Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-04-17, 10:38 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
It would be a top D1 program that plays all other D1's and rarely loses a game. Concentrate on those handful of teams and the answer will be easy to find on JoeEitel.com, at least as far as the last three years.
But since they rarely lose, they wouldn't be a good schedule for L2s. My question might not be well thought out. I was discussing that lack of L2s being provided by NLL schedules, is what sent me on that tangent. They could have a 9-1 team left out of play-offs.... maybe.
Old 10-04-17, 10:57 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
This is what Drew Pasteuer has for projections.

1. Avon (10-0) 34.72
2. Medina Highland (9-1) 29.55
3. Grafton Midview (9-1) 29.50
4. Wadsworth (9-1) 27.50
(Top 4 earn a first round home game)
5. Olmsted Falls (8-2) 23.55
6. Sylvania Northview (9-1) 23.25
7. Whitehouse Anthony Wayne (8-2) 20.10
8. Holland Springfield (7-3) 17.55
(Top 8 earn a playoff berth)
Old 10-04-17, 11:39 AM
All Region

TRAC Football is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackets View Post
The thing that stood out to me playing for Brungard was how much film he watched on his opponents each week. He would dedicate his entire Sunday to church and film during game weeks. He would be able to tell the team that if the other team lined up in a specific formation, there was a 70% chance it was this play, a 20% chance it was another play, and a 10% chance it was another. I donít know if Perrysburg has anyone on the coaching staff that analyzes film to the extent that Brungard did. This is also the likely reason why the turnaround at Anthony Wayne has been so swift
That's 90% of HS coaches, at least the big schools
Old 10-04-17, 01:25 PM
Freshman

Jacket1816 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Was the HC at Anthony Wayne, who was the P'burg DC, the secret to the success in the Burg? Their D's were always tough, hard hitting and fundamentally sound.
I think he was....not that Kregel didn't have anything to do with it, but Brungard was the unsung hero, so to speak. I, along with others, noticed that last year at times Kregel seemed disconnected with the players, even during the games. Weren't really sure what to make of it all....
Old 10-04-17, 04:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1disciple View Post
This is what Drew Pasteuer has for projections.

1. Avon (10-0) 34.72
2. Medina Highland (9-1) 29.55
3. Grafton Midview (9-1) 29.50
4. Wadsworth (9-1) 27.50
(Top 4 earn a first round home game)
5. Olmsted Falls (8-2) 23.55
6. Sylvania Northview (9-1) 23.25
7. Whitehouse Anthony Wayne (8-2) 20.10
8. Holland Springfield (7-3) 17.55
(Top 8 earn a playoff berth)
No home games but at least they won't be knocking each other out. Avon crushing it but the other two might be winnable.
Old 10-04-17, 05:30 PM
Junior Varsity

dappling is on a distinguished road
Maumee for sure had their shot at beating NV. I think the Panthers made a bad call on 4 and 3.

I think there is a lot of parity in the NLL this year with the old adage "on any given night" being true.

I think Maumee could finish out at 4-0 or at 1-3. I still think that this will be the first year the panthers beat pburg since the Jake Schneider era

In regards to Brungard, all coaches break down film, but some truly study it, research tendencies etc. I have heard nothing but good things about him. From the outside looking in, it seems that the AW strength and conditioning has been kicked up a notch as well.
Old 10-04-17, 08:43 PM
Freshman

NLL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Not to be "that guy" but I think "92 left "several years ago" behind by a couple decades. Kudos to the memory skills though.
Come on...I'm still wearing my Al Bundy High School letter jacket..."At Polk High..."
Old 10-05-17, 04:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLL View Post
Come on...I'm still wearing my Al Bundy High School letter jacket..."At Polk High..."
Who is your all-time, in your time, best NLL player?
Old 10-05-17, 06:21 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Andrew Donnal (AW) or Eric Page (Springfield)
Old 10-05-17, 07:19 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Eric Page beats Donnal IMO. Eric Page diced everyone up in multiple ways (run, throw, kick, drove the bus) and made it look extremely easy. The greats always make it look easy.

As great as Page was, Rick Upchurch is probably best, but it is close (especially in HS).
Old 10-05-17, 07:56 PM
Freshman

NLL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hmmm...Interesting question. In my time, I would say Chris Holyfield (sp) at Rossford. In my time and forward, I would probably lean toward Eric Page.
Old 10-07-17, 05:34 PM
All World

Big game in Whitehouse this week.
Old 10-07-17, 06:55 PM
Junior Varsity

Maumee wins out? They could finish 3-0 as Springfield is beatable. I am not saying that Maumee will win for sure..just that if the chips fall right, Springfield is beatable. BG to me is a question mark. Last year, I thought they were really physical. The fact that Maumee plays at BG worries me a bit.

Last edited by dappling; 10-08-17 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Question Answered
Old 10-07-17, 07:50 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Eric Page beats Donnal IMO. Eric Page diced everyone up in multiple ways (run, throw, kick, drove the bus) and made it look extremely easy. The greats always make it look easy.

As great as Page was, Rick Upchurch is probably best, but it is close (especially in HS).
I agree about Upchurch. Of course, we know about his 75-83 excellent NFL career. Thus far, no one from the NLL has matched his tenure at the highest level of football.
Page, of course, had an outstanding career at Toledo after his years as an outstanding and exciting player at Springfield. His decision to leave UT early was -- with the benefit of hindsight -- quite possibly an unfortunate one (as he went undrafted). His knee injury definitely cut short his brief NFL career.
Donnal -- a 4th round pick of the Rams in 2015 -- is a 3-year OL. It remains to be seen how his NFL career develops.
NLL fans should be proud of all 3.
Old 10-08-17, 06:41 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dappling View Post
In a ballsy move...something that I have never witnessed before, Maumee's Coach (Marc Gibson) guaranteed a victory over Southview at the pep rally at Maumee High School on Friday.

"I am going to do something that I have never done before..I am going to guarantee a victory tonight"
It would be a lot more impressive had he made his guarantee before a game nobody expected them to win, rather than against the last place team they expected to beat. His guarantee was boastful, but not ballsy. Guarantee one over AW or Springfield and that would be ballsy.
Old 10-08-17, 10:05 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
I agree about Upchurch. Of course, we know about his 75-83 excellent NFL career. Thus far, no one from the NLL has matched his tenure at the highest level of football.
Page, of course, had an outstanding career at Toledo after his years as an outstanding and exciting player at Springfield. His decision to leave UT early was -- with the benefit of hindsight -- quite possibly an unfortunate one (as he went undrafted). His knee injury definitely cut short his brief NFL career.
Donnal -- a 4th round pick of the Rams in 2015 -- is a 3-year OL. It remains to be seen how his NFL career develops.
NLL fans should be proud of all 3.
When it comes to special HS football players Page is up there with Woodson and Webb in my opinion. He simply played on bad teams. I thought he left UT too early as well but of course that is really easy for me to say from behind my computer.

I figured rmolin would bring up some of the Southview greats. Allan Gant, Griff Whalen, Aaron Pidcock, Pickneys and Halls, Kelly Rowe & his brother (name escapes me). For all the talent Southview had for a 12 year stretch Rowe and Whalen were pretty special.

Chris Holifield was very good. Still no Page in my opinion. The Bulldogs had Darren Paige who was pretty darn good as well in the early 2000's. They had a RB that played at Miami (OH) and briefly for the Browns. Graduated in the 70's and for the life of me I cannot remember his name. Many folks forget what a great small sports town Rossford used to be (and still is to a degree).
Old 10-08-17, 11:03 AM
All Ohio

Good points about the successive line of players at Southview.
As far as a do-everything player, Darren Paige was one for the ages. He WAS Rossford football for about two entire seasons, playing everything from QB, WR, and defensive back (not simultaneously, although it may have seemed like it lol!).
Old 10-08-17, 12:02 PM
All World

Quote:
When it comes to special HS football players Page is up there with Woodson and Webb in my opinion. He simply played on bad teams. I thought he left UT too early as well but of course that is really easy for me to say from behind my computer.

I figured rmolin would bring up some of the Southview greats. Allan Gant, Griff Whalen, Aaron Pidcock, Pickneys and Halls, Kelly Rowe & his brother (name escapes me). For all the talent Southview had for a 12 year stretch Rowe and Whalen were pretty special.

Chris Holifield was very good. Still no Page in my opinion. The Bulldogs had Darren Paige who was pretty darn good as well in the early 2000's. They had a RB that played at Miami (OH) and briefly for the Browns. Graduated in the 70's and for the life of me I cannot remember his name. Many folks forget what a great small sports town Rossford used to be (and still is to a degree).
Southview had a ton of great players many lists of brothers from the Rowe's, Pinckneys, Hall's and Bowers. You also had Pidcock, Isley, Gant as well. The players that have made their mark One's that really stand out are Khary Campbell, Griff Whalen and Jimmy Hall who made their mark in the NFL.
Old 10-08-17, 12:03 PM
All District

Trailsendcustom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'll go with Todd France. He was really good at UT then played a year or two in he NFL. Then another couple in arena football. #kickersarerealfootballplayerstoo
Old 10-08-17, 01:27 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailsendcustom View Post
#kickersarerealfootballplayerstoo
Touche'.

And I forgot all about Khary Campbell. Speaking of kickers, was Hausfeld (spl?) the kicker on the 08' Southview title team? Man what a special group that was?

The Rossford player I could not remember from the 70's was Tisdale (first name escapes).

Last edited by irish_buffalo; 10-08-17 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-08-17, 01:39 PM
Junior Varsity

Ronnie Tisdale...his son later played for Pburg about 10 years ago
Old 10-08-17, 01:42 PM
All World

Quote:
Touche'.

And I forgot all about Khary Campbell. Speaking of kickers, was Hausfeld (spl?) the kicker on the 08' Southview title team? Man what special group that was?

The Rossford player I could not remember from the 70's was Tisdale (first name escapes).
Yes he was. That was a team for the ages.
Old 10-08-17, 01:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Touche'.

And I forgot all about Khary Campbell. Speaking of kickers, was Hausfeld (spl?) the kicker on the 08' Southview title team? Man what special group that was?

One of my favorite b-ball memories: Southview playing Scott and it was a good Scott team. You could tell, Scott was ... skeptical. By end of game, Hausfeld had won them over. Dynamite game too.
Old 10-08-17, 04:08 PM
All World

Yes, Ronnie Tisdale. Thanks.

And yes again, that was a team for the ages. Only team from NWOhio D-I/D-II to win em all (15-0).

I remember that game. I remember Hausfeld knocking down two threes from beyond NBA range. Then he decides to drive and made a couple opponents look lost. It is fun watching kids like him (Drew Lehman, Gus Dimmerling in football) who have nothing going for them from a size and demeanor standpoint but once the whistle blows they become the best on the floor/field.
Old 10-09-17, 08:09 AM
Junior Varsity

Del Griffith is on a distinguished road
What Gus Dimmerling did to Massillon at that playoff game was legendary......
Old 10-09-17, 05:35 PM
All Yappi

I didn't realize Dimmerling was uh... of limited stature? We talking in general or for an athlete?

Saying our teams have exciting play-off runs, would be an understatement. I could go for a Toledo version of LaSalle. The Southview and the Sanz Catholic finals were exhausing, about the only word that fits. And cold. Yes add frigid. The police dogs were frozen mid pee in the Canfield-CCHS game. I swear the coaches were running plays to avoid or use the part of the field that was iced over.
Old 10-09-17, 08:09 PM
All World

Dimmerling? Eh? 6' 170? You'd watch the kid warm up and think ehhhhh? Then the whistle would blow and he was the best on the field. You'd leave the game and say to yourself, ok, I get it now.
Old 10-10-17, 09:59 AM
All District

Trailsendcustom is on a distinguished road
I got tackled by Dimmerling's mom after he scored a TD in the Massillon game. She hit hard for being 5'4" 120. I bet she had 25 tackles that game. #freehugs
Old 10-13-17, 05:05 AM
All World

Did not realize AW is 8th in Region 6 at 6-1. Wow. Springfield 10th. Northview is the lowest undefeated team in the region. Sometimes the harbins can be deceiving but this is not one of them. This may be the weakest the NLL has been in some time.
Old 10-13-17, 08:27 AM
Freshman

Majestic12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Did not realize AW is 8th in Region 6 at 6-1. Wow. Springfield 10th. Northview is the lowest undefeated team in the region. Sometimes the harbins can be deceiving but this is not one of them. This may be the weakest the NLL has been in some time.
The City League being SO BAD has something to do with it, especially for Northview and Springfield.