Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-07-19, 12:37 AM
Varsity

OVTC is on a distinguished road
This is not a track meet

Friday night they ran what was called the Coaches Classic at Ross high school. What a joke! How can you run a meet with no relays and call it the Coaches Classic. Gerstner has tried to ruin this meet and he's done a great job at it. This used to be the most prestigious meet in SW Ohio. Now teams are dropping out of this meet because of Gerstner. First the GMC school led by Mason and Sycamore started a meet called the clash of the titans. Now Moeller has started a meet at Mt. St. Joseph's track.

Here is Gerstner's pathetic excuse for a track meet. Has anyone ever seen a track meet without relays? Check this out. https://timerhub.com/get_web_index.p...classicfinals/
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-19, 01:44 AM
All World

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Would you elaborate, other than the lack of relays, as to what Gerstner has supposedly done to ruin the meet? Why's it gone south?
Old 04-07-19, 06:38 AM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVTC View Post
Friday night they ran what was called the Coaches Classic at Ross high school. (snip) Now teams are dropping out of this meet because of Gerstner.
My memory may be faulty, but I thought a few years ago there were complaints about the meet because it went on too long. Was dropping the relays a way to shorten the time it takes to complete the meet?
I don't mind the relays, but sometimes it takes a bunch of time between heats to get exchange zones ready. A big meet with multiple heats of relays can chew up a big chunk of time on a Friday night in early April, when the weather isn't always warm.
Old 04-07-19, 07:08 AM
All Region

panott is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Friday night they ran what was called the Coaches Classic at Ross high school. What a joke! How can you run a meet with no relays and call it the Coaches Classic. Gerstner has tried to ruin this meet and he's done a great job at it. This used to be the most prestigious meet in SW Ohio. Now teams are dropping out of this meet because of Gerstner. First the GMC school led by Mason and Sycamore started a meet called the clash of the titans. Now Moeller has started a meet at Mt. St. Joseph's track.

Here is Gerstner's pathetic excuse for a track meet. Has anyone ever seen a track meet without relays? Check this out. https://timerhub.com/get_web_index.p...classicfinals/
Troy has a meet to start every year where there are no relays. It is very well received because: 1) you get 4 entries per event, 2) because there are no relays you get open times on runners that you normally couldn't get, and 3) the meet goes much faster. At the end of March or the beginning of April that is a great thing.
Old 04-07-19, 07:35 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
A no relay meet like Troy to start the season works well when you dont know who you have for relays, not enough time due to weather to stand around and do handoffs, kids on spring break.......But week 3 or 4? No thanks
Old 04-07-19, 08:04 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by panott View Post
Troy has a meet to start every year where there are no relays. It is very well received because: 1) you get 4 entries per event, 2) because there are no relays you get open times on runners that you normally couldn't get, and 3) the meet goes much faster. At the end of March or the beginning of April that is a great thing.
This meet is allowing four individual entrants per event. On the other hand at the DII/DIII Coaches Classic where the relays are run, there are only two entrants allowed per event. I can remember the early days of this meet where there were four qualifying meets on Wednesday where the top four in each event qualified to the finals. Now they run all the heats in one day and pick the scorers by time. If you check the 100m there were seven heats with five scorers coming from heat seven, two from heat six and one from heat five. https://timerhub.com/getHytResults.p...170407F006.htm

Last edited by Lancermania; 04-07-19 at 08:22 AM..
Old 04-07-19, 11:12 AM
All Region

beeman is on a distinguished road
Dropping the relays was voted on by the coaches.

Why knock a meet that doesn't run relays when it's been acceptable to run relay only meets?
Old 04-07-19, 11:25 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
Dropping the relays was voted on by the coaches.

Why knock a meet that doesn't run relays when it's been acceptable to run relay only meets?
My thought exactly.

We run a JV meet without relays. Very well attended.

We have floated the idea of a Distance only meet.
Old 04-07-19, 11:33 AM
All American

lane4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Friday night they ran what was called the Coaches Classic at Ross high school. What a joke! How can you run a meet with no relays and call it the Coaches Classic. Gerstner has tried to ruin this meet and he's done a great job at it. This used to be the most prestigious meet in SW Ohio. Now teams are dropping out of this meet because of Gerstner.

For a decade this was the best regular season meet in SW Ohio, a great early-season test of the best. Then several years ago some top coaches started getting fed up with the administration of the meet(questionable team assignments to the prelim sites, Gerstner requiring teams to provide meet volunteers even though everyone paid a STEEP entry fee, finals that often ran deep into the night due to slow management(his own timing company of course), etc, etc) and decided to say screw it. It's a shame, and nothing more than a mid-level invitational now.

The GMC titans meet last week was fantastic.
Old 04-07-19, 03:16 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
I do not understand the point of ripping on a meet or an individual here! Too many other meets to go to to worry about this one or five. There are very successful programs that I would never want to emulate. There are programs that struggle that I think are doing it right. I guess that success is subjective. We run our meets the way we like to right or wrong. You do you.
Old 04-07-19, 08:22 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
I do not understand the point of ripping on a meet or an individual here! Too many other meets to go to to worry about this one or five. There are very successful programs that I would never want to emulate. There are programs that struggle that I think are doing it right. I guess that success is subjective. We run our meets the way we like to right or wrong. You do you.
Thank you pyschodad.
Old 04-08-19, 09:38 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Yup. I go to one every year now. The 3200 is also not contested. It doesn't make me think any less of the meet. I go because I'm OK with the meet's format. It works well for that particular point in the season.
Old 04-08-19, 11:19 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Yup. I go to one every year now. The 3200 is also not contested. It doesn't make me think any less of the meet. I go because I'm OK with the meet's format. It works well for that particular point in the season.
What do you say to your 3200 runners when they ask why they can't compete like the rest of the team?
Old 04-08-19, 11:32 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
What do you say to your 3200 runners when they ask why they can't compete like the rest of the team?
Nothing. They get to run the 1600 and 800. If it was a major problem, we would find another meet. It's a season-opening triangular meet that's basically a series of time trials and field event trials, so we can better evaluate runners before we have to compete in relays. The host school is in a league where dual meets count toward the league title, so they want to figure out their relays before they have to run for keeps. It ends up being a fast meet, so even if the weather is bad (as it often is in late March), the meet is over before weather becomes a problem. It also saves us from spending a day of practice to run time trials.

Back to your original question. It's no different than how we have to handle the PV. There are plenty of meets in our area that don't contest the PV (1/3 of the schools in my county don't have PV pits). We can either choose to attend and have them not compete, attend and send them to another meet, or find another meet altogether.

Incidentally, I am finding that not all track athletes view competing at the weekend meet as the reward it once was. For some, giving up a portion of the weekend to compete in just 1 event seems like a punishment, and heaven forbid it be a meet with bad weather, and heaven really forbid it be a Friday night meet.
Old 04-08-19, 12:11 PM
All American

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
What an overreaction and bitter person you must be OVTC.

The coach signed a contract before the competition.

On the contract, the order of events are listed.

You are not obligated or forced to attend this meet.

Go to a different meet and stop your whinning.
Old 04-08-19, 12:43 PM
All World

When I was competing, it didn't matter what day of the week it was, what time it was, how long the meet was. The only thing that mattered to me is that it was MEET DAY! My day to do my thing! Better than Christmas in a lot of ways. I lived for it back then, and still look fondly back on that attitude I had back then. If only we could transplant our well-used and tired adult minds back into our young bodies...wouldn't life be grand!
Old 04-08-19, 01:09 PM
All American

Quote:
If it was a major problem, we would find another meet.

That's exactly the point of the OP. What was once a great city-wide meet is now a shell of itself because coaches got fed up and pulled out. Generally coaches will have patience when a school is putting on meet. But when it's a professional company - not so much. Especially when the meet manager does not exactly take constructive criticism well.
Old 04-08-19, 01:51 PM
All American

The people from Cincinnati get the real point of this post. What was once the best meet of the season for the city is pretty much gone. It really is sad.
Old 04-08-19, 01:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Nothing. They get to run the 1600 and 800. If it was a major problem, we would find another meet. It's a season-opening triangular meet that's basically a series of time trials and field event trials, so we can better evaluate runners before we have to compete in relays. The host school is in a league where dual meets count toward the league title, so they want to figure out their relays before they have to run for keeps. It ends up being a fast meet, so even if the weather is bad (as it often is in late March), the meet is over before weather becomes a problem. It also saves us from spending a day of practice to run time trials.

Back to your original question. It's no different than how we have to handle the PV. There are plenty of meets in our area that don't contest the PV (1/3 of the schools in my county don't have PV pits). We can either choose to attend and have them not compete, attend and send them to another meet, or find another meet altogether.

Incidentally, I am finding that not all track athletes view competing at the weekend meet as the reward it once was. For some, giving up a portion of the weekend to compete in just 1 event seems like a punishment, and heaven forbid it be a meet with bad weather, and heaven really forbid it be a Friday night meet.
Not having pole vault because the site does not have a pit is a whole lot different than "we are not running your event because it takes too long".
Old 04-08-19, 05:16 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
The people from Cincinnati get the real point of this post. What was once the best meet of the season for the city is pretty much gone. It really is sad.
I agree it was a quality meet. However, I never cared for a meet that took up essentially 4 days of a 5 day week early in the season. With qualifying on Wednesday (old format when I was involved) and finals on Friday, training on Tuesday & Thursday were severely impacted in a critical early part of the season. Sorry, but I'll take another solid week of training with a Friday or Saturday meet over something like the CC anytime. On a team basis, all the CC proved was who was the best of the big teams.

Personally speaking, I much prefer the old All-Star meet SWOTCCCA used to put on in very late May or early June. Monday or Tuesday of State meet week. 9-10, 11, and 12th grades, invitation only. It was much more oriented towards the true all-stars.
Old 04-08-19, 06:07 PM
Varsity

OVTC is on a distinguished road
This is a discussion about what has happened to this meet. There's a reason all the schools that have dropped out and it all comes back to the meet manger. His comment to anyone who questioned what he does is, Is's my way or the highway and more and more schools are selecting the highway. All the GMC schools except Oak Hills dropped out long before the relays were taken out. lane 4 posted some of the reasons they had enough of this meet. Evidently Moeller had enough also as they started their own invitational this year. I asked some GMC coaches why they left and the answer was Gerstner and his dictatorial ways, his unwillingness to do anything other than what he wants.
Old 04-08-19, 08:27 PM
All District

XCFan98 is on a distinguished road
Meet got annoying. Too much nonsense, teams being sent to wrong sites, meet admin not interested in athletes or coaches. Coaches classic did not get input from coaches. Admin. very tough to work with. Went from great meet to an average meet quickly.
Old 04-08-19, 08:58 PM
All World

If this is true about GHG Timing management, and I'm not saying one way or the other as I have no personal knowledge, then it is a sad situation for anyone running a meet, whether by school or a timing company, to not seek & welcome input from coaches on a reasonably regular basis. That is plain bad management practice, period. Stories of corporate bad management are legendary in the business world. Much better to listen to people than to spout your own ideas. Best managers listen to others. Be a servant first, then you will be elevated in the eyes of many without the need to toot your own horn.
Old 04-09-19, 12:39 AM
Lancers lead the way!

La Salle has been using ghgtiming for all their meets every year, and there has never been a problem. I think this is nothing more than a personality conflict between Mark and some coaches, kind of childish IMHO.
Old 04-09-19, 09:47 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
La Salle has been using ghgtiming for all their meets every year, and there has never been a problem.

The difference is at Lasalle he's just doing the timing, whereas at Coaches Classic he's running the meet.
Old 04-09-19, 10:29 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane4 View Post
The difference is at Lasalle he's just doing the timing, whereas at Coaches Classic he's running the meet.
The future of the meet is in his hands, then. A continued exodus of teams for other venues & timing companies will speak volumes.
Old 04-09-19, 11:41 AM
Lancers lead the way!

I remember this meet when it was at Fairfield. I don't believe Mark was meet manager in the early years. FF was using semi-automation timing back then where the clock started the timing but each lane was given a button to stop the timing in that lane.
Old 04-09-19, 11:48 AM
All World

Quote:
I remember this meet when it was at Fairfield. I don't believe Mark was meet manager in the early years. FF was using semi-automation timing back then where the clock started the timing but each lane was given a button to stop the timing in that lane.
I believe you are correct on that one, Lancermania. I do remember conversing about this about a decade or so ago. By 2009, I know it was all FAT as I saw the system myself being utilized. Just remember exactly which year before that when that came to be.
Old 04-09-19, 11:54 AM
Lancers lead the way!

was that timing method called plunger timing, can't seem to remember what it was called.
Old 04-09-19, 07:53 PM
All World

Quote:
was that timing method called plunger timing, can't seem to remember what it was called.
It certainly looked and acted like a plunger, but I don't think it was called that. I'd have to look back through some of my old catalogs to remind myself of what they were called.