Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-27-17, 09:11 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone 22 View Post
In other news; Marty Highland is the new AD.
Makes sense. These days it is more a secretary gig and he can keep the admin items in line while making a few extra $s.
Old 07-27-17, 09:42 AM
All Yappi

Posted by TBone 22 on another thread and I think it would be a good conversation leading into the season>

I think it's time for a change at Benedictine. Flat white helmets, chrome decals, navy blue jersey's with columbia blue lettering. White pants with over size navy blue and columbia blue striping. Away jersey's would look good with Columbia blue pants with white & navy large stripes. White Jersey's with columbia blue lettering.

I too think an update to the uni in a year or so as something for the school to consider yet I would not go as deep as TBone.

Helmets: The Benny helmet has a long history and is one of the best in Ohio so I would not go as deep. While the flat white update works and can easily be changed once it goes out of style the chrome decal is a little too much for such a traditional unique logo that is probably one of the most iconic in NEO. Maybe over size the logo like it was in the '60s.

Home Unis: The school color is Light Blue and I would keep the home uni with a Light Blue base. If they had the $s I would introduce a navy alternative look but that would be for only a one off game a season. I would keep updating it with the in style looks/trims as in the past they have had Northwestern striping, UCLA style striping, full name on the front, etc... They can always use a cool UNC look for inspiration. As for pants the solid white look is the thing right now and helps save $s so I would just keep that look going, if anything maybe drop a small version of the logo onto the top hip of the pant.

Away: To me this is also an iconic look for Benny and as long as I remember they have always used the all white look with never a colored pant, I think they should keep this look.

One over all update I would consider is names on the back of the jerseys. I know the old timers may not like the idea but the players would love it and it would make the program different from others in the area. Also getting the name plate as a Senior would be a cool send of tradition.
Old 07-27-17, 10:08 AM
All District

TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
The flat white helmet with Columbia blue chrome decal B would look great. The jersey I described may be off base, but the helmets would look good and be in line with the current helmet design.
Old 07-27-17, 04:09 PM
All Ohio

Findy15 is on a distinguished road
I talked to Joe Laffey, when he was head of admissions & the O-Coordinator, several years ago about changing to flat white helmets & chrome Columbia Blue B decals. I think they would look sensational! But heck who am I ???
Old 07-29-17, 08:51 AM
All Ohio

ora et labora is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone 22 View Post
The flat white helmet with Columbia blue chrome decal B would look great.
Lipstick on a pig. Lets get the program back to respectability before we worry about new helmets and uni's.

Last edited by ora et labora; 07-29-17 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-31-17, 07:40 AM
All Yappi

It's HS Football not a life or death subject, why not have a little fun before the season starts?
Old 07-31-17, 10:34 AM
Junior Varsity

BearcatBengal is on a distinguished road
Bryan Lacy '12 added to the coaching staff
Old 07-31-17, 01:17 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ora et labora View Post
Lipstick on a pig. Lets get the program back to respectability before we worry about new helmets and uni's.
...and how are you helping to bring back the program???? Hope your out there banging the bushes looking for academic athletes to attend the school. Trust me, the conversation about helmets is WHAT SHOULD BE being discussed on this web blog. Not the slamming of the program, that constantly occurs in/on many posts.
Old 07-31-17, 01:30 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findy15 View Post
...and how are you helping to bring back the program???? Hope your out there banging the bushes looking for academic athletes to attend the school. Trust me, the conversation about helmets is WHAT SHOULD BE being discussed on this web blog. Not the slamming of the program, that constantly occurs in/on many posts.
and who is going to pony up the 100,000 to pay for these new helmets? Look at your wrestling team - great warm-ups and singlets bad team. How have the improvements of the uni's attracted wrestlers....didn't help much.
Old 07-31-17, 03:38 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
and who is going to pony up the 100,000 to pay for these new helmets? Look at your wrestling team - great warm-ups and singlets bad team. How have the improvements of the uni's attracted wrestlers....didn't help much.
Obviously you enjoy bashing the good that people are trying to do at the school. The wrestling program consistently has 20 academic athletes on the squad, up from 7, when Coach Berdycz & Coach Muttillo took over. It obvious that you know who I am, maybe you should step up and introduce yourself the next time you see me at a Benedictine Sporting Event. We can have this conversation in person.
Old 07-31-17, 04:02 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
There would be no new helmets, just paint & decals. $2,500.00 tops. Maybe you could step up and help out with that? Sure would be better than all of the complaining.
Old 07-31-17, 04:50 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
I understand the frustration with a struggling program, but I do not understand the vitriol that devolves into personal attacks, especially towards people who put in their time and effort to make the school a better place. I believe that everyone here wants what's best for the school, so perhaps we should remember that and be a little more respectful when posting.
Old 08-01-17, 02:00 PM
Freshman

TheRule is on a distinguished road
Any word on dates and times of scrimmages?

Thanks
Old 08-04-17, 02:45 PM
Freshman

WestCleve is on a distinguished road
As a Bene dad i can only say thanks to all the great people who are putting in their time to help out these young MOB. One graduated and still playing football in college, one incoming freshman playing ball and a third on his way in a couple of years. My wife and i could keep them on the west side but we choose to send them (60 miles per day) to Bene because of the great tradition, fine academics and great men coaching them in all sports. Football, basketball, wrestling, laCrosse and on and on. I personally am indebted to you gentlemen for your passion and hard work. But most of all for caring for the boys. My oldest played on the '14 squad and wears that ring proudly. He's close to all his buddies from that team. Those memories are priceless. I asked him about his college team and how it felt in comparison to Bene. He said, "dad this is a job but Bene was my love, I'd have died on that field for that school." That's because of all you great guys coaching. Thanks for what you do everyday and for making a difference in my sons lives. Just an opinion from one dad.
Old 08-04-17, 05:32 PM
All Region

CleBen is on a distinguished road
BeneDad,

A very heartfelt post. I'm very happy to hear that Benedictine has had such a profound effect on your familyl.

And with several more family members entering the Bengals pipeline, there may be a spot for you in the Benedictine PR dept.
Old 08-04-17, 05:38 PM
All Region

CleBen is on a distinguished road
Bedford Stadium turf

Does anyone know if Bedford is getting new turf for this season? It looked a little chewed up last season.
Old 08-07-17, 01:34 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBen View Post
Does anyone know if Bedford is getting new turf for this season? It looked a little chewed up last season.
I read somewhere that they just got brand new turf
Old 08-11-17, 09:22 PM
Varsity

ene456 is on a distinguished road
How did today's scrimmage go?
Old 08-13-17, 10:59 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ene456 View Post
How did today's scrimmage go?
It seems that people generally will come on here and only write disparaging things about the school. Thus I am assuming that the scrimmages both for the freshman and varsity went really well since nothing was posted about it on here.
Old 08-13-17, 06:06 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRule View Post
It seems that people generally will come on here and only write disparaging things about the school. Thus I am assuming that the scrimmages both for the freshman and varsity went really well since nothing was posted about it on here.
Or, they went really bad and nobody wants to talk about them.
Old 08-13-17, 06:08 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findy15 View Post
Obviously you enjoy bashing the good that people are trying to do at the school. The wrestling program consistently has 20 academic athletes on the squad, up from 7, when Coach Berdycz & Coach Muttillo took over. It obvious that you know who I am, maybe you should step up and introduce yourself the next time you see me at a Benedictine Sporting Event. We can have this conversation in person.
Have had 2 or 3 conversations with you in the past. You tend to be all talk and no action.
Old 08-13-17, 07:29 PM
All Region

Paydirt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRule View Post
Varsity STVM 2-1
JV STVM 1-0
Old 08-13-17, 08:41 PM
All Yappi

Observations from a SVSM supporter:

08-12-17, 05:08 PM
Irish Football
Junior Varsity

My thoughts from the scrimmage last night against Benedictine. The offense was more balanced with Lindsay throwing a long TD pass and completing several more passes. Keyes ran the ball effectively and scored on a short run. The line play is going to determine how the Irish fare this year. They had 2 starters out on the line last night and they once again struggled pass blocking.

The defensive front seven is small but played fairly well with a couple batted balls and one interception. The secondary had 3 or 4 pass interference calls against them last night and let a few guys get open deep that Benedictine couldn't connect on.

Benedictines offense was very one dimensional. They had a few nice long runs but only completed a couple passes. The QB was off missing a few wide open receivers. I thought both of their lines looked pretty good.

Overall the Irish offense has looked good centered around the sophomores at QB and RB but the line play needs to step up. The defense needs to shore up the mistakes in the secondary and they should be fine. The biggest concern I have is depth as they only had around 40 kids dressed last night. Playing the schedule they have injuries and kids getting dinged up will happen. If the line play improves and they stay healthy it could be very good season
Old 08-13-17, 09:04 PM
Freshman

330youngstownguy is on a distinguished road
Anyone know on how this year's team compares to last year's squad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-17, 09:44 AM
Junior Varsity

fatoldbengal is on a distinguished road
Not looking forward to a successful year. With that said, the boys are working hard and had some bright spots at the STVM scrimmage. Questions about play calling on offense are still an issue, they were too predictable and ran way too much. I realize it's early but a balance needs to be established. Still not a fan of the new staff but having a couple of Bennie guys was good to see. Lacy and Brown know the Tradition which the head coach has not a clue about. Overall, a good start--keep going Bengals.
Old 08-14-17, 01:36 PM
All Yappi

cleveland.com propaganda: http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...ll-camp-visit/
Old 08-14-17, 02:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldbengal View Post
Not looking forward to a successful year. With that said, the boys are working hard and had some bright spots at the STVM scrimmage. Questions about play calling on offense are still an issue, they were too predictable and ran way too much. I realize it's early but a balance needs to be established. Still not a fan of the new staff but having a couple of Bennie guys was good to see. Lacy and Brown know the Tradition which the head coach has not a clue about. Overall, a good start--keep going Bengals.
Benny is in an interesting pattern with regards to its coaching carousel. They hire these guys with no real connection to the program, (Slesh, Malbassa and now Welo) and they seem to either not get it or cannot work within the confines of what is a very insular place. One of the biggest issues I see is the younger better coaches all want to move on to either next level like Schaeffer or a much better paying public district like Hodakievic, the days of the ensconced head coach at a catholic school are ending. So if I was on the football conclave at Benny I would set up a system with young guys that get it as assistants and groom the better ones that want to have this as a career with a next man up type system. Have fresh hungry coaches ready to step in seamlessly at any time if someone wants to move on to the next level or a bigger payday if the school cannot match it. Also welcome back coaches that maybe went elsewhere and are now set w/ regards to retirement; allow them to double dip at a savings to the school to help mentor these folks.
Old 08-14-17, 03:08 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Have had 2 or 3 conversations with you in the past. You tend to be all talk and no action.
I did not know that I have been elected President at Benedictine? What decisions can I make???? If you are who I think you are, you are way off base. Firing coaches after 1 season without cause is not the way to go. Over reacting to all situations is also not the way to go. Commenting on things you know little about just shows how out of tune you are with Benedictine. This is not 1970's or 1980's anymore. There will never be another Augie Bossu, EVER! If slamming Benedictine and their decisions constantly is your way of helping. Than really, they don't need your type of help. You & Fats should just move on. It's 2017, everything is new. All sports have changed the way they're played. From football to checkers. If you don't change with them, you get left behind.
Old 08-15-17, 05:18 AM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Benny is in an interesting pattern with regards to its coaching carousel. They hire these guys with no real connection to the program, (Slesh, Malbassa and now Welo) and they seem to either not get it or cannot work within the confines of what is a very insular place. One of the biggest issues I see is the younger better coaches all want to move on to either next level like Schaeffer or a much better paying public district like Hodakievic, the days of the ensconced head coach at a catholic school are ending. So if I was on the football conclave at Benny I would set up a system with young guys that get it as assistants and groom the better ones that want to have this as a career with a next man up type system. Have fresh hungry coaches ready to step in seamlessly at any time if someone wants to move on to the next level or a bigger payday if the school cannot match it. Also welcome back coaches that maybe went elsewhere and are now set w/ regards to retirement; allow them to double dip at a savings to the school to help mentor these folks.
Benny will have Welo as long as you want him. He's a career catholic school guy in high school and college. He knows he has a job that has been proven to allow him to win and compete almost every year. The only issue you could have with him is 7-10 years from now when and if Kyle retires at Iggy. If Welo can add 2-3 state titles to Benny, I'd have to think Welo would be considered as Chicos successor. Thsee are all what if scenarios.
Old 08-15-17, 06:29 AM
Varsity

Broadway Joe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldbengal View Post
I love you guys in the stands that "QUESTION" the play calling. Because you are not at practice, in meetings, thinking every waking moment of your day, what is the best game plan to win. And don't tell me you have coached a CYO team... Your the same guy that sits and yells at the browns to throw the deep ball, even when the qb cant make the throw and the wr are slow and terrible. You have to go with what you feel is going to work. This will be a new o-line, the logical thing to do is run the damn ball and not get cute, or too exotic in play calling. So, stop acting like this is supposed to be some re-invention of the wheel. Because we all know, if Welo went back to his iggy roots, there would be 4 and 5 wides and you would be complaining that "this is Benedictine, we play tough/hard nosed football, ram it down there throats."
The 2014 Staff is not coming back, anytime soon, so I suggest we start figuring out what good qualities these guys have and really hammer those down, because this is the staff that's going to be in place for at least the next 12 weeks.

And Ora et Labora, you sir, are still a moron!!! Findy, no need to explain how the process works, you are gonna be around a lot longer than this weasel.