Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-18-18, 06:16 PM
All American

Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
Chuck Kyle.
Of course, but HOW is he able to do what he does? Im not at the point where I can accept Elder will always be a 6-4/5/5 team. However, it’s getting harder to hold out the idea they’ll turn a corner.
Old 10-18-18, 06:53 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Because they can pull from the whole city of Cleveland. They're not a land-locked pocket of the city like where Elder is.

Not sure a migration to Elder outside of the westside will ever happen. It's a difference maker.
Old 10-18-18, 07:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
Because they can pull from the whole city of Cleveland. They're not a land-locked pocket of the city like where Elder is.

Not sure a migration to Elder outside of the westside will ever happen. It's a difference maker.
That’s true, but it’s not like they’re pumping out endless D1 players. Elder will probably never pull more than a small % of kids from outside the Westside. Maybe alumni on the east side willl send their kids there, but outside of them it’s not realistic to think they’ll ever be a threat to X or Moe. If they can get kids from the Bacon territory, that would help a lot.

Last edited by Omar; 10-18-18 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-18-18, 07:52 PM
All World

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Of course, but HOW is he able to do what he does? Im not at the point where I can accept Elder will always be a 6-4/5/5 team. However, itís getting harder to hold out the idea theyíll turn a corner.
Ignatius is technically an inner city school, with a land-locked situation as Elder is. There really isn't more talent than Elder, but, when you have an inspirational coach, the kids can achieve much more than they think they're capable of doing. The amt of D1 talent might be 3 or 4 per year, so they will never out-talent many schools. It's the coach, who has led the teams to one half of the wins in the school's history. Elder has a proud history; best of luck finding your way forward.

Old 10-18-18, 07:55 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Agree with Omar. I have always said that I think the Elder coaches get every ounce of talent out of what they have. That's a sign of a very good coach.

My issue is with the culture, their evaluation and selection of talent, and how they go about developing it. That starts with the administration and at the core of the debate.

It starts and ends with talent. You either buy it, develop it, or do a combo of both. I don't necessarily think they're doing any of it well.

I'm being very truthful when I say this...I don't care if they never recruit an athlete, but if they don't, they need a completely new strategy for developing the feeder talent.

I do believe that past the obvious talent that should be on the teams, preference can be given to legacy and connected kids to fill out rosters. But that's a different debate.
So the Administration needs to change somethings to get better Student Athletes into Elder. The Athletic Dept needs a new strategy on how to develop All the Student Athletes in the school. Both areas could also tell the Alumni some more about these strategies. Donít disagree but certainly donít see the Admin or AD totally changing how they operate until they absolutely have to. We all hope that by then itís not to late.
Old 10-18-18, 08:02 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
Ignatius is technically an inner city school, with a land-locked situation as Elder is. There really isn't more talent than Elder, but, when you have an inspirational coach, the kids can achieve much more than they think they're capable of doing. The amt of D1 talent might be 3 or 4 per year, so they will never out-talent many schools. It's the coach, who has led the teams to one half of the wins in the school's history. Elder has a proud history; best of luck finding your way forward.

I’m not much into the rah rah stuff. I’m more interested in the technical aspects of how they develop players.

Last edited by Omar; 10-18-18 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-18-18, 08:10 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
So the Administration needs to change somethings to get better Student Athletes into Elder. The Athletic Dept needs a new strategy on how to develop All the Student Athletes in the school. Both areas could also tell the Alumni some more about these strategies. Don’t disagree but certainly don’t see the Admin or AD totally changing how they operate until they absolutely have to. We all hope that by then it’s not to late.
FWIW, if we’re talking strictly about athletics, I don’t think they’re terribly far off from getting better. If they had Uran at LB and Jarmon at Corner, this is a totally difft team. A few high quality players can make a world of difference.

To reiterate, that’s strictly sports, it’s going to take much more to boost overall enrollment.
Old 10-18-18, 08:31 PM
All American

Quote:
FWIW, if weíre talking strictly about athletics, I donít think theyíre terribly far off from getting better. If they had Uran at LB and Jarmon at Corner, this is a totally difft team. A few high quality players can make a world of difference.

To reiterate, thatís strictly sports, itís going to take much more to boost overall enrollment.
The admissions guy seems to want to change a few things but overall I just donít see Elder changing itís ways. Not for Students or Athletes. Sure hope I am proven wrong sooner than later!
Old 10-18-18, 08:50 PM
All American

Quote:
The admissions guy seems to want to change a few things but overall I just don’t see Elder changing it’s ways. Not for Students or Athletes. Sure hope I am proven wrong sooner than later!
I’d say what he is proposing to do is a fairly big change to their previous strategy. Whether or not it’s succesful remains to be seen, but you can’t fault the effort.

2-3 kids doesn’t mean much in overall enrollment, but it could be huge for athletics. I’m not advocating for or against anything, simply pointing that out.
Old 10-18-18, 09:30 PM
All American

Quote:
Iíd say what he is proposing to do is a fairly big change to their previous strategy. Whether or not itís succesful remains to be seen, but you canít fault the effort.

2-3 kids doesnít mean much in overall enrollment, but it could be huge for athletics. Iím not advocating for or against anything, simply pointing that out.
It is a big change in strategy. I love the guys ideas and efforts! I hope Everyone else at Elder is on board to make it happen.
Old 10-19-18, 09:00 AM
All American

Quote:
It is a big change in strategy. I love the guys ideas and efforts! I hope Everyone else at Elder is on board to make it happen.
What are some things he is proposing?
Old 10-19-18, 12:11 PM
All American

Quote:
What are some things he is proposing?
Per his Halftime interview during X game?? He wants to hit the area/neighborhood around the school pretty hard. Shadow Days will not be conducted in traditional manner. Couple of other things I donít really remember off top of my head. He seemed very energetic and sincere. How many folks make up his staff/ department? Obviously no single guy or girl can do it all by themselves.
Old 10-19-18, 12:28 PM
All American

IMO, they have to open the doors of the new Fitness Center to the neighborhood. Obviously, it would have to be under supervision with some rules, but it's the perfect opportunity to get the neighborhood involved. I'm not saying people can walk in and out as they please, but invite some kids in to train with the teams. That would be a great gesture to the community.

Invite neighborhood groups to have meetings there, hold coaching clinics there, etc, etc. Yes, this is a great resource for Elder students, but start making the campus a neighborhood meeting place instead of a lock-downed campus of gates and no access. You can be secure while still being inviting.

Yes, you need security, but it furthers the perception of "they don't want us there."
Old 10-19-18, 12:38 PM
All American

Quote:
IMO, they have to open the doors of the new Fitness Center to the neighborhood. Obviously, it would have to be under supervision with some rules, but it's the perfect opportunity to get the neighborhood involved. I'm not saying people can walk in and out as they please, but invite some kids in to train with the teams. That would be a great gesture to the community.

Invite neighborhood groups to have meetings there, hold coaching clinics there, etc, etc. Yes, this is a great resource for Elder students, but start making the campus a neighborhood meeting place instead of a lock-downed campus of gates and no access. You can be secure while still being inviting.

Yes, you need security, but it furthers the perception of "they don't want us there."
Admissions guy may have something like this in mind. Great idea no doubt. Sure somebody above him would have to approve it though. Possibly open the doors for community meetings and stuff like that now. Start building relationships while Fitness Center is being built.