Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-26-17, 06:27 AM
Junior Varsity

Broadway Joe is on a distinguished road
Drew Pasteur has been extremely accurate over the years, especially with the volume in which he deals. 8-2 and we get a home game, almost certain. I think we get in at 7-3 for sure, 6-4 and you just made your own bed.
Old 09-26-17, 08:53 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Still think Playoffs are too close to call because of the conference games teams like Green, Brecksville, Twinsburg, and Bedford have coming up. Bottom line is Benny has a real toss up game this Friday against a highly motivated opponent looking to avenge a game they thought they should have won LY. Notre Dame Academy believes this is their year and from what I have heard their players have confidence that they are better than Benedictine. Region 9 is a new place without Benny and Hoban and their athletes giving the Lions match up issues. With SVSM not pushing anyone around on offense TY NDA can smell a potential Regional Title and they are focused side with a team of football players, reminds me a lot of the Bay teams a few years back.
Old 09-27-17, 02:55 PM
All Yappi

Video of the Freshmen game against Lorain>

FYI, this was the Lorain Frosh's 1st loss of the year.
Old 09-27-17, 05:29 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Still think Playoffs are too close to call because of the conference games teams like Green, Brecksville, Twinsburg, and Bedford have coming up. Bottom line is Benny has a real toss up game this Friday against a highly motivated opponent looking to avenge a game they thought they should have won LY. Notre Dame Academy believes this is their year and from what I have heard their players have confidence that they are better than Benedictine. Region 9 is a new place without Benny and Hoban and their athletes giving the Lions match up issues. With SVSM not pushing anyone around on offense TY NDA can smell a potential Regional Title and they are focused side with a team of football players, reminds me a lot of the Bay teams a few years back.
I wholeheartedly approve of this post.
Old 09-30-17, 08:20 AM
All Ohio

Findy15 is on a distinguished road
Nice win by the Bengals. Remember boys, Keep up the intensity from start to finish and anything can happen!
Old 09-30-17, 08:55 AM
All District

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
This group does a great job on sticking around and finding ways to win the close ones. Big improvement from last seasons tight game scenarios.
Old 09-30-17, 09:13 AM
Varsity

bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Nice win. Bengals are putting to sleep all the questions from the preseason. Best side note of a 5-1 record is that it keeps those haters (RedBlue, Ora et Labora, and Fat Old Bengal) mouths shut. Go Bengals
Old 09-30-17, 05:18 PM
Varsity

ene456 is on a distinguished road
Varsity 5-1, and mostly healthy. Over 60 frosh in the program, and they haven't lost. Great Start for Coach Welo!
Old 10-02-17, 06:38 AM
Junior Varsity

Critics come and go, true fans stay the course.
Good job Bengals, keep it going. Last year proved as a testing ground of your character with the close game losses. This season, you're reaping the rewards of hard work and dedication. But we all know, it's still early, big things ahead if you want it boys. Go get it!!!
Old 10-02-17, 08:16 AM
All Yappi

Nice character building win for the Bengals, that was a tough motivated opponent and Benny pulled out the W. It appears that the defense is solid and can keep Benny in most games, special teams were also a big part of the win with the Freshmen kicker coming through in his 1st taste of varsity action. The offense though is too reliant on the pass and their inability to run the ball will cost them in the future, especially when the weather starts to get bad. Any takes on why the running game is so challenged midway through the season? How much of it is on the OL or is it the RBs? Just thinking out loud but maybe give one of the freshmen stud RBs a chance to see if it can spark the ground game?

For those that have not seen it yet here is the kick that tied the game>

Old 10-03-17, 06:35 AM
Junior Varsity

I love how they use bubble screens, its basically a running play, and they have been getting nice chunks of yards using it. I couldn't agree more though, you have to run inside the tackles when it comes playoff time with the weather. I don't think they have fallen in love with throwing vs. running, I just think this WR corps has been a matchup nightmare to opposing secondaries. You don't have a linebacker we have seen yet that can run with the slot guys, anytime they do that swing pass/bubble screen, it's 7+ yards. Then you have Fox, who nobody wants to cover 1on1, Jefferson is a nice athlete. I think they are playing to the strengths of our team, and the weakness of the other teams. I think these boys are battle tested from last year, you can expect a fight to the finish with this squad. Keep it up Bengals, we are behind you!!!!
Old 10-05-17, 02:30 PM
All District

TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Joe View Post
I love how they use bubble screens, its basically a running play, and they have been getting nice chunks of yards using it. I couldn't agree more though, you have to run inside the tackles when it comes playoff time with the weather. I don't think they have fallen in love with throwing vs. running, I just think this WR corps has been a matchup nightmare to opposing secondaries. You don't have a linebacker we have seen yet that can run with the slot guys, anytime they do that swing pass/bubble screen, it's 7+ yards. Then you have Fox, who nobody wants to cover 1on1, Jefferson is a nice athlete. I think they are playing to the strengths of our team, and the weakness of the other teams. I think these boys are battle tested from last year, you can expect a fight to the finish with this squad. Keep it up Bengals, we are behind you!!!!
Quite honestly. Have you watched the O-Line play? Average at best. All of the bubble screens & quick passes are to help set up the inside runs.
Usually it's the other way around.
Old 10-06-17, 07:03 AM
All Yappi

So Benny is playing Lake Catholic and not a peep from anyone. Back in the day this was one of the biggest games on the schedule and there would be a lot of back and forth between Bengal fans and Cougar fans. Not sure what to make of Lake's season as I'm sure they were expecting better then 3-3 at this point and those Ws are over CCC, Holy Name and get this, Royal Imperial Collegiate from Canada. A far cry from the schedule they use to play. The Times They Are A-Changin'
Old 10-06-17, 07:24 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone 22 View Post
Quite honestly. Have you watched the O-Line play? Average at best. All of the bubble screens & quick passes are to help set up the inside runs.
Usually it's the other way around.
My exact point, get the ball out quick, helping to get to the edge without worrying about a breakdown on the interior.
Old 10-06-17, 07:27 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
So Benny is playing Lake Catholic and not a peep from anyone. Back in the day this was one of the biggest games on the schedule and there would be a lot of back and forth between Bengal fans and Cougar fans. Not sure what to make of Lake's season as I'm sure they were expecting better then 3-3 at this point and those Ws are over CCC, Holy Name and get this, Royal Imperial Collegiate from Canada. A far cry from the schedule they use to play. The Times They Are A-Changin'
Lake Catholic is always a formidable opponent, much respect for them. 3-3, with those wins, doesn't look like much. But we all know better, the Cougars will be hungry when they see the Home of Champions on the schedule. Good luck tonight to the Bengals, hold on to the ball, and play fast.
Old 10-06-17, 10:47 AM
All World

lchsman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Unfortunately, I can’t remember the last time I started an LC game thread. The 3 or 4 LC posters that were here, are long gone now. Those were the good old days. How I miss all of those classic LC/Benedictine games. This was one game that I always looked forward to. So many great games between these schools, mostly during the Bell era. Let’s not talk about 1996.

Lake Catholic and Benedictine have played 26 times with the Cougars holding a 16-10 advantage in the series. LC defeated the Bengals 27-20 last year in Mentor.
Old 10-06-17, 03:30 PM
All Ohio

Findy15 is on a distinguished road
Hope the team isn't taking Lake Catholic to lightly. This is a real trap game for the Bengals.
Please Do Not Look Past Lake Catholic. If you do it could be a long night for the Bengals.
Old 10-06-17, 03:42 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchsman View Post
Unfortunately, I canít remember the last time I started an LC game thread. The 3 or 4 LC posters that were here, are long gone now. Those were the good old days. How I miss all of those classic LC/Benedictine games. This was one game that I always looked forward to. So many great games between these schools, mostly during the Bell era. Letís not talk about 1996.

Lake Catholic and Benedictine have played 26 times with the Cougars holding a 16-10 advantage in the series. LC defeated the Bengals 27-20 last year in Mentor.
For some period Lake was the closest Benedictine had to a true rival, IMO.
Old 10-06-17, 09:18 PM
All Region

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Talk about laying an egg. To only score 7 points vs that LC defense is shocking.
Old 10-06-17, 09:54 PM
All Yappi

Yuck. No run game comes back to bite the Bengals.
Old 10-07-17, 01:43 PM
All World

Well, I was pleasantly surprised last night. LC turned the ball over 5 times in the first half and was only down 7-3. Yes, Benedictine needs to figure out their running game as I don’t believe they had more than 50 yards rushing. Their offensive line however needs a lot of work. But what really surprised me most, was LC’s success running the ball. This was not the same Benedictine defense I watched the week prior against NDCL. The Cougars pretty much moved up and down the field all night. Nearly 350 yards rushing, and almost 500 yards of offense. That’s what I couldn’t believe. 3 of the 5 turnovers were deep in Benedictine territory. This game actually could’ve been much worse.

With the LC upset last night, next weeks NDCL/LC game just got pretty big and for the first time in a long time, maybe even deserving of a game thread, and dare I say, playoff implications. Really a must win for both teams. The loser of this game will not make the playoffs. No doubt NDCL is the favorite, but the Cougars have to be feeling much better waking up this morning. Glad it’s at the JTO.

Good luck to the Bengals the rest of the way.

Last edited by lchsman; 10-08-17 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-07-17, 02:04 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
For some period Lake was the closest Benedictine had to a true rival, IMO.
Couldnít agree more. I much more looked forward to playing Benedictine than NDCL. Even the playoff games were great. Never wanted to see you guys in the playoffs to be honest though.

Much respect for the Bengal program from this LC guy.
Old 10-09-17, 04:52 PM
All District

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Freshman game vs Padua has been cancelled. Any word on what happened? I have heard a few altering versions.
Old 10-11-17, 02:53 PM
All District

TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
Freshman cancellation sounds like the double whammy. Teach the freshman a lesson. Good game to instill a lesson. Padua's freshman team is average at best.
Old 10-11-17, 04:14 PM
Moderated User

RedBlue has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Teach them a lesson about what?
Old 10-13-17, 06:11 AM
Freshman

BBFootballguy is on a distinguished road
Recruits

Not trying to be negative, but I've heard we have kids playing Varsity that are being recruited by college coaches, standing on our sidelines because our coaches don't think they are good enough to play high school? We've had college coaches come to games to watch these kids play, calling the school to see if there is some kind of problem they don't know about? Also, some are being recruited for completely different positions than we are using them at, some even on the wrong side of the ball? Is there a problem evaluating talent with our current coaching staff? I would think their #1 priority would be developing these kids and helping them move on to the next level?
Old 10-13-17, 08:03 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFootballguy View Post
Not trying to be negative, but I've heard we have kids playing Varsity that are being recruited by college coaches, standing on our sidelines because our coaches don't think they are good enough to play high school? We've had college coaches come to games to watch these kids play, calling the school to see if there is some kind of problem they don't know about? Also, some are being recruited for completely different positions than we are using them at, some even on the wrong side of the ball? Is there a problem evaluating talent with our current coaching staff? I would think their #1 priority would be developing these kids and helping them move on to the next level?

This is a ludicrous post ^^^

First off, I'd love to know what college coaches and who they are coming to see that is not playing. I've seen what is on the sidelines, and I've been around a long time, they aren't standing on Benedictine's sidelines.

Next, if you are talking about a college where almost anyone is taken to boost numbers (Hiram), your point is invalid. Trust me when I tell you, there aren't Div.1/1aa, or D2 coaches coming to see sideline guys. The only reason a kid with true college potential isn't somewhere on the field this year is, grades or discipline.

And next, this is Benedictine HS, you play where you are needed to help the team. I've watched 185 lbs kids playing guard because that's where we needed the help. If a college coach is recruiting you for a different position, that's on them to figure how they correlate. There is not 1 college coach that I know that doesn't know how to evaluate skills/talents and see them fit 2 or 3 different positions or say pass.
Old 10-13-17, 08:41 AM
All Ohio

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Joe View Post
This is a ludicrous post ^^^

First off, I'd love to know what college coaches and who they are coming to see that is not playing. I've seen what is on the sidelines, and I've been around a long time, they aren't standing on Benedictine's sidelines.

Next, if you are talking about a college where almost anyone is taken to boost numbers (Hiram), your point is invalid. Trust me when I tell you, there aren't Div.1/1aa, or D2 coaches coming to see sideline guys. The only reason a kid with true college potential isn't somewhere on the field this year is, grades or discipline.

And next, this is Benedictine HS, you play where you are needed to help the team. I've watched 185 lbs kids playing guard because that's where we needed the help. If a college coach is recruiting you for a different position, that's on them to figure how they correlate. There is not 1 college coach that I know that doesn't know how to evaluate skills/talents and see them fit 2 or 3 different positions or say pass.
Joe you are correct in all of this.
I read the original post and thought immediately it was a HS kid spouting off about himself or a buddy....it was the first post by the guy lol.
Completely clueless in everyway.
Old 10-13-17, 12:11 PM
Freshman

BBFootballguy is on a distinguished road
OK, allow me to be more "ludicrous" for a moment. Cross is one. Apparently ran a 4.3 40 at some combine somewhere and caught everything thrown at him, is being recruited as a receiver, playing corner for us and didn't see the field until game 4 at that. Kirk is another, being looked at as a LB and possible RB, playing the line for us. I could go on and on but the last example I'll give, O'Donnell, the freshman QB that got pulled up to Varsity a couple of years ago, quit the team and is only playing baseball because they put him at DE.

Like I said, I didn't intend to be negative, just asking the question. Is it possible that maybe we have some kids at the wrong positions and not playing as much as they should? I realize there may be other issues that I am unaware of such as grades and disciplinary problems, I was just asking the question. Perhaps I phrased it wrong by asking if our coaches have difficulty evaluating talent? That sounds negative and it wasn't my intention.

I know Reese got blackballed last year as having an "attitude problem", and while his grades weren't the best either, I don't believe anybody can dispute he was a D1 level kid on the field. Hell, it's no secret that Baker had to scramble to barely graduate before he went to OSU, so that should have been a problem that got solved.

Some kids have no desire to play after HS, others do, and others are depending on it. I merely asked, shouldn't it be priority #1 to develop those who want to play and help them move on to the next level? You might want to demean a kid playing D3, but personality I have a lot of respect for those kids. They are playing because they love the game, not because their education is being paid for by it.

Last edited by BBFootballguy; 10-13-17 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-13-17, 01:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFootballguy View Post
OK, allow me to be more "ludicrous" for a moment. Cross is one. Apparently ran a 4.3 40 at some combine somewhere and caught everything thrown at him, is being recruited as a receiver, playing corner for us and didn't see the field until game 4 at that. Kirk is another, being looked at as a LB and possible RB, playing the line for us. I could go on and on but the last example I'll give, O'Donnell, the freshman QB that got pulled up to Varsity a couple of years ago, quit the team and is only playing baseball because they put him at DE.

Like I said, I didn't intend to be negative, just asking the question. Is it possible that maybe we have some kids at the wrong positions and not playing as much as they should? I realize there may be other issues that I am unaware of such as grades and disciplinary problems, I was just asking the question. Perhaps I phrased it wrong by asking if our coaches have difficulty evaluating talent? That sounds negative and it wasn't my intention.

I know Reese got blackballed last year as having an "attitude problem", and while his grades weren't the best either, I don't believe anybody can dispute he was a D1 level kid on the field. Hell, it's no secret that Baker had to scramble to barely graduate before he went to OSU, so that should have been a problem that got solved.

Some kids have no desire to play after HS, others do, and others are depending on it. I merely asked, shouldn't it be priority #1 to develop those who want to play and help them move on to the next level. You might want to demean a kid playing D3, but personality I have a lot of respect for those kids. They are playing because they love the game, not because their education is being paid for by it.
While no defender of Welo he is trying to win games and his job is to put the players in the best positions to achieve this goal. A couple general thoughts on the above:

- 40 times on this board are beyond urban legend. Here are the top times from this past NFL combine: http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-perfo...-LB-CB-OL-SPEC Only 10 guys broke 4.4 and #1 set the record this past spring; they had been training for this event as a full time job with the best possible coaches in the country for months. That kind of says it all about that one case.

- Another player mentioned is at best 5'8", he could play Div III. While a tough kid that plays hard I would hope he would do what is best for his team to win games his Senior year and show any interested Div III program that he is a great team player that can do what is needed to win football games.

- Certain positions are dependent on the system and what is the best fit, maybe a player in a simplified Frosh system didn't mesh with what they are trying to do at the same spot on varsity?

Kind of interesting that these circumstances were mentioned for a program like Benedictine, this sounds like something you would hear from a sub .500 suburban public program. I think when you sign up for a program like Benedictine you have to realize that you are going to be possibly moved around to win games. Now if they are not winning games due to these personnel decisions that is one thing but my guess is they don't have the best fits for certain positions so they have to move some players around. Stinks sometimes but that is what being in a program like Benny is all about.