Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-28-17, 11:54 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Where are all the other SWC fans? I know there's a bunch of posters who support the SWC teams. Let's get some opinions, predictions and chatter.
Old 08-28-17, 12:44 PM
All District

funguy72 is on a distinguished road
Until the Rangers (North Ridgeville) can get the numbers up in the program they will struggle as they play so many players both ways. Last years freshman team had fewer than 15 kids on the team and only about 12 moved up this year as sophomores - although just about all 12 seem to be quality players. Having said that, there is a feeling in the program that they can play with any/all teams on their schedule this year.

This week could be a make or break week for the Rangers. The past three years the Rangers have played well in close losses to the Middies. If they play well and win or only lose by a small margin they could be a difficult team to face throughout the year as they will maintain confidence. If they get a butt whooping then Coach Durbin and his staff will have their work cut out for them to keep the program on track for the rest of the year.
Old 08-28-17, 02:03 PM
Freshman

LtFrank is on a distinguished road
Here's my take on 2017:
This season's SWC should shape up to be a close, tough, and exciting Conference. Avon appears to be a clear favorite but they won't be able to coast through too many Fridays this fall.

Unlike some of the recent years, I don't think they'll be such a drastic difference between the top, middle, and bottom of the Conference. Therefore, I expect quite a few surprises though-out the season as they all beat up on each other.

Lots of great skill players graduated last year and more teams are going to focus on defense and the running game. It's going to be a grind - it's going to be real physical. Lots of rivalries have developed. I just hope everyone stays healthy and can make some noise in the Playoffs.
Old 08-28-17, 09:16 PM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Week 2 in the season and Week 1 of SWC play already on tap! Winners in bold.

Amherst (1-0) at Lakewood (0-1) -- The young Comets move to 2-0 with a win at Lakewood.

Avon (1-0) at Olmsted Falls (1-0) -- The big one. Two teams coming off emotional wins. Falls will be tough as nails, but Avon's diversity on offense will get a hard-fought win.

Avon Lake (1-0) at North Olmsted (1-0) -- Someone gets tagged with their first loss, and it will be the Eagles, though it should be close.

Berea-Midpark (0-1) at Westlake (0-1) -- The Titans high-powered offense will score enough to slay the Demons.

North Ridgeville (0-1) at Midview (1-0) -- Two old rivals, so there will be hitting, but the Middies are not going to stumble here.
I'd only switch one game, with Westlake easing one out vs B-M.
Old 09-02-17, 11:14 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtFrank View Post
Here's my take on 2017:
This season's SWC should shape up to be a close, tough, and exciting Conference. Avon appears to be a clear favorite but they won't be able to coast through too many Fridays this fall.

Unlike some of the recent years, I don't think they'll be such a drastic difference between the top, middle, and bottom of the Conference. Therefore, I expect quite a few surprises though-out the season as they all beat up on each other.

Lots of great skill players graduated last year and more teams are going to focus on defense and the running game. It's going to be a grind - it's going to be real physical. Lots of rivalries have developed. I just hope everyone stays healthy and can make some noise in the Playoffs.
I don't think anyone can coast to any win in the SWC, but I do see Avon and Midview as the clear favorites. I had Midview over Falls for second place, and after seeing Falls vs Avon, I'm comfortable that the SWC comes down to Avon vs Midview...again.
Old 09-02-17, 11:21 AM
All Yappi

Week 3. Winners in bold.

North Ridgeville (0-2/0-1) at Amherst (2-0/1-0) -- The young Comets have gotten a taste of winning, and will slug it out with the Rangers, who will not go down easy.

Avon Lake (1-1/0-1) at Avon (2-0/1-0) -- The Eagles have not forgotten Week 11 last season, and will come out fast and furious against the neighbors to the north.

Berea-Midpark (1-1/1-0) at Lakewood (0-2/0-1) -- The Titans score at will.

North Olmsted (2-0/1-0) at Midview (2-0/1-0) -- The big game, but it will not seem as big after the Middies dominate the Eagles.

Olmsted Falls (1-1/0-1) at Westlake (0-2/0-1) -- Bulldogs get back on track and grind out a win over the Demons.
Old 09-02-17, 12:55 PM
Varsity

Hdog is on a distinguished road
Nice 1st week in conference - I was surprised by how dominant Avon and Midview were in their games - especially Midview.

Berea-Midpark has improved on both sides of ball over a year ago. They are more athletic on defense - still making some mistakes on setting the edge - but improved none the less. IMO, they were pretty even with Strongsville - the Titans had 3 huge special teams blunders that lead to easy scores for the Mustangs. In the middle 2 quarters, I believe the Titans had 4 or 5 straight possessions where they got off the field. Encouraging. Westlake is down after losing that big senior class - lots of kids going both ways - they were gassed by the end of the game last night and the Titans could do whatever they wanted.
Old 09-02-17, 04:47 PM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
The backhanded jabs at Avon Lake are entertaining. I hope the eagles don't have a letdown Friday.
Old 09-02-17, 06:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.S. Furgeson View Post
The backhanded jabs at Avon Lake are entertaining. I hope the eagles don't have a letdown Friday.
There are no jabs at Avon Lake. I picked them as a playoff team in the D2/R6 thread. As for the team, the Eagles are always fired up for the Shoremen, but it's no secret they do not like the way last season ended and will be especially fired up this coming Friday.
Old 09-03-17, 10:07 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.S. Furgeson View Post
And I don't think there is any diminishing of this new-ish rivalry on either side. It's always going to be a big game on the schedule for both teams. In fact, it's been moved to Week One next season because it is an awesome way for each team to open up a new season. Keeps them both highly motivated all off-season.

Yes, the Avon kids will be motivated to "avenge" last year's playoff loss to the Shoremen, even though a win this year does absolutely nothing to erase being knocked out of the playoffs early in what was a wide open region. Still, the Avon kids have been fired up for it and will come out strong, as I'm sure the Shoremen will also.
Old 09-05-17, 09:05 AM
All District

Quote:
Week 3. Winners in bold.

North Ridgeville (0-2/0-1) at Amherst (2-0/1-0) -- The young Comets have gotten a taste of winning, and will slug it out with the Rangers, who will not go down easy.

Avon Lake (1-1/0-1) at Avon (2-0/1-0) -- The Eagles have not forgotten Week 11 last season, and will come out fast and furious against the neighbors to the north.

Berea-Midpark (1-1/1-0) at Lakewood (0-2/0-1) -- The Titans score at will.

North Olmsted (2-0/1-0) at Midview (2-0/1-0) -- The big game, but it will not seem as big after the Middies dominate the Eagles.

Olmsted Falls (1-1/0-1) at Westlake (0-2/0-1) -- Bulldogs get back on track and grind out a win over the Demons.
I truly believe that the talent is their for the NR Rangers to compete in the conference each week, they just need to find their heart, play with a sense of pride and stay positive - all easier said than done!
Old 09-06-17, 07:16 AM
Junior Varsity

MY BALL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by funguy72 View Post
I truly believe that the talent is their for the NR Rangers to compete in the conference each week, they just need to find their heart, play with a sense of pride and stay positive - all easier said than done!
NR vs Amherst should be a good game this week. This game should answer a lot of questions about both teams. I'll be watching closely to see if what I see as areas of concern are improving with Amherst.

If Amherst wins, Passerello will match Fishleigh's best win total in a season from his three year stint. Passerello has the team playing hard. After the last 6 years of losing, Amherst needs a successful season to generate some excitement and interest in the football. I think there are around 17 7th graders playing football this year at Amherst.
Old 09-06-17, 08:43 AM
All District

Watching some of the 7th and 8th grade games last night (NR vs Avon), I was impressed with the numbers on the NR side. Each level seemed to have more than 30 kids on the sideline. Getting the kids to come out for Middle School football has not been too much of an issue in NR, convincing them to play in high school that has been the area of concern. Last years Freshman team had something like 15 players on the team, but they had over 35 play together in 8th grade.
It is good to see the Amherst kids playing hard and being successful. The more balance in the conference the better the quality of play will be come playoff time. It seems that with so many SWC in the same region, there could be multiple playoff teams year in and year out.
Old 09-07-17, 12:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdog View Post
Nice 1st week in conference - I was surprised by how dominant Avon and Midview were in their games - especially Midview.

Berea-Midpark has improved on both sides of ball over a year ago. They are more athletic on defense - still making some mistakes on setting the edge - but improved none the less. IMO, they were pretty even with Strongsville - the Titans had 3 huge special teams blunders that lead to easy scores for the Mustangs. In the middle 2 quarters, I believe the Titans had 4 or 5 straight possessions where they got off the field. Encouraging. Westlake is down after losing that big senior class - lots of kids going both ways - they were gassed by the end of the game last night and the Titans could do whatever they wanted.
They still need to learn to play some D over there in Berea. They certainly can score, though.
Old 09-07-17, 12:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY BALL View Post
NR vs Amherst should be a good game this week. This game should answer a lot of questions about both teams. I'll be watching closely to see if what I see as areas of concern are improving with Amherst.

If Amherst wins, Passerello will match Fishleigh's best win total in a season from his three year stint. Passerello has the team playing hard. After the last 6 years of losing, Amherst needs a successful season to generate some excitement and interest in the football. I think there are around 17 7th graders playing football this year at Amherst.
I am very interested in this game. To me, it will show if Amherst is ready to make the leap...or if NR is ready to make a playoff run.
Old 09-09-17, 08:48 AM
All Yappi

Week 4. Winners in bold.

Amherst (3-0/2-0) at Midview (3-0/2-0) -- This should be a fun week in Amherst, as the young Comets gear up for their first big game in years. The Middies will spoil the fun on Friday night, though.

Avon (3-0/2-0) at North Olmsted (2-1/1-1) -- Two Eagles, but only one can win.

Westlake (0-3/0-2) at Avon Lake (1-2/0-2) -- The Shoremen get back on track against an old rival.

Berea-Midpark (2-1/2-0) at North Ridgeville (0-3/0-2) -- The Titans are going to bomb their way to 3-1. The Rangers are a mess, right now.

Lakewood (0-3/0-2) at Olmsted Falls (2-1/1-1) -- The Bulldogs JV's can get some time in this one.
Old 09-11-17, 07:42 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
I am very interested in this game. To me, it will show if Amherst is ready to make the leap...or if NR is ready to make a playoff run.
I was shocked at the number of players in uniform for NR. It stinks for NR as it looks like this will be a long season for them. It was not cool that Amherst kept their starting RB in the game until very late in the game. What good is going to happen doing that? Nothing really answered about Amherst in the game. Hopefully Amherst can keep that damn dingy horn from blowing non-stop at Midiview this Friday and keep that RB rolling. The next three weeks will answer everything about the team.
Old 09-11-17, 09:57 AM
All District

The biggest issue with the NR Rangers is heart and attitude. When a player (allegedly) tells a coach that he will not play on offense no matter what the coach says, that forces the HC into a tough decision. This past week Coach Durbin sat down possibly his best defensive play (#13 inside LB) as a healthy scratch due to disciplinary reasons. The reason from what I heard from a very reliable source is the players refusal to go into the Midview game at FB.
I do not know if this kid playing would have affected the outcome of the Amherst game, but some of those Amherst inside runs might not have been as effective. Either way, the next man up philosophy has to apply.
Many people in the stands could not figure out why Amherst starting offense was still on the field with 3:00 minutes to go in the game and a commanding lead. They seemed to have more than 80 kids dressed for the game, so numbers didn't seem to be an issue.
Old 09-11-17, 10:40 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by funguy72 View Post
The biggest issue with the NR Rangers is heart and attitude. When a player (allegedly) tells a coach that he will not play on offense no matter what the coach says, that forces the HC into a tough decision. This past week Coach Durbin sat down possibly his best defensive play (#13 inside LB) as a healthy scratch due to disciplinary reasons. The reason from what I heard from a very reliable source is the players refusal to go into the Midview game at FB.
I do not know if this kid playing would have affected the outcome of the Amherst game, but some of those Amherst inside runs might not have been as effective. Either way, the next man up philosophy has to apply.
Many people in the stands could not figure out why Amherst starting offense was still on the field with 3:00 minutes to go in the game and a commanding lead. They seemed to have more than 80 kids dressed for the game, so numbers didn't seem to be an issue.
Amherst only had around 65 on roster at the beginning of the year so no way it was even close to 80. My guess is that Amherst in the upper 50's for number of players dressed last week. When Amherst pulls its 1st teams bad things occur. Depth is definitely an issue as they are still a young team. Hopefully NR can get things sorted out. Sounds like your coach handled the situation the right way.
Old 09-13-17, 07:22 AM
All Yappi

Sounds like some problems in North Ridgeville. That's too bad. I thought they might get to the playoffs this year.
Old 09-13-17, 09:11 AM
Retired

I'd guess just 3 playoff teams for SWC this year
Old 09-17-17, 04:59 PM
All Region

ThankYouJesus is on a distinguished road
Maybe you are mistaken, cjb56?

Quote:
I don't think anyone can coast to any win in the SWC............................
Well, looking at the BM scores the last three weeks, I think your prediction is suspect?

In fact, how is it possible everyone is sleeping on BM, given their offensive capabilities!? They just blew out three SWC teams (each with 0-4 records!), 170-64 in the past 3 weeks, when everyone was saying how balanced the SWC is from top to bottom??

So the question of the week is, will BM beat a team this year that ends the season with a winning record, given the style of DEFENSE (or lack there of), which they play??????
Old 09-17-17, 06:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThankYouJesus View Post
Well, looking at the BM scores the last three weeks, I think your prediction is suspect?

In fact, how is it possible everyone is sleeping on BM, given their offensive capabilities!? They just blew out three SWC teams (each with 0-4 records!), 170-64 in the past 3 weeks, when everyone was saying how balanced the SWC is from top to bottom??

So the question of the week is, will BM beat a team this year that ends the season with a winning record, given the style of DEFENSE (or lack there of), which they play??????
Not Avon or Midview. Probably not Falls, either. The others are all in one lump, as a group, where any can win...except Lakewood...on a given Friday night. There is certainly a chance B-M could "lead" that pack and even qualify for the playoffs. A lot of it is the SWC playing itself, though, so somebody in the SWC has to win every Week 2-10 game. That's why it's so hard to gauge the SWC teams capabilities at playoff time, because they haven't played enough teams outside the league to show the actual strength, or weakness, of the league.
Old 09-17-17, 06:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Week 4. Winners in bold.

Amherst (3-0/2-0) at Midview (3-0/2-0) -- This should be a fun week in Amherst, as the young Comets gear up for their first big game in years. The Middies will spoil the fun on Friday night, though.

Avon (3-0/2-0) at North Olmsted (2-1/1-1) -- Two Eagles, but only one can win.

Westlake (0-3/0-2) at Avon Lake (1-2/0-2) -- The Shoremen get back on track against an old rival.

Berea-Midpark (2-1/2-0) at North Ridgeville (0-3/0-2) -- The Titans are going to bomb their way to 3-1. The Rangers are a mess, right now.

Lakewood (0-3/0-2) at Olmsted Falls (2-1/1-1) -- The Bulldogs JV's can get some time in this one.
Week 4 was predictable. On to Week 5! Winners in bold.

Amherst (3-1/2-1) at Berea-Midpark (3-1/3-0) -- The two feel good stories of the season, so far. This is a critical game if either of these two are to make the playoffs. I like the Titans' prolific offense to prevail.

Midview (4-0/3-0) at Avon (4-0/3-0) -- The big one! This should be the typical war between these two rivals. As much as I like the make up of the Middies team, I have to see them beat Avon without Dustin Crum before I can really appreciate their chances. I like Avon's QB, Pat Maloy, to shine in this one, just enough for the Eagles to win.

Avon Lake (2-2/1-2) at Lakewood (0-4/0-3) -- The Shoremen even up their record in the SWC play and for a playoff push.

Westlake (0-4/0-3) at North Olmsted (2-2/1-2) -- The Eagles keep pace in the D2/R6 playoff chase.

North Ridgeville (0-4/0-3) at Olmsted Falls (3-1/2-1) -- At some point the Rangers will wake up and play better, but the Bulldogs are winning this one regardless.
Old 09-17-17, 09:09 PM
Retired

Disappointed in Westlake. Still not a believer in Marion L. Steele. Your picks are right on.
Old 09-18-17, 08:19 AM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Disappointed in Westlake. Still not a believer in Marion L. Steele. Your picks are right on.
Agreed. We will find out exactly where the Comets stack up after this week.
Old 09-18-17, 08:23 AM
All Region

In D1R1???????????????????????????

Quote:
Not Avon or Midview. Probably not Falls, either. There is certainly a chance B-M could "lead" that pack and even qualify for the playoffs.
Seems unlikely, REALLY UNLIKELY, if you can't beat teams with a winning record, that you could qualify in D1R1??????????????????????????????????????
Old 09-18-17, 08:33 AM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThankYouJesus View Post
Seems unlikely, REALLY UNLIKELY, if you can't beat teams with a winning record, that you could qualify in D1R1??????????????????????????????????????
It would be real tough to do so in R1.

Remind those of us following this thread of the ax you have grinding about Berea-Midpark's (defensive?) coaching staff, so that we have more insight. I vaguely recalling you just burying the new staff last year on some other thread.
Old 09-18-17, 10:09 AM
Varsity

Hdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
It would be real tough to do so in R1.

Remind those of us following this thread of the ax you have grinding about Berea-Midpark's (defensive?) coaching staff, so that we have more insight. I vaguely recalling you just burying the new staff last year on some other thread.
Lol. Thanks Myron – everything was going just fine in this thread early on in the season.

N Ridgeville has arguably the best two players BM has faced to date - #13 Malone and #32 Shomari Williams [212 yards on 33 carries]. I would be surprised if there are many more kids more talented than those two in the entire SWC. The Ranger fans were shouting out “suggestions” to the coaching staff throughout the game. It has to be tough in that locker room right now.

Wish I could be at both Midview v Avon and BM v Steele games. The Middies v Eagles is gonna be a whale of a game. Hard to predict, but I think Avon earns a win in a close, hard fought game.

TYJ – what is your score prediction for the Steele v BM game? The Titans are highly motivated for this week and I think they will play very well.
Old 09-18-17, 10:53 AM
All Region

The winner will be the team that scores the most!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdog View Post
Lol. Thanks Myron – everything was going just fine in this thread early on in the season. TYJ – what is your score prediction for the Steele v BM game? The Titans are highly motivated for this week and I think they will play very well.
51-50!

The winner will be the first team to 51??

If that isn't BM there should be an immediate investigation as to why????