Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-09-17, 03:47 PM
Yellow_Jacket06 Yellow_Jacket06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: The Hive
Posts: 30,113
Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Troy (5-2) @ Sidney (7-0)



VS




Meeting #105 (Troy leads series 65-33-6)


This storm has been brewing for a couple weeks and now it's time for the showdown at Sidney Memorial Stadium. The Yellow Jackets host the Trojans for what could very well be the GWOC American North championship game when all is said and done. At the very least, the winner will be in firm control of their own destiny. I'm not going to waste time trying to dig too deeply into this game. All that needs to be said is this is one of the top games in the Dayton area for Week 8 along with Centerville/Northmont.

Last 5 Games

2016 - Troy 31 Sidney 6
2015 - Sidney 52 Troy 28
2014 - Troy 27 Sidney 0
2013 - Sidney 42 Troy 28
2012 - Troy 26 Sidney 7


Drew Pasteur Projection: Troy by 1
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-09-17, 03:51 PM
BrutusBuckeye90 BrutusBuckeye90 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-22-15
Location: Sidney OH
Posts: 495
BrutusBuckeye90 is on a distinguished road
I see yet another shootout at the Hive.

Sidney 45
Troy 42
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-09-17, 04:14 PM
Bellefontaine2 Bellefontaine2 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-31-16
Location: OH/KY
Posts: 74
Bellefontaine2 is on a distinguished road
This is going to be a great game, I'm not even going to attempt to call this game. This will be a back and forth battle all night long! Good luck to both teams from Bellefontaine.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-09-17, 04:14 PM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 4,426
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Troy’s defense is legit and Sidney’s offense is legit. This game will be decided on if Sidney’s shaky defense can step up or if Troy’s offense will put up enough points. While Boswer will almost certainly be a major workhouse in this game, Troy’s rb will likely also be called upon for 25-30 touches. I think it could be whoever has the ball last wins.

Prediction:
Troy 42
Sidney 34
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-09-17, 04:50 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 7,228
winbypin is on a distinguished road
How many points has Sidney been giving up this year? On average. Seems like a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-09-17, 04:59 PM
OHFball10 OHFball10 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-07-14
Location: Ohio
Posts: 133
OHFball10 is on a distinguished road
I think Sidney's string of close wins (excluding bad opponents) comes to an end with this one. Troy has the size and speed to contain Bowser and Gordon, and should be able to score without too much trouble against Sidney's weak defense.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-09-17, 05:01 PM
OHFball10 OHFball10 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-07-14
Location: Ohio
Posts: 133
OHFball10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
How many points has Sidney been giving up this year? On average. Seems like a lot.
If you exclude the games against Carroll and West Carrollton (who are a combined 2-12), Sidney is giving up an average of 37.6 points per game. Not a good sign for a team looking to compete in the playoffs.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-09-17, 05:08 PM
Yellow_Jacket06 Yellow_Jacket06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: The Hive
Posts: 30,113
Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHFball10 View Post
If you exclude the games against Carroll and West Carrollton (who are a combined 2-12), Sidney is giving up an average of 37.6 points per game. Not a good sign for a team looking to compete in the playoffs.
And yet they've still won. I'd like to point out St. Marys and Bellefontaine are still undefeated against anyone not named Sidney.

As for Troy being able to contain both Bowser and Gordon, not happening. You can take away one but not both. Pick your poison and live with the result. The OL hasn't gotten the recognition they deserve but they have been pretty solid all season.

I think Gordon will be the key in this game. He has started to get in a rhythm throwing the ball especially stretching the field deep. Of course he has his natural athleticism to fall back on if nothing is open.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-09-17, 06:07 PM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 4,426
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Gordon will be very important in this game. He will have to mirror what Lyburtus did to us. Lyburtus gave us fits. However Troy’s run defense is great. Here are the opposing running backs Troy has faced this year and their stats against us. While only Hargrove is as good as Bowser, the rest of the guys aren’t anything to sneeze at.

Hargrove 12 carries 43 yds (1098 on the year)
Wells 17 carries 56 yds (874 on the year)
Redmon 13 carries 21 yds (638 on the year)
Clark 14 carries -19 yds ( 684 on the year)
Bathurst 21 carries 89 yds (879 on the year)
Flatt 16 carries 17 yds (898 on the year)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-09-17, 06:35 PM
Volnelk's Avatar
Volnelk Volnelk is offline
Voice of Reason
 
Join Date: 09-21-01
Location: No Comment
Posts: 4,731
Volnelk is on a distinguished road
Barring other unforeseen results, Troy needs this to make the playoffs. Sidney is in regardless but may need to win to have a home game.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-09-17, 07:14 PM
INDIANS_RULE INDIANS_RULE is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-07-01
Location: Piqua
Posts: 6,677
INDIANS_RULE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to INDIANS_RULE
This might be the best game in the area this weekend. I am actually really glad Piqua plays on Thursday, because we will be in Sidney Friday to watch this game.

I think if Troy finds a way to get a few stops they can win this game and looking at their stats it appears they can. But like it's been said before, even if you stop Bowser can you contain Gordan. Piqua did a decent job with Bowser, but Gordon was able to make enough plays running and throwing the ball.

If Sidney could find a way to play an entire defensive game they would be a very dangerous team. I don't know what Troy does well on offense, but whatever it is I'm sure it will give Sidney's defense fits.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-09-17, 07:25 PM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 4,426
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIANS_RULE View Post
This might be the best game in the area this weekend. I am actually really glad Piqua plays on Thursday, because we will be in Sidney Friday to watch this game.

I think if Troy finds a way to get a few stops they can win this game and looking at their stats it appears they can. But like it's been said before, even if you stop Bowser can you contain Gordan. Piqua did a decent job with Bowser, but Gordon was able to make enough plays running and throwing the ball.

If Sidney could find a way to play an entire defensive game they would be a very dangerous team. I don't know what Troy does well on offense, but whatever it is I'm sure it will give Sidney's defense fits.
Troy has a trio of running backs but use 2 predominantly. They use their burner Culp-Bishop on most plays except near the end zone. He has nearly 1,000 yards rushing on the year. Sam Jackson is a 6’0 220ish bull who they use for short yardage. Both are Jr’s. From what I’ve heard, Jackson has been getting looks from smaller d1 schools but no offers yet. Predominantly for defense I think. They’ve got some small but hard nose receivers they use too. Guys who you look at and don’t think much of but they are like nails. They have a good TE who is about 6’4/6’5 with good hands. They typically aren’t flashy on offense and are pretty methodical at times.

But make no mistake this team is about defense. They swarm you. It’s going to take Bowser AND Gordon to beat them. I don’t think 1 will be enough.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-09-17, 11:02 PM
Yellow_Jacket06 Yellow_Jacket06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: The Hive
Posts: 30,113
Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Bowser needs 100 yards to become the first 2,000 yard back in Sidney history. Troy hasn't allowed 100 to any RB. Will be interesting. Another factor is turnovers. Sidney has been pretty good about taking care of the ball on offense. Gordon has only thrown 1 pick and Bowser has maybe 1 fumble on the season.

No question Sidney needs to tighten up on defense. I would say shore up special teams as well but last week was the first time they had a real breakdown in kick coverage I believe. Had some issues with high snaps on XP attempts but those are rare.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-09-17, 11:11 PM
Yellow_Jacket06 Yellow_Jacket06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: The Hive
Posts: 30,113
Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volnelk View Post
Barring other unforeseen results, Troy needs this to make the playoffs. Sidney is in regardless but may need to win to have a home game.
Sidney needs that home game badly too. First playoff game in 28 years, it would be much more comfortable at home.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-10-17, 07:49 AM
bigv bigv is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 1,733
bigv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Gordon will be very important in this game. He will have to mirror what Lyburtus did to us. Lyburtus gave us fits. However Troy’s run defense is great. Here are the opposing running backs Troy has faced this year and their stats against us. While only Hargrove is as good as Bowser, the rest of the guys aren’t anything to sneeze at.

Hargrove 12 carries 43 yds (1098 on the year)
Wells 17 carries 56 yds (874 on the year)
Redmon 13 carries 21 yds (638 on the year)
Clark 14 carries -19 yds ( 684 on the year)
Bathurst 21 carries 89 yds (879 on the year)
Flatt 16 carries 17 yds (898 on the year)
Didn't Trotwood destroy Troy?limiting Hargroves carries?Or maybe you stopped Hargrove allowing someone else to kill you?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-10-17, 07:54 AM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 4,426
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigv View Post
Didn't Trotwood destroy Troy?limiting Hargroves carries?Or maybe you stopped Hargrove allowing someone else to kill you?
Trotwood destroyed us. No other way around it. They were the far better team and I believe they are the best team in the Dayton area.

Although the last 2 years, he hasn't done anything against us. I think maybe they game planned to stop him like the year before, but Stephens Peppers has grown into a great QB and he lit us up.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-10-17, 08:02 AM
BrutusBuckeye90 BrutusBuckeye90 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-22-15
Location: Sidney OH
Posts: 495
BrutusBuckeye90 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Trotwood destroyed us. No other way around it. They were the far better team and I believe they are the best team in the Dayton area.

Although the last 2 years, he hasn't done anything against us. I think maybe they game planned to stop him like the year before, but Stephens Peppers has grown into a great QB and he lit us up.
And you may have just laid out the game plan for Sidney on Friday night.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-10-17, 08:05 AM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 4,426
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye90 View Post
And you may have just laid out the game plan for Sidney on Friday night.
I'm not giving away any secrets here lol. Mobile dual threat Qb's have had success against Troy.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-10-17, 08:10 AM
Yoda Yoda is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 05-21-05
Location: Some where over the Rainb
Posts: 287
Yoda
I have been waiting for this game for weeks. You have the #1 Offense in Sidney avg. 500yds a game. They avg 328 rushing and 171 yds thru the air. Going up against Troy's Defense who is the #3 in the GWOC. They are giving up 234 yards per game. They are only giving up 91 yards rushing per game and 142 yards thru the air. Something will have to give on Friday. I think that for Troy to win this game they are going to have to throw the ball with more consistency. Over the last couple weeks they have had a hard time throwing the ball and becoming to 1 dimensional just running the ball.

Troy 42
Sidney 35
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-10-17, 08:20 AM
BrutusBuckeye90 BrutusBuckeye90 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-22-15
Location: Sidney OH
Posts: 495
BrutusBuckeye90 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I have been waiting for this game for weeks. You have the #1 Offense in Sidney avg. 500yds a game. They avg 328 rushing and 171 yds thru the air. Going up against Troy's Defense who is the #3 in the GWOC. They are giving up 234 yards per game. They are only giving up 91 yards rushing per game and 142 yards thru the air. Something will have to give on Friday. I think that for Troy to win this game they are going to have to throw the ball with more consistency. Over the last couple weeks they have had a hard time throwing the ball and becoming to 1 dimensional just running the ball.

Troy 42
Sidney 35
I think Troy will do just fine to run the ball. IF Sidney has a strength on defense, it is against the pass.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-10-17, 08:22 AM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 4,426
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I have been waiting for this game for weeks. You have the #1 Offense in Sidney avg. 500yds a game. They avg 328 rushing and 171 yds thru the air. Going up against Troy's Defense who is the #3 in the GWOC. They are giving up 234 yards per game. They are only giving up 91 yards rushing per game and 142 yards thru the air. Something will have to give on Friday. I think that for Troy to win this game they are going to have to throw the ball with more consistency. Over the last couple weeks they have had a hard time throwing the ball and becoming to 1 dimensional just running the ball.

Troy 42
Sidney 35
Gotta go with what works. Coleman just needs to manage the game and not commit turnovers. If Troy gets down at any point, Sidney can put them away. That cannot happen. We have to match scores. But I do agree, QB play has been inconsistent. Needs to get better.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-10-17, 08:22 AM
BrutusBuckeye90 BrutusBuckeye90 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-22-15
Location: Sidney OH
Posts: 495
BrutusBuckeye90 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
I'm not giving away any secrets here lol. Mobile dual threat Qb's have had success against Troy.
You DB's will have to try their best to stay with their guy because if they don't, Gordon will find the open man. He doesn't find them all of the time but I have been very impressed with his ability to look downfield while scrambling.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-10-17, 08:27 AM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 4,426
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
So far in the GWOC Pick Em contest...

11 picked Troy
10 picked Sidney

I am pumped for this showdown!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-10-17, 08:29 AM
troyboy73 troyboy73 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-05
Location: springfield
Posts: 3,194
troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
bigv, what do you know about Troy? Probably 23 miles west of Springfield on rt 41. Trotwood QB destroyed Troy, not Hargrove. He was shut down and passing game took over.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-10-17, 09:26 AM
NewJacketCity NewJacketCity is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-21-16
Posts: 78
NewJacketCity is on a distinguished road
I'd go with a cover 0 or cover 1 with Hudgins and Taborn going press man on the outside pretty much the entire game, sans any long yardage situations, and make their QB beat you. If I were Doenges I'm doing everything I can to slow down the run game and make Sam Coleman beat you.

Offensively I'd have some good misdirection, zone read, and quick play-action pass plays ready, as Troy likes to be physical and flow to the ball. Sidney must keep Troy honest, because I don't think they can lineup and blow them off the ball. That will go a long way to keeping Isaiah free'd up to run roughshod between the tackles.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-10-17, 10:46 AM
foghat78 foghat78 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-27-13
Posts: 139
foghat78 is on a distinguished road
I think this game comes down to 3 keys

1. Field Position Battle- Troy has been able to put points on the board this year when they've had the short field. Struggled having to drive. Troys defense is tough and will be hard to drive the field on. So for either team to put up a lot of points they are going to have to win the field position battle.

2. Eliminate the big play- Sidney feasts on big plays and at the same time has given up a bunch on the defensive side. Sidney will need to get a few stops on the big play as will Troy. Whichever team can get a few may have the upper hand.

3. Turnovers- Sidney doesn't turn the ball over. (3 turnovers total this season I believe) Troy has a knack for getting turnovers so this will be interesting to see how it plays outs. But in big games like this turnovers always seem to be a big turning point. I think Sidney has the advantage here because with as many points as they've given up they have created quite a few turnovers this year and Troy has had some slight issues in this department.

Should be an exciting time at Sidney Memorial Stadium with a packed house. I know I'm ready for a shredded chicken sandwich and a bag of popcorn!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-10-17, 10:57 AM
Zezzo! Zezzo! is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 1,468
Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIANS_RULE View Post
This might be the best game in the area this weekend. I am actually really glad Piqua plays on Thursday, because we will be in Sidney Friday to watch this game.

I think if Troy finds a way to get a few stops they can win this game and looking at their stats it appears they can. But like it's been said before, even if you stop Bowser can you contain Gordan. Piqua did a decent job with Bowser, but Gordon was able to make enough plays running and throwing the ball.

If Sidney could find a way to play an entire defensive game they would be a very dangerous team. I don't know what Troy does well on offense, but whatever it is I'm sure it will give Sidney's defense fits.
Centerville/Northmont,Beavercreek/Springfield,Wayne/Fairmont as well as Troy/Sidney all major points games this weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-10-17, 03:48 PM
Yellow_Jacket06 Yellow_Jacket06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: The Hive
Posts: 30,113
Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
"What are you doing Friday night?"

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-11-17, 04:37 PM
lat lat is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-15-11
Posts: 713
lat is on a distinguished road
This is the game I’ve been waiting for, so far sidney has been the best team in the north and bows the time to prove it troy is getting healthy and playing good but hopefully Sidney’s defense can make a few stands and the offense keeps clicking and brings home another victory
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-11-17, 06:09 PM
INDIANS_RULE INDIANS_RULE is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-07-01
Location: Piqua
Posts: 6,677
INDIANS_RULE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to INDIANS_RULE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lat View Post
This is the game I’ve been waiting for, so far sidney has been the best team in the north and bows the time to prove it troy is getting healthy and playing good but hopefully Sidney’s defense can make a few stands and the offense keeps clicking and brings home another victory

Hey does your offer still stand? There will be three maybe four of us.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tippecanoe (3-3) @ Sidney (6-0) Yellow_Jacket06 Football 125 10-06-17 08:31 PM
Troy D-3 District Rankings (Off Season #3) McClearn7 Wrestling 0 09-21-17 02:28 PM
Carroll (1-1) @ Sidney (2-0) Yellow_Jacket06 Football 41 09-09-17 07:54 AM
Troy D-3 District Rankings (Off Season #2) McClearn7 Wrestling 7 08-02-17 11:45 AM
Troy Post 43 Tournament - June 9-11 seclmw Baseball 0 06-05-17 10:28 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz