Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-18, 01:06 PM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
#27 Major Tom - DB - Space Oddity

~ ~ ~

Did you ever see him in the movie The Hunger?

:>---

SF

And, before there was Madonna or Gaga, there was Bowie (the original chameleon):

Androgynous look. Married to Angie, then Iman. Told Rolling Stone: "I think I was always a closet heterosexual."
Old 08-17-18, 01:46 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Bowe was cool. I liked the "all the young dudes" look also.

I have watched a couple of his videos from his last album; scary!
Old 08-17-18, 04:59 PM
All Region

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
15. "Henry the 8th" -- Hermin's Hermits

16. "Jimmy Mack..." -- Martha & the Vandellas

24. "Levon" -- Elton John

31. "No More Mr. Nice Guy" -- Alice Cooper
Old 08-17-18, 05:24 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
4. "Happy Jack"
5. "Cotton Eye Joe"
19. "The Balled of John Henry"
Old 08-17-18, 05:59 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Here are a few more of late entries:

21. One of our favorites - I want a cave man. I want a brave man.
"Johnny Get Angry", Joanie Sommers

26. Who's that I see walking in these woods?
"Little Red Riding Hood", Sam the Sham

32. Why don't you come to your senses. You've been out riding fences
for so long now.
"Desperado", The Eagles

34 Bonus two: Wrapped around each other. Trying so hard to stay warm. That first cold winter together. Lying in each other's arms. Watching those old movies. Honey, I was your hero. You were my leading lady. We Had it all. Just like Boogie and Bacall staring in our own late, late show.
"Key Largo", Bertie Higgins

ROCK ON!
Old 08-17-18, 06:52 PM
All American

Boy, I run out to Bob Evans for my weekly supper of eggs, toast and bacon and the heavy weights saunter up to the bar!

coldshoulder - 15 - 'erman's Hermits. It's not No Milk Today, but this and many other pleasant tunes were cranked out (including Milk) by these guys. I'm Henry The Eighth I Am. Sort of has that English music hall vibe, sing along. They had several like this. (I'm Leaning On The Lamp Post, Mrs. Brown, etc.) Boy, did the girlies swoon for Pete and especially Mrs. Brown.

16. Sounds like the summer with Martha and The Vandellas and Jimmy Mack. Got a dancin' in the street vibe.

24. Levon by Sir Elton John.. I was always partial to Your Song. And you can tell everybody that this is your song. It may be quite simple but now that it's done. I hope you don't mind... .

31. Alice was a great rock and roll performer. They ask me why the singer's name was Alice. If you all remember, this was quite upsetting to most of America. The songs are great. cs is correct with No More Mr. Nice Guy.

Step in to the streets at sundown, step into your last good bye. You're a target just by living. Twenty dollars will make you die.

Love this music but remember it is called SHOW business!

4. Mr. Slippery - I had friends who adored The Who. I was a lesser fan although Can't Explain, Pinball Wizard, and Pete Townsend's Let My Love Open The Door (Is that right?).

5. This is a slam down. The version I saw was done by Red Nex. Back Betty

19. The ballad of John Henry. Seems like I saw some comedy (probably by The S.Brothers) done with this song. I believe Captain Kangaroo use to do one of his (looking over the shoulder) stories on the legendary John Henry. But I'm not sure he died in the Treasure House version.

OWK - 21. Cute Joanie and the kazoos. Such a classic love song of that era and it moves sprightly along. And yes, this one was for you.

26. You know in the great vein of Ahab and Snoopy, Sam the Sham seems to fit right in with his Little Red Riding Hood. The Sham looked like he was 50. Today this would be very creepy.

32. I was going for Ronstadt but the Eagles did write and sing it, I believe.

34. Sure, probably isn't good to fall in love to songs like this but maybe it works both ways... . Key Largo. We had it all... .

What's left after this great run of somewhat odd ball tunes. 2, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 1314, 17, 18, 23, 30 and 33.

Let's go four more correct responses starting at midnight and continuing into Sat. All day, perhaps.

Last edited by Bevo; 08-17-18 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-18-18, 01:03 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
7. "Don't Mess With Bill" -- The Marvellettes

10. "Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues" -- Danny O'Keefe

12. "What'd I Say?" -- Ray Charles

13. "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" -- Paul and Linda McCartney

Now please allow me to finish my 2am trip "down the hall".
Old 08-18-18, 01:51 AM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
No 14 nor 23 listed, but there is a 28!

11. Hats Off To Larry Del Shannon
12. Hit The Road Jack Ray Charles
28. Michael The Highwaymen
30. Friend of the Devil Grateful Dead
Old 08-18-18, 10:13 AM
All American

dorciepatrick - 7. - She sounds like she means it! Don't Mess With Bill by the marvelous Marvellettes

10. Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues - we spent a few sessions talking about this melancholy, wistful song a few years ago. Danny O'keefe had a great delivery and sound for this song. Still gives me the "feels".

13. Paul -Uncle Albert - sort of exploring that Wings' sound; you know, his other band.

FootballFan1795 - Like JB said, it's all designed to keep you all on your toes! Rememer my grade card analogy recently? This falls under the old "needs to check his work more carefully - or at all!"

11. What a good sound - But what a strange title. Hats Off To Larry. Del Shannon one of the in between rockers, (Duane Eddy, Freddy Cannon, etc.) The high pitch in his songs made them sound like Irish anthems.

12. Yes, dorciepatrick picked Ray's superb song "What'd I Say" but we were looking for names. So, Footballfan1795 is correct on 12. with Hit The Road, Jack.

28. Soooooo, early 60's. Michael Row Your Boat Ashore. Wasn't this from ohiopup's list a No. 1 song in 61?

30. I like every version of Friend of The Devil. Dylan does one where fans are all over the stage. My favorite remains Lyle Lovett's live version at Red Rocks.

These songs were a bit more accessible this time. All we have left are: 2, 8, 9, 17, 18, and 33.

33 was a hit and it's for everyone but it is tough. Female singer - one name. One hit wonder. Barely noticed when released in '77, soared to No. 3 in '82.
Old 08-18-18, 10:37 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
I see FootballFan1795 (re: his Ray Charles answer vs. mine) is a little bit sharper than yours truly during "trip down the hall" time.

Not to be deterred, I will just study harder for my next "TDTH".
Old 08-18-18, 11:05 AM
All American

Here are a few more hints to go along with the hints above on 33.

2. Mickael Jackson sang the theme song for this movie which I believe featured Ernest Borgnine. (I believe E.B. and Martha Ray were married for nine days once!)

3. There is a royal title in the title and the singer wore a cape

9. Mama Mia! A man's spanish name.

17. This nine plus minute Dylan song creates an Italian mood in N.Y. city guy was a mobster. I believe it is on Dylan's Desire album.

18. Denzel Washington starred in the movie about this fighter's life.

See above for clues to 33.
Old 08-18-18, 11:44 AM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Going from the above hints:

2. Michael Jackson sang the theme song for this movie which I believe featured Ernest Borgnine.
"Ben"

17. This nine plus minute Dylan song creates an Italian mood in N.Y. city guy was a mobster. I believe it is on Dylan's Desire album.
"Joey"

18. Denzel Washington starred in the movie about this fighter's life.
"Hurricane", Bob Dylan

ROCK ON!
Old 08-18-18, 12:07 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Bevo,

The clue you have for #3 looks like the answer for # 8 ???

8. "The Duke Of Earl "- Gene Chandler

9. "Fernando" - ABBA

JB
Old 08-18-18, 12:52 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Betty Paige; I mean Patti Paige.

Opps I remember the E.W. ads very well. The person I really miss is Bob Ross and his "happy, little trees."

Bevo,

Patti Page is the correct answer.

Why am I not amazed that you tossed out the name of Bettie Paige as your "Freudian slip" lol ? There cannot be too many cats on here familiar with Bettie Page other than you ! Betting she was one of your "Bevo Babes" you never disclosed.

For the uninitiated Bettie Page was a very early Playboy centerfold in the mid 50's and legendary for her sexy outfits and a cult pin-up queen , lots of black leather and her black hair style was usually cut with her black bangs prominent. Think Uma Thurman as Mia Wallace in "Pulp Fiction" in the twist contest scene at Jack Rabbit Slim's with John Travolta and the classic "You Never Can Tell" by Chuck Berry playing and you will get the image of Bettie Page's bangs, the inspiration for Uma's image in the film.

By the way, babysitter Patti Page changed her to "Page" from The Page Milk Company back in Oklahoma.

JB
Old 08-18-18, 01:16 PM
All American

OWK - 2. Michael Jackson did sing to Ben, the dirty rat in Ben.

17. Good job on this Dylan opus of Crazy Joey Gallo. Opened up his eyes to the sound of an accordion.

18. Hurricane is the song about Reuben Hurricane Carter (middle weight?). The movie is very good, as is the book. (16th. Round?)

JB - I was told there would be no "counting" on this! I will have to go back a page to see if what you say about 3 and 8 makes any sense to me. (Probably not.)

8. Whatever number it is, it is The Duke of Earl by Gene Chandler. Many a near dark evenings in bone-chilling cold, and frisky snow (Bob Ross would like that word here ) was spent passing my Daily Chief Union paper route with my Cousin Randy and we sang this song; sometimes very loudly, anthem like.

9. Thank you for getting ABBA off the board.

JB - I thought you would go very deep and give the answer to 33. One name singer, female, one timer, rose to no. 3. The lyrics are very sappy and sugary - not that I don't hear some "truth" in them.

Patti Page was just a shot from the other end of the court. She, Dinah, Rosemary Clooney, Jo Stafford (just know the name) Jaye P. Morgan, (liked her a lot when she flashed her boobs on The Gong Show.) etc.

Being called a "cat" by anyone is high praise as birthday 67 looms but coming from you, perhaps the ultimate cultural cool cat, is an honor!

Yes, I subscribed to Playboy until last year. I had decades of the magazine. I use to joke as I made my way through wives and life that the only thing that survived the many moves we all make, were those freakin' heavy boxes of Playboys. I DID read the articles, and the reviews of movies and books, etc. A little over a year ago the magazine just went too millennial for me. Actually, several of my favorite magazines seem to be heading in the same direction. When the bulk of the ads are for pants that cost $600, and shoes that cost $800, it's time for this old cat to bow out.

I did want to share with you that I just received four Rick Bragg books and will be enjoying them in the coming months. Just finished Comey's book and now I am on the RFK book by Chris Mathews. I have read several on him as I find him to be a person who evolved over his short life and in the end, "got it".

Number 33, my friend.

Last edited by Bevo; 08-18-18 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-18-18, 02:09 PM
All American

Bevo,

I honestly thought 33 had already been answered. I looked at the clues remaining on post 6371 and didn't notice reference to #33 at the bottom and the previous post about it. The song you are looking for is:

33 " I've Never Been To Me" by Charlene

She can thank DJ, Scott Shannon out of a Tampa radio station for reintroducing that song from the 70's. The song was re-done with that added spoken part highlighting her feminist side based on the times.

I believe she released a duet with Stevie Wonder shortly after called " Used To Be" and
it died on the vine never reaching the top 40.

JB
Old 08-18-18, 06:37 PM
All American

I am not worthy... 33. is Charlene with I've Never Been To Me.

Impressive.

Last edited by Bevo; 08-18-18 at 08:38 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: