Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-05-17, 08:09 AM
93 red ls 93 red ls is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-22-13
Posts: 361
93 red ls is on a distinguished road
Who wins the GMC baseball title?

2015-2016 Fairfield, Mason
2014-2015 Lakota West
2013-2014 Lakota West
2012-2013 Mason
2011-2012 Mason
2010-2011 Lakota East


4 different teams have won the title in the past 6 years so who will come away with it this year?

there are only 2 undefeated league teams left (oak hills and Fairfield)
they face off next week Monday and Wednesday.

Fairfield has 2 pitchers @ 2-0
Kurt Lange (0 ERA)
Ryan Barker

Sycamore has 3 kids who have hit HR's this season

Jay Fields, Sycamore 2
Victor Garnica, Sycamore 1
Jacob Kotzin, Sycamore 1

strikeout leaders

Jarod Roblin, Princeton 18
Jacob Kates, Lakota West 16
Jake Pennington, Hamilton 14
Will Pfennig, Mason 13
Ryan Kellum, Hamilton 11



Hitting leaders

Kyle Fehr, Sycamore 0.571
Kaleb Ford, Fairfield 0.571
Winston Owens, Lakota East 0.556
Austin Andrews, Hamilton 0.538
Andrew Sams, Fairfield 0.533
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-10-17, 09:47 AM
93 red ls 93 red ls is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-22-13
Posts: 361
93 red ls is on a distinguished road
cards, LW and FF all have 1 lose and are tied for the league.

fields from sycamore and Kates from LW have 3 wins each
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-12-17, 11:03 PM
SouthwestOhioGuy17 SouthwestOhioGuy17 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-22-15
Posts: 810
SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Game story

Fairfield earns another gritty win against Highlanders

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/f...S4F9n53U4iwyM/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-13-17, 08:14 AM
93 red ls 93 red ls is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-22-13
Posts: 361
93 red ls is on a distinguished road
BATTING AVERAGE

AVG

1 . Ben Grossheim, Sycamore 0.560
2 . Winston Owens, Lakota East 0.556
3 . Kaleb Ford, Fairfield 0.533
4 . Jake Pennington, Hamilton 0.522
5 . Brennen Martin, Lakota West 0.517



RUNS BATTED IN

RBI

1 . Bryce Johnson, Lakota West 12
1 . Brennen Martin, Lakota West 12
3 . Jake Borman, Sycamore 11
3 . Aaron Levy, Princeton 11
3 . Dominic Schivone, Lakota West 11


1 . Ryan Barker, Fairfield 3
1 . Jay Fields, Sycamore 3
1 . Jared Flueck, Colerain 3
1 . Jacob Kates, Lakota West 3
1 . Kurt Lange, Fairfield 3



STRIKEOUTS

K

1 . Jacob Kates, Lakota West 19
2 . Jared Flueck, Colerain 18
2 . Ryan Kellum, Hamilton 18
2 . Jarod Roblin, Princeton 18
5 . Nick Northcut, Mason 17
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-14-17, 09:30 PM
93 red ls 93 red ls is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-22-13
Posts: 361
93 red ls is on a distinguished road
LW 7-1
mason 7-2
Colerain 7-2
Fairfield 6-2
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-17, 12:43 AM
MasonComet's Avatar
MasonComet MasonComet is offline
U. S. American
 
Join Date: 01-18-02
Location: Comet Country
Posts: 7,495
MasonComet is on a distinguished road
LWest 8-2
Colerain 8-2
Fairfield 8-2
Mason 7-3

Mason/Lakota West scheduled for Wednesday (@ West) and Friday (Prasco).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-19-17, 06:06 AM
93 red ls 93 red ls is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-22-13
Posts: 361
93 red ls is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonComet View Post
LWest 8-2
Colerain 8-2
Fairfield 8-2
Mason 7-3

Mason/Lakota West scheduled for Wednesday (@ West) and Friday (Prasco).
its very close at the top of the GMC
got to see Colerain in person over the weekend. Their Ace Shraun ( spelling may be wrong) is a stud!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-20-17, 08:15 AM
MasonComet's Avatar
MasonComet MasonComet is offline
U. S. American
 
Join Date: 01-18-02
Location: Comet Country
Posts: 7,495
MasonComet is on a distinguished road
Lakota West beat Mason in 8 innings last night and Fairfield survives Princeton, 8-7.


LWest 9-2
Fairfield 9-2
Colerain 8-2
Mason 7-4
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-23-17, 12:21 AM
SouthwestOhioGuy17 SouthwestOhioGuy17 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-22-15
Posts: 810
SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Game story

Fairfield still rolling on diamond, blanks Badin 8-0

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/f...CkUxejIc1dYpO/
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-24-17, 05:07 AM
93 red ls 93 red ls is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-22-13
Posts: 361
93 red ls is on a distinguished road
Lakota West 10 - 2
Fairfield 10 - 2
Colerain 8 - 3
Mason 7 - 5
Lakota East 6 - 5
Hamilton 6 - 5
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-24-17, 05:26 AM
93 red ls 93 red ls is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-22-13
Posts: 361
93 red ls is on a distinguished road
1 . Andrew Sams, Fairfield 0.510
2 . Hunter Holt, Lakota East 0.500
3 . Austin Beets, Colerain 0.444
3 . Jake Pennington, Hamilton 0.444
3 . Ryan Wick, Sycamore 0.444



RUNS BATTED IN

RBI

1 . Bryce Johnson, Lakota West 19
2 . Dominic Schivone, Lakota West 16
3 . Evan Haas, Mason 15
3 . Brennen Martin, Lakota West 15
3 . Reid Ruhl, Hamilton 15



WINS

W

1 . Jacob Kates, Lakota West 5
2 . Kurt Lange, Fairfield 4
2 . Jake Pennington, Hamilton 4
4 . Ryan Barker, Fairfield 3
4 . Kyle Fehr, Sycamore 3



STRIKEOUTS

K

1 . Jacob Kates, Lakota West 33
2 . Jake Schrand, Colerain 30
3 . Joseph Cooney, Lakota East 28
3 . Ryan Kellum, Hamilton 28
5 . Will Pfennig, Mason 26
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-24-17, 10:28 AM
Unstacked Unstacked is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-03-09
Posts: 781
Unstacked is on a distinguished road
How is Mason the 4th best team in the league? With the Gazillion kids they have to pick from and kids who practice year round plus great facilities, I don't know how they can loose a game? Is it coaching, the players not buying in..... or the parents interfering?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-24-17, 11:36 AM
CometCountry CometCountry is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-06-05
Posts: 2,179
CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstacked View Post
How is Mason the 4th best team in the league? With the Gazillion kids they have to pick from and kids who practice year round plus great facilities, I don't know how they can loose a game? Is it coaching, the players not buying in..... or the parents interfering?
In my opinion since I have no stake in who plays--Mason just isn't the best team in the GMC this year---they are 7-5 with 2 one-run losses to Colerain and West and they lost 4-0,5-1, and 5-0 to Colerain, Fairfield, and West--1 run scored in 21 innings against the 3 teams in front of them in the league--can't be much higher in the standings when you are 1-5 against the top 3 teams.

Mason simply doesn't have enough high-level Varsity hitters---Haas (.364), Hall (.362) and Northcut (.400)--those 3 hitting in the 2-4 spots have to have big games for the Comets to manufacture enough runs to win. The Soph Powell has done a solid job leading off and playing SS, and is second behind Northcut with an on base % at .467. Curiously they have Grace buried in the 8 or 9 hole most games even though he is hitting .357 with a team leading 11 stolen bases and has an on base % of .455. From the 5 hole down there has been very little production--a player hitting .286 and has lowest OBP of the starters at .352; player hitting .244; player hitting .241; player hitting .190, and a player hitting .188--yikes that won't get it done and 3 of those 5 are Seniors. Realistically the strength of the team is pitching but the UC recruit has made 7 appearances and is sitting with an ERA of 6.06--that won't get it done in HS much less in college. A couple Senior pitchers have made just one appearance each (one going to Marietta and one to Miami-Hamilton) and could help make up for the UC recruits struggles.

That said the Comets handed Moe their only loss and they hammered a pretty good Loveland team 9-1, so the ability to put an end-of the season run together is possible if their top 4-5 hitters can hit above .400 the rest of the way and the remaining 5-6 guys can at least hit .300-.350 and contribute to the offense. Tourney draw coming up next Sunday so its an important week to rack up some wins vs. Oak Hills, Middletown and Kings with seed voting taking place by next Saturday.

I don't think coaching has changed much from previous years since Coach Bly took over--there seems to be a "script" written Freshman year after tryouts and it's pretty closely followed by the Frosh and JV coaches as to who the "players" are expected to be by the Varsity years. Unfortunately some of the top players from the class of 2017, who started on the Frosh and JV teams, gave up on baseball for a variety of reasons and it has vaulted players into starting roles that are performing for the most part the way they had on the Frosh and JV teams in previous years. Pretty much not many surprises in this group.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-24-17, 11:51 AM
93 red ls 93 red ls is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-22-13
Posts: 361
93 red ls is on a distinguished road
DO you guys watch he podcast for the enquire? Springer and Baum do a GREAT job, their last show was talking about the GMC and how the top 4 are just as good as one another this year.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-24-17, 12:29 PM
Unstacked Unstacked is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-03-09
Posts: 781
Unstacked is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
In my opinion since I have no stake in who plays--Mason just isn't the best team in the GMC this year---they are 7-5 with 2 one-run losses to Colerain and West and they lost 4-0,5-1, and 5-0 to Colerain, Fairfield, and West--1 run scored in 21 innings against the 3 teams in front of them in the league--can't be much higher in the standings when you are 1-5 against the top 3 teams.

Mason simply doesn't have enough high-level Varsity hitters---Haas (.364), Hall (.362) and Northcut (.400)--those 3 hitting in the 2-4 spots have to have big games for the Comets to manufacture enough runs to win. The Soph Powell has done a solid job leading off and playing SS, and is second behind Northcut with an on base % at .467. Curiously they have Grace buried in the 8 or 9 hole most games even though he is hitting .357 with a team leading 11 stolen bases and has an on base % of .455. From the 5 hole down there has been very little production--a player hitting .286 and has lowest OBP of the starters at .352; player hitting .244; player hitting .241; player hitting .190, and a player hitting .188--yikes that won't get it done and 3 of those 5 are Seniors. Realistically the strength of the team is pitching but the UC recruit has made 7 appearances and is sitting with an ERA of 6.06--that won't get it done in HS much less in college. A couple Senior pitchers have made just one appearance each (one going to Marietta and one to Miami-Hamilton) and could help make up for the UC recruits struggles.

That said the Comets handed Moe their only loss and they hammered a pretty good Loveland team 9-1, so the ability to put an end-of the season run together is possible if their top 4-5 hitters can hit above .400 the rest of the way and the remaining 5-6 guys can at least hit .300-.350 and contribute to the offense. Tourney draw coming up next Sunday so its an important week to rack up some wins vs. Oak Hills, Middletown and Kings with seed voting taking place by next Saturday.

I don't think coaching has changed much from previous years since Coach Bly took over--there seems to be a "script" written Freshman year after tryouts and it's pretty closely followed by the Frosh and JV coaches as to who the "players" are expected to be by the Varsity years. Unfortunately some of the top players from the class of 2017, who started on the Frosh and JV teams, gave up on baseball for a variety of reasons and it has vaulted players into starting roles that are performing for the most part the way they had on the Frosh and JV teams in previous years. Pretty much not many surprises in this group.
You would just think that a school that has over 1,300 boys could field a solid lineup of 9 fairly easy.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-24-17, 09:52 PM
SouthwestOhioGuy17 SouthwestOhioGuy17 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-22-15
Posts: 810
SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Game story

Cardinals edge Hamilton 2-1 in GMC pitchers' duel

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/c...tsuDqcws6vmSN/
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-25-17, 05:47 AM
93 red ls 93 red ls is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-22-13
Posts: 361
93 red ls is on a distinguished road
Lakota West 11 - 2
Fairfield 11 - 2
Colerain 9 - 4
Lakota East 8 - 5
Mason 7 - 5
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-25-17, 10:44 AM
Gameday10 Gameday10 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-03-14
Posts: 226
Gameday10 is on a distinguished road
What is wrong with Mason? Very talented team but can't win.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-25-17, 11:12 AM
CometCountry CometCountry is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-06-05
Posts: 2,179
CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameday10 View Post
What is wrong with Mason? Very talented team but can't win.
See 4 paragraph synopsis above
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-25-17, 03:05 PM
Gameday10 Gameday10 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-03-14
Posts: 226
Gameday10 is on a distinguished road
Sorry about that completely missed that.

I spoke to a parent from Varsity recently and they claim the coaching is one of the problems. Seems to be a consistent trend with Mason sports at least in baseball, football, and basketball.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-25-17, 03:44 PM
CometCountry CometCountry is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-06-05
Posts: 2,179
CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameday10 View Post
Sorry about that completely missed that.

I spoke to a parent from Varsity recently and they claim the coaching is one of the problems. Seems to be a consistent trend with Mason sports at least in baseball, football, and basketball.
Current parents rarely criticize their own sons for not being good enough--win with good players and losing is on the coaches--by most parents take. Realistically as the facts and stats show--Mason doesn't hit good enough to be at the top of the GMC--that's just the way it goes. They are a decent team capable of beating Moeller and Loveland who both lead their leagues in a one game match-up--but in an 18 game GMC league season the lack of hitting from the 5-hole down is glaring as they have the 7th best team batting average in GMC games. Have to find a way to score 4-5 runs to win most HS games.

If they get hot with the sticks they could make a run because the Comets pitching is good enough. Big IF though.

As far as basketball I'm not sure what you are talking about--since entering the GMC in 2007-08 the Comets have won more league games than any school in the league--Coach Richards does a better job year in and year out than any coach in the league--Mason is 45-3 the last 3 years in the GMC with 2 league titles and a heartbreaking 60-57 loss to Moe in the Regional Semi's this year. Comets basketball will have a hard time matching those numbers down the road but who knows.

Football won their first Division I playoff game vs. Elder this past season, but not sure of the coaching issues you refer to in your post in the 3 major sports--unless just referring to disgruntled parents--happens at every school.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-25-17, 11:13 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 2,852
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameday10 View Post
Sorry about that completely missed that.

I spoke to a parent from Varsity recently and they claim the coaching is one of the problems. Seems to be a consistent trend with Mason sports at least in baseball, football, and basketball.
What's wrong with their basketball coach?

And from what I can tell from football it seems like the biggest problem with their coach is he doesn't fall in line with what the parents want and were getting prior to their kid getting to high school. Not saying there aren't other problems in football, but whining parents seems to be the overwhelming issue in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-27-17, 08:16 PM
SouthwestOhioGuy17 SouthwestOhioGuy17 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-22-15
Posts: 810
SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Update on East grad Michael Conrad

Lakota East's Conrad finds new mound life at Georgetown

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/l...QDQcnTRHEbQMJ/
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-29-17, 02:01 AM
SouthwestOhioGuy17 SouthwestOhioGuy17 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-22-15
Posts: 810
SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Game story

Colerain drops Fairfield out of first-place tie in GMC

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/b...OTt8Z8bvReZAK/
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-01-17, 09:32 PM
BASESWIMPARENT BASESWIMPARENT is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 12-21-16
Posts: 12
BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Lakota West has earned at least a share of the league title with a win tonight and Fairfield's loss. Cardinal pitching must be unreal.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-03-17, 10:33 AM
SouthwestOhioGuy17 SouthwestOhioGuy17 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-22-15
Posts: 810
SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
West GMC champion

Firebirds 'shock 'em' to earn share of GMC baseball championship

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/f...J1TEDXZ7P3RWP/
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-03-17, 11:53 PM
SouthwestOhioGuy17 SouthwestOhioGuy17 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-22-15
Posts: 810
SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Game story

Fairfield edges Big Blue as West wraps up outright GMC title

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/f...0Gpef0eEVAcdN/
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-07-17, 11:19 AM
SouthwestOhioGuy17 SouthwestOhioGuy17 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-22-15
Posts: 810
SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Game story

HHS gets rivalry weekend off to good start, handles Badin 7-3

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/h...xShDd79RmA1UO/
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-08-17, 06:00 AM
93 red ls 93 red ls is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-22-13
Posts: 361
93 red ls is on a distinguished road
Congrats to West on the baseball title!!

Lakota West 15 - 2
Fairfield 14 - 4
Colerain 12 - 5
Mason 11 - 6
Lakota East 11 - 6
Oak Hills 8 - 9
Hamilton 7 - 11
Sycamore 5 - 12
Middletown 2 - 15
Princeton 1 - 16


BATTING AVERAGE

AVG

1 . Andrew Sams, Fairfield 0.522
2 . Nick Northcut, Mason 0.464
3 . Hunter Holt, Lakota East 0.455
4 . Jake Pennington, Hamilton 0.438
5 . Brennen Martin, Lakota West 0.413



HOME RUNS

HR

1 . Jay Fields, Sycamore 2
1 . Victor Garnica, Sycamore 2
1 . Griffen Kain, Oak Hills 2
1 . Jacob Kates, Lakota West 2
1 . Jacob Kotzin, Sycamore 2



RUNS BATTED IN

RBI

1 . Brennen Martin, Lakota West 26
2 . Dominic Schivone, Lakota West 25
3 . Bryce Johnson, Lakota West 24
4 . Bryce Burton, Princeton 23
5 . Nick Northcut, Mason 21



WINS

W

1 . Jacob Kates, Lakota West 7
2 . Kurt Lange, Fairfield 5
3 . Kyle Fehr, Sycamore 4
3 . Jason Fischer, Colerain 4
3 . Jared Flueck, Colerain 4



STRIKEOUTS

K

1 . Jake Schrand, Colerain 61
2 . Joseph Cooney, Lakota East 52
3 . Jacob Kates, Lakota West 50
4 . Ryan Kellum, Hamilton 43
5 . Jake Pennington, Hamilton 42
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-08-17, 11:00 AM
SouthwestOhioGuy17 SouthwestOhioGuy17 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-22-15
Posts: 810
SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Game story

Fairfield fights off Big Blue, finishes alone in second place in GMC

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/f...q5ew0BZTolSSK/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Troy D-3 District Rankings McClearn7 Wrestling 11 11-03-16 06:42 PM
Heath D-3 District Rankings McClearn7 Wrestling 8 10-28-16 11:55 AM
Darby D-1 District Preview McClearn7 Wrestling 28 12-10-15 11:18 AM
Alliance D-2 District Preview McClearn7 Wrestling 7 12-02-15 05:45 PM
Fairmont D-1 District Preview 2014-2015 McClearn7 Wrestling 10 11-28-14 08:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz