Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who You Got?
Steubenville by 1-7 3 5.00%
Steubenville by 7-14 30 50.00%
Steubenville by 21+ 17 28.33%
New Philly by 1-7 6 10.00%
New Philly by 7-14 1 1.67%
New Philly by 21+ 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-17, 09:32 AM
All District

RollRed is on a distinguished road
Week 8: Steubenville(7-0) vs. New Philadelphia(7-0)

Itís week 8 already.

Thoughts on the game? And who do you got?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-17, 09:35 AM
All District

RollRed is on a distinguished road
What does New Philly like to do?

Run? Pass?

What did they have returning from their team last year and how are they size and speed wise?
Old 10-07-17, 09:46 AM
All Ohio

ECOLace is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollRed View Post
What does New Philly like to do?

Run? Pass?

What did they have returning from their team last year and how are they size and speed wise?
They have a good amount of lineman from last year. They're pretty balanced and can run or pass. Good, big and fast receivers on the outside. QB is dual threat. Their running back is also a good runner. Overall team speed is pretty good.
Old 10-07-17, 10:12 AM
All District

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
NP is a solid football team. They are pretty balanced run/pass. I think the past several years they have wanted to be a between-the-tackles run team from a pistol/shotgun spread approach, and then use play action pass and spread pass game off of establishing that. Knowing that, opposing teams have seemed to focus their defense on stopping the RO, and have been effective to a degree in doing that, but the passing game has been more potent as a result.

The QB, Baron May, is a very talented kid. He can run for over 100 and pass for over 300. He has 5-6 long TD runs this year, most on RO plays in seams up the gut. He is speedy and shifty in the pocket, but does take sacks when he holds the ball against good coverage. He is really accurate and has a strong enough arm that he can complete them 40 yards down field in small windows. He has a knack for almost always giving his receiver a chance to catch the ball. He makes that offense go. If you can limit his running and passing, NP will have a hard time moving the ball.

RB Kye Crowthers is a really good player (1600+ rushing last year). He has been limited by defensive attention and a nagging injury, but is still getting 20-25 carries a game, and gets tough yards. He's not a big kid or blazing fast, but he has a nose for a crack, knows when to get skinny, spin, or jump cut, and tends to go forward a yard or two or three at the end of a run.

May has 3 really good players to throw to. At the top of that list is Sam Zemus, a tall kid with good speed and GREAT hands. Pretty much catches everything. There is also Jalani Walker who has very good speed and his hands are getting better. Then there is a HB type of player (#47, name is escaping me due to dementia) that has made some big plays.

On defense, you will enjoy watching LB Garrett Strand. He's one of those guys who is always around the ball and arrives in a bad mood with violent force.

I don't think they are as big or strong on the lines as last year, but they have been effective. It is really hard to tell because the competition they have played hasn't been that strong. That's about to change, and how good those kids are will be known by next Saturday.

I believe that they are good enough offensively, with a nice handful of weapons, to stress a defense and move the ball on almost anyone, but my biggest concern is whether they can get stops against BR. Inferior teams that they have blown out have been able to have long, sustained drives on them and control the clock for a qtr or most of a half. The one positive is that they do show a lot of fight in the redzone, and have gotten a lot of stops once opponents have moved the ball down there.

That's what I have observed and seen. But then again, I'm an old man, so what do I know? Maybe another NP poster has better analysis.
Old 10-07-17, 12:12 PM
Junior Varsity

ViolentPacifist76 is on a distinguished road
Pretty accurate analysis IVCguy. The Quakers are a good mix of seniors that have improved with each passing season and several young guys that are maturing quickly and making plays. NP's defense needs to get some stops and not let BR control the clock. The offense must protect the ball (a clean game is a must) and have a mix of big plays and ball control to be effective.

As I've stated before on another post, these are the games you look forward to as a player, program, and fan. Serious playoff points on the line here...at least for NP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-17, 07:38 PM
All District

cone is on a distinguished road
Big Red will be able to run the ball at will, not one of NP best defenses. Big Red BIG.
Old 10-07-17, 08:41 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cone View Post
Big Red will be able to run the ball at will, not one of NP best defenses. Big Red BIG.

I believe I heard the same thing a little over a week ago. Wasn't that BIG of a margin. NP's a little better vs. the run than you might think. Quakers will be prepared, but must execute and tackle well.

Old 10-07-17, 09:59 PM
All Ohio

doverbuck is on a distinguished road
Phila has played a weak schedule BUT they have 6 dominating wins and a great comeback win in a 7th win. Have not seen them play but they have taken care of business. I think with the passing game they have they can give BR a run for their money. Dover needs phila to win.
Old 10-07-17, 10:04 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Challenge Game (10/13): New Philadelphia (7-0) at Steubenville (7-0)
New Philadelphia (7-0) at Steubenville (7-0)
08/25/17 New Philadelphia (New Philadelphia) 45, Claymont (Uhrichsville) 6
09/01/17 New Philadelphia (New Philadelphia) 49, West Holmes (Millersburg) 24
09/08/17 New Philadelphia (New Philadelphia) 28, Northwest (Canal Fulton) 6
09/15/17 New Philadelphia (New Philadelphia) 29, St Charles (Columbus) 28
09/22/17 New Philadelphia (New Philadelphia) 35, Canton Central Catholic (Canton) 21
09/29/17 New Philadelphia (New Philadelphia) 44, Marietta (Marietta) 14
10/06/17 New Philadelphia (New Philadelphia) 37, Zanesville (Zanesville) 14
08/25/17 Steubenville (Steubenville) 37, Upper Saint Clair () [PA] 7
09/01/17 Steubenville (Steubenville) 28, Morgantown (Morgantown) [WV] 6
09/08/17 Steubenville (Steubenville) 42, Football North (via St Joseph) (Nepean) [ON] 14
09/15/17 Steubenville (Steubenville) 42, Boardman (Youngstown) 21
09/22/17 Steubenville (Steubenville) 55, University Prep (USO co-op) (Pittsburgh) [PA] 20
09/29/17 Steubenville (Steubenville) 21, Dover (Dover) 10
10/06/17 Steubenville (Steubenville) 37, Ursuline (Youngstown) 6

Play this game and the other 11 games in the pick'em here:
http://www.yappi.com/contest/contest.php
Old 10-09-17, 10:03 AM
All District

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
I haven't seen BR play but I have a good sense of what they are. Philly would need to bring their A game, and then they need the variables like TOs, special teams plays, etc.

I always get a kick out of fans who think their over-confident bravado makes their team immune to the variables of the game that allow for defeat. Not saying that is going on here, but I say that as more of a general observation. Teenagers are incredibly prone to those factors. I think BR should win this game, but it is not an over-whelming mismatch and I think Philly can win if the proverbial ball bounces their way,
Old 10-09-17, 11:03 AM
Freshman

DHS1 is on a distinguished road
Balls only bounce one way at Reno Field. Have seen both play. I think NP stays in the game for a half, then BR pulls away.
Old 10-09-17, 11:14 AM
All District

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
The only way Phila wins this is if BR plays like it did for most of the game against Dover, and Phila's O plays better than Dover's did that night. If BR brings its 'A' game, Phila gets humbled.
Old 10-09-17, 11:55 AM
All Region

tb81 is on a distinguished road
The last two New Philly teams were talented enough to beat Steubenville, but this one isn't. Steubenville will have to play even worse than they did against Dover for Philly to have a chance. Philly don't have much depth, they play less than 20 kids combined each game on offense, defense and special teams so some of those kids are tired and a little banged up.
Old 10-09-17, 12:29 PM
All Region

valuska is on a distinguished road
Any team that has a 7-0 record has a talented group of athletes and it would be a big mistake to take the opponent lightly. I see the difference in this game being the depth of Big Red in combination with playing at home. BR has been playing a fast, physical, blitzing defense that has held offenses the last two weeks to 114 yards
(3 run & 111 pass) at Dover and 75 yards (67 run & 8 pass) of total offense at home against Ursuline. Ursuline had negative yards until after BR took out all their starters with a 37-0 lead and a running clock mid-third quarter. They are able to substitute freely with out losing efficiency on either offense or defense and have worn down defenses late in the game. After a below average performance in Dover with both penalties and turnovers they played much more disciplined game against Ursuline with 1 interception and just 3 penalties for 30 yards. New Philly will have to bring their best effort to stay in this game while Big Red will have to play a disciplined game to win. Should be a good one to watch. Safe trip to all the Philly fans....hope to see a big crowd.
Old 10-09-17, 12:50 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb81 View Post
Steubenville will have to play even worse than they did against Dover for Philly to have a chance. Philly don't have much depth, they play less than 20 kids combined each game on offense, defense and special teams so some of those kids are tired and a little banged up.
You're right. Phila's offense is May, Crowthers, Zemis, Walker, and Kohl. Throw in Strand, Preston, and Weekley on defense, and you essentially have their whole team. IMO, If BR shuts down May, in particular, it's game-over for Phila.
Old 10-09-17, 01:26 PM
Junior Varsity

noclue is on a distinguished road
Big Red 41 Phily 20
Old 10-09-17, 01:32 PM
All Ohio

This game will speed up phila or they will get crushed,Steubenville forces you to play faster you have to react at full speed,any hesitation and you are too late.
Old 10-09-17, 01:32 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Steubenville by 21+
Old 10-09-17, 01:59 PM
All District

Springsteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by doverbuck View Post
This game will speed up phila or they will get crushed,Steubenville forces you to play faster you have to react at full speed,any hesitation and you are too late.
Boy, not a fan of either team, but sounds like Philly shouldn't even show up at Steubenville Friday evening.
Old 10-09-17, 02:08 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springsteen View Post
Boy, not a fan of either team, but sounds like Philly shouldn't even show up at Steubenville Friday evening.
Well .... ???
Old 10-09-17, 02:53 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
It all depends on how well they are prepared,how good of a job have the phila coaches done in coming up with a game plan that they are confident in and understand well enough to play at a high level.
Old 10-09-17, 04:02 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post

I always get a kick out of fans who think their over-confident bravado makes their team immune to the variables of the game that allow for defeat. Not saying that is going on here, but I say that as more of a general observation. Teenagers are incredibly prone to those factors. I think BR should win this game, but it is not an over-whelming mismatch and I think Philly can win if the proverbial ball bounces their way,

I don't think NP fans or players are over-confident...but to say they aren't confident that their team can play with BR would not be the case either. I think the NP kids have a pretty good idea of what BR brings to the table. Remember, they've been on the field with size, speed, strength, and skill their final two games last year so they definitely won't be in awe. BR will obviously be the best team the Quakers have faced yet this season by far and no one is really giving them a chance, but that's why you play the game.
Besides, have you ever seen anyone win that's already got it in their heads that they can't? The NP football program has adopted the mindset of PMA (positive mental attitude) over the last few years. That's all we can ask for out of our young men. To prepare themselves for whatever they line up across from. It's worked ok so far (other than the beast that was Hoban).
I absolutely agree that NP has to play as clean of a game as possible with no TO's and hopefully keep penalties/mistakes to a minimum if they want to have any chance of coming away with a win. Just hoping for a competitive showing from our kids.

Old 10-09-17, 06:24 PM
All Region

valuska is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentPacifist76 View Post
I don't think NP fans or players are over-confident...but to say they aren't confident that their team can play with BR would not be the case either. I think the NP kids have a pretty good idea of what BR brings to the table. Remember, they've been on the field with size, speed, strength, and skill their final two games last year so they definitely won't be in awe. BR will obviously be the best team the Quakers have faced yet this season by far and no one is really giving them a chance, but that's why you play the game.
Besides, have you ever seen anyone win that's already got it in their heads that they can't? The NP football program has adopted the mindset of PMA (positive mental attitude) over the last few years. That's all we can ask for out of our young men. To prepare themselves for whatever they line up across from. It's worked ok so far (other than the beast that was Hoban).
I absolutely agree that NP has to play as clean of a game as possible with no TO's and hopefully keep penalties/mistakes to a minimum if they want to have any chance of coming away with a win. Just hoping for a competitive showing from our kids.

Well said. Hard to win without confidence in your team.
Old 10-09-17, 06:43 PM
All American

Old Stubber
This year is one of Big Red biggest lines in recent times, and they have enough talent to substitute frequently to keep the line fresh the entire game. By the middle of the third quarter they have usually worn out the opposing side on the line. That together with the balanced attack with a strong QB and impressive receivers and a load of very good running backs, I see Big Red by about 14 when its all over. New Philly is undefeated and I am sure this is going to be a fun game to watch (or in my case listen to on the internet). I am glad to see New Philly on the schedule again after all these years and hope this game continues. Big Red needs to keep the penalties down like they did with Ursuline and have no turnovers.
Old 10-09-17, 10:06 PM
All Ohio

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Reno doesn't lose games like these.
Old 10-09-17, 11:03 PM
All Ohio

mrfootball
Big red by 21 or more. Np calls the same running play over and over. Reno will shut that down. QB will see pressure like he's never seen. Need quick short passes to give him a chance. Big red 35-7
Old 10-10-17, 02:11 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
BR should beware of what happened at the end of the Phila - St. Charles game, where, in the final 43 seconds, Phila scored 2 passing TDs for the win. When Phila wasn't called offsides on the onside kick between TDs (which Phila recovered), the St. Charles coach 'took issue' with the officiating. As the game ended, tempers flared, the coaches confronted each other, the Quakers refused to shake hands, and the Cardinals abruptly left town. Phila fans called it their miracle win (Is this the 'mindset of PMA' that VP76 referred to?). Ultimately, a St. Charles player was ejected and the coach was suspended for 2 games for arguing with officials. Apparently, the confusion and quick parting at the end of the game caused the Cardinals not to realize that their player had been disqualified, he played the following week, and St. Charles had to forfeit that game, which was their first win of the season.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/sports/2...nto-win-column

http://www.thisweeknews.com/sports/2...t-only-victory
Old 10-10-17, 06:49 AM
Moderated User

AuntBea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Stubber View Post
This year is one of Big Red biggest lines in recent times, and they have enough talent to substitute frequently to keep the line fresh the entire game. By the middle of the third quarter they have usually worn out the opposing side on the line. That together with the balanced attack with a strong QB and impressive receivers and a load of very good running backs, I see Big Red by about 14 when its all over. New Philly is undefeated and I am sure this is going to be a fun game to watch (or in my case listen to on the internet). I am glad to see New Philly on the schedule again after all these years and hope this game continues. Big Red needs to keep the penalties down like they did with Ursuline and have no turnovers.
Here again with the BIG RED nonsense. Every season same crowing only to ultimately watch their "talent" mess the bed in the only game that counts then make excuses why the lost the big. Why doesn't Stueb. do the right thing and clean out that RAT's Nest they have over there and start fresh in order to regain some semblance of decency as a community before placing FB over the real issues with Steub.
Old 10-10-17, 06:59 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
No, Reno waits until the Final game of the season, smacks his players on TV then losses those two years in a row to the same team!
Old 10-10-17, 07:02 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Get use to it if you read any BR thread. As history demonstrates RENO and his crew talk a big game but then "get rode hard and put away wet" when they play teams with "actual talent". Every year same crowing.