution for a safer society is to fortify and arm ourselves from each other as we would for a military attack by an invading army. Is that what we've become, and how we want to live?
Old 05-21-18, 09:32 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamToz15
Are we willing to "tweek" a persons personal rights.... and "freedoms".... for safety? Wow that would be a dozey coming from those on the right! LOL[/B]
Apparently we are. Irony noted after the students protested for "change", got it, and then decided they didn't care for it.

I haven't heard whether the teachers' union protested these measures. If they are considered to be more on the Dem/liberal, then it would be reasonable to assume the left approves. Call it bi-partisan agreement, a rarity these days

NOTE: I didn't address the "searching thru loose clothing" issue. I can see where that one is going.

Old 05-21-18, 10:48 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamToz15 View Post
Who's going to pay for all this crap? Bake sale? Chances at a half-court shot? Taxpayers? Please don't go there. I thought we were supposedly overtaxed as it is.

Would this apply to 18-year-old students? Are we willing to "tweek" a persons personal rights.... and "freedoms".... for safety? Wow that would be a dozey coming from those on the right! LOL
#1 It's NOT a federal issue. As I have said on this board for YEARS, schools are a state and local issue. These issues are best handled at the local level. If the parents want to put their children in a fortified camp, let them pay for it with local taxes and/or bond issues.

#2 It's NOT A crisis. It's something that occurs less than 5 times a year and injures/kills less than 30 people a year They are completely random and not part of any coordinated or ongoing effort.

#3 If you feel it's a problem, you will give up some of your rights to feel protected (travel via an aircraft lately?). The question is, how do we give up as little as possible for maximum effect.

Like most things paid for by taxpayers, people don't care what the cost is as long as someone else is apparently paying for it. California LOVES illegals until Mr. and Mrs. Los Angeles has to DIRECTLY pay the freight and not spread it out over 350 million other people.

The local police and schools are best equipped to understand what needs to be done on a school-by-school basis. They are the ones that are responsible for the safety of the people. Let them assess the danger and determine the best course of action. If they think they need to spend money to achieve it, they can take it to the local voters with specific reasoning and costs.

I'd be willing to bet MOST taxpayers would balk at paying for these types of measures if there isn't a real threat. If the threat is real there is no problem, people vote for levies and bond issues all the time. Everyone wants to stick their hands into someone else's pockets to get something for apparently nothing, but if they are being asked to pay for it they will ask for cheaper alternatives OR question whether it is needed at all.

The students who are screaming for protection, want it as long as it is someone else giving up their rights. They are a little whiny if they are being asked to give it up for their specific protection. Realistically the criminals are bringing these weapons in backpacks and baggy clothes to conceal their intent...… if we eliminate those elements have we gotten to 90% of the goal - which are safer schools?
Old 05-21-18, 10:58 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Listening to McConnell's show this morning on WLW, he came up with two fairly simple tactics that should be examined...

1. equip all schools with metal detectors. Many inner city schools already have them, which ironically, you rarely hear about any of these school shootings in inner city schools.

2. stop identifying the shooter. now this is a media issue and everyone would have to be on board. You'd have to design some heavy penalties for any media that circulates these names. Now we currently don't identify victims of sexual assaults, so it can be done.

Now back to the metal detectors, not a great idea, but it's plain to see that allowing schools to come up with their own vetting system isn't working. Much like at stadiums, any bags would have to be searched coming into school, and all personnel would enter through a metal detector door.
Simply saying ban all guns is a pipe dream and is never, ever going to happen and it's illegal anyway.

Looking for "warning signs" is ok, but how many of these kids that we "think" could do something like this, and the number that actually carry it out is two different numbers.
Old 05-21-18, 11:40 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLEMOJO View Post
I am not a member of NRA, but I have seen their material and have been instructed by NRA trained instructors and range masters. In all that time, I have never been offered a firearm for sale by the NRA. Where do they sell their firearms? What brand do they sell? Their NRA store sells hats, t-shirts and coffee mugs but I did not see any firearms for sale (https://www.nrastore.com/). So, what the heck are you talking about?

The NRA supports safe firearms instruction. I think you are confusing them with some other organization. They do not sell firearms, they do not endorse a firearms brand or manufacturer and they do not speak for the firearms industry.

Remington is just about ready to file bankruptcy. What has the NRA done to help them?
This is why arguing this issue is so frustrating. One side is overly emotional and totally ignorant of the facts on the topic and when faced with the facts, they totally ignore them.

Last edited by Purplemojo; 05-21-18 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 12:28 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMCinci View Post
#1 It's NOT a federal issue. As I have said on this board for YEARS, schools are a state and local issue. These issues are best handled at the local level. If the parents want to put their children in a fortified camp, let them pay for it with local taxes and/or bond issues.

#2 It's NOT A crisis. It's something that occurs less than 5 times a year and injures/kills less than 30 people a year They are completely random and not part of any coordinated or ongoing effort.

#3 If you feel it's a problem, you will give up some of your rights to feel protected (travel via an aircraft lately?). The question is, how do we give up as little as possible for maximum effect.

Like most things paid for by taxpayers, people don't care what the cost is as long as someone else is apparently paying for it. California LOVES illegals until Mr. and Mrs. Los Angeles has to DIRECTLY pay the freight and not spread it out over 350 million other people.

The local police and schools are best equipped to understand what needs to be done on a school-by-school basis. They are the ones that are responsible for the safety of the people. Let them assess the danger and determine the best course of action. If they think they need to spend money to achieve it, they can take it to the local voters with specific reasoning and costs.

I'd be willing to bet MOST taxpayers would balk at paying for these types of measures if there isn't a real threat. If the threat is real there is no problem, people vote for levies and bond issues all the time. Everyone wants to stick their hands into someone else's pockets to get something for apparently nothing, but if they are being asked to pay for it they will ask for cheaper alternatives OR question whether it is needed at all.

The students who are screaming for protection, want it as long as it is someone else giving up their rights. They are a little whiny if they are being asked to give it up for their specific protection. Realistically the criminals are bringing these weapons in backpacks and baggy clothes to conceal their intent...… if we eliminate those elements have we gotten to 90% of the goal - which are safer schools?
I think I mentioned "bake sale" and a halftime fundraiser to imply I was aware of it as a "local" issue. But glad I was able to open the door for your "federal" taxes rant. Felt like you wanted to get all that off your chest.

Anyway... I don't think its a crisis. I personally don't care. As long as something doesn't directly effect me.... it doesn't effect me.
Old 05-21-18, 12:33 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post

2. stop identifying the shooter. now this is a media issue and everyone would have to be on board. You'd have to design some heavy penalties for any media that circulates these names. Now we currently don't identify victims of sexual assaults, so it can be done.
Completely disagree with this idea. If that were the case we never would have gotten to hear TJ Lane's comments to the victims parents which were an all time classic!
Old 05-21-18, 04:44 PM
All Region

IcyCoolDevil is on a distinguished road
I am a little offended that BJF thinks NOTHING is being done, when the truth is steps have been taken at many, if not most, schools over the past 15 years to prevent such issues. But the resources cannot move swift enough, or be large enough to stay ahead of the game in all 40,000 high schools in America. However, here is an investment tip for you; put your money into Classroom Secure RLS, or Fighting Chance Solutions, or Global Innovations. They currently can't keep up with the demand for their products. Also, some states already allow for their licensed to carry teachers and staff to carry guns into the classroom. Talk about making it sound scary by repeating the phrase 'arming our teachers'. And no Ms. 24 year old, 95 pound kindergartner teacher, no one is asking you to learn how to handle a gun, just don't question the gym teacher if he has one. And I'm not hung up on whether we should publicize the perpetrators name or not. The name I want spread far and wide until his mother cries that we are embarrassing him is the kid that showed up to school with intent to do harm and some resource officer, or teacher, or administrator caught him and ended the threat!
As a slight diversion to the discussion is any one else bothered that the #metoo crowd encourages girls and women to stand up for themselves and say 'No' when they feel threatened, which by all accounts is what some young lady did in Texas, but then that got her shot? Does it seem like a never ending loop that we can't step out of?
Old 05-21-18, 04:58 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyCoolDevil View Post
I am a little offended that BJF thinks NOTHING is being done, when the truth is steps have been taken at many, if not most, schools over the past 15 years to prevent such issues.
I am, by background and training, a security type guy. I am the one at the movies checking where the exits are. I also get to a lot of schools, my own children's parochial schools and many public schools for professional reasons. I can tell you that I have been "buzzed" into all these schools and my credentials have never been checked, nor have I gone through a metal detector. That is shocking and continues to cause me distress. Yes, all of the schools in my area have security doors and a single access point, but, what good is that if they continue to just let everyone in without any scrutiny?

Getting into a school should have the same level of security as getting on a flight. Until that is done, all of the gun talk is BS. There is no gun issue at the airport. Ask yourself why that is. For those who think that will traumatize these kids, well, I guess you don't allow your kids to fly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: