Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-27-17, 05:49 AM
All American

haydenfrye is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dappling View Post
Of all the schools in Ohio, Southview couldnt find anyone closer?
The usual for SV is no one around Toledo is willing to play them because of their success. But as of recently SV doesn't want to play a Catholic school because if you lose you probably lose future students. So why not pick up a small school from Michigan? The mentality is a D2 from Ohio will beat a D4 or smaller every time. They will probably find out this year it isn't always true.
Old 02-27-17, 08:17 PM
All District

Oaks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenfrye View Post
24 kids on the team thus far. Named one of the captains. It's the normal Southview stuff. Just the team is shrinking and alot of kids I have heard either transfered to NV or open enrolled there
Wow,
Old 02-27-17, 09:25 PM
Varsity

Jackets is on a distinguished road
As far as Perrysburg is concerned, I could see them getting back to the playoffs again this year. They have a lot of talent returning that got significant playing time last year. The team started to do better once they put the Freshman Sims in at QB1 after Backus got injured. I could see Backus moving to WR this year since Pburg lost a bit of receiver depth and since Backus played some WR 2 years ago. The scary thing to other teams in the NLL could be the fact that Kregel played a ridiculous amount of sophomores last year, more than any year I can remember. Even from the team two years ago that went to state, I don't remember anyone other than Westfall getting much playing time as a sophomore. And if they play the freshman from last year at QB this year an undefeated season won't be out of the question based on the way the past seasons under Kregel have worked. The biggest question left in my opinion is what they might have lost when their old D coordinator Brungard left for AW.
Old 02-28-17, 05:43 AM
All District

NLLBEST is on a distinguished road
Anthony Wayne and Springfield both probably lose the most from last season. I expect both to rebound pretty well but the talent level will be a little down. BG has put together three straight good seasons so I find it hard to bet against them but they will lose their top couple players again. I expect Perrysburg to be better because they were young last year and sims is very good but they don't have any athletes like they have had the last 4 years to break the big plays and their running game lacks a playmaking back too. Maumee returns about 8 players on both sides of the ball, hearing rumors the offense will be changed again this year, i think it's safe to assume it will be run heavy but more diverse than it was at the end of last season. If they're going to be successful this is the year. Napoleon struggled moving the ball last year but continues to play tough D, interested to see if they'll be changing offenses this year. In my opinion the sylvania schools are in the worst shape heading into the season, I know NV has some big young guys but they've had a lot of big players come through the last 5 years and haven't been able to break through. SV 0-7 (14 straight in the league) seems imminent
Old 02-28-17, 07:18 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
The downward spiral will continue at Southview until some changes are made. The team is in dire need of new and fresh leadership.
Old 02-28-17, 07:24 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1disciple View Post
The downward spiral will continue at Southview until some changes are made. The team is in dire need of new and fresh leadership.
I hate to say it but the battle of egos is got to be nearing an end on Sylvania Avenue.
Old 02-28-17, 10:44 AM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Many years ago Southview had superior athletes but the program was so poorly coached that it amounted to nothing. Mayzes turned them into contenders and champions, and ruffled a lot of NLL feathers with his and his team's behavior.

In my opinion, he doesn't have the quality of assistant coaches that he once had, and he tries to do too much himself. I went to the Southview vs. Perrysburg game 3 or 4 years ago. Southview had better players, Perrysburg was better coached and won.

Southview has not had enough talent on the field the past two seasons to be contenders.
Old 02-28-17, 01:41 PM
All District

What's that old saying? Great players make great coaches? Don't get me wrong I think Mayzes is a good coach and like it has been said a lot of the good coaches he had in the past all left for one reason or another. He took Southview to a level that is impossible to sustain, unfortunately I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel for southview and Mayzes may have stayed long enough to see himself become the villain. Honestly I was shocked he didn't retire after the 2012 class graduated especially seeing what he had coming through the pipeline but maybe his goal is to try and get the program back to being respectable before finally stepping away.
Old 02-28-17, 02:06 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLLBEST View Post
What's that old saying? Great players make great coaches? Don't get me wrong I think Mayzes is a good coach and like it has been said a lot of the good coaches he had in the past all left for one reason or another. He took Southview to a level that is impossible to sustain, unfortunately I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel for southview and Mayzes may have stayed long enough to see himself become the villain. Honestly I was shocked he didn't retire after the 2012 class graduated especially seeing what he had coming through the pipeline but maybe his goal is to try and get the program back to being respectable before finally stepping away.
In 2013 the future looked as though a good team was coming. The 8th graders were looking decent. One of the stars moved to Detroit and now has I think 10 or 11 offers mostly from the SEC. But it comes down to the upper classes since 2011 have not had the work ethic of those others and think that teams will soil themselves at seeing the Cougars on the schedule. That of course isn't going to happen at all.
Old 02-28-17, 07:45 PM
Junior Varsity

dappling is on a distinguished road
Does Mayzes call the plays? I believe that on their two runs to the state championship, they had pretty skilled OC's. 1998 especially sticks out in my mind. I have seen some Southview games where the play calling was awful.

Demographically, AW and P-Burg SHOULD be good. I always felt that AW was a sleeping giant.

Springfield has some definite athletes. I am still not sold on their ability to pay consistent defense.

BG is well coached.

This is a make it or break it year for Maumee as they return a lot, especially on the O-Line. They need to find a QB. However, if they go to the double wing (my sources tell me that the spread is history at Maumee), QB play will not be as important.
Old 02-28-17, 08:51 PM
All American

Last year it was Rowe calling offense and Mayzes calling the D
Old 03-01-17, 10:46 AM
Varsity

Jackets is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenfrye View Post
I hate to say it but the battle of egos is got to be nearing an end on Sylvania Avenue.
With southview building a new stadium and northview renovating theirs, I would disagree with this statement. It seems that combining into one school would make too much sense
Old 03-01-17, 12:58 PM
Junior Varsity

dappling is on a distinguished road
Talent cycles. I have been around the NLL long enough to see every school up and down in football at one point. Southview has hit a rough patch.
Old 03-05-17, 07:26 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackets View Post
With southview building a new stadium and northview renovating theirs, I would disagree with this statement. It seems that combining into one school would make too much sense
That will never happen. Not in any of our lifetimes.
Old 03-05-17, 07:29 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappling View Post
Does Mayzes call the plays? I believe that on their two runs to the state championship, they had pretty skilled OC's. 1998 especially sticks out in my mind. I have seen some Southview games where the play calling was awful.

Demographically, AW and P-Burg SHOULD be good. I always felt that AW was a sleeping giant.

Springfield has some definite athletes. I am still not sold on their ability to pay consistent defense.

BG is well coached.

This is a make it or break it year for Maumee as they return a lot, especially on the O-Line. They need to find a QB. However, if they go to the double wing (my sources tell me that the spread is history at Maumee), QB play will not be as important.
If I'm not mistaken it was the same oc for 1998 and 2008. After he was chased off things have gone downhill.
Old 03-06-17, 10:28 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackets View Post
It'll never happen
Old 03-20-17, 07:31 PM
All District

NLLRAM is on a distinguished road
ttt
Old 05-29-17, 09:55 AM
All World

Any ideas on how the league will shake out folks?
Old 05-29-17, 01:09 PM
All District

Anthony Wayne, and Springfield Should remain Towards the top. Maumee and Perrysburg should be much better.
Old 05-30-17, 07:07 PM
All District

Springfield's Biggest hole to fill will be @ the RB position. The O line will most likely be the biggest and best it has ever been. The receiving corp returns plenty. The D played a lot of soph, jrs, and a freshman last season. The kicking game will be a plus as well.
Old 05-30-17, 07:23 PM
Varsity

Johnson&Johnson is on a distinguished road
A new superintendent is forthcoming in Sylvania...could he/she be the change agent that makes some crazy moves over the next few years??? It's happened before in places that people never thought it would happen in.
Old 05-31-17, 06:44 PM
Freshman

SOD is on a distinguished road
This is actually the 2nd superintendent in the last few years so not sure why that would be the agent of change to combine HS. It really doesn't make sense that they would combine to form what would have to be one of the bigger high schools in the state. Enrollment would have to be over 2300 kids in the combined school.
Old 05-31-17, 08:22 PM
All World

I think he's talking more so about coaching changes.
Old 05-31-17, 09:12 PM
Varsity

Johnson&Johnson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOD View Post
This is actually the 2nd superintendent in the last few years so not sure why that would be the agent of change to combine HS. It really doesn't make sense that they would combine to form what would have to be one of the bigger high schools in the state. Enrollment would have to be over 2300 kids in the combined school.
It would certainly be a big school. Little bigger than Whitmer, Brunswick, Medina Strongsville. Smaller than Mentor and all the big Cincy-area schools. Unlikely in short-term but would never say never. Has happened plenty of other districts that one day were desirable places to live/work.
Old 06-01-17, 01:36 AM
All District

I think NLLRAM is spot on, those four may be very close this year and I can't help but put BG in there with the run they've been on the last few seasons. Napoleon should improve but I'm not sure how much. Sylvania schools may be battling at the bottom but it's very early.
Old 06-01-17, 09:17 AM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson&Johnson View Post
It would certainly be a big school. Little bigger than Whitmer, Brunswick, Medina Strongsville. Smaller than Mentor and all the big Cincy-area schools. Unlikely in short-term but would never say never. Has happened plenty of other districts that one day were desirable places to live/work.
Combined enrollment would put ONE Sylvania High School at 884 boys (9-11 boys from previous year) which is 80 boys more than Whitmer. A ONE Sylvania HS would instantly become the most sought after gigs in NWOhio.
Old 06-01-17, 11:56 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Combined enrollment would put ONE Sylvania High School at 884 boys (9-11 boys from previous year) which is 80 boys more than Whitmer. A ONE Sylvania HS would instantly become the most sought after gigs in NWOhio.
and a bigger traffic mess than the two they already have. Where would they put the thing? Can't imagine this would be on the table. I think both schools already have room for larger enrollments to accommodate whatever section 8 apartment complex the developers try to put in.
Old 06-01-17, 02:50 PM
All District

1 school for the boys and 1 school for the girls??????????????

Last edited by NLLRAM; 06-01-17 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-06-17, 11:29 AM
All World

They can't even agree on the redistricting they would never agree on two schools. Too many sensitive parents.
Old 06-18-17, 08:24 AM
All District

ttt