Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-11-17, 07:36 AM
All American

FootballQueen
Week 8: Austintown Fitch (4-3) vs. Erie McDowell (4-3)

Last "home" game for the seniors. Make it a memorable one. Finish the season strong Falcons. Not sure what to make of this game myself. Thoughts on this one gentlemen?

GO Falcons!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-17, 11:19 PM
All Ohio

falcons53 is on a distinguished road
Big game. Falcons haven't beaten a team with a winning record yet. Win out and Fitch has a chance at playoffs.
Old 10-11-17, 11:37 PM
All American

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Any idea what kind of opponent McDowell will be?
Record? Strength of schedule?
Old 10-12-17, 01:09 AM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
McDowell has played a pretty tough schedule fairly well, it seems. I honestly think they're a 7-10 point favorite based off of schedule strength/win quality but I know Fitch always plays them tough and I hope the Falcons pull this one out.
Old 10-12-17, 06:41 AM
All American

FootballQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcons53 View Post
Big game. Falcons haven't beaten a team with a winning record yet. Win out and Fitch has a chance at playoffs.
Actually they have. Lakeside was 4-2 when the Falcons beat them last week 35-0. Not exactly a big time opponent, but still a win.
Old 10-12-17, 06:46 AM
All American

FootballQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
McDowell has played a pretty tough schedule fairly well, it seems. I honestly think they're a 7-10 point favorite based off of schedule strength/win quality but I know Fitch always plays them tough and I hope the Falcons pull this one out.
I'm not overly impressed by their schedule. True they have played some big boys like St. Ed and Prep. But they also played teams with very dismal records as of date. Not sure if the one Canadian team they played is a heavy hitter or not by Canadian standards. Actually never heard of them before. But McDowell actually lost to them. First time I ever seen a American team loose to a Canadian team. Then throw in Holidaysburg, very small Pa. community who they only beat by 2 points. We'll see tomorrow night.
Old 10-12-17, 10:12 AM
All Ohio

AtownFalcon201
Some interesting stats in this series:
-Home team is 3-0 in this series, 2-0 for McDowell in Erie and 1-0 for Fitch in Austintown
-McDowell has had to fend off Fitch in their wins IIRC.
----Missed PAT by Fitch in 2014 for a 28-27 win after being down by ~3 TDs
----28-21 OT win by McDowell in 2016
-Fitch's 1st home game was a 29-0 win in 2015

Since this is home, I'd expect Fitch to win. The confidence of a win would go a long ways vs. Boardman and Mooney too. Even though expectations would be low, it'd be nice to see Fitch finish 7-3 and maybe get the final playoff spot in Region 1.
Old 10-12-17, 01:11 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballQueen View Post
Actually they have. Lakeside was 4-2 when the Falcons beat them last week 35-0. Not exactly a big time opponent, but still a win.
Sorry, didn't even think of that one. They will most likely finish 4-6, but were 4-2 at the time. Thanks for the correction.
Old 10-12-17, 01:24 PM
All World

Judging by the scores, that Canadian team is probably the best of the lot. Gave Wayne a game, beat McDowell and thrashed Cleveland Heights...
Old 10-12-17, 02:58 PM
All American

FootballQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtownFalcon201 View Post
Some interesting stats in this series:
-Home team is 3-0 in this series, 2-0 for McDowell in Erie and 1-0 for Fitch in Austintown
-McDowell has had to fend off Fitch in their wins IIRC.
----Missed PAT by Fitch in 2014 for a 28-27 win after being down by ~3 TDs
----28-21 OT win by McDowell in 2016
-Fitch's 1st home game was a 29-0 win in 2015

Since this is home, I'd expect Fitch to win. The confidence of a win would go a long ways vs. Boardman and Mooney too. Even though expectations would be low, it'd be nice to see Fitch finish 7-3 and maybe get the final playoff spot in Region 1.
Excellent points.
Old 10-12-17, 02:59 PM
All American

FootballQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcons53 View Post
Sorry, didn't even think of that one. They will most likely finish 4-6, but were 4-2 at the time. Thanks for the correction.
Old 10-12-17, 03:07 PM
All American

FootballQueen
Quote:
Judging by the scores, that Canadian team is probably the best of the lot. Gave Wayne a game, beat McDowell and thrashed Cleveland Heights...
Even so, that Canadian team (2-4) did beat Cleveland Heights but aren't good this year sitting at 1-6. And even Lorain beat them with a 6-1 record butttt only beat one team with a winning record so far this year, that being Warrensville Heights at 4-3. So still not in agreement. I think your giving McDowell way too much credit. Sorry. But again time will tell soon enough. Good luck this evening btw.
Old 10-12-17, 08:32 PM
All Ohio

falguin is on a distinguished road
We need to win out, not just to get into the playoffs, but to get things rolling for next year. There is some very good talent in the younger grades. Winning out would give the boys from A-Town great confidence. I think we win this, and then win out. We have been getting better each week. I thought Lakeside game might be closer based upon how they played against other teams like Harding, so when we blew them out I was very encouraged. Lakeside is much improved and might be able to get to .500 with a win over University School. If we win this game, we will be poised to win out.
Old 10-13-17, 06:25 AM
All American

FootballQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by falguin View Post
We need to win out, not just to get into the playoffs, but to get things rolling for next year. There is some very good talent in the younger grades. Winning out would give the boys from A-Town great confidence. I think we win this, and then win out. We have been getting better each week. I thought Lakeside game might be closer based upon how they played against other teams like Harding, so when we blew them out I was very encouraged. Lakeside is much improved and might be able to get to .500 with a win over University School. If we win this game, we will be poised to win out.
I agree on the part about getting things rolling for next year and giving them confidence. But as far as the playoffs go. Doesn't mean much to me any more when you know your not going to get past the big boys. Take this year for example. If the Falcons would grab the eighth spot. Your looking at Iggy or St Ed in the first round. So unfortunately it would be one and done. Same teams year in and year out in this region. A lot of people I talk to don't care much about the playoffs anymore. Because they know it's one or two games max. But we all hope the guys win out. We all want a winning record. So that being said. GO Falcons!
Old 10-13-17, 06:25 AM
All American

FootballQueen
Game Day!

GO Falcons!!

Let's Get It!!!

Let's Go!!!!
Old 10-13-17, 06:51 AM
All Ohio

AtownFalcon201
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballQueen View Post
I agree on the part about getting things rolling for next year and giving them confidence. But as far as the playoffs go. Doesn't mean much to me any more when you know your not going to get past the big boys. Take this year for example. If the Falcons would grab the eighth spot. Your looking at Iggy or St Ed in the first round. So unfortunately it would be one and done. Same teams year in and year out in this region. A lot of people I talk to don't care much about the playoffs anymore. Because they know it's one or two games max. But we all hope the guys win out. We all want a winning record. So that being said. GO Falcons!
To the bolded, when the 7th division was announced, I was excited to see Fitch stay in Division 1 and hoped the regional alignments would shift Iggy and Eds out of Region 1. But that didn't happen. Not to have a defeatist attitude, but it'll take a perfect/special season to advance past them. Boardman has it fairly "easy" in Div 2 Reg 7. If Massillon would be the big "name" to beat, I'd say bring them on and would have full confidence we could beat them.

But it is what it is. Good luck tonight Falcons!
Old 10-13-17, 07:30 AM
All American

4cards is on a distinguished road
...Best of luck to the Falcons tonight!
Old 10-13-17, 07:35 AM
All American

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Goodluck to the falcons
Old 10-13-17, 07:41 AM
All American

FootballQueen
Quote:
To the bolded, when the 7th division was announced, I was excited to see Fitch stay in Division 1 and hoped the regional alignments would shift Iggy and Eds out of Region 1. But that didn't happen. Not to have a defeatist attitude, but it'll take a perfect/special season to advance past them. Boardman has it fairly "easy" in Div 2 Reg 7. If Massillon would be the big "name" to beat, I'd say bring them on and would have full confidence we could beat them.

Exactly. Well said.
Old 10-13-17, 07:42 AM
All American

FootballQueen
Thanks guys for the well wishes. Good luck to you and your respective teams as well.

GO Falcons!
Old 10-13-17, 07:53 AM
All World

If Fitch never went OE, they'd be in d2 by now. They were basically the same size as Boardman until they started taking open enrollment students. Believe that over 10% of the population are open enrollment students.
Old 10-13-17, 09:15 AM
All American

FootballQueen
Quote:
If Fitch never went OE, they'd be in d2 by now. They were basically the same size as Boardman until they started taking open enrollment students. Believe that over 10% of the population are open enrollment students.
Good point. Trust me, we've all thought about it one time or another. It is what it is unfortunately.
Old 10-13-17, 09:59 AM
All Ohio

owencountykentucky is on a distinguished road
Go Falcons!
Old 10-13-17, 10:05 AM
All World

The other thing that hurt Fitch was shifting the stark schools into region 1, who were always region 2 in the old setup. Really tough for a non Fed, Catholic, or GCC school to break into the field.
Old 10-13-17, 10:18 AM
All American

Go Falcons!
Old 10-13-17, 10:21 AM
All American

FootballQueen
Quote:
The other thing that hurt Fitch was shifting the stark schools into region 1, who were always region 2 in the old setup. Really tough for a non Fed, Catholic, or GCC school to break into the field.
Also true.
Old 10-13-17, 10:22 AM
All American

FootballQueen
Thanks again guys. Good luck to you all as well.
Old 10-13-17, 10:54 AM
All World

SteelValley
Quote:

It is a tough road for Fitch in Division 1 and always was for public schools on the smaller end of that to compete with huge parochials and some public schools w/ nearly double the enrollment. I've always thought the top division is the hardest one to really make totally a level playing field as there really is no upper limit. No other division has a situation where the smallest school in the division is roughly 50% the enrollment of the largest one. Throw into that those largest schools are private schools like St. X and Ignatius.

To some extent Fitch though has put themselves in the spot they currently are with electing to be OE. If not for OE, they'd likely be roughly equal in size to Boardman and be in D-2/R-7 with us. From a purely football playoff competitiveness perspective, the OE decision is not really doing Fitch any favors.

I think Boardman and Harding really have the potential in D-2, if the adminstrations commit to making winning in football priority, to be a regular power in D-2 and possibly win a state title. I never totally felt that way in D-1 staring down Ignatius, Ed's, Mentor (and in the past Glenville) in Region 1. Not to mention, your reward for getting by all of them was likely going to be a Cincy powerhouse private school in the state title game. We've seen the last 2 years that Massillon Perry has made the state final in D-2(they're now back up to D-1 and even if they had 2015 or 2016's teams, they'd be 1 and done more than likely vs Ed's, Iggy, or Mentor). The Perry teams were really marginally better than Boardman head-to-head the past 2 years and in the Fed were always on an equal level to Fitch/Boardman IMO. I see no reason Boardman can't do what Perry did the last 2 years in the future.
Old 10-13-17, 06:28 PM
All Ohio

The Fed teams never scared me. Back in the Hartman era, we never had trouble with them. Unfortunately, a few bad coaching hires kept us from better success when we were in the Fed. The Fed schools by virtue of playing each other build up points, but playoff success in D1 has been minimal. It is a catch 22 because I always enjoyed being in D1, but realistically probably a better fit in D2.

Good luck tonight and the remaining games.
Old 10-13-17, 06:47 PM
All American

Updates?