Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-11-17, 09:04 AM
All District

FairmontAlum is on a distinguished road
#7 Huber Heights Wayne (5-2) at #45 Kettering Fairmont (6-1)

You know you (Fairmont) haven't arrived when there isn't a single thread about this match-up between GWOC teams with a combined 3 losses in week 8.

Yappi prognosticators have Wayne as a 9-14.5 favorite. Drew Pasteur has the Warriors as an 11pt favorite. He also has this listed as the 12th biggest game in the state of Ohio this week! The rankings (#7/#45) in the Title are also Drew's.

Wayne has won 13 of the last 15 years, including 115-6 the last 3 years

It looks like Wayne is getting healthy at the right time. Firebirds have obviously made huge improvements in Dave Millers 2nd year, hoping to see a great game this Friday!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-17, 11:57 AM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
Fairmont in a shocker! Final: Fairmont 17 Wayne 14
Old 10-11-17, 02:09 PM
All Region

sballvballcheer is on a distinguished road
Wayne 35 Fairmont 17
Old 10-11-17, 02:20 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Wayne made some adjustments and changes on the O-line for the Beavercreek game and what a difference it made. The Wayne offense averaged just over 4 plays per series to score touchdowns.

Fairmont is similar to Beavercreek but the Firebirds defense is a bit tougher in my opinion. This is a huge game for both teams and Wayne cannot afford to look ahead to the Springfield game. My system has Wayne a 9 point favorite....

Fairmont is the only team I know that found a way to win a game by not scoring a touchdown or even getting a first down in the game when they defeated Wayne at Kettering many many many moons ago... that was one strange night, strange sky....
Old 10-11-17, 02:54 PM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKSONE View Post
Fairmont in a shocker! Final: Fairmont 17 Wayne 14
Come on man!
Old 10-11-17, 02:56 PM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
Wayne made some adjustments and changes on the O-line for the Beavercreek game and what a difference it made. The Wayne offense averaged just over 4 plays per series to score touchdowns.

Fairmont is similar to Beavercreek but the Firebirds defense is a bit tougher in my opinion. This is a huge game for both teams and Wayne cannot afford to look ahead to the Springfield game. My system has Wayne a 9 point favorite....

Fairmont is the only team I know that found a way to win a game by not scoring a touchdown or even getting a first down in the game when they defeated Wayne at Kettering many many many moons ago... that was one strange night, strange sky....
Fairmont gave up the same number of points to Beavercreek that Wayne gave up yet scored less. Did Fairmont just have a bad night against Beavercreek? I see the same sort of game this Friday night that we saw last Friday night.
Old 10-11-17, 02:59 PM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Wayne is playing basically the same offense this week that they saw last week. Who runs it better? I think that bodes well for Wayne's defense. Fairmont has to throw the ball more than Beavercreek did to have any chance.
Old 10-11-17, 03:01 PM
All District

slowyourroll is on a distinguished road
Fairmont has to control the passing game of Wayne. If they can keep it in check I feel confident Fairmont can slow the game down and score. Beaver creek seemed to be a matchup nightmare for Fairmont. I’m looking for a better offensive night out of the birds. They don’t need to score a lot they just need to keep the ball moving on those 7 to 9 minute drives they have done in past weeks.
Old 10-11-17, 06:44 PM
All District

Firebuck
Send a message via Yahoo to Firebuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior78 View Post
Fairmont gave up the same number of points to Beavercreek that Wayne gave up yet scored less. Did Fairmont just have a bad night against Beavercreek? I see the same sort of game this Friday night that we saw last Friday night.
Beavercreek scored their first touchdown, did an onside kick which they recovered, and then they scored their second touchdown. By that time, they were up 14-3 all in the second quarter and that was the way it ended. They were essentially able to keep our offense off the field, build a 11-point lead, and then defended us very well. Fairmont got close to scoring later and had some missed opportunities. If not for the way it played out, it could have been a much different game but we'll never know. I'm hoping for a good competitive game this weekend.
Old 10-11-17, 07:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebuck View Post
Beavercreek scored their first touchdown, did an onside kick which they recovered, and then they scored their second touchdown. By that time, they were up 14-3 all in the second quarter and that was the way it ended. They were essentially able to keep our offense off the field, build a 11-point lead, and then defended us very well. Fairmont got close to scoring later and had some missed opportunities. If not for the way it played out, it could have been a much different game but we'll never know. I'm hoping for a good competitive game this weekend.
Wayne only had the ball for 12 minutes of the game. Beavercreek also recovered an on side kick as well. Wayne still put 42 points on the board on the 6 drives they had with starters in.

If Fairmont struggled with Beavercreek's defense I am not sure how they would be able to do against Wayne's defense. Team's that give Wayne trouble are balanced. A bruiser back, a QB that can throw and run the ball and receivers who can get open and bring it in. Wayne has played many triple option/wing T teams and really have not had any trouble with them.

Turnovers have also been a huge factor. In Wayne's last 3 losses they have turned the ball over 16 times and forced 0. Wayne will have to hold on to the ball, bend not break on defense and be able to run the ball. If Fairmont can win the turnover battle and stuff the run then this will be a battle.
Old 10-11-17, 07:52 PM
All District

Quote:
Wayne only had the ball for 12 minutes of the game. Beavercreek also recovered an on side kick as well. Wayne still put 42 points on the board on the 6 drives they had with starters in.

If Fairmont struggled with Beavercreek's defense I am not sure how they would be able to do against Wayne's defense. Team's that give Wayne trouble are balanced. A bruiser back, a QB that can throw and run the ball and receivers who can get open and bring it in. Wayne has played many triple option/wing T teams and really have not had any trouble with them.

Turnovers have also been a huge factor. In Wayne's last 3 losses they have turned the ball over 16 times and forced 0. Wayne will have to hold on to the ball, bend not break on defense and be able to run the ball. If Fairmont can win the turnover battle and stuff the run then this will be a battle.
This essentially a playoff have for Fairmont. If they win they are likely in. Wayne and Creek defensively are similar statistically, although Wayne has played much better competition. Obviously the Firebirds will have their hands full.
Old 10-11-17, 07:55 PM
All District

Firebuck
Send a message via Yahoo to Firebuck
Quote:

Oh, I know that it will be very tough this Friday for Fairmont, I was just pointing out that Beavercreek didn't beat Fairmont because they shut down Fairmont's offense or anything. Fairmont averaged 5.4 yards per play against Beavercreek. Fairmont put together some drives that would have changed the game if they had been able to score. The rest of the season, Fairmont has been able to finish those drives. It just didn't work out for them against Beavercreek. Also, Fairmont doesn't pass much, true, but Miller has shown himself to be a pretty good quarterback both with his feet and his arm and for the most part, Fairmont's receivers have been pretty good. Miller has completed just over half of his passes (10 of 18) for an average of 24.2 yards. They have also only turned the ball over 6 times to their opponent's 12.

Again, please don't misunderstand me, I know it will be a very tough game for us. You guys are far better than what we have faced in my opinion so far this season. If we can keep it close through four quarters, it could be a pretty good game. That's what I'm hoping for.
Old 10-11-17, 10:43 PM
All American

Hawk1959 is on a distinguished road
I will not call a winner here. never do.

Wayne will need to score early and keep the pressure on like they did to Beavercreek.

If Wayne can play like they did at Beavercreek, Low penalties, no turn overs, quick strikes and a tight defense that can adjust, it will be a long night for Fairmont.

If Fairmont can strike a somewhat balanced Offense and their O-Line can create holes and wear down the Wayne Defense with long drives, Wayne will have to work to get the W.

But as I always say... We are fans... The Players and Coaches are what will decide the game. We will be cheering on the teams we support.

WSWO-LP will carry the game, as always, on FM 97.3 and DaytonOldies.org.

Hawk
Old 10-12-17, 07:49 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebuck View Post
Oh, I know that it will be very tough this Friday for Fairmont, I was just pointing out that Beavercreek didn't beat Fairmont because they shut down Fairmont's offense or anything. Fairmont averaged 5.4 yards per play against Beavercreek. Fairmont put together some drives that would have changed the game if they had been able to score. The rest of the season, Fairmont has been able to finish those drives. It just didn't work out for them against Beavercreek. Also, Fairmont doesn't pass much, true, but Miller has shown himself to be a pretty good quarterback both with his feet and his arm and for the most part, Fairmont's receivers have been pretty good. Miller has completed just over half of his passes (10 of 18) for an average of 24.2 yards. They have also only turned the ball over 6 times to their opponent's 12.

Again, please don't misunderstand me, I know it will be a very tough game for us. You guys are far better than what we have faced in my opinion so far this season. If we can keep it close through four quarters, it could be a pretty good game. That's what I'm hoping for.
They scored 7 points. Where was the offense? I'd say they shut down the offense.
Old 10-12-17, 09:41 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
They scored 7 points. Where was the offense? I'd say they shut down the offense.
Correction, they scored 3 points vs Beavercreek. Fairmont ran less than 40 plays in that game, half of those in the 4th quarter when they were down by 11 & had to throw the ball. Beavercreek controlled the clock & recovered 2 on-side kicks in a row which kept the ball out of Fairmont's offense for the entire 2nd & 3rd quarter. These are not excuses but an explanation of how things unraveled. By far the Firebirds worse game and I am sure they have learned from it.
Old 10-12-17, 10:08 AM
All American

Thanks for the correction.
Did Fairmont ever have the ball on offense?
Last week Wayne played Beavercreek. Beavercreek dominated time of possession in fact it's my understanding that Wayne had the ball a total of 12 minutes the entire game! They put up 42 points.
Isn't it correct that Fairmont has had games they've scored over 40 and 30 points this season? Oh I get,they didn't really lose just ran out of time the points were coming,,,,,,,
Old 10-12-17, 10:17 AM
All District

Quote:
Thanks for the correction.
Did Fairmont ever have the ball on offense?
Last week Wayne played Beavercreek. Beavercreek dominated time of possession in fact it's my understanding that Wayne had the ball a total of 12 minutes the entire game! They put up 42 points.
Isn't it correct that Fairmont has had games they've scored over 40 and 30 points this season? Oh I get,they didn't really lose just ran out of time the points were coming,,,,,,,
Is someone disagreeing that Wayne's offense was much better vs Beavercreek's defense than was Fairmont? I think the 39 point differential makes that very obvious. Yes they lost, which they deserved to with how poorly they played offensively.

Wayne is a big play offense, they got the big plays & put Creek in a hole. They had zero turnovers & only 12 yards in penalties. To say their game game was executed well very Creek would be an understatement.
Old 10-12-17, 11:06 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontAlum View Post
Is someone disagreeing that Wayne's offense was much better vs Beavercreek's defense than was Fairmont? I think the 39 point differential makes that very obvious. Yes they lost, which they deserved to with how poorly they played offensively.

Wayne is a big play offense, they got the big plays & put Creek in a hole. They had zero turnovers & only 12 yards in penalties. To say their game game was executed well very Creek would be an understatement.
Understand the point,Fairmont had a chance to score on offense when they had the ball didn't they? You beat Hamilton 22-6,Milford 42-6,40 on Springboro,28 on The Burg',62-0 on Lol West Carrollton. You're currently 4th in the region(higher than Wayne at the moment) and definitely have an explosive offense based on those scores. I don't care how long BC had the ball, did they kick it off after they scored? You had a chance to put up some points. I'm sure you had more than two possessions. Sounds like your offense and special teams got shutdown. Even Lebanon put up 35 points on Beavercreek.
Are they running a different offense than they ran against the teams they put up all those points against?
Old 10-12-17, 11:16 AM
All District

Quote:
Understand the point,Fairmont had a chance to score on offense when they had the ball didn't they? You beat Hamilton 22-6,Milford 42-6,40 on Springboro,28 on The Burg',62-0 on Lol West Carrollton. You're currently 4th in the region(higher than Wayne at the moment) and definitely have an explosive offense based on those scores. I don't care how long BC had the ball, did they kick it off after they scored? You had a chance to put up some points. I'm sure you had more than two possessions. Sounds like your offense and special teams got shutdown. Even Lebanon put up 35 points on Beavercreek.
Are they running a different offense than they ran against the teams they put up all those points against?
Beavercreek's defense kept the Firebirds out of the endzone, the score tells you that as a fact. Again, I am not sure what your point is? I would define Fairmont's offense as effective, not explosive. Hopefully more effective versus HH Wayne than Creek.
Old 10-12-17, 11:46 AM
All American

Quote:
Beavercreek's defense kept the Firebirds out of the endzone, the score tells you that as a fact. Again, I am not sure what your point is? I would define Fairmont's offense as effective, not explosive. Hopefully more effective versus HH Wayne than Creek.
The point is the offense got shutdown. Read the previous posts a Fairmont fan Firebuck I believe mentioned that the offense did not get shutdown. My reply was a reponse to his post. So initially I wasn't even talking to you and when you score over 30 points per game I'd say that's more than effective many would say that's explosive!
Old 10-12-17, 02:36 PM
All World

FHSBirds99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fairmont had a bad night offensively and Beavercreek played incredible. I'd say the teams would split 10 games evenly. The big difference is that Beavercreek had mostly seniors and Fairmont is starting sophomores and juniors in a lot of spots.
Old 10-12-17, 05:22 PM
GO ELKS!

I'm not sure the Beavercreek comparison is relevant; here's why! Many teams that face Wayne are beaten between the ears long before the game starts. That my friend is coaching. Coach Miller, who never lost to Wayne as a 2 year starting QB for Centerville, understands the mental toughness component of the game. The reason for Fairmont's success isn't because they suddenly found good players; they've had them all along, it's the mental toughness that Coach Miller has brought to the program. Mentally, this year's Fairmont team won't be intimidated and will be ready for the game.
Old 10-12-17, 05:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm not sure the Beavercreek comparison is relevant; here's why! Many teams that face Wayne are beaten between the ears long before the game starts. That my friend is coaching. Coach Miller, who never lost to Wayne as a 2 year starting QB for Centerville, understands the mental toughness component of the game. The reason for Fairmont's success isn't because they suddenly found good players; they've had them all along, it's the mental toughness that Coach Miller has brought to the program. Mentally, this year's Fairmont team won't be intimidated and will be ready for the game.
What was Miller's record against Beavercreek when he was QB?
Old 10-12-17, 05:51 PM
GO ELKS!

Quote:
What was Miller's record against Beavercreek when he was QB?
4-0! He graduated the year before they lost for the first time in the programs history. Nice try though! You get an A for effort!
Old 10-12-17, 10:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
4-0! He graduated the year before they lost for the first time in the programs history. Nice try though! You get an A for effort!
The point was that he was undefeated against Beavercreek which I knew but yet Fairmont still lost to Beavercreek which makes the Miller 2-0 vs Wayne irrelevant. Well, in my mind it does....
Old 10-13-17, 07:29 AM
GO ELKS!

Quote:
The point was that he was undefeated against Beavercreek which I knew but yet Fairmont still lost to Beavercreek which makes the Miller 2-0 vs Wayne irrelevant. Well, in my mind it does....
No worries! I think Beavercreek just flat out beat Fairmont with a better game plan. Beavercreek was mentally beaten before stepping on the field with Wayne, hence the blowout. Wayne may still beat Fairmont, however I don't think it will blowout and Fairmont at least mentally will be better prepared for the Wayne game for the first time in decades which will make for a better consistent game through all 4 quarters.
Old 10-13-17, 08:39 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1689 View Post
Least all be honest Wayne should win this game by at least 14 plus...Wayne just smashed a Beavercreek team that's basically a better carbon copy of Fairmont. Fairmont is a good team just not in the same class as Wayne. I'll go Wayne 49 Fairmont 14
A bad carbon copy of Beavercreek huh? Let's hope all of HH share that opinion.

TGIF
Old 10-13-17, 08:47 AM
All Ohio

mexhot2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mexhot2 Send a message via Yahoo to mexhot2
I wish I wasn't going to miss this game. I'd be there except that it's been a long time since I've seen my Houston Astros in the playoffs.

I think Wayne will win but not by as much as some expect. Look forward to reading about it in these comments tonight.

GO WAYNE!!!
Old 10-13-17, 11:58 AM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Quote:
A bad carbon copy of Beavercreek huh? Let's hope all of HH share that opinion.

TGIF
What the Huber fans think and what Coach Minton and the other coaches think (and teach) is a lot different. I am confident that the coaches are preparing the Wayne players for a tough match up tonight. I do like Wayne's chances here considering they just played a similar offense last week. Here's to a great, injury-free game tonight! Let's go Wayne! Let's go Wayne! Defense! Defense!
Old 10-13-17, 03:29 PM
All American

Hawk1959 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexhot2 View Post
I wish I wasn't going to miss this game. I'd be there except that it's been a long time since I've seen my Houston Astros in the playoffs.

I think Wayne will win but not by as much as some expect. Look forward to reading about it in these comments tonight.

GO WAYNE!!!
YOu can always listen to it on WSWO-97.3/Daytonoldies.org.... I am just saying... lol