Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-04-17, 04:28 PM
All Region

Bobby Bushay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
It's happening everywhere. High school football simply is not as popular as it once was, and the concussion stuff is only harming the numbers even more.
I think this is part of it and the other part of it is the kids today have way more options than they did ten years ago. I also think that kids are being pushed into specializing in one sport as well by parents and trainers/coaches.

Lots of different things going into the equation that has the numbers low across the board.
Old 10-04-17, 07:35 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Wet turf (Falls still plays on natural grass) should really benefit Falls' style of offense over Berea's...who I think Falls would handle even in dry circumstances.
Old 10-04-17, 07:40 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Bushay View Post
I think this is part of it and the other part of it is the kids today have way more options than they did ten years ago. I also think that kids are being pushed into specializing in one sport as well by parents and trainers/coaches.

Lots of different things going into the equation that has the numbers low across the board.
And never underestimate the relaxing, docile effect of those glowing black rectangles so many kids' hands are surgically attached to.

I think by 2030, all that will exist will be 1) the powerhouse parochial athletic factory schools, 2) club teams will form and work their way into OHSAA acceptance, 3) and the only publics will be the enormous ones (I.e., Mentor), with probably those smaller rural communities (MSML, St. Henry, etc.) still sustaining things.
Old 10-05-17, 08:50 AM
All District

funguy72 is on a distinguished road
Its funny to hear about kids specializing in one sport, but HS coaches are often heard preaching that multiple sport athletes are usually more successful and more recruited. What I find hard to understand is that these same coaches who loudly proclaim the benefits of being a multiple sport athlete, seem to be constantly getting on the kids when they are in season with another sport leaving them unable to train with different sport. (example - a FB player who also plays baseball. The baseball coach wants him to work with team in offseason on baseball skills, but that player is busy playing football. By the time football is done for the day and school work completed and dinner eaten there really is no time for baseball and that coach calls out the multisport athlete as not being dedicated to the sport). I have personally seen it happen, though not in these particular sports. Just using this as an example.
Practice what you preach!
Old 10-05-17, 09:13 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
My only complaint about my son playing multiple sports was he played baseball during the summer and this would not get him into shape to play football, but by the end of football season he would be in pretty good shape. Then wrestling would start and he would get in really good shape. Wrestling over and to baseball we would go and out of shape he would become and then the cycle would happen again. But looking back at his high school sports playing, what fun he had and that is the most important thing about play sports in my opinion.
Old 10-05-17, 12:03 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Wet turf (Falls still plays on natural grass) should really benefit Falls' style of offense over Berea's...who I think Falls would handle even in dry circumstances.
Yep. Looks like weather will be a factor. If it's sloppy, Falls 42-14. Falls grass holds up pretty well, though, as I recall.
Old 10-07-17, 05:48 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThankYouJesus View Post
What are your SPECIFIC expectations? Will the score be as BAD (one-sided) as last year or has BM closed the gap? Will OF score over 50? Will BM score over 50?

In advance, thanks for your insight!
Well I saw your boys last night. That defensive line is an absolute sieve, no one other than #6 can tackle, and they must have picked up 8-10 personal fouls to boot. And that's with two kids named Bachie getting a lot of playing time.

That QB, however: he's a good one. Should be able to play at the next level.
Old 10-07-17, 06:30 AM
All Region

ThankYouJesus is on a distinguished road
So, are they improving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Well I saw your boys last night. That defensive line is an absolute sieve, no one other than #6 can tackle, and they must have picked up 8-10 personal fouls to boot. And that's with two kids named Bachie getting a lot of playing time.

That QB, however: he's a good one. Should be able to play at the next level.
Yes, I agree, and have all along, the offense is well coached and the QB is legit. But C'mon man, is that the worst D1 defense you have seen, since you watched BM last year. At what point does absurd sink in. Has the BM defense improved in any phase of the game in the last 2 years?

All you people that have been taking shots at my evaluation of this defense need to accept how CORRECT I've been..................
Old 10-07-17, 06:34 AM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
Man you are spot on TYJ. You should use capital letters to real show how correct you are. You should also offer some suggestions like you did for Brunswick. Reading your thoughts on the 3-4 defense may just turn things around for BMH.
Old 10-07-17, 08:05 AM
All Region

ESF....................wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.S. Furgeson View Post
Man you are spot on TYJ. You should use capital letters to real show how correct you are. You should also offer some suggestions like you did for Brunswick. Reading your thoughts on the 3-4 defense may just turn things around for BMH.
Only you could still be defending this defensive scheme...........wow!
Old 10-07-17, 08:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Sorry for the delay. No surprises last weekend. Every game went as predicted. There is a big game this week that will probably eliminate one team from the playoff chase, and keep the winner in it.

Week 7. Winners in bold.

Amherst (4-2/3-2) at Avon Lake (4-2/3-2) -- The Shoremen have worked their way back to a nice record. The Comets have been set down by Midview and Olmsted Falls, but they played Falls tough. The winner stays in the D2/R6 playoff chase. The loser is likely eliminated. This is an old SWC rivalry. I think it will be close, but I like the Comets to stay alive.

Lakewood (0-6/0-5) at Avon (6-0/5-0) -- A lot of people are going to choose to watch the Tribe game instead of this one. Avon wins big.

Berea-Midpark (3-3/3-2) at Olmsted Falls (5-1/4-1) -- The Bulldogs, because of the loss to Avon, are sort of flying under the radar, but they had a great win over Brecksville to start the season. The Bulldogs are a very good team and they win against their border buddies.

North Ridgeville (0-6/0-5) at North Olmsted (4-2/3-2) -- The Eagles are in solid playoff contention, led by their great RB Anders. The Rangers are having a very rough season. Eagles soar to victory.

Westlake (0-6/0-5) at Midview (5-1/4-1) -- Avon and Midview in back to back weeks for the Demons. The schedule maker did no favors for Coach Hall. Middies roll.
Interesting Week 7 in the SWC, with the Avon Lake win over Amherst and the North Ridgeville win...their first...over North Olmsted, being very exciting contests for the fans of those schools. A couple more big games this week, as we move toward the playoffs.

Week 8 winners in bold.

North Olmsted (4-3/3-3) at Amherst (4-3/3-3) -- At this point, this is truly a playoff elimination game. The Comets live on for one more week. Two of the SWC's best RB's, Scagliozzo for Amherst and Anders for North Olmsted...both juniors...square off in this battle.

North Ridgeville (1-6/1-5) at Avon (7-0/6-0) -- The Rangers gutted out their first win of the year against the Eagles of North Olmsted. The rival Eagles of Avon are a different bird, though, and should pull away from the Rangers for a win.

Avon Lake (5-2/4-2) at Berea-Midpark (3-4/3-3) -- This is a tough game to pick. B-M showed they can pass on a pretty good D, while the Shoremen picked up a gutty win over a solid Amherst club. This one can go either way, truly, but I'm taking the Shoremen riding the wave of momentum from the thrilling win over Amherst.

Olmsted Falls (6-1/5-1) at Midview (6-1/5-1) -- This should be a slugfest between the two SWC clubs chasing Avon. The Middies are the more well rounded team, in my opinion, and get the win...but Falls will make it tough, as they are fundamentally sound.

Lakewood (0-7/0-6) at Westlake (0-7/0-6) -- Some hard working kids and coaches are going to be happy to get their first win over the season. Jason Hall's Demons will be the bunch smiling after this one.
Old 10-07-17, 01:17 PM
All Region

cjb56???

Quote:
Interesting Week 7 in the SWC, with the Avon Lake win over Amherst and the North Ridgeville win...their first...

Avon Lake (5-2/4-2) at Berea-Midpark (3-4/3-3) -- This is a tough game to pick. B-M showed they can pass on a pretty good D, while the Shoremen picked up a gutty win over a solid Amherst club. This one can go either way, truly, but I'm taking the Shoremen riding the wave of momentum from the thrilling win over Amherst.
What do you think the over-under should be for the AL vs BM game? Were you surprised the Deluca led Bulldogs almost put up 70 against BM again (Tommy must not be happy BM passed on him when he applied?). If BM wins, and AL can win at least one more this year, it will mark the first time in the Hunek era BM will have overcome a team that ends the season with a winning record......can a team like BM that plays little to NO defense compete at the higher end of the league........you really think so?
Old 10-07-17, 02:33 PM
All Region

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Is the Avon Lake vs Berea-Midpark at Baldwin Wallace Univ.?
Old 10-10-17, 09:07 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Is the Avon Lake vs Berea-Midpark at Baldwin Wallace Univ.?
Yes, Finnie
Old 10-12-17, 12:11 PM
All District

MitchVigil is on a distinguished road
Tomorrow is the battle of winless Westlake and Lakewood.
Lakewood hasn't won a game since week 10 of 2015.
Has anyone seen Westlake play this year?
Are they struggling due to graduation of last year's seniors, injuries, or a combination of both?
How realistic are the Rangers chances to win this one?
Old 10-12-17, 12:49 PM
Freshman

Lone Ranger is on a distinguished road
Number? Wins?

Well N Ridgeville is below 38 kids they have started dressing some freshman to make numbers look bigger that what they are. I understand drop off but when the middle school goes from 40+ in each grade to approx 10 in HS, there is a problem and itís not what others have suggested. There is no leadership, no discipline, no integrity at the top. Just take a look the NR head coach and the Westlake head coach are buddies since Massillon. Just a thought, they are both having outstanding careers in their respective schools.
Old 10-12-17, 08:03 PM
All Region

Bobby Bushay is on a distinguished road
^^^^^^

I think you are comparing apples to oranges in your assessment of what is going on at Westlake and NR. Jason Hall has won in almost all his stops and then moved on to better places... Let's be honest, Westlake does not have a history of really being over .500 as their best players end up in Lakewood or Ohio City.

North Ridgeville, that is a whole other bag of worms.... I am not close to that situation but from what I have heard, he is in over his head. Coaches not wanting to be there, kids not sticking it out, and just a lot of unhappiness over there.

Them knowing one another, it really has nothing to do with how both programs are in not doing well. They both are having their own issues but it has nothing to do with them knowing one another. JMO
Old 10-12-17, 08:31 PM
All American

Westlake seems in a rut of getting one hard-nosed class about every 5-6 years. They had a good one last year. They had back-to-back ones the two seasons before DeLuca took the Falls job. In between they really don't have much. I know a big part of it is losing some of their kids who get attracted to Ignatius and Eds. And now StV
Old 10-13-17, 08:23 AM
Freshman

Westlake/NR

Bobby you are prob right that was not quite fair of me to jab at Westlake, Iíve met Hall and he seems like a decent guy, heís done nothing wrong to me but I let frustration shine through. NR on the other hand as whole has adopted the attitude of their head coach. Lack of respect for anyone lack of discipline. There are several good kids on that field and even though there are countless hours of training, you see no progression which tells me the staff has no clue how to train. Kids arenít happy, coaches arenít happy and it wonít be fixed until big changes are made. Even when this program had one of the best RBs in the country, they werenít a playoff team. NR has become a joke in the conference just honestly ask the other coaches in the conference.
Old 10-13-17, 12:33 PM
All District

Lone Ranger - It is a bit of a stretch to call the NR program the joke of the SWC. I will agree that there are several issues within the program, but to say that the # of wins or the # of players is a direct result of this current coaching staff just isn't right. Look at the last few years of Coach Riesens's tenure. Dressing 40ish kids for a Friday night game was common place. This is not a new problem to NR, but one that I believe that Coach Durbin has tried to address by reaching out to the younger grades with multiple football camps throughout the summer.
There are several very good athletes walking the halls that just don't seem to have the heart for the game of football (in my opinion), but will openly say that the reason is that they don't like the coach. Some of those kids have grand illusions of going D1 in another sport and don't want to risk injury from football. If you truly love the game you would never let a coach keep you away or fear of an injury. Just ask the kids of the parents that went to the school board to get the coach fired last year. The coach is still the coach and the boys of those parents are still playing.
Good luck to the Rangers, you will need that and then some tonight against the Avon Eagles.
Old 10-13-17, 10:52 PM
Freshman

N Ridgeville

Avon 19 NR 14. In the end NR loses however it just shows how much talent. r has. Last year they went into OT with Midview but came up short. Good teams find ways to win. Itís too bad that NR has talent but when they get to HS itís wasted. If the program was respectable and moving forward then those kids with D1 aspirations would still play for a solid, respectable, program with the possibility of winning, not consistently coming up short. No itís not true that King Durbin has played those kids of the parents that complained. There is way more to the story than that. I am proud of the kids for their effort against the mighty Avon and Iím sad they have to endure this season.
Tip of the day: Donít tick off the King of a consistently poor program.
Old 10-14-17, 05:42 AM
All Yappi

Wow! Friday the 13th. A crazy night in the SWC (and outside of it too, high school and college). I'll do the recap and projections later today, but the SWC stretch run is a lot more interesting now than it looked at this time last week.
Old 10-14-17, 04:17 PM
All Region

Please explain?

Quote:
Wow! Friday the 13th. A crazy night in the SWC (and outside of it too, high school and college). I'll do the recap and projections later today, but the SWC stretch run is a lot more interesting now than it looked at this time last week.
Okay, I'll bite, why is the stretch run more interesting than last year?
Avon looks unbeatable in the league..............and has all year?
Avon Lake has beaten everyone they should have except for NO, the only real upset in the league this year until maybe the OF/Midview game, but I think OF is better than Midview this year?

Are you surprised that OF beat Midview? Were there negative externalities (not at full strength) for Midview or did OF just play really well? Is the Midview win over Lorain (yes, I know they are 7-1 but haven't really played anyone) better than the OF win over Brecksville.
Old 10-14-17, 04:23 PM
All Region

cjb56

What are your thoughts on the N. Olmsted vs BM game this week, as the winner is clearly the best of the worst teams in the SWC..........and the bottom of the SWC is REALLY bad this year!!!

BM needs a win to show improvement from last year's 3-7 season. The BM defense has given up less points this year, and looking at scores, except for the Avon Lake game early in the season which was an OT win for N.O., BM seems to be the better team? But BM is on the road, at if you don't travel with your defense, it is hard to win in the SWC, is it not?
Old 10-15-17, 09:33 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Interesting Week 7 in the SWC, with the Avon Lake win over Amherst and the North Ridgeville win...their first...over North Olmsted, being very exciting contests for the fans of those schools. A couple more big games this week, as we move toward the playoffs.

Week 8 winners in bold.

North Olmsted (4-3/3-3) at Amherst (4-3/3-3) -- At this point, this is truly a playoff elimination game. The Comets live on for one more week. Two of the SWC's best RB's, Scagliozzo for Amherst and Anders for North Olmsted...both juniors...square off in this battle.

North Ridgeville (1-6/1-5) at Avon (7-0/6-0) -- The Rangers gutted out their first win of the year against the Eagles of North Olmsted. The rival Eagles of Avon are a different bird, though, and should pull away from the Rangers for a win.

Olmsted Falls (6-1/5-1) at Midview (6-1/5-1) -- This should be a slugfest between the two SWC clubs chasing Avon. The Middies are the more well rounded team, in my opinion, and get the win...but Falls will make it tough, as they are fundamentally sound.

Lakewood (0-7/0-6) at Westlake (0-7/0-6) -- Some hard working kids and coaches are going to be happy to get their first win over the season. Jason Hall's Demons will be the bunch smiling after this one.
An interesting Friday the 13th in the SWC to say the least. NR almost hangs Avon with a loss...Olmsted Falls knocks off Midview...Amherst dominates North Olmsted...Avon Lake outlasts B-M...Lakewood gets their first win. I don't know if Week 9 will be as interesting, but there are some good match-ups.

Winners in bold.

Amherst (5-3/4-3) at Avon (8-0/7-0) -- Quite frankly, the Eagles need a game like this...with playoff implications...after the three weeks of facing the SWC bottom and getting a little stale. The Comets, of course, are looking for a playoff spot and will play very hard after the impressive win over North Olmsted. Can Khenedy Scagliozzo do to Avon what Shomari Williams did last week on the ground? Possibly, but Avon gets it done at home.

Olmsted Falls (7-1/6-1) at Avon Lake (6-2/5-2) -- The Shoremen have quietly and methodically improved each week and have put themselves squarely in playoff contention if they can get a win over Falls or Midview in Week 9 or 10. They can win either, and even both, but I think the Bulldogs will keep riding the momentum that carried them over Midview last week.

Berea-Midpark (3-5/3-4) at North Olmsted (4-4/3-4) -- This is a tough game to pick. B-M can score. We all know that. NO can run the ball well at times with Anders. I just sense momentum slipping away from the Eagles season, and the Titans will take advantage and get their fourth win.

Midview (6-2/5-2) at Lakewood (1-7/1-6) -- Congrats to the Rangers for picking up their first victory. They will not pick up number two against an angry bunch of Middies coming off a rare loss.

Westlake (0-8/0-7) at North Ridgeville (1-7/1-6) -- The Rangers gave Avon a scare, have some talent and have played the better SWC teams (save for Midview) pretty close. They also let North Royalton beat them on the last play in Week 1. They have hung in there and will be rewarded with finishing out with two straight wins to end the season. The first one will be over Westlake.
Old 10-15-17, 09:37 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Okay, I'll bite, why is the stretch run more interesting than last year?
Avon looks unbeatable in the league..............and has all year?
Avon Lake has beaten everyone they should have except for NO, the only real upset in the league this year until maybe the OF/Midview game, but I think OF is better than Midview this year?

Are you surprised that OF beat Midview? Were there negative externalities (not at full strength) for Midview or did OF just play really well? Is the Midview win over Lorain (yes, I know they are 7-1 but haven't really played anyone) better than the OF win over Brecksville.
Amherst runs the ball well, and Ridgeville ran it on Avon very well, so that should be interesting.

Midview finally gets beat in the regular season by someone other than Avon.

There is the ongoing lunacy at B-M with the all offense/no defense philosophy.

Avon Lake is quietly in position to get another playoff rematch with Avon in the first round.

Falls is peaking at the right time, and we know what they did last year in the playoffs.

It's just a little more drama than the end of last season had, IMO.
Old 10-15-17, 09:40 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the N. Olmsted vs BM game this week, as the winner is clearly the best of the worst teams in the SWC..........and the bottom of the SWC is REALLY bad this year!!!

BM needs a win to show improvement from last year's 3-7 season. The BM defense has given up less points this year, and looking at scores, except for the Avon Lake game early in the season which was an OT win for N.O., BM seems to be the better team? But BM is on the road, at if you don't travel with your defense, it is hard to win in the SWC, is it not?
My thoughts are in the picks post, but I see a good shot for B-M to finish 4-6. They obviously need to make the D a priority in the offseason. They cannot keep wasting seasons with no real defense. As offensive minded as Avon and Midview are, they both generally play sound defense. B-M needs to get there, or keep suffering subpar seasons.
Old 10-16-17, 11:14 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
Avon 19 NR 14. In the end NR loses however it just shows how much talent. r has. Last year they went into OT with Midview but came up short. Good teams find ways to win. Itís too bad that NR has talent but when they get to HS itís wasted. If the program was respectable and moving forward then those kids with D1 aspirations would still play for a solid, respectable, program with the possibility of winning, not consistently coming up short. No itís not true that King Durbin has played those kids of the parents that complained. There is way more to the story than that. I am proud of the kids for their effort against the mighty Avon and Iím sad they have to endure this season.
Tip of the day: Donít tick off the King of a consistently poor program.
Lone Ranger your statement that indicates that Coach Durbin is not playing the kids from the parents who went to the school board last year is completely false. It shows that you obviously have a vendetta against Coach Durbin. #7's father was very outspoken and he was quoted in the papers last year as going to the school board, meeting with the administrators and trying with great energy to get Coach Durbin fired. I have been to almost all of the games this season and each game I have seen #7 play often. I am not sure if/how much the other very vocal fathers kids play ( I believe he has two boys in the program). Either way I respect the hell out of those parents for allowing their boys to keep doing what they love, even though there are some obvious issues.
You indicate that you are sad that they have to endure this season - I bet that if you ask every coach, player and fan they would say the same thing. They have lost three games this year by 7 points or less and two of those teams (Avon and OF) are most likely making the playoffs in the region.
The funny thing about the kids wanting to play D1 in other sports, probably none of them will and none of that will be the fault of the football coach. Look at the D1 rosters and Pro Rosters - they are filled with kids who have excelled at multiple sports in HS. Any athlete who thinks that focusing on one sport in school is fighting the odds in a big way. Maybe those kids could come out and prove their greatness by being the missing piece in the puzzle to help get the Rangers over the hump, OR maybe its just easier to say how good you could have been as you watch your friends struggle.
I will stand by and wish the Rangers good luck in their next two games. Finishing the season 3-1 with the loss being to the #1 team in the region will be respectable, considering the difficult start.
Old 10-21-17, 07:48 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
The Olmsted Fall vs Avon Lake ended up being a war, with the result ending up the way I predicted. Being a AL alumni (old alumni) I do feel some pride on how hard AL fought and felt bad because they had two chances to win and both slipped away. Great game! I just wish the ending could have been different.
Old 10-21-17, 08:10 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
The Olmsted Fall vs Avon Lake ended up being a war, with the result ending up the way I predicted. Being a AL alumni (old alumni) I do feel some pride on how hard AL fought and felt bad because they had two chances to win and both slipped away. Great game! I just wish the ending could have been different.
That was a gutsy call to go for two in OT. They are capable of beating Midview in Week 10 and getting another shot at Avon in Week 11.