Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-12-17, 09:44 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Side note since a few have brought up junior high and pee wee here: unless I'm misinformed, Greenon's going to finish first or second in the OHC South in 8th grade football. Their current freshmen went 6-1-1 last year in the CBC as 8th graders, and I believe a few play extensively on the varsity team, including the QB. Give it a few years, and I think they'll emerge as a real threat in the OHC South and possibly be one of the better teams in the league as a whole.
Old 10-12-17, 11:50 PM
Varsity

Cville-OMW is on a distinguished road
I believe some of my WJ brethren are getting sensitive in their old or young ages!!! I also enjoy the entertainment and am glad it hasn't turned into some of these other ugly threads that seem to know little
To nothing about football
There is really no argument against WJ really really soft schedule and it certainly did not hurt that we had BURG at home after they came off a war with WLS but to the WJ boys credit they have taken care of things they can control and stayed focused week by week which is what they are taught the 1st day they enter the program. We certainly have been on the other side of the fence as well.
If WJ continues to win they will have every opportunity to prove themselves with some playoff wins.
Lambert is a key for WJ but is not the typical QB we have had at WJ as he is not quite as mobile as one's we have had in recent history. However he also is a rare multiple year starter which WJ has not had in recent history. My stats guy can confirm but I believe you have to go back k to days of DJ Mendenhal which was 8-9 years ago. We are truly blessed to have the staff, school and community support we have at WJ.
Go Riders, good luck to all tonight.
Old 10-13-17, 12:21 AM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
I don't think the MSL division West Jeff and Plains were in is nearly as deep as it was last year, but it's still far from a cakewalk. London and Columbus Academy are really good. Whitehall is ok. Calpreps favors both London and Academy over West Jeff (as well as over the other OHC big dogs for those curious, with most matchups by 8-14 points). West Jeff would be a 7 point favorite over Whitehall. IMO odds are they'd lose to both London and Academy this year, and they could have had a tough crossover game depending on the draw (i.e. Amanda-Clearcreek, Bloom Carroll or Harvest Prep).
For what its worth, had WJ (and MP) stayed in the MSL there would not be any crossover games in the MSL anymore (or at least any between West Jeff and a Buckeye Division school.) This is the first year of the MSL mandating crossover games between the Buckeye and Ohio divisions; this move was prompted by the MSL-Ohio losing several conference members. Now, in years previous, West Jeff would play a crossover opponent from the Cardinal (which, to put it simply, is basically a league full of teams much like SCC, Greenon, Cedarville, Triad, Southeastern and Northeastern. Some years better, some years worse.) However, that crossover set-up was eliminated following the conclusion of the 2016 season.
Old 10-13-17, 07:41 AM
All Region

Jet19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Side note since a few have brought up junior high and pee wee here: unless I'm misinformed, Greenon's going to finish first or second in the OHC South in 8th grade football. Their current freshmen went 6-1-1 last year in the CBC as 8th graders, and I believe a few play extensively on the varsity team, including the QB. Give it a few years, and I think they'll emerge as a real threat in the OHC South and possibly be one of the better teams in the league as a whole.
It would be a huge win for them if they can beat Plains tonight.
Old 10-13-17, 02:42 PM
All Region

Games on radio.
West Jefferson @ Northeastern http://readyfm.com/

Mechanicsburg @ Triad http://www.champaignsportsauthority.com/

Cedarville @ Greeneview http://myclassiccountry.com/

Peak of Ohio will have some CBC games on as well including Bellefontaine vs Shawnee.
http://peakofohio.com/pages/index.cfm?id=1060

I would honestly like to hear SE vs CC or MP vs Greenon but I couldn't find them.
Old 10-13-17, 02:46 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
For what its worth, had WJ (and MP) stayed in the MSL there would not be any crossover games in the MSL anymore (or at least any between West Jeff and a Buckeye Division school.) This is the first year of the MSL mandating crossover games between the Buckeye and Ohio divisions; this move was prompted by the MSL-Ohio losing several conference members. Now, in years previous, West Jeff would play a crossover opponent from the Cardinal (which, to put it simply, is basically a league full of teams much like SCC, Greenon, Cedarville, Triad, Southeastern and Northeastern. Some years better, some years worse.) However, that crossover set-up was eliminated following the conclusion of the 2016 season.
Hey, you seem to be the most knowledgeable person about the MSL on here. How good do you think London really is? The last time they went to the playoffs in 1999 and was 10-0 with Andre Tyree who went on to Ohio State they beat us 36-7. lol. We played London week 3 that year who was 10-0 and Bellefontaine week 7 that year who was 10-0. Bellefontaine beat us 39-0. lol. The best two teams I ever faced.

And on another note you have the most knowledge of the Fairbanks program of anyone on here. I have been asked by a few people and I was not 100% sure. Is Fairbanks QB a freshman?
Old 10-13-17, 03:52 PM
Varsity

roughriderpride is on a distinguished road
There are 13 seniors and out of the 13 seniors, 11 start.
There are a lot of underclassman that get a lot of playing time.
Next year, (SR) Justin Williams will take over at the qb spot, 6' 4" 180 and with work over the summer should be good for a 1 year qb.
After that in 2019 a soph should take over for a big 3 year run.
WJ won't be a bottom feeder next year!

After last season, wj lost a lot to graduation and then things only got better!
Old 10-13-17, 04:51 PM
All District

Bluehawg is on a distinguished road
Don't forget Beuscher oldest son will be I believe a Freshman next year
Old 10-13-17, 04:53 PM
All District

London is good. That running back they have is the REAL DEAL. They will make it to probable round 3 playoffs. Not enough of a team around him to make it farther....my opinion. But let me tell you, KJ Price is the real deal!!!
Old 10-13-17, 07:11 PM
All Region

Last I heard London was up 10-0 on Bishop Ready in the 2nd Q.

West Jefferson is up 48-0 with 2mins left in the 2nd Q on Northeastern

Last I heard Madison Plains was up 24-0 on Greenon.
Old 10-13-17, 08:57 PM
Varsity

WJfan4life is on a distinguished road
West Jeff 62 Northeastern 14 Final
Old 10-13-17, 09:16 PM
All Yappi

Other finals:

WLS 27 Fairbanks 24
Southeastern 33 SCC 16
Greeneview 63 Cedarville 12
Burg 42 Triad 0
Plains 30 Greenon 6
Old 10-13-17, 09:28 PM
All Region

Thumbs up

Good win for Coach Printz and Southeastern. Huge game for 2nd place next week vs Madison Plains for the Trojans.
Old 10-13-17, 09:30 PM
All Region

Quote:
Other finals:

WLS 27 Fairbanks 24
Southeastern 33 SCC 16
Greeneview 63 Cedarville 12
Burg 42 Triad 0
Plains 30 Greenon 6
Wow, I really wish Fairbanks could have beaten Ben Logan week one and they would be knocking on the reg 23 playoff door one would think? Fairbanks is prob my fav team in the OHC this season.
Old 10-13-17, 09:38 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJfan4life View Post
West Jeff 62 Northeastern 14 Final
Well, my pick was almost right? lol 36-14. Hats off to West Jefferson. From what I heard they are by far the best team Northeastern has played all season. Not to look past WLS or anything, but I am actually anxious to see what the Rough Riders can do against the likes of Greeneview and Anna come playoff time.
Old 10-13-17, 09:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet19 View Post
Good win for Coach Printz and Southeastern. Huge game for 2nd place next week vs Madison Plains for the Trojans.
Region 28 is so weak SE may have a shot at a playoff spot if they can win out and get a little bit of help.
Old 10-13-17, 10:28 PM
All American

BHiatt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Other finals:
Burg 42 Triad 0
Congratulations to Coach Kurt Forrest at Mechanicsburg as their win tonight makes him the winnigest coach in the programs history!!

Well deserved for a great coach!
Old 10-13-17, 10:29 PM
Junior Varsity

OHC is on a distinguished road
Ohio Heritage Conference 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet19 View Post
Wow, I really wish Fairbanks could have beaten Ben Logan week one and they would be knocking on the reg 23 playoff door one would think? Fairbanks is prob my fav team in the OHC this season.

I got to see Fairbanks for the second time this season. They run an uptempo spread and are actually pretty fun to watch. Having seen both them and Ben Logan play, I would venture to say that Fairbanks would win easily if they were to play again, as they looked so much better since the beginning of the season. Both #4's for Fairbanks (WR) and WLS (QB) really took the game over. They are both studs that you could definitely see playing on Saturdays at some level after high school. The game tonight was very entertaining. On to week 9.

Last edited by OHC; 10-13-17 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-14-17, 09:23 AM
All American

AHS2007 is on a distinguished road
Ohio Heritage Conference 2017

After looking at Joe Eitelís site will WLS, , Greenville,or WJ make the playoffs all are in 8 or 9 positions. Mechanicsburg has best chance at 6th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-17, 09:53 AM
Varsity

Purplepuma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHS2007 View Post
After looking at Joe Eitelís site will WLS, , Greenville,or WJ make the playoffs all are in 8 or 9 positions. Mechanicsburg has best chance at 6th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WJ/WLS might be a playoff elimination game based on how things are shaking out in the two regions.

Greeneview will get it in, but now look to be a bottom half seed. Of course if they stumble vs SCC or MP they will not get in.
Old 10-14-17, 11:01 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
When The OHC expanded who decided how the conference would be split up? I think this year is showing how it is not working well at all. Forget driving distance, the conference should have been madeup by large schools and small. Putting Greeneview in the south with mostly small schools has really hurt them. After week 8 and Greeneview is 8 and 0 and is in 9th place in the region and West Jefferson is 7 and 0 and is in 8th place in the region. Sure would have help one of these two school if they played each other. It is a real possibililty Greeneview could go 10 and 0 and not make the playoffs.
Old 10-14-17, 11:53 AM
Varsity

Purplepuma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
When The OHC expanded who decided how the conference would be split up? I think this year is showing how it is not working well at all. Forget driving distance, the conference should have been madeup by large schools and small. Putting Greeneview in the south with mostly small schools has really hurt them. After week 8 and Greeneview is 8 and 0 and is in 9th place in the region and West Jefferson is 7 and 0 and is in 8th place in the region. Sure would have help one of these two school if they played each other. It is a real possibililty Greeneview could go 10 and 0 and not make the playoffs.

Greeneview gets in at 10-0, they will pick up enough 2nd Level points the next two weeks to get in. Plus I expect Brookville to lose the next two which will open up a spot.

WLS-Color might be able to shed more light on it, but I thought the conference was set up based on driving distance. Football isn't that big of deal, but I would think sending teams mid-week on long drives is an issue.
Old 10-14-17, 11:53 AM
All District

It's the crossover games that hurt this year. We should have 3 out of conference games. The league as a whole is just not very tough right now except for a few teams at the top and I would think you have to include Fairbanks as one of those top teams. But to only play 2 out of conference games and for West Jeff that couldn't find an app one that and had to schedule the Crusaders it really hurt.

Last edited by Bluehawg; 10-14-17 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Error
Old 10-14-17, 12:14 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehawg View Post
It's the crossover games that hurt this year. We should have 3 out of conference games. The league as a whole is just not very tough right now except for a few teams at the top and I would think you have to include Fairbanks as one of those top teams. But to only play 2 out of conference games and for West Jeff that couldn't find an app one that and had to schedule the Crusaders it really hurt.

Is there any way that can be changed before next season? Nothing against the West Jefferson @ West Liberty Salem game that I have a feeling will be a good one, but those are both week 11 teams with their playoff hopes on the line because of exactly what you pointed out. This should be for an OHC North title, not playoff hopes.
Old 10-14-17, 12:18 PM
All Region

A few really good games this coming Friday! Outside of the obvious, I really like the Madison Plains @ Southeastern game too.
Old 10-14-17, 01:48 PM
All Yappi

Spitting by enrollment instead of geography just creates a different set of issues IMO. The OHC would be far better off by dropping a crossover game. By enrollment, I'm guessing there's a good chance West Jeff, G'View and WLS would be together (with Plains, Greenon and NE). 'Burg gets screwed really badly in that scenario if their crossover schedule is bad. Currently, everybody would still have to play two bad teams in their division. It would be far better to allow more scheduling flexibility and to try to forecast "even" crossover matchups in advance.

Edit: Actually it would be Fairbanks instead of WLS in the "big school" division. WLS, Fairbanks and NE are all pretty close in enrollment, and a true enrollment-based divisional system would probably have some movement every 1-2 enrollment cycles. It seems like it would be better to just flip West Jeff for Greenon and maybe NE for SCC if the divisions were to be shuffled.
Old 10-15-17, 01:06 AM
Varsity

1. First Half Total Yardage:
West Jefferson 507 yards
Northeastern 17 yards
2. 96 Yard TD pass from Lance Lambert to Caleb Vanhook breaks the previous school record of 94 yards (1989 Zane Cobb to Denny Wippel

Passing: Lance Lambert, 18 of 24, (75%) for 374 yards, 4 TDs & 1 INT (20.7 per comp)
Rushing: Gabe Jones, 9 rushes (13.6 avg) for 123 yards, 2 TDs
Receiving: Caleb Vanhook, 5 receptions for 153 yards, 2 TDs

Only 1st half stats!

The NE starters scored 2 TD's late in the second half on the rider jv and freshman.
And the freshman and jv teams of wj also scored 2 late TD's on the starters of NE.
Old 10-15-17, 01:25 AM
Varsity

Greenview makes it in but they are probably the 7th seed playing at Anna week 1 cause Anna should lose 1 more to Coldwater.
I want Greenview and wj to hook up in the playoffs but it doesn't look like it will happen.

Next week, most think the wj @ WLS game will be a good one but if wj plays at the level they did Friday night I don't see it being much of a game.
Now if wls can get wj shook up like Burg did early and jump on some mistakes then it just might be interesting.
Friday night has been the best wj has looked this season aside of the penalties.
Lambert is the best throwing, most accurate qb I have seen in my time and I have seen some good ones.
Mendenhall, Keel sorry to leave out a couple of names.
Old 10-15-17, 08:58 AM
All District

Down The Road is on a distinguished road
Thoughts on a few things -
The splitting of the teams north to south does make travel for mid week winter sports way better and that does mater as for the football part things change and cycle up and down in small school football just 4/5 years ago Triad is winning the OHC and making it to regional finals talent cycle changes and now.... dropping a crossover game although it would add a chance for a top team to hopefully get a win the bottom end teams are likely going to add a loss and if they are your crossover match up or on your side you don't gain much. Plus these teams have ties to each other as many should play as often as possible. On splitting it into big and small that I think is starting to get talked about - what I hear there are several pushing it and at least 1 in the south not wanting anything to do with it.
On the field the WLS/WJ game should be a good one this week. The defense's will tell the tale of this one Lambert is good but WLS has some weapons too and if the tigers can spread the ball around to them it could be interesting I do feel the RR's are the favorites but the game is played for a reason.
The playoff picture is interesting for the Burg we will have to win out and that's no easy task at this point! The OHC teams in D5R20 should be able to make some noise besides Anna that is wide open!
Another Burg note - on here the talk has been about the Burg youth I just wanted give atta boys to the Seniors Hunt, Knapp, Propst, & Samples for leading and playing big vs Triad last Friday. Also congratulations to coach Forrest for passing coach Wass for the most wins by a Burg coach!

Last edited by Down The Road; 10-15-17 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 10-15-17, 09:35 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down The Road View Post
Thoughts on a few things -
The splitting of the teams north to south does make travel for mid week winter sports way better and that does mater as for the football part things change and cycle up and down in small school football just 4/5 years ago Triad is winning the OHC and making it to regional finals talent cycle changes and now.... dropping a crossover game although it would add a chance for a top team to hopefully get a win the bottom end teams are likely going to add a loss and if they are your crossover match up or on your side you don't gain much. Plus these teams have ties to each other as many should play as often as possible. On splitting it into big and small that I think is starting to get talked about - what I hear there are several pushing it and at least 1 in the south not wanting anything to do with it.
On the field the WLS/WJ game should be a good one this week. The defense's will tell the tale of this one Lambert is good but WLS has some weapons too and if the tigers can spread the ball around to them it could be interesting I do feel the RR's are the favorites but the game is played for a reason.
The playoff picture is interesting for the Burg we will have to win out and that's no easy task at this point! The OHC teams in D5R20 should be able to make some noise besides Anna that is wide open!
Another Burg note - on here the talk has been about the Burg youth I just wanted give atta boys to the Seniors Hunt, Knapp, Propst, & Samples for leading and playing big vs Triad last Friday.
I believe Cedarville was a playoff team the last time Triad won the league as well? I see Greenon, Fairbanks, and Northeastern being really good in the next 2-8 season.