Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-13-18, 07:45 PM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
OSU men win Big 10 Outdoor track and field

https://www.thelantern.com/2018/05/t...-championship/
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-18, 08:17 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Congrats to the Buckeye men!
Old 05-15-18, 08:32 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Morons
Old 05-15-18, 08:49 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
Ho-rah.

3 guys in 1500 (Landis, Bete, Blank) , 1 made the final (Landis)

1 guy in 5000 (Landis) with a DNF

1 guy in 10000 (Wood)

0 guys in Steeple

===================

The Ohio State men's program has completely bailed on fielding competitive distance runners. It might happen now-and-then, but it's not by design.

It works for them, but it's disappointing nonetheless.
Old 05-15-18, 09:07 PM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
Ho-rah.

3 guys in 1500 (Landis, Bete, Blank) , 1 made the final (Landis)

1 guy in 5000 (Landis) with a DNF

1 guy in 10000 (Wood)

0 guys in Steeple

===================

The Ohio State men's program has completely bailed on fielding competitive distance runners. It might happen now-and-then, but it's not by design.

It works for them, but it's disappointing nonetheless.
OSU, for as long as I've seen their results since the early 80's, has teams reflecting their coaches' particular strengths. They are also where an athlete goes to stay the same. OSU has recruited blue-chip talent for years, used them to score some points in the Big10, but it has almost never truly developed talent from ok to great. Many a career has DIED at OSU. They are also-rans on the national level when it comes to competing on the NCAA Championship stage. Sure, they have occasional winners, but never a winning program.

If you're talented, stay away from OSU!
Old 05-26-18, 12:37 PM
Freshman

EasyW is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
OSU, for as long as I've seen their results since the early 80's, has teams reflecting their coaches' particular strengths. They are also where an athlete goes to stay the same. OSU has recruited blue-chip talent for years, used them to score some points in the Big10, but it has almost never truly developed talent from ok to great. Many a career has DIED at OSU. They are also-rans on the national level when it comes to competing on the NCAA Championship stage. Sure, they have occasional winners, but never a winning program.

If you're talented, stay away from OSU!
Although I have no connection to OSU, as my son looked into them for awhile but decided to go the small school route, I did some research and here's what I've found:

Take a peak at the roster:

Landis- Freshman Outdoor Track, scored Indoor BIG10s, HS- wasn't good until senior year
Bete- Walk-on in fall, Freshman outdoor track, scored Indoor BIG10s, HS- mediocre
Wood- Freshman outdoor track, scored in 10k, no indoor track, HS- better golfer than runner

Can't quite say failed in fielding competitive distance runners when all are freshman eligibility-wise and all have scored points on one of the biggest stages in college track as FRESHMAN.

3 coaches in two years (Allen, Robinson, Vergote) also isn't helping consistency, at least for the upperclassmen. Yes there is no beating around the bush, OSU does not put money into the distance side as long as Karen is in charge, especially since they keep winning. But the previous three mentioned I've been told are all walk-ons aka came for FREE and that's just how OSU has always been (hence why they lose top state talent to schools like Indiana, NC State, and Iowa State). Blue-collar runners to say the least. Lack of recruiting the past few years has hurt significantly, besides Lomong, but I do think there is a light at the end of the tunnel under Vergote's coaching distance if Khadevis sticks to mid-distance. Vergote knows her stuff, just coached a mediocre High School runner in Christine Frederick to a Nationals appearance in XC and just punched a ticket to Nationals for the 10000m, if that coaching can be chanelled into the men's team....

Very young team, hopefully big classes coming in, and consistent coaching may result in some more points on the distance side. It's easy to shoot down a struggling program, but I do think there is some light sneaking through the cracks.
Old 05-26-18, 06:04 PM
All District

Purple66 is on a distinguished road
Congrats
Old 05-27-18, 08:45 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
As someone who has had a couple womenís athletes develop well at OSU recently (including a trip to the junior world championships in the hammer throw and USA Nationals in the 800, with all three of our recent athletes going there being All Americans) I do not believe it is a place where talent goes to die. They donít focus on distance, so the successes there are more intermittent. When Robert Gary was there Ohio HS coaches constantly complained that all they ever developed were steeplechasers and 1500 runners. The recent distance coaching changes have no doubt made recruiting really though.

I have dabbled at trying to find out which colleges in Ohio do the best job at developing runners. Just with straight statistics. Doesnít really work because itís hard to know how factor in injuries and kids who just quit. But OSU isnít noticeably worse than the other D1 schools in Ohio overall. Actually for developing runners, on the average the top schools are all D3.