Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-09-17, 11:57 AM
Freshman

Mylo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
Probably more like 16 months, but. Guess time flies when you're really good friends.
8th and 9th grade year so thats 2 lol
Old 10-09-17, 07:18 PM
Varsity

Scrumper is on a distinguished road
Heard that WRs are getting back to full strength today. One more thing that Davidson must prepare for.

Anyone know the status of Davidson football field. Heard drainage problem may force the game to be moved. Any truth to that rumor?
Old 10-09-17, 08:02 PM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Their new turf field has drainage problems? Thought they were upgrading . lol, Getting healthy towards the end of the season is always a good thing , good to hear , like any football team the time to start peaking is the next few weeks going into the play-offs .

Davidson makes a big deal of Coffman week , alumni coming back for something or another said to bring their cleats ?? Kicker is a hero this week , team is celebrating the big win . Feeling pretty good about themselves, that should fire up Rocks pretty good , to stop that feeling that is .

Seniors last go around with Davidson , you don't want to lose this one fellas , go over there be men and take over the building as legendary hoops hall of fame HS coach coach Bob Hurley used to say . great documentary that he is part of at legendary ST Anthony's High in Jersey City NJ. It's called " The street stops here" I greatly recommend it .
Old 10-10-17, 08:23 AM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Will White find a way to even score now that Coffman has cracked the code?

If there are drainage problems, it's probably because somebody forgot to tell Carl Spackler (reserve scatback, class of '03) that it was no longer necessary to water the field 24x7 the week of the Coffman game.
Old 10-10-17, 08:44 AM
All District

Tiger Alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
Will White find a way to even score now that Coffman has cracked the code?

If there are drainage problems, it's probably because somebody forgot to tell Carl Spackler (reserve scatback, class of '03) that it was no longer necessary to water the field 24x7 the week of the Coffman game.
Not sure about the accuracy of this, but I heard from a friend at the CC home game on 9/29 that a HD JV game was moved from the high school field to the Middle school field due to a pipe "burst" the previous week I think. Darby has the same field but have not heard of any issues there. Hope the game is not moved but there was ALOT of rain on Sunday so.....
Old 10-10-17, 08:48 AM
Varsity

Like a cold sore truth boy is back. I guess we will see if the code is cracked, or not.
Old 10-10-17, 09:04 AM
Varsity

Or probably, who just wants it more, makes fewer mistakes, and plays with more emotion. BUT, I LIKE CRACKING THE CODE.
There will be some interesting match ups. A good run attack, vs a good front 7-9. The Davidson wide outs vs Coffman corners.that will be a barn burner. Don't sleep on those Wiley receivers. And will Coffman score enough points not to worry about a fake punt?
Old 10-10-17, 10:10 AM
Freshman

Mylo is on a distinguished road
I think Coffman wins by 2 TD's.....21-7
Old 10-10-17, 10:41 AM
All American

Well Mylo I certainly hope they can get 21 points and get that margin. I think they are capable of it but Davidson has a lot to play for as well . Coffman will do fine on defense I believe the key is scoring touchdowns . Be interesting to see what offensive game plan Coffman will come up with .
Old 10-10-17, 11:12 AM
Varsity

I just don't think 28 total pts will be scored in this game. Maybe 17 total pts.
Old 10-10-17, 11:39 AM
All American

As long as Coffman has at least 9 of those 17 we'll be happy
Old 10-10-17, 02:10 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumper View Post
truth boy is back
Just a driveby for reminiscing back to the good old days when this was the biggest game in town, LOL. This could be a repeat of the UA game in low scoring, but I'd be surprised if Wildcats score at all. Rocks might be underperforming, but that's still the best group of linebackers in town.
Old 10-10-17, 04:05 PM
Varsity

Good thing those those front three d lineman eat double teams so that the linebackers can roam free. So, I'd like to say it's a heck of a fro t seven doing there assignme t's that makes the defense run well.
Old 10-10-17, 04:15 PM
All American

Sappy is right these programs are in such disrepair that it' s been decades since this was a big game, point taken Sap , thanks for the contribution as always lol .

All sappy smack aside going to week 4 was not a great thing for the rivalry really, it was a bit better say week 7 or 8 with a league title on the line mostly with very few losses between the two and some years none . And also it's been rare when the teams were both experienced and or more loaded at the same time . Pretty evenly matched overall last year , Rocks probably more talented which isn't unusual but both teams didn't play like themselves and the result was the other won . it's back to later in the year but Sap is right certainly not a top game this year.

Recent games

2015 was all Davidson in a debacle of sloppiness and wretched turnovers onside kick fumbles , stupid penalties , you name it, it went wrong for Coffman . 2014 was Coffman's year winning twice, one comfortably one not so much . 2013 Davidson easily, 2012 Coffman easily in game one Davidson in a close one game two

Davidson is out of the play-offs , Coffman is likely in even at a potential 6-4 they have a 3 out 4 chance , but while they could lose to both UA and HD if not careful or careless, it's unlikely , but that doesn't mean Coffman is the only one to have something to play for , Davidson can salvage their season a bit by winning a league title with a win , they aren't losing to M-Ville or Westland with that on the line after a Coffman win .

Coffman would still have to beat UA { Westland is the other game} to get the Central title to themselves which truth be told they should be able to get personnel wise going against both UA and HD.

A lot for the Rocks to play for yet the aforementioned title and a possible rematch with Olentangy perhaps{ Kids remember that night and the crowd chants } , or a date with Dub Muirfield may be ? Bad draw might be Orange but a damn interesting game I think ? Lorain ? you hope that is one is home .

Whitmer looks like the class of R-2 ? But still 4-5 weeks I believe are in the Rocks future and some very competitive games and scenario's loom
Old 10-10-17, 04:23 PM
All American

Scrumper is right , the LB'S need the guys up front to eat some helmets sometimes two in order to do their jobs well. Rocks have been very solid in the front 7 , Bagozzi a rock and having a great year in the middle , Cummings a unique edge guy with Jr. Gill learning and improving and the four LB'S Hoak Crabtrree Boateng and Hamilton are as good a foursome as there is around these parts. Secondary is all new and has had some struggles at times , but also very good moments , all about the process of improving and gaining experience through more reps and challenges, I will say this though next year this secondary will be lights out .
Old 10-11-17, 10:15 AM
Varsity

56 hours and counting before Davidson game. One more good practice. Be prepared. Then go out and take care of business. And remember, they don't like you. They never have. And leave their seniors with fond memories of the last time they played Coffman.
Old 10-11-17, 11:13 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Alum View Post
Not sure about the accuracy of this, but I heard from a friend at the CC home game on 9/29 that a HD JV game was moved from the high school field to the Middle school field due to a pipe "burst" the previous week I think.
I've been told, by a very credible source, that the issue was with the restroom plumbing and not field drainage. [Will avoid making obvious Fulton Field Reference here]

Nonetheless, the issue has been fixed.
Old 10-11-17, 11:45 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumper View Post
56 hours and counting before Davidson game. One more good practice. Be prepared. Then go out and take care of business. And remember, they don't like you. They never have. And leave their seniors with fond memories of the last time they played Coffman.

When you look at this game objectively it seems similar to the 2014 first match up. This years HD offense is very similar to the 2014 struggles.However, HD's defense against the spread is woeful this year against good teams where as in 2014,the defense was very good and did an admirable job despite being on the field wayyyyy to much.
I'm going to defer to you guys on how this Coffman team compares to the 2014 Coffman team.That 2014 Coffman team was very good. This 2017 HD team IMO is worse overall than the 2014 team IMO. At least that 2014 HD defense could defend the spread reasonably well but this years defense simply cannot.It's been proven over and over and quite frustrating witnessing it but sometimes you just have to accept the talent level just isn't there to provide a pass rush or cover in the secondary. It is what it is.

On offense,I have yet to see any evidence that this years HD team can even score against your defense without the help of turnovers and a short field. I have been to every HD game this year and never have I seen so many turnovers,lack of execution,poor punting,poor kickoff coverage and drive killing 15 yard penalties on first downs.Again it is what it is.

In closing I hope for an injury free game and Go CATS !! (not alot of optimism in that chant though)
Old 10-11-17, 11:55 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
I've been told, by a very credible source, that the issue was with the restroom plumbing and not field drainage. [Will avoid making obvious Fulton Field Reference here]

Nonetheless, the issue has been fixed.
LOL ! Thanks. Out of curiosity last night, I actually made the long trip accross the street and the girls soccer team was playing on the field so that put it to rest in my mind.
Old 10-11-17, 12:56 PM
All World

http://www.thisweeknews.com/sports/2...-to-square-off

Game preview.
Old 10-11-17, 05:38 PM
All American

Well obviously this years edition is not 2014 , the only similarity is may be a very good Linebacker crew ? This one may be better overall. Offense there is no comparison to 2014 much less explosive, less experienced EVERYWHERE on that side of the ball. That team had 3 fulltime starters back on the O-line and one kid who got starts due to injury the year before and a newcomer to that side who is now at Penn State as an O-lineman . This year? ZERO returning full time starters although a couple kids did see some action due to injuries of starters .

Receivers ? Nolo contendere . Rocks had the whole stable back that year , this year the only guy who started the whole year last season hasn't been dressed for a game yet and hasn't even practiced for almost two months until this week ?? The other guy with experience is playing QB.

I would agree that the Rocks excellent LB crew is a big deal in this particular match-up as the defensive backs are a work in progress they just need to read keys and make sure they don't let guys get behind them a few times on play action or halfback passes as I am SURE THEY WILL COME BECUASE THEY WILL HAVE TO , because they should have difficulty running their regular stuff.

NO reason in the world for the Rocks to play tight here , they are a lock at 7-3 , but the thing is their season takes a real downturn with a loss here and not winning the league . The Seniors really believe they are the best group of Seniors in the Central and they should be champs .

White has all kinds of motivational tools at his disposal for this one. ""

""IT'S Coffman it's for the league title and we may not be going to the play-offs but I'll be goddamned if they come here and win a league title" . "" We will play with the crazies effort wise, " we will make this an ugly street fight " and be physically and mentally tougher" You know the spiel. We all know the Spiel . And he will remind once more

THIS IS COFFMAN and the players will roar out and want to kick some azzz . The question is can they actually do it? Play better for 48 minutes and score enough to win?

Their defense will be good enough at some points may be more than some points, but can the offense do enough against the best LB group they have seen and the best overall defense they have seen ? Some may have an argument with that last opinion but it may not be a good enough one .

Rocks need to match the early emotion, read keys and not get beat by any trick plays which in Davidson's case average play action passes and may be a half back pass or reverse pass? And execute on offense , lineman pad level needs to stay a bit lower and drive legs through blocks and they should be able to wear down the defense in the run game with two 195 pound back s pounding the rock to set up the pass at some point .

Low scoring , physical , lack of explosive plays on both sides and who is sharper and just better at executing what they do and their capability at doing it will determine the outcome of this one . Gut feel is Coffman 13- 6
Old 10-12-17, 01:36 PM
All American

WEEK 8 already , seems like I was at the Westy Central last scrimmage a few weeks ago two months goes by in a New York minute , season always flies by . Beat the man last week to the tune of 5 wins 1 loss and 2 pushes . Thought
Old 10-12-17, 02:08 PM
Freshman

LSpartans is on a distinguished road
Coffman destroys Davidson....was in town for the UA/ Davidson game and Davidson did not even get past the UA 25 yard line! I have to think that Coffman's Def is better than UA's Def. UA beat themselves...looked like they tried to beat the Hilliard team with their own medicine and a game of ball control. I have no idea why because that QB can make things happen. He has a rocket arm and some speed...they spread Davidson (I hear Dublin runs a spread) out and they had No answer….. people around me stated that (UA) they have injuries on offense at every position playing a lot of players Varsity this year that were slotted to play JV this year….keep up the good posts…this is how I find out about central Ohio football from up in the northwest…..
Old 10-12-17, 02:26 PM
All American

WEEK 8 already , seems like I was at the Westy Central last scrimmage a few weeks ago two months goes by in a New York minute , season always flies by . Beat the man last week to the tune of 5 wins 1 loss and 2 pushes . Thought PC would win easily , they didn't and that UA would nip Davidson as usual they didn't but covered the 4 points losing by 3 , and thought Olentangy would beat Orange in a close one took the two points and that's what they lost by despite being outcoached out hit, out hustled , outplayed, and basically just eviscerated really . It was said by a man ' WHO WAS THERE" a beating akin to what a full grown adult Neanderthal man would inflict on a ' Taut , pre-teen Swedish boy " Love the Cosmo Kramer reference there , the dungaree episode, thanks to the guy who gave me that description must have been a fan of the show . 5 wins as well and I didn't get the chance to get the Coffman game opinion but trust me I laid the 13 and had total confidence . I will go at my Man Louie's numbers again this week and attempt to add to my till with the understanding that Louie is at a disadvantage , his numbers are not subject to market forces, in other words the public laying money on one side moves numbers but Louie doesn't have that capability . And away we go.

Lenkuster at Gahanna - LP line - 11

Gales laid their hearts and private parts on the field last week and lost a really tough one. Caught Pick C in a sandwich game, I didn't think it would matter , but it certainly did. Gahanna is hurt limping in and is safely in the play-offs , the Gaels not so much , how much do the Gaels have left in the tank ? Not much lead I a suspect, a quarter tank of unleaded isn't going to get the job done on turf. Really tough call here, Gahanna is banged up and the Gaels are out of gas ? Where to go ?? I will grab the double digit head start and say Gahanna 24 Lancaster 17

Westy C at Orange - LP Line Orange - 13

Orange is a real threat to win R-2, Defense can go a long way in November football and Orange plays that really well . They are also in the middle of an Olentangy sandwich , huge win last week in a great comeback win vs Tangy and next week Liberty is on deck . HMMM Westy C basically has to win out to make the play-offs in Magistro's last season . Orange smells a possible undefeated season, they cleared a nice hurdle last week coming back from a three score deficit , I think they are focused enough to win this one and cover the number Orange 27 WC 10

Liberty at Olentangy - LP Line Tangy - 3

Tangy went to War last week and lost , Liberty kind of cruised , advantage Liberty , but Tangy I believe is the better team , not by a ton but a bit better and they are at home which despite the loss last week is a nice home field edge especially in HS . A ton on the line obviously in terms of the play-offs . I think Louie's line is really tight , spot on and I will take Tangy but barely O-Braves 24 Liberty Pats 20

Jerome at Bradley - LP Line HB - 13

Bradley is explosive, QB has learned the offense well and has three excellent receivers to get the ball to , he also has a bruising FB to take the heat off of the pass at times . Jerome is solid, they are strong they hit the weights hard , really competitive room with the kids wanting to be the strongest . Bradley is not a great match-up for the Celtics , when Jerome plays team that can throw it a bit { Orange and Pick North } They have struggled a bit , YOTW scored some n them as well , Scioto had them on the ropes, Bradley is a step up in class and I like the Celtics to battle and compete , I think they are a bit overmatched this year by this club Bradley 31 Jerome 14

To be continued
Old 10-12-17, 06:29 PM
All American

24 hours until kick-off , still hate the 7.00 start , the 30 point running clock as well. Both need to change , 36 points 40 is ideal , coaches should be trusted not to rub noses in the dirt or turf and so many more kids over 10 weeks get to see the field on a Friday night and most can play a series and still play JV the next morning . Seniors who are back-ups get more snaps most have endured 4 years as program players and deserve some playing time don't they? It's ridiculous that for decades the system worked, then an overreaction to a few rouge coaches and you take away snaps and playing time from deserving kids? That's what this is achieving , NOT TAKING AWAY SOME PAIN FROM THE LOSING TEAM .

OK that is off my chest so back to the games tomorrow

DeSales at Hartley - LP Line Stallions - 7

Both programs have been amassing top talent in greater numbers over the last 3-5 years and DeSales is even getting transfers at this point. Burchfield is pointing this out slyly as he self righteously tells everyone that transfers aren't his cup of tea and that if you don't start at Hartley you will not really know what it's all about and thus he doesn't take them ? Is that so ? You can't transfer in ? he won't let you? hmm . OK that's cool , I always pause when someone or something preaches that they are holier than thou , they are more moral than you are.

I always think of Billy Graham for some reason , or the saintly pastor in some small town with a few mistresses who he bonded with over bible readings. We can expect Sappy P in any moment now , can't wait , but Saint Brad is a good football coach , but I always pause when people judge others{ Obviously called out DeSales with his " we don't take transfers sanctimony } and crow a bit about how special they are morally speaking .

Ok Sappy I know you are reading at some point or your minions , but as far as the football game goes , Hartley is primed to get the win I believe and if they don't I get 7 points and I'll take them . DeSales 20 Hartley 17

Darby at Kilbourne - LP Line Darby - 5

Last week we loved Scioto to handle Kilbourne easily, the game was not as close as the score and we only laid a smidge , this week tis is my BEST BET, DARBY ROLLS THIS TEAM grinds them down as Kilbourne is injured at some key positions that are integral to defending what Darby does. Send it in on Darby Darby 31 Kilbourne 7

Continued
Old 10-13-17, 04:11 AM
All American

Week 8

PC at PN - LP Line Pick North - 4

Two heavyweights going at it in a situation where they may meet again , in fact I really think that will be the case at some point . Pretty straightforward game plan I see for PC here. Run the ball with their big experienced O-Line until PN proves it can stop it , run clock and grind rinse and repeat . Grab your real estate 4 yards at a time ,keep Jimmy Football off of the field and take the bus back down the street to go home . PN has some speed on defense , not a lot of big boy size on that side . Size for speed ? Not really , because PC obviously has some of that as well .

PN is not going to attack like Lancaster did obviously, but their strengths play into some of PC strengths on defense. Weirick is going to make plays against anyone 's defense in the state , but I think over 48 the PC size and strength wears on North and propels them to a close win . Should be a great ballgame , but HAVE TO TAKE THE 4 POINTS HERE . PC 23 PN 21

Coffman at Davidson - LP LINE Coffman - 4

Line is fair, , Rocks don'[t score as much this year , or at least don't score through the air much and Davidson will always try to and usually are successful at limiting their opponents run game. Lately they have had trouble defending the pass though . Coffman doesn't pass as well this year, they literally have a handful of TD passes, not last week or in the last few ballgames like usual BUT ALL SEASON LONG .

Now that isn't to say that they couldn't have some more if they had attempted to throw it into the end zone deep in the red zone at times but their run game has been pretty good and adept at getting the ball into the end zone with two good 195 pound backs in Cam Scott and Gavin Sturdivant . QB Marcus Ernst is also a good ball handler and his keepers have also resulted in TD'S something Davidson needs to watch and I am sure has prepared for.

Davidson stuffed UA on the ground last week _ 20 attempts 40 yards} , UA had some guys out which helped the HD cause, but they won a ballgame with 3 yards a play 167 total yards and ZERO TD'S , and a terrible 2 for 14 on third downs , They did convert 4 of 6 FOURTH downs however which was key.

UA had 228 total yards but was also atrocious on 3rd down going 3 for 13 . Davidson achieved one of their stapled goals which was 30 minutes of possession . Coffman is a better club than UA I believe , a better run game , pass games ? not sure of the difference , but Rocks run game will likely set up the pass better than UA'S did .

HD offensive woes seem to be a collective drop in production. In other words it sint just a question of a bad O-Line or weak runners and inexperience. It seems to be a question of the QB position not having the same run threat or feel for it , the fullback slot isn't as productive or pounding and effective at setting up QB runs or outside pitches, and while the running backs are a bit quicker overall, they are also smaller and certainly don't run through tackles like a Ryan Royer or going back a while Spencer Delande or even Bo Delande. Having played in the defensive backfield at times in my day I admit that having a hard charging Delande coming at me gaining steam through the secondary may not have been what I hoped for at my then 165 pounds LOL Davidson doesn't have that this year , the guy who can consistently disappear into the pile and mayhem and move that pile another 3 yards after contact .

Rocks have a good match -up here, they have a man in the middle Hoak who is one of the more underrated LB'S in the area if not the most underrated, all football player , going to Youngstown State, the act that not one MAC school offered as I have said boggles my mind , he's better than at least 30 40 percent of the kids that got offers there IMO .

Anyway they also have Michigan State commit Boateng on the outside who the HD backs won't be able to get around or by and Crabtree will cover the other side very well. HD dive game isn't the same, and that will be a key . Have real trouble as most people seeing HD move it much.

Coffman will also have trouble at times as well but I like them to be able at some point run the ball with Sturdivant and Scott. Gavin may be especially fired up seeing as he hasn't played HD really having gotten hurt two years ago very early in the game and last year missed both games after hurting his knee Guessing Gavin won't be going down on first contact much tonight.

Rocks O-line I they focus well on good pad level { Lower no standing straight up } driving their legs consistently finishing blocks they should be able to wear the defense down at some point . Pass game will open up a bit if they can do that.

Look for Dlulzynski to be a factor he ahs really gotten better and is a good solid receiver for the Rocks , really good hands and I believe if the work is done will be a force next year with about 12-15 more pounds .

Holcomb at 6-3 250 is a bruising tough blocker at H-Back and I believe he will be very effective taking on the LEO or others at the point of attack , and will be a factor as well .

Rocks just need to match emotion and energy , be men and execute and they will really enjoy the 15 minute bus ride home .

Coffman 17 - HD 6
Old 10-13-17, 05:45 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSpartans View Post
Coffman destroys Davidson....was in town for the UA/ Davidson game and Davidson did not even get past the UA 25 yard line!
43, 48, 43. Keep the kid past the 35 yd line.

I think Davidson wins in a tight one - at the cross country meet. Scoreless this evening though.
Old 10-13-17, 08:40 AM
All World

The lack of production from the QB in the run game is definitely a big issue. I think it is reported that he has 103 yards through 7 games? Not trying to bag or insult him at all, he may carry out the other assignments well and simply may just not be a runner.

Nonetheless, Davidson's system is at its best when they have a Trubiano type who can do damage off of the midline keeper. That opens up a lot of things.

Davidson surprised a lot of us by using the fullback effectively in this matchup last year, so maybe they surprise us with the QB keeper in this one, but I think the lack of 'punch' on offense will be the difference here. I think Coffman wins this if they have <3 turnovers.
Old 10-13-17, 08:57 AM
All American

Yes the first game Davidson had a handful of plays that gashed the defense which was a bit surprising including the fullback a few times . Second game there were no gash plays I suppose you could say. I see a good effort with Bsgozzi in the middle and the LBs making things happen preventing much production . They have used two QBs . Against Liberty one had 100 yards. But it took him 30 carries , but they hung in there pretty well and had a chance with the ball to tie it late . Lost 17-10 couldn't cover 6-5 Roderick and Wiseman got loose on a skinny post for a TD . I see a similar type game here but different plan from Coffman than Patriots had and a better overall defense
Old 10-14-17, 10:20 AM
All American

Not sure what to make of that game really. it was Friday the 13th so I guess it's not really surprising . But weird , kind of crazy and surreal comes to mind I guess . But as always I type exactly what I think, and what I was thinking at the time .

Coffman again like 2015 when they drove up Avery to go over there, they threw up on themselves at the start of the game . Fumbled on the first play of the game , 21 yard TD drive for Davidson, nice option pitch netted 10 yards I believe being the key pay of the LOOOONNNGGG 20 + yard drive . Incredible was what I was thinking to be honest , will this happen again ? Kind of slept walked through the first quarter or so , but credit to them they answered with a long drive to tie it , one o three long ones to score points . Big play in the pass game helped them down inside the 15 , Mike Drennan making his first appearance of the season and he was an instant difference maker . Nice to see him out there looking really good despite limited practice time .

Settle for a field goal as time was an issue . Feeling good considering the awkwardly bad start, third quarter was all Rocks as well as it became apparent they were the better team, run game was working with Cam Scott primarily and Dluyzinski and Drennan had big plays . Real nice option keeper TD run by Ernst with Drennan the decoy as 3 guys went towards him understandably so , so Mike not only made some big plays but is also capable because of his dangerousness opening up some things for others HUGE to get him back on the field .

17-7 and cruising going to the 4th quarter then some weird things kept happening

to be continued ,