Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-15-17, 06:36 AM
Varsity

Broadway Joe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Benny is in an interesting pattern with regards to its coaching carousel. They hire these guys with no real connection to the program, (Slesh, Malbassa and now Welo) and they seem to either not get it or cannot work within the confines of what is a very insular place. One of the biggest issues I see is the younger better coaches all want to move on to either next level like Schaeffer or a much better paying public district like Hodakievic, the days of the ensconced head coach at a catholic school are ending. So if I was on the football conclave at Benny I would set up a system with young guys that get it as assistants and groom the better ones that want to have this as a career with a next man up type system. Have fresh hungry coaches ready to step in seamlessly at any time if someone wants to move on to the next level or a bigger payday if the school cannot match it. Also welcome back coaches that maybe went elsewhere and are now set w/ regards to retirement; allow them to double dip at a savings to the school to help mentor these folks.

That's not a bad idea, but you have to understand that these young guys have bills to pay, new homes, marriages, expenses. The lack of pay from BHS is crazy. I have a nephew that coaches in a Private school in PA who makes 7k as a defensive backs coach. Last I heard Benedictine assistants were close to 1k. How is that gonna keep a guy around if he isn't given a nice paying job in the school, which is on the same pay scale as it was in 1972

If there's going to be constant shuffling from the assistant coaches, this will be a re-occurring theme, with similar results. You have to build some continuity within your specific position group. Why do you think Some of Pat C groups were so good, familiarity and trust. It takes a while for these kids to buy in and trust a coach.
Old 08-16-17, 11:13 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Jerome Baker is named to SI's 2017 Preseason All-America 1st Team: https://www.si.com/college-football/...l-america-team

With apologies to Larry Zelina backers Baker will go down as the GOAT to come out of Benedictine.

Old 08-16-17, 12:28 PM
All Ohio

ora et labora is on a distinguished road
If and when the time comes, he just might be. Check out todays Cleveland PD article on the whereabouts of the past Mr. Football in Ohio. 5 of them since 2001 have had their share of legal troubles, including Ray Williams. I'm not saying that JB will not be the GOAT, but again if and when the time comes.

Last edited by ora et labora; 08-16-17 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-16-17, 12:37 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Joe View Post
And Ora et Labora, you sir, are still a moron!!! Findy, no need to explain how the process works, you are gonna be around a lot longer than this weasel.
Hey BJ, a moron and a weasel...... First boy entered Benedictine in the early 90's and I'll be around until I go 6 feet under, and I guess that Findy is about 15-18 years younger than I am so you might just be right on the latter.
Old 08-16-17, 01:38 PM
All Ohio

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatBengal View Post
Bryan Lacy '12 added to the coaching staff
Brian Lacey was an excellent college football player.
Standout RB for Heidelberg University and was all 1st team all conference in the OAC once I think.
Saw him play a couple of games while he was there.
Hope he brings a spark to the program and helps the Bengals to be successful.
Old 08-16-17, 07:59 PM
Freshman

Irish03482 is on a distinguished road
The Irish will get one win this year and it will be against Benedictine. It will be a sad loss to begin their season but maybe they will bounce back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-17, 09:42 PM
Freshman

JFKrecruit01 is on a distinguished road
It's gonna be a repeat of last year...

Old 08-16-17, 11:52 PM
All Ohio

I agree. Benedictine will only win 2 or 3 games this year and Ursuline is not one of them. To many questions on this Bengal team. No Oline and you have a QB who couldn't hit the ocean while standing on the beach. Load the box and Benedictine will punt every time.
Old 08-17-17, 12:42 AM
All American

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Ursuline will be tremendously down this season
Old 08-17-17, 06:35 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ora et labora View Post
Hey BJ, a moron and a weasel...... First boy entered Benedictine in the early 90's and I'll be around until I go 6 feet under, and I guess that Findy is about 15-18 years younger than I am so you might just be right on the latter.

Doesn't matter, your a troll either way you look at it. Wonder what you'd be saying on here if you buddy Berdyz was on the staff?
Old 08-17-17, 06:38 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ora et labora View Post
I agree. Benedictine will only win 2 or 3 games this year and Ursuline is not one of them. To many questions on this Bengal team. No Oline and you have a QB who couldn't hit the ocean while standing on the beach. Load the box and Benedictine will punt every time.
I really hope the QB who " Can't hit the ocean, while standing on the beach" let's one "slip" in pre-game and knocks some sense in that jug head of yours, when your leaning over the fence 55 min before kickoff so you can "get a good look at the team". Troll
Old 08-17-17, 08:45 AM
Junior Varsity

fatoldbengal is on a distinguished road
Just heard Mr. Patton was fired by Chris Lorber. Patton has been a rock at Bennies for years and ushered in many current and former students. What is going on? Anyone with a once of tradition and knowledge of the school is gone. Other than Bossu all the internal leaders have no ties to Benedictine. Call me a troll if you wish but I love this school and truly question the leadership, starting with the abbot down. This Board or two of its members are destroying the Home of Champions.
Old 08-18-17, 06:15 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldbengal View Post
Just heard Mr. Patton was fired by Chris Lorber. Patton has been a rock at Bennies for years and ushered in many current and former students. What is going on? Anyone with a once of tradition and knowledge of the school is gone. Other than Bossu all the internal leaders have no ties to Benedictine. Call me a troll if you wish but I love this school and truly question the leadership, starting with the abbot down. This Board or two of its members are destroying the Home of Champions.
Face the facts, people are not banging down the door to work at Benedictine...which makes me think there had to be somewhat good reasoning to let Patton go. He was a good guy, helped a lot of kids get in and graduate a Man of Benedictine, it's sad to see him go. Who are the internal leaders your talking about?
Old 08-18-17, 07:02 PM
Freshman

TheRule is on a distinguished road
I caught the first half of the freshmen scrimmage although I was expecting to see the varsity. Turns out they were away.

The rumors are true there is a lot of talent on this team.

There are at least three running backs who are fast and physical.

QBs are ok but need to work on timing.

Defense tackles really well.

The kicker has a strong leg for a freshman.

The future is bright.
Old 08-19-17, 05:53 AM
All District

neirish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
Is that the rumor on the street???
"tremendously down"
Old 08-21-17, 09:20 AM
All Yappi

Any takes on the Garfield scrimmage?

By the way I hear there are close to 50 players currently on the Freshmen team. I understand that many fall off during the year but some schools the same size in the CLE area are having trouble pulling in that many kids for the entire football program.
Old 08-21-17, 09:30 AM
All District

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

By the way I hear there are close to 50 players currently on the Freshmen team. I understand that many fall off during the year but some schools the same size in the CLE area are having trouble pulling in that many kids for the entire football program.
I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the full competitive balance system. With these high numbers on freshman. Is there a chance of pushing the team up another division next season?
Old 08-21-17, 10:44 AM
Varsity

ene456 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

65 Young Men I Heard.
Old 08-21-17, 11:48 AM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ene456 View Post
65 Young Men I Heard.
WOW.

That is very impressive.
Old 08-23-17, 10:47 AM
All Ohio

cchs1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Transfer from Detroit Cass Tech going to have an impact??
Old 08-23-17, 11:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchs1983 View Post
Transfer from Detroit Cass Tech going to have an impact??
Name and position?
Old 08-23-17, 07:55 PM
Freshman

YoungstownMother5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post

My son goes to Ursuline and would have to disagree, Ursuline looks really athletic this year and will get back on track of their tradition

Old 08-24-17, 11:49 AM
Freshman

330youngstownguy is on a distinguished road
Benedictine 2017

Rumor is in Youngstown benedictine is not as strong as we've seen in the past few years anyone knew if this is true?

Last edited by 330youngstownguy; 08-24-17 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-24-17, 08:36 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRule View Post
I caught the first half of the freshmen scrimmage although I was expecting to see the varsity. Turns out they were away.

The rumors are true there is a lot of talent on this team.

There are at least three running backs who are fast and physical.

QBs are ok but need to work on timing.

Defense tackles really well.

The kicker has a strong leg for a freshman.

The future is bright.
Watched the freshman game this evening

Benedictine defeated Ursuline 31-6

As I wrote in the past there are some great athletes on this team. #5 #3 and #33 are really good running backs.

#11 at QB looked better than in the scrimmage. Seemed more comfortable.

The defense played well. Ursuline's TD was at the end on a botched snap by the third string.

The kicker is special. Made all of his extra points and converted a FG that I think was close to 40 yards. Kickoffs were good too.

There were several other young men who played well but I can't remember their numbers and I obviously don't know their names.

Benedictine has a large number of kids on the team. If Ursuline had more than 15 kids I would be surprised.

The future is bright. Even the crybabies on here have to be happy with the future.
Old 08-25-17, 08:39 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRule View Post
Watched the freshman game this evening

Benedictine defeated Ursuline 31-6

As I wrote in the past there are some great athletes on this team. #5 #3 and #33 are really good running backs.

#11 at QB looked better than in the scrimmage. Seemed more comfortable.

The defense played well. Ursuline's TD was at the end on a botched snap by the third string.

The kicker is special. Made all of his extra points and converted a FG that I think was close to 40 yards. Kickoffs were good too.

There were several other young men who played well but I can't remember their numbers and I obviously don't know their names.

Benedictine has a large number of kids on the team. If Ursuline had more than 15 kids I would be surprised.

The future is bright. Even the crybabies on here have to be happy with the future.
#5 is Jovan Goodson, he is related to Jahmal Brown and he is the stand out player out of this large group. The kicker is Ivan Shuran and he had a 32 yard FG.

By the way, the Hoban Freshmen beat up the Iggy Freshmen something like 30-0, depending on who gets moved up that could be a game worth watching.
Old 08-25-17, 10:24 PM
Freshman

Bengals 39 Ursuline 29
Old 08-26-17, 10:07 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Good win by Benedictine. And I picked Ursuline in the contest. Oh me of little faith.

Good luck to the Bengals the rest of the way. I've got some family ties to Benedictine, so it has always been on of my favorite schools.
Old 08-28-17, 07:49 AM
All Region

The Working Man is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, we did it!
Old 08-28-17, 08:55 AM
All Yappi

Anyone go to the game and want to give some impressions?

Kind of surprised at the offensive output, close to 400 yards after the scrimmages is not what I would have expected. Looks like some Home Run style TDs helped the passing #s so the skills appear to have the speed and could be a match up problem, especially for some of the NCL opponents that have had trouble in the past Benny's athletes.
Old 08-29-17, 06:17 AM
Varsity

I know some of you old grumps won't like this, because apparently you want the bengals to lose so we can get a better draft pick or something. However, congrats on a week 1 win Bengal nation, look who cracked the top 25!!!

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...f-2017-season/