Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-12-17, 09:01 PM
All American

Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Give the coaches credit for that play call. Drawn up beautifully. Great throw and catch.
Old 10-12-17, 09:02 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Good lord. Didn't even know they were playing on a Thu, but caught 2OT on the radio. Congrats Boardman!! Wasn't going to say anything until it was over, but F50's projections were ugly with losses to Ursuline and Fitch.

The Spartans march on...

Thanks! Keep winning!
Old 10-12-17, 09:32 PM
Varsity

Football1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan0505 View Post
Give the coaches credit for that play call. Drawn up beautifully. Great throw and catch.
Great game, Hard fought
Old 10-12-17, 09:34 PM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Great game! Congrats Boardman!
Old 10-12-17, 09:36 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm02 View Post
Great game! Congrats Boardman!
good luck tomorrow to your raiders...these scrappy SVC games, just toss the records out
Old 10-12-17, 09:42 PM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
good luck tomorrow to your raiders...these scrappy SVC games, just toss the records out
Thanks! These games are exactly the way they should be. We just need to start winning them, but our day is coming!
Old 10-12-17, 09:47 PM
Freshman

Spartanfan17 is on a distinguished road
I 100% agree but not just Ignazio the whole crew. The Popio defense is out dated and hasn't been working . Plain and simple we got lucky !!! I could see headlines tomorrow if we lost " it was the kids fault ". We can't continue to run 3 and 8 up the middle . What happened to the new offensive coordinator ? Looks like the same old up the middle Boardman football . This has got to be their last year !
Old 10-12-17, 09:51 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanfan17 View Post
I 100% agree but not just Ignazio the whole crew. The Popio defense is out dated and hasn't been working . Plain and simple we got lucky !!! I could see headlines tomorrow if we lost " it was the kids fault ". We can't continue to run 3 and 8 up the middle . What happened to the new offensive coordinator ? Looks like the same old up the middle Boardman football . This has got to be their last year !
I wish they'd call plays like their back was against the wall the whole time. They had good playcalling on that last regulation drive and in OT for the most part. Boardman was aggressive in playcalling all the way up through halftime of the Steubenville game, then they just hit a wall when Ieraci went out.

But Boardman was running well up the middle. Which is why we were all so pissed when they tried a reverse out of the gun on 3rd and 4 from the 6 lol! You have to be wary of a sack or big loss especially knowing we can't kick beyond 25-30 yd FGs.
Old 10-12-17, 09:51 PM
All American

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
I think Boardman has a long way to go if they want to make any noise in the region. Boardman should have won this game by 3 scores. The Irish are way down.
Old 10-12-17, 09:57 PM
All World

All you have to do is look at the teams in Region 7 and if the Spartans aren't playing Massillon or to a lesser extent, Ashland, they're a favorite in any other game.
Old 10-12-17, 10:14 PM
All American

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Sad but true. But without a kicker or a formidable coaching staff will it mean anything? It's a pretty weak region absolutely. The Spartans are one of the more talented team's im R7 without a doubt. I just don't see confidence that Boardman can do what they're suppose to do come playoff time.
Old 10-12-17, 10:23 PM
All World

The coaching staff is frustrating because every now and then you see the talent on display. They went 88 yards in about 90 seconds in what was a beautiful drive. Sometimes it seems they're too conservative. I thought Boardman could have gone for it a few more 4th and 1/2 kind of plays. They were generally controlling the LOS.
Old 10-12-17, 10:33 PM
All American

Coaching will hold this team back. Pickard should be on offense. He is a real weapon with his speed. Why couldn't the play calling be a little more aggressive like on the last drive to tie the game ? Agreed with Popio's defense. Usually they are stout stopping the run and can't defend the pass. They don't have the big kids up front to really stuff the run most times this year. Middle of the defense gets shredded. Frustrating to say the least. But Ignazio probably saved his job with this win.
Old 10-13-17, 12:41 AM
All World

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
What kind of crowd showed up to see "Thursday" night football at Stambaugh?

Not sure if people show up on a Thursday.

Congrats to Boardman on getting the win against a determined Ursuline team.
Glad you guys got it done.
Old 10-13-17, 03:00 AM
All American

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
I seen on tv there was a decent crowd, I personally hate the hs games in that venue, too big
Old 10-13-17, 08:09 AM
All World

SteelValley
Quote:
The coaching staff is frustrating because every now and then you see the talent on display. They went 88 yards in about 90 seconds in what was a beautiful drive. Sometimes it seems they're too conservative. I thought Boardman could have gone for it a few more 4th and 1/2 kind of plays. They were generally controlling the LOS.
Totally agree on this. They basically play not to lose. Boardman was very lucky they even got the ball back with as much time as they did. Ursuline's back running out of bounds a few times saved us over a minute. W/O that we very well may not have won. The defense was not shutting down Ursuline's run game, I'm not sure why on a 4th and 1-2 yards in the middle of the field they felt punting was the best option.

I believe against Canfield they did something similar, with similar field position. We were down a TD or so w/ under 1/2 the quarter to go. We had been struggling to stop Canfield's D and we punt to them.

The D is solid, but this is not a D that you have confidence in they are going to get you a 3 and out even if they know 3 runs are coming.

Boardman needs to bring a Red Zone offensive consultant or something. Their playcalling in the RedZone for the last 4 weeks has been absolutely maddening (that's probably even an understatement). In what world does it make sense to call a reverse from the 5 yard line?? What college team have they ever seen run that from the 5 or where did they get the idea that might be something that made sense in that situation?

The offense overall has just been off and not clicking. Usually teams progress as the year goes on, especially with things gelling on offense. But, this offense peaked vs Jackson on their execution and seems to be regressing each week.

Despite all the above complaining, it was a quality win over a decent team. Ursuline, as always, has some good athletes and size that make them a tough matchup. However, I think they have more coaching issues than we do. Kempe's been questioned by many Ursuline fans I've talked to for a few years and it looks like the rest of their staff is pretty young and inexperienced. Seemed like just a bunch of cheerleader/motivational type coaches out there. With all the importance the 2 parochials locally put on football, I'd think there'd be more urgency from the alums to improve the coaching there. Right now, I think the coaching is the biggest difference between the Mooney/Ursuline's, who are on a little bit of a decline vs the other NE Ohio parochials. Just my 2 cents though from an outsider.

Last edited by SteelValley; 10-13-17 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-13-17, 09:08 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
big win guys. Congrats
Old 10-13-17, 04:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelValley View Post

I believe against Canfield they did something similar, with similar field position. We were down a TD or so w/ under 1/2 the quarter to go. We had been struggling to stop Canfield's D and we punt to them.

Boardman needs to bring a Red Zone offensive consultant or something. Their playcalling in the RedZone for the last 4 weeks has been absolutely maddening (that's probably even an understatement). In what world does it make sense to call a reverse from the 5 yard line?? What college team have they ever seen run that from the 5 or where did they get the idea that might be something that made sense in that situation?

Despite all the above complaining, it was a quality win over a decent team. Ursuline, as always, has some good athletes and size that make them a tough matchup. However, I think they have more coaching issues than we do. Kempe's been questioned by many Ursuline fans I've talked to for a few years and it looks like the rest of their staff is pretty young and inexperienced. Seemed like just a bunch of cheerleader/motivational type coaches out there. With all the importance the 2 parochials locally put on football, I'd think there'd be more urgency from the alums to improve the coaching there. Right now, I think the coaching is the biggest difference between the Mooney/Ursuline's, who are on a little bit of a decline vs the other NE Ohio parochials. Just my 2 cents though from an outsider.
Yeah, it was the series after Canfield kicked a FG to go up 17-7. About 7 mins left Boardman had a 4th and 2 at its own 45 and they punted....That basically was throwing the white flag right there.

Agree about red zone offense. Even in the Jackson game they stumbled a few times in the red zone. But that call was horrible. You can't take a big risk like that knowing you can't kick more than a 30 yard FG. I liked the power shotgun package for O'Horo. Why not run that some more at the very least? Or a jet with Falleti and/or Pickard? I miss the jumbo package we used to run where we'd split 2 linebackers as fullbacks with the tailback behind them and would just run it down the other team's throat. That could probably work with Jennings.

And yeah, the Mooney-Ursuline games are close because you can throw the coaching out the window because everyone is so pumped up. But Ursuline has its "Ursuline lifer" much like we have our own.

Anyway, will be fun watching the region 7 games shake out tonight. We will have a better idea of what Boardman should do/want to do with its last two games after this evening. I suspect that by the end of the year Boardman will be a joint 2nd favorite with Ashland in the Fantastic 50 rankings trailing only Massillon, would be nice to be on the other side of the bracket. Whoever goes on the road to Walnut Ridge or gets Mifflin may have a running clock type of game.
Old 10-13-17, 08:48 PM
All World

Boardman was a 15-14 Harding loss to Mooney shy of hitting the jackpot tonight.

New Albany and Canal Winchester both go down. Spartans should be in a strong 5th headed into week 9. Win both, definitely at home; win one is definitely in. Seeding will be interesting once we have all the results in and can try and figure things out.
Old 10-21-17, 09:27 AM
All American

Amazing how things have just crumbled....
Old 10-21-17, 10:19 AM
Varsity

sshero
This team has too much talent to come out flat week after week. No intensity on the sideline since Steubenville. I'm not a big believer in bashing coaches but changes are needed top to bottom.
Old 10-21-17, 10:35 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshero View Post
This team has too much talent to come out flat week after week. No intensity on the sideline since Steubenville. I'm not a big believer in bashing coaches but changes are needed top to bottom.

Yep. But that's not the Boardman way.
Old 10-21-17, 12:32 PM
All World

1-3 at home. Embarrassing lol. All the principal/school board should do is look at the Region 7 teams and ask Ignazio why we're not up near the top. Seriously. You can lose Joe Ieraci but that is no excuse for coming out flat and with no energy basically every week since.
Old 10-21-17, 12:41 PM
Varsity

sshero
Quote:
1-3 at home. Embarrassing lol. All the principal/school board should do is look at the Region 7 teams and ask Ignazio why we're not up near the top. Seriously. You can lose Joe Ieraci but that is no excuse for coming out flat and with no energy basically every week since.

Exactly!
Old 10-21-17, 12:42 PM
All American

If Ignazio and staff return you are going to have a beautiful stadium with about 1,000 people in it coming soon.
Old 10-21-17, 12:51 PM
All World

Enough people need to say, "we're not donating to Phase 3 until a coaching change is made." The school is asking us to pony up for a program that likely a decent amount of us see as not making that same investment. There already are like 1-2K people around by the time the 4th quarter rolls around when we're losing. There's no excuses for this team on paper not playing in week 12 or 13.

Wouldn't surprise me if they lose to Lakeside, maybe that would start the wheels turning. And since Ignazio was sold as a Boardman lifer, maybe it's fair game to ask why he doesn't even live in town anymore lol.

Also, if Ignazio is going to keep his twitter account public perhaps it shouldn't be littered with gambling related posts. LOL.

Last edited by BHSspartans13; 10-21-17 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-21-17, 01:04 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Wow, that's one putrid region.

Good luck in the playoffs sparty!
Old 10-21-17, 10:27 PM
All American

Watch them win next week, get into the playoffs and Ignazio is off the hook.
Old 10-21-17, 10:32 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan0505 View Post
Watch them win next week, get into the playoffs and Ignazio is off the hook.
Wait for it, Boardman wins, gets the 5th seed, destroys Mifflin on the road, then beats the winner of Columbus Walnut Ridge and Big Walnut to make it to week 13!! Best coach ever LOL
Old 10-22-17, 08:27 AM
All American

Quote:
Wait for it, Boardman wins, gets the 5th seed, destroys Mifflin on the road, then beats the winner of Columbus Walnut Ridge and Big Walnut to make it to week 13!! Best coach ever LOL

Lifetime contract lol. Re name the field after him.