Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-13-17, 08:44 AM
Freshman

123baseball is on a distinguished road
Pbr

Is it a Honor to be invited to the PBR Underclass Trails ? Anyone been to one and can describe or rate their expierence?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-17, 09:44 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
PBR is good at what they do. No doubt about it.

It also is definitely a business, and one that is looking to grow. Their top-ranked players are surely top players, but don't doubt for a minute that they also need other players to place below those top players - to make the list impressive-looking. So, an honor ? I don't know about that.....

Does that make sense to you ?

If money isn't too tight, go and compete.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 04-13-17 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-13-17, 09:46 AM
Junior Varsity

bsb1817 is on a distinguished road
This is more of an ID event than anything else. The big events for PBR are the Future Games and Top Prospect Games. If you son has a legitimate chance of getting invited to the future games, he should attended the underclass trials (FG guys are usually 86+ on the mound for RHP, 84+ for LHP, legit "offerable" position players). The unsigned senior games are also good for seniors trying to get seen before fall starts, a lot of coaches at those events. All PBR events are good for getting measurables verified and getting quality video, however if you are going to the underclass trials expecting to get an offer from OSU, that aint happening unless your kid is legit.
Old 04-13-17, 11:06 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsb1817 View Post
This is more of an ID event than anything else. The big events for PBR are the Future Games and Top Prospect Games. If you son has a legitimate chance of getting invited to the future games, he should attended the underclass trials (FG guys are usually 86+ on the mound for RHP, 84+ for LHP, legit "offerable" position players). The unsigned senior games are also good for seniors trying to get seen before fall starts, a lot of coaches at those events. All PBR events are good for getting measurables verified and getting quality video, however if you are going to the underclass trials expecting to get an offer from OSU, that aint happening unless your kid is legit.
And if your kid is legit, and he knows that he wants to go to tOSU for sure, he won't need PBR at all. Send some email with video and your summer schedule to the coaches, go to their camp, and you'll be good if there is a need at your son's position and he's good enough.

PBR is about mass exposure, especially for the undecided. They do that very well.
Old 04-13-17, 03:45 PM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
And if your kid is legit, and he knows that he wants to go to tOSU for sure, he won't need PBR at all. Send some email with video and your summer schedule to the coaches, go to their camp, and you'll be good if there is a need at your son's position and he's good enough.

PBR is about mass exposure, especially for the undecided. They do that very well.
There are very few kids that get recruited based only on an email and a video. Coaches don't have time to run out to a travel team game to see one kid....they'll go to events that have multiple kids they want to see in the same day or weekend. Sure you can send an email and video, but it's much more effective if the kid has independent verified numbers (PBR or otherwise) to back it up. Most parents can't shoot a video and have a velo number in it because they don't own a radar gun. You'll also be in front of 20,30 or more coaches all at the same time instead of just being in front of one staff at a college camp. $300 for a PBR camp is a heck of a deal compared to $100-150 for one school's camp. Camps are fine, but keep in mind that in most cases, the team already has a half dozen or more "invited" guys there that they really want to see. Sure kids can show up and do well, but it's going to take some very legit numbers to get serious notice from a camp. You'll always seen something in a teams camp brochure saying "we recruited XX kids from our camp the past 10 seasons". Sure, they came to the camp....but likely were already being heavily recruited before they got there. Most of the other kids at a camp are just there to help pay the bills lol
Old 04-13-17, 06:56 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
The top PBR events will draw a significant number of college recruiters/coaches. But many of the PBR showcases, specifically those indoors and smaller events throughout the year don't draw anywhere close to a big number of coaches. I have been to a few PBR indoor events that literally no college coach showed up to. It's a business first, as evidence by the other coaches, (Agona) etc who have begun to run their own showcases. Initially, PBR would be invited, show up and "scout" the event, yet not post the individual numbers. Even though some PBR staff were assisting at the event, and recording the results. Then it has progressed where PBR will co-sponsor an off season showcase with a specific organization, (usually at a reduced cost), and then post the final numbers on the PBR site. Some of the larger travel organizations have had success combining with other organizations (ie: Ohio Elite/Ohio Longhorns, Brownlee/Ohio Warhawks) to run their own showcases, with large numbers of college coaches in attendance, which helps translate into future college offers for those kids. PBR obviously can get expensive, and not every talented baseball player can afford to attend many events. More than a few of these kids have been recruited via these other events, just like so many kids who participate in many PBR events are still looking for a college opportunity.
Old 04-13-17, 08:37 PM
All Yappi

I've always enjoyed reading your posts, tcgo. I think that at the very least we may have a different idea of what "legit" means.

I'm also not sure if you have reading comprehension issues, or if you just like to jump to conclusions. If you'd ever like me to clarify anything, I'll always reply to a direct question, and usually right when I read it. You cover a lot in your post, so I'll just respond in bold type below to each thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
There are very few kids that get recruited based only on an email and a video.
I would think not, but you are the only one that has said that. I suggested an email and a video as a starting point for a "legit" player. If a 16 year old kid can honestly email a coach that he's been clocked at 87, or maybe that his batted ball exit velocity from a tee is consistently +92, the coach will take the time to watch the video even if a call's coming in.

Quote:
Coaches don't have time to run out to a travel team game to see one kid....they'll go to events that have multiple kids they want to see in the same day or weekend.
I know. I pretty much said the same thing a few posts back ( and extensively in post #25 here - http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthre...94#post6746394 ) Again, you are the only person to say that. Are you responding to voices in your head now, or just creating an excuse to preach ? Most "legit" kids that I've been around don't really play a league schedule anymore at 16 and especially 17. They are going to at least a few of the same high-traffic tournaments that the coaches or their assistants are going to attend. The initial email that I suggested, in many cases, can maximize an opportunity for paths to cross. If the kid is dying to go to school in Arizona and he's only playing in Ohio and Indiana, that could be tough, but these guys circulate around their own and bordering states pretty well.

Quote:
Sure you can send an email and video, but it's much more effective if the kid has independent verified numbers (PBR or otherwise) to back it up. Most parents can't shoot a video and have a velo number in it because they don't own a radar gun.
True enough.....but yet again, this part is just you and another one of your strawman arguments. Most "legit" club teams/programs own several radar guns. If coaches like the numbers in the email and they add up with the video of a "legit" prospect, the coaches will happily put their own gun on a player at a big tournament.

Quote:
You'll also be in front of 20,30 or more coaches all at the same time instead of just being in front of one staff at a college camp. $300 for a PBR camp is a heck of a deal compared to $100-150 for one school's camp. Camps are fine, but keep in mind that in most cases, the team already has a half dozen or more "invited" guys there that they really want to see.
I know. Some of those invited kids are invited because they or their parents have contacted the coaching staff and/or a staff member has seen them at a tournament that kids team has paid a fair amount of money to place him in. It happens that way for "legit" players all the time.

Quote:
Sure kids can show up and do well, but it's going to take some very legit numbers to get serious notice from a camp. You'll always seen something in a teams camp brochure saying "we recruited XX kids from our camp the past 10 seasons". Sure, they came to the camp....but likely were already being heavily recruited before they got there. Most of the other kids at a camp are just there to help pay the bills lol.
Just like the majority of the PBR attendees, right ? lol

I've got nothing at all against PBR. I'm probably closer to it than you would imagine, and I know at least one PBR guy that is gonna be shaking his head and possibly laughing at this post. PBR is the best thing for a talented Ohio kid that has no real direction regarding which schools he wants to attend. I'm only saying that if a kid has it narrowed down to a few different schools in the states surrounding his own, and he is a "legit" talent, the odds are great that he can get things done without an outfit like PBR. That's all that I've ever said on this matter from the beginning (so you can keep all the junk that you invented - lol). Starting this way before his 16u summer season begins can certainly be enough to let him know if he needs PBR. If he is "legit", his PBR numbers before 17u summer begins will be there in plenty of time for mass marketing.

I hope that you now understand my position on the subject, tc. I've certainly done my part.

Edit: Had to cut that up for clarity's sake. Came back, and it made my eyes hurt.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 04-13-17 at 10:19 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-13-17, 08:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
The top PBR events will draw a significant number of college recruiters/coaches. But many of the PBR showcases, specifically those indoors and smaller events throughout the year don't draw anywhere close to a big number of coaches. I have been to a few PBR indoor events that literally no college coach showed up to. It's a business first, as evidence by the other coaches, (Agona) etc who have begun to run their own showcases. Initially, PBR would be invited, show up and "scout" the event, yet not post the individual numbers. Even though some PBR staff were assisting at the event, and recording the results. Then it has progressed where PBR will co-sponsor an off season showcase with a specific organization, (usually at a reduced cost), and then post the final numbers on the PBR site. Some of the larger travel organizations have had success combining with other organizations (ie: Ohio Elite/Ohio Longhorns, Brownlee/Ohio Warhawks) to run their own showcases, with large numbers of college coaches in attendance, which helps translate into future college offers for those kids. PBR obviously can get expensive, and not every talented baseball player can afford to attend many events. More than a few of these kids have been recruited via these other events, just like so many kids who participate in many PBR events are still looking for a college opportunity.
All true. "Legit", even.

lol