Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-11-17, 09:31 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Btw, what is the deal with Watson? Shouldn't he have been eligible after 5 weeks??? Don't know just asking. Heckuva talent if he ever gets his act together. Would rather not see his mug come week 10 but...all's fair in love and war.
McKinley's first grading period ends this week. I could be wrong but I suspect you'll see him playing Friday against GlenOak.
Old 10-11-17, 10:05 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Agreed.

It is like in 1999 and the early 2000's when Hoover would handle Green and more importantly they couldn't score in the first half. Every year we would hear how Green could have beaten Hoover had they played later in the year. It was so bad one year (2003) that Green kicked a FG and led 3-0. Hoover had a Pick 6 and then a great two-minute TD drive to lead 14-3 at the break. Hoover won 40-3 and we had people saying on here after the game Green outplayed Hoover in first half and the game just snowballed in the second half and the two teams are very close to even.

This wasn't made to bash Green or anything. Ironically Hoover plays them this week. The point I am trying to make is people sometimes are just delusionally optimistic about their team's prospects. It happens with all of us at some point but I am in agreement with you that Jackson is better than Perry head-to-head this year and wins 9 out of 10 games. I mean Jackson mercy clocked Perry with Jackson lacking a true running game. So it isn't like Jackson broke out with a huge rushing stat line against Perry (20 rushes for 24 yards according to fridaynightohio) and that could be used as an argument.

It sucks that Jackson had that injury early in the game vs McKinley as it really made them one dimensional on offense. Through 3 quarters it was anyone's ballgame. Pups are a load though. It is going to take a GREAT performance from any team to beat them IMHO. McKinley is a Top 5 Division 1 team IMHO.
Jackson has not been deep at RB the past three years. They have some talent now but they're all a year away. So if Childers doesn't come back or isn't at 100%, there could be trouble. Budd was cagey about it, so we'll see. Against Central it shouldn't matter. Green and Hoover are different stories. Green has a pretty solid defense, but I still think their offense is weak enough Jackson wins. With Hoover, you lose the ability to run at their main weakness and can't make any mistakes. Suddenly their strengths (running game and maybe the secondary) are looking more valuable. What could have been game where Jackson probably pulls away in the late 3rd/early 4th ends up a situation where both the QB and the defense can't make any mistakes or there might be a rerun of last year.

I remember that game where Green finally beat Hoover in '04. They celebrated like they won the Super Bowl. That was Green's last year in the playoffs. They have a shot at getting into R5 if they beat the Vikings on Friday.
Old 10-12-17, 12:06 AM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
McKinley's first grading period ends this week. I could be wrong but I suspect you'll see him playing Friday against GlenOak.
Thanks Stalker. Why would you know or care? Just asking.
Old 10-12-17, 05:22 AM
All Yappi

Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Jackson has not been deep at RB the past three years. They have some talent now but they're all a year away. So if Childers doesn't come back or isn't at 100%, there could be trouble. Budd was cagey about it, so we'll see. Against Central it shouldn't matter. Green and Hoover are different stories. Green has a pretty solid defense, but I still think their offense is weak enough Jackson wins. With Hoover, you lose the ability to run at their main weakness and can't make any mistakes. Suddenly their strengths (running game and maybe the secondary) are looking more valuable. What could have been game where Jackson probably pulls away in the late 3rd/early 4th ends up a situation where both the QB and the defense can't make any mistakes or there might be a rerun of last year.

I remember that game where Green finally beat Hoover in '04. They celebrated like they won the Super Bowl. That was Green's last year in the playoffs. They have a shot at getting into R5 if they beat the Vikings on Friday.
Jackson should take care of CCC with or without a solid running game. Green and Hoover may turn up the blitzing but Hoover gave up 300+yds passing to McKinley so Jackson may be onto something there.

Yeah Green's star QB (Cundiff) that year actually made the claim that it was the school's biggest win ever and this is a team that went to the D2 Semis just 3 years previous. I know they were obliterated 40-3 the year before so they were excited but still. Worst part about that loss was the game was delayed Friday into Saturday and then Saturday it was delayed for several hours of pouring rain and Green never had a lead in the game until inside the final 2 minutes. That Hoover team won one game and that win was over an 0-10 Boardman team.

Green if they can beat Hoover and I feel like they are a solid favorite vs Lake they have a very good shot at getting in the playoffs and good for them if they do. I think Hoover pulls out the win as despite how bad their defense has been the past 5 weeks they can score points and Green has struggled to put points on anyone. I am thinking Green wants a 21-17 or 17-14 type of score (or even lower). If Hoover gets 4 TD's I think it will be enough and they have the capability of getting specials teams and defensive TD's. As far as Hoover's playoffs hopes they are at #12 but are only a fraction behind #10 Columbus Northland. Northland has a game this week against a Columbus Crusaders Club team and does not count towards Computer Points so they only have 2 more games and one is against a winless team and the other against a 3-3 Beechcroft team that very well could beat them. Then #9 Licking Heights has a tough 2 games to end it and if they lose those games Hoover very well could pass them. Basically Hoover needs to beat Green and split vs Hartley and Jackson and they are in.
Old 10-12-17, 06:23 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Basically Hoover needs to beat Green and split vs Hartley and Jackson and they are in.
I think Hoover gets Green. There's a chance the offense gets stymied like it did against East/GO/Perry for most of the game, but it as of yet has not been bottled up for an entire game and it is probably the most underrated offense in the county.

As far as Bishop Hartley/Jackson -- yeah, Hartley can run but their competition hasn't been stellar outside of TCC (who they lost to). So we'll see, I'm not discounting anything. Against Jackson... well... the 300 yards passing, yes, that's definitely doable for Pallotta as he's better than Curtis, but part of me will never believe the Bears will take 3 out of the last 4 against the Vikings until it happens, lol. Budd is gonna have to channel the ghost of Robert Fife. Reicosky remains a beast. On the other hand, I think Pallotta really wants a win (his brother beat Hoover twice, never lost to them) and only having 3 INTs on the year is pretty impressive. Still think it will be a 49-42 type score one way or another.
Old 10-12-17, 07:13 AM
All World

Flood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My man Flood! Sounds like he's got his priorities in order. Good for him.
O3, I wish that were true. Jackson moms are the best.
As you know, you must consider the source.
Old 10-12-17, 09:00 AM
All World

BIG ED is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
Okay, I can say three things with confidence:

1) It's clear that people don't understand competitive balance.

2) I didn't say anything about, nor intended to imply anything about recruiting....I was just addressing the competitive balance rule. I don't know the background of the McKinley kids so, other than the kids from Colorado, I don't know how many move in's they have.

3) I agree with Perry67....competitive balance didn't fix the issue with D1. St. Edward, St. Xavier, St. Ignatius, and Moeller all have competitive balance numbers that are over 300. That's almost half of the Perry total enrollment!

Carry on!!!
Great post from just a fan.
My former coach, athletic director and then superintendent the late Tom Winkhart, always said for every 100 boys, you average 10 athletes. Not necessarily all football players, but on the average a D-1 school with less than 700 boys playing a school with 1,000 or more is facing heavy odds.
Old 10-12-17, 10:43 AM
All Region

MrStarkFootball
I agree with previous post. 1 in 10 are athletes. I would say 1 in 20 are capable football players. That gives the team I root for around '30' players. In two weeks they will battle a team that has over '45.'
Old 10-12-17, 01:31 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Might be a half-azz rule of thumb for an avg D1 school, but you get to D4 and below and they would not even be able to field a team, lol. I bet over half of Kirtland, Mogadore, Coldwater etc boys play football. Tradition and program mean a lot.
Old 10-12-17, 04:12 PM
All Yappi

Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
CalPreps has their projections up:

Hoover 28 Green 17
McK 34 GO 8
Perry 35 Lake 7
Jackson 42 CCC 21
Massillon 44 Firestone 7

Last week they had McK by 12 points over Jackson correctly 40-28. I think this weeks picks are pretty accurate and margins as well. I think GO may play McK a little tougher. Other margins seem fairly accurate. Part of me sees Jackson putting one on CCC like 49-14 but then there is that question of how will Jackson respond to a tough loss this time? Last time they blitzed Perry. Should be interesting.
Old 10-12-17, 07:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
Thanks for a straight answer actually. Thought maybe he was injured. Amazing how many 2nd chances kids who are fast get.
Old 10-12-17, 08:20 PM
All Ohio

Wrestling245 is on a distinguished road
Just my opinion, but I think the streaks are due for a W and a upset. Maybe it's my bias coming out in me, but even when we aren't up to standards we usually will get someone. GO Lake!
Old 10-12-17, 09:31 PM
All Yappi

perry1480 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestling245 View Post
Just my opinion, but I think the streaks are due for a W and a upset. Maybe it's my bias coming out in me, but even when we aren't up to standards we usually will get someone. GO Lake!
Lake always plays Perry well. Doesn't matter how down Lake is, they win one or two they shouldn't.
Old 10-12-17, 09:34 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
O3, I wish that were true. Jackson moms are the best. As you know, you must consider the source.
Flood - are you denying you have ever made that statement? Maybe on the basketball thread? Think before you answer - these things are archived.
Old 10-12-17, 09:40 PM
All American

Wouldn't a Jackson-Massillon match up be so much more meaningful and entertaining than watching each of them crush two overmatched opponents?

Yappi would probably crash due to all the traffic. It would certainly mean more to the kids and the communities than these yawners will.
Old 10-13-17, 10:19 AM
All District

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
It's too bad Massillon has a couple of fanatical bad apples in the boosters who have poisoned football relations with other local schools. Jackson has no incentive to open themselves up to their predation.
Old 10-13-17, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

What predation? Lol.
Old 10-13-17, 01:35 PM
All World

LeopardNation is on a distinguished road
Freshman: Louisville 38, West Branch 30

West Branch Warriors at Louisville Leopards Freshman Football Video Highlights and Recap
Old 10-13-17, 01:52 PM
All American

I would love to see Jackson and Massillon play. 27 years is way too long. Attendance at games county-wide is in the toilet. Games like Massillon-GlenOak, Central-Jackson, and a hypothetical Jackson-Massillon bring interest for the kids and for the county as a whole.

I would love to see Boardman, Central, and Massillon on Jackson's out-of-conference schedule every year. Open with a gimme game.
Old 10-13-17, 02:18 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would love to see Jackson and Massillon play. 27 years is way too long. Attendance at games county-wide is in the toilet. Games like Massillon-GlenOak, Central-Jackson, and a hypothetical Jackson-Massillon bring interest for the kids and for the county as a whole.

I would love to see Boardman, Central, and Massillon on Jackson's out-of-conference schedule every year. Open with a gimme game.
After the novelty wore off in a year or two the attendance for those games would go in the toilet as well. Just the state of society and where high school athletics fits in.
Old 10-13-17, 02:22 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
It's too bad Massillon has a couple of fanatical bad apples in the boosters who have poisoned football relations with other local schools. Jackson has no incentive to open themselves up to their predation.
Totally agree with your first statement. Your second statement is just ridiculous.
Old 10-13-17, 02:23 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Wouldn't a Jackson-Massillon match up be so much more meaningful and entertaining than watching each of them crush two overmatched opponents?

Yappi would probably crash due to all the traffic. It would certainly mean more to the kids and the communities than these yawners will.
Central may be overwhelmed this year but they certainty werent last year or in most years. They are a quality opponent on Jacksons schedule.
Old 10-13-17, 02:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
After the novelty wore off in a year or two the attendance for those games would go in the toilet as well. Just the state of society and where high school athletics fits in.
You're probably right. The thing that is strange to me is that it isn't like there's a ton to do in Stark County. Eat at the same bland chain restaurants or go to bars that are empty after 10? It's not like you're gonna get a DUI leaving an HS FB game (some schools excepted).
Old 10-13-17, 02:56 PM
Building Tradition

Eagle_62 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
The Massillon - GlenOak game has stood the test of time so far.
Old 10-13-17, 07:38 PM
All American

88streaks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry1480 View Post
Lake always plays Perry well. Doesn't matter how down Lake is, they win one or two they shouldn't.
35-0 at half. Not going to happen. Next up....Glenoak(I believe we've lost 6 in a row to them) & Green(won last year, but have lost 2 of the past 3)

Lake has 2-3 very small classes in a row.
Old 10-13-17, 08:15 PM
All American

Quote:
So if Childers doesn't come back or isn't at 100%, there could be trouble. Budd was cagey about it, so we'll see.
Nevermind on this. Childers played tonight and had a good game. Jackson is still beat up but the skill positions at least are intact.

Bears move to 6-2.
Old 10-13-17, 08:16 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nevermind on this. Childers played tonight and had a good game. Jackson is still beat up but the skill players at least are intact.

Bears move to 6-2.
Was mildly surprised at the halftime score. Did Jackson keep things close to the vest?
Old 10-13-17, 08:20 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Was mildly surprised at the halftime score. Did Jackson keep things close to the vest?
A lot of dropped passes again early on plus an INT, so they fed Childers the ball most of the game. Central's offense imploded in the second half, QB was sacked at least 5 times, so they just stuck with it.

Not the greatest opponent but glad to see the defense and running game perform well. Central will be back next year.
Old 10-13-17, 08:38 PM
All American

Don't tell the haters. Great crowd and great game at the TOM.B tonight.
Old 10-13-17, 08:45 PM
All World

THESHADOW14 is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Jackson on 21-7 victory over my Crusaders.

Congrats to Crusaders on playing their hearts out to the last whistle... hold your heads high boys!