Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-29-17, 08:41 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Joe View Post
I know some of you old grumps won't like this, because apparently you want the bengals to lose so we can get a better draft pick or something. However, congrats on a week 1 win Bengal nation, look who cracked the top 25!!!

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...f-2017-season/
While I am not a grump I am a realist, if you give up 29 points to a down Ursuline program this is not a top 25 team.
Old 08-29-17, 09:18 AM
All District

TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I know some of you old grumps won't like this, because apparently you want the bengals to lose so we can get a better draft pick or something. However, congrats on a week 1 win Bengal nation, look who cracked the top 25!!!

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...f-2017-season/
Not to take anything away from a win. But, the Plain Dealer rankings mean nothing most of the time. It's a popularity contest. Not a true ranking. On top of it all... Benedictine is still behind Padua in the rankings. I wouldn't get to excited about the "cracking of the top 25" This is in no way a slam to the program, as it is on the way up. Wait for a few games to determine Top 25 status.
Old 08-29-17, 09:36 AM
All District

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone 22 View Post
Not to take anything away from a win. But, the Plain Dealer rankings mean nothing most of the time. It's a popularity contest. Not a true ranking. On top of it all... Benedictine is still behind Padua in the rankings. I wouldn't get to excited about the "cracking of the top 25" This is in no way a slam to the program, as it is on the way up. Wait for a few games to determine Top 25 status.
What does being behind Padua have to do with this? I'm not getting why that's brought up.
Old 08-29-17, 10:17 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fac974 View Post
What does being behind Padua have to do with this? I'm not getting why that's brought up.
Padua will be connected to Benny for the foreseeable future due to the coaching situation.

But if I am Padua I would not be getting all too high on myself just yet, Woodbridge could be highly overrated so that W may not be as impressive as the PD makes it out to be. There is a good chance that the Bruins will be 6-0 as they work through what looks like an easy schedule before heading into the meat of their NCL schedule starting with a possible program changing game at Hoban. I remember LY when they looked like a lock for the playoffs only to wilt under the pressure of the situation...
Old 08-29-17, 12:01 PM
Varsity

Broadway Joe is on a distinguished road
I knew I should have never brought it up with this crowd, #1 or die, state champs or no xmas gifts, hahaha. It's a step in the right direction, great for the boys. You never know what a little confidence boost can do for the rest of the season. And who says Ursuline is really down? A Yappi know it all? Ursuline still better than most schools up here, in down years.
Old 08-29-17, 03:02 PM
All Region

Bennyman
A win is a win................

enjoy it, people. Doesn't matter if it's by 1 point or 42. The only time the differential matters is when the Bengals play a rival (52-16), but that doesn't happen that often. Go Bengals!!!
Old 08-30-17, 10:27 AM
All Yappi

Been too long Bennyman, hope all is well.
Old 08-30-17, 12:46 PM
Varsity

Auggie, what's the realist in you say for the outcome this week?
Old 08-30-17, 01:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Auggie, what's the realist in you say for the outcome this week?
To be honest no clue. You would think Benny easy but then again it HS football so you never know this early in the season. If I was setting a line I would start it at Benny-9 and see where it goes
Old 08-30-17, 02:32 PM
Freshman

Vin7865 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Padua will be connected to Benny for the foreseeable future due to the coaching situation.

But if I am Padua I would not be getting all too high on myself just yet, Woodbridge could be highly overrated so that W may not be as impressive as the PD makes it out to be. There is a good chance that the Bruins will be 6-0 as they work through what looks like an easy schedule before heading into the meat of their NCL schedule starting with a possible program changing game at Hoban. I remember LY when they looked like a lock for the playoffs only to wilt under the pressure of the situation...
Wilted under pressure?!?! Hahahaha They went 1-9 the year before and their QB got sick and missed the last 2 games and the first month of hoops practice. The delusion on this thread is so fantastic lol
Old 08-30-17, 03:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin7865 View Post
Wilted under pressure?!?! Hahahaha They went 1-9 the year before and their QB got sick and missed the last 2 games and the first month of hoops practice. The delusion on this thread is so fantastic lol
Yes they did wilt, you can come up with any type of excuse you want but you would think someone would pick up the slack and lead the team to a winning record for the 1st time in a long time. 1-3 over the last 4 games after starting 4-2 is a disappointing finish anyway you look at it. But let's look at the Bruins this year; start a thread and I will be more than happy to visit it, especially as the hype builds when this team rolls through the 1st 6 games of the schedule before hitting the same 4 opponents in NCL play that they went 1-3 LY. Maybe PB will make an appearance again from NC to lend some intelligent Bruin perspective to the conversation.
Old 08-30-17, 03:37 PM
All District

TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin7865 View Post
Since 1980 what has Padua ever done on the football field??? Nothing. When making the playoffs they are usually 1 & done. Lucky for you that they finally got it right signing Polvasik as HC. But give it time, you guys will be back to normal.
Old 08-30-17, 03:50 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone 22 View Post
Since 1980 what has Padua ever done on the football field??? Nothing. When making the playoffs they are usually 1 & done. Lucky for you that they finally got it right signing Polvasik as HC. But give it time, you guys will be back to normal.
Padua has a huge line this year. They will wear teams down. They are not a bunch of fat guys either. They will be tough this year.
Old 09-01-17, 10:18 PM
Varsity

ene456 is on a distinguished road
2-0.
Old 09-02-17, 11:26 AM
All Region

The Working Man is on a distinguished road
D-Line was solid. Only touchdown allowed was on the kickoff return. I'll take it.
Old 09-02-17, 01:37 PM
All District

It's good to see Carter and the bengals looking good in the easy part of the schedule. Hopefully they continue to build momentum and carrying it into the meat grinder league play down the road.
Old 09-04-17, 05:08 PM
All Region

Bennyman
Is this a Padua thread?

Or a Benedictine thread? In any event, the Bengals are 2-0, and the Bruins are 2-0 (I think), and it will get interesting later in the season. Wishing both teams well until we meet. Just nice to see the Bengals competitive, winning and generating "smack" on line. Nice to see. Lots of people are happy about that. All is well with the world; last week, we had a game of Mooney vs Hoban; an absolute win-win for me; one of those schools had to lose, which is a beautiful thing. Have to admit that I'm happy the way it turned out. (52-16).
Old 09-07-17, 07:39 AM
Varsity

Big game tomorrow, any predictions?
Bengals 24-17
Old 09-08-17, 07:23 AM
All Yappi

The Heights game is actually Saturday, my guess is that there will be a sparse crowd as Heights doesn't travel well and there is a big tOSU game on the tube Saturday night.

As for the game this is a potential trap game for Benny, the Bengals should be the favorite but a lot of these kids know each other and Heights will be hungry for their 1st W. Key for Benny will be their ability to stay focused and not try to get in a shoot out like last year, defense will need to play more disciplined like the Buchtel game and keep everything in front of them.
Old 09-08-17, 04:18 PM
All District

TRBengal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Jerome Baker is named to SI's 2017 Preseason All-America 1st Team: https://www.si.com/college-football/...l-america-team

With apologies to Larry Zelina backers Baker will go down as the GOAT to come out of Benedictine.

Larry Zelina. The East Senate may have been a cakewalk for Benedictine in most seasons, but Larry rarely played beyond the first series or two in the third quarter. Still, the Iggy, Latin, and for a few seasons, South High teams of the '60's could have beaten anybody our Bengals played during Jerome's years.

Larry was a graceful athlete along the lines of (but not as great as) a Paul Warfield. Seemingly effortless play, gliding, never seen dropping a pass, and didn't play as soft as Jerome. Ray and Sean Lucas are the only backs that I've seen since '62 who could "glide" like Larry; running full speed with little head movement.

The GOAT conversations would be great with all classes represented, soaking in a few pitchers of suds.
Old 09-08-17, 05:13 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The Heights game is actually Saturday, my guess is that there will be a sparse crowd as Heights doesn't travel well and there is a big tOSU game on the tube Saturday night.

As for the game this is a potential trap game for Benny, the Bengals should be the favorite but a lot of these kids know each other and Heights will be hungry for their 1st W. Key for Benny will be their ability to stay focused and not try to get in a shoot out like last year, defense will need to play more disciplined like the Buchtel game and keep everything in front of them.
Heights hasn't won a game; They will be in desperation mode knowing that they have a thin margin for error from here on out.
Old 09-09-17, 10:07 AM
Freshman

TheRule is on a distinguished road
If Benedictine can win tonight they will have already matched Ora et Labora's idiotic prediction of 3 wins this season.

He's been awfully quiet lately. Of course if they lose the tough guy behind the keyboard will suddenly reemerge.
Old 09-09-17, 09:30 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ora et labora View Post
I see no better than 3-7
I guess one more week without any more great posts or prognostications from Mr 3-7.....maybe Erie Prep will come through so you can post again?
Old 09-09-17, 10:54 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Congrat Benny made playoffs
Old 09-10-17, 11:49 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Congrat Benny made playoffs
You'll have to speak up!

I can barely hear you from the cellar of Region 5!
Old 09-11-17, 06:14 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRule View Post
I guess one more week without any more great posts or prognostications from Mr 3-7.....maybe Erie Prep will come through so you can post again?
I like when "Ole Grumpy" is neither seen, nor heard. Keep it going boys, silence your critics with performance!!! Go Bengals!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-17, 07:51 AM
Varsity

ene456 is on a distinguished road
3-0. Tough one this week though!
Old 09-11-17, 08:03 AM
All Yappi

Nice start to the season but the 1st real test on where this team stands occurs this Friday in Erie. Cathedral Prep is the real deal with three wins by a combined 141-14 score and big lines featuring a Penn State recruit, Benny will be a double digit underdog in this one against a team that has State Title aspirations. Let's face it, the 1st three opponents on the schedule are not that great this year so we will know a lot more about the 2017 Bengals by how they respond in a hostile environment to a quality team.
Old 09-11-17, 08:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRule View Post

You'll have to speak up!

I can barely hear you from the cellar of Region 5!
Speaking of Region 5... So far it is very down this year, Benny sitting at #1 with an average of 6.8 doesn't even get them in the top 4 of Div III Region 9. All those Pubs that play in the same conferences will start playing each other in league play which should give them more points and teams that were projected to make noise like Hudson, Barberton, and Bedford will start to move up in the rankings. Also Hoban should run the table the balance of the season and will in all likely hood be #1 week 10. My guess is Benny will need to go at least 7-3 with likely Ls against Cathedral Prep and Hoban which means they will need to take care of business in games they are favored to win, Watterson & Walsh, and go 2-1 vs the comparable NCL foes NDCL, Padua, and Lake Catholic.
Old 09-11-17, 10:52 AM
All District

Quote:
Speaking of Region 5... So far it is very down this year, Benny sitting at #1 with an average of 6.8 doesn't even get them in the top 4 of Div III Region 9. All those Pubs that play in the same conferences will start playing each other in league play which should give them more points and teams that were projected to make noise like Hudson, Barberton, and Bedford will start to move up in the rankings. Also Hoban should run the table the balance of the season and will in all likely hood be #1 week 10. My guess is Benny will need to go at least 7-3 with likely Ls against Cathedral Prep and Hoban which means they will need to take care of business in games they are favored to win, Watterson & Walsh, and go 2-1 vs the comparable NCL foes NDCL, Padua, and Lake Catholic.
Good breakdown and I agree fully.