Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-22-17, 06:51 AM
Freshman

Capcityfball is on a distinguished road
Pick North HC?

Any idea who the next HC at Pick North will be? Head Coach went to Cincinnati a little late...is this an inside job or will it create movement
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-17, 11:39 AM
All Region

Walt is on a distinguished road
Where did Phillips go?
Old 03-23-17, 12:24 PM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
It will be a job that is desirable that is for sure.
Old 03-23-17, 04:19 PM
Freshman

GapDownBacker is on a distinguished road
There is nothing in the news, nothing on his twitter. Not sure this is legit. And ... I could be 100% wrong. Going into weather forecasting next week!
Old 03-23-17, 08:26 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GapDownBacker View Post
There is nothing in the news, nothing on his twitter. Not sure this is legit. And ... I could be 100% wrong. Going into weather forecasting next week!
According to the coach changes thread he told the team he's going to UC
Old 03-27-17, 03:06 PM
Freshman

GapDownBacker is on a distinguished road
Still nothing on ohsaa. Nothing in Newspapers...thinking not for real. Anyone really in the know?
Old 03-27-17, 03:10 PM
All Region

AHM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GapDownBacker View Post
Still nothing on ohsaa. Nothing in Newspapers...thinking not for real. Anyone really in the know?
You are not getting the job so dont worry about it.
Old 03-27-17, 03:21 PM
All Ohio

gobucks93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Pretty sure Fickell''s staff is full. No mention of Tom Phillips here.
http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-f...ootbl-mtt.html
Old 03-27-17, 04:11 PM
All District

red123
AHM. Awful sensitive. Someone pointing out that there is no other info other than one line on a thread here. Real good reason to go on the attack. Relax Francis.
Old 03-28-17, 09:54 AM
Varsity

pctigers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks93 View Post
Pretty sure Fickell''s staff is full. No mention of Tom Phillips here.
http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-f...ootbl-mtt.html
Football Operations - Not a coach

Heard the position has been filled within, this has been kept really hush-hush. The person rumored to have been appointed, has been there only a couple years and 2-3yrs head coaching experience

Last edited by pctigers; 03-28-17 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-29-17, 11:56 AM
All American

hdvhsmgr is on a distinguished road
http://www.thisweeknews.com/sports/2...o-assist-at-uc
Old 04-15-17, 07:11 AM
Freshman

Not sure when this hires but should be soon, I'm hearing there are 3 current HCs in the running, two that should do real good there. Will create a ripple effect somewhat late but I'll be happy with who gets it if it's any of those guys. North should be successful with this hire and be in very good shape.
Old 04-20-17, 08:31 PM
Freshman

Rock Chalk is on a distinguished road
Hamilton Township
Old 04-21-17, 07:57 AM
All Region

AHM is on a distinguished road
Im hearing Solis from Olentangy
Old 04-21-17, 09:16 AM
All Ohio

TCSoup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHM View Post
Not that it wont happen but would be surprised . Solis Olentangy guy through and through.
Old 04-21-17, 09:55 AM
All American

oldmanfbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHM View Post
Spoke with Solis yesterday. Not true. He hasn't and won't be applying for the HC at Pick North.
Old 04-21-17, 10:15 AM
Varsity

pctigers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Hamilton Township
That's what I'm hearing.
Old 04-21-17, 11:42 AM
Freshman

Rock Chalk is on a distinguished road
Solid hire. Big jump to arguably the toughest division in Central Ohio. Teammates from ODU are now in the OCC Ohio in Grove city and Pick north. Will it change the balance of power in Pickerington? Does he know what he is getting himself into. A city with a Ohio State vs Michigan High School rivalry
Old 04-21-17, 12:18 PM
Freshman

Great hire according to what he's done at HT, i think he'll hit the ground running. North QB is going to make it a smooth transition and keep the ball rolling.

Of course he knows what "he's getting himself in to," head coaches don't just take jobs without researching them. I'm excited to see the new version of the Team.
Old 04-21-17, 01:45 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
It would've been 'classic' had Solis been hired, the guy doesn't stay put at one place for very long.

"Sheriff Nate", on paper, is a great hire for PN. He led one of the greatest turnarounds in recent memory in Central Ohio at HT.

I agree with Rock Chalk on the part of "does he know what he's getting himself into?", but not for the reason stated. The truth is that, while Central and North are 'intense' rivals, that definitely has not stopped kids from transferring across the two buildings through the entirety of PN's existence.

PN is a good job and a bad job at the same time. When you factor in the facilities, the talent, the numbers, and the socioeconomics of the PN side of the district, it all makes for the same groundwork to be successful that Bob Gecewich at Dublin Jerome and Brian White at Hilliard Davidson both have capitalized on at their respective schools. (I would say "Mark Crabtree at Dublin Coffman" fits the same bill, but I might be treading on thin ice to suggest Coffman and PN have similar demographics/socio-ec's, since I simply don't know if they're 'the same.') Hillerich is a very accomplished coach, a young gun. He churned out a few good D1 players over his last few years at HT. However, we have to remember we are talking about Pickerington North, a school that sees kids defect left and right when the going gets tough. In the last two years, three QB's have left Pick North and started on playoff squads at three different schools (Lowery to Gahanna; Goodman to Newark Catholic; Meyers to Harvest Prep.) Lowery certainly would've helped PN had he stayed, and while it may have been inconsequential for the latter two to leave, the truth is losing three QB's in such a fashion is symptomatic of a broader problem with that community: loyalty to a program and staying committed in the face of adversity.

At Hamilton Township, he didn't really have to worry about kids going every which way because the only other options for most kids would've been Groveport (not a 'target' school), Grove City (not a 'target' school), Marion-Franklin (little bit more of a 'target' school) or Hartley (a 'target' school, but possibly cost and drive prohibitive.) That, and the fact HT has more of an multi-generational dynamic to its community: the grandparents lived in the Obetz area and went to HT, the parents grew up in Obetz and went to HT, and that's where they stayed and sent their kids (today's players.) Pickerington, on the other hand, due to the sheer nature and history of the community, has far less parents that are committed to keeping their kid at PN (or PC) if they see a better opportunity as possible and doable. Even the Borens didn't all attend PN, as it was pretty well-established athletic interests helped shape where Jacoby and the younger kid(s) went (which was Pickerington Central.)

This is particularly problematic when you factor in that making the playoffs is expected at PN, and beating P. Central defines the team for that season. PN is a place where an 0-2 start is enough to get all of the people in the subdivisions and Shangri-La's along Rt 204 restless. This is a community that thinks losing to Lancaster is enough to sound the alarm. A .500 or below record in conference play can go for a year or two, maybe, but playoffs are necessary to keep everyone's support.

He's following in the foot steps of a great man and a good coach, Tom Phillips. He will be their third head coach in the school's history after Bahen and Phillips. Does this community have enough resolve to be patient and let him implement his system and way of doing things if he isn't turning in an (>)8-2 season the first time around? Again, he's entering a job that has seen very little 'change' (Tom Phillips' medical absences notwithstanding.) The parents at PN want to see their kids play for Pick North or someone 'better', they want their kids to get an education at Pick North or someplace 'better.' Ultimately, of course, if Johnny can be a star with or without playing at PN, then so be it. The majority of the players he will work with come from families that have both the means to pursue other opportunities and the willingness to act on a transfer if the going gets tough enough and if the kid isn't headstrong in doing what it takes to be a starter at PN by the time they graduate, let alone as a soph/junior.

He's stepping into plenty of talent, plenty of facilities, a good groundwork to fall into - but, there are some drawbacks and there's more that meets the eye than just the 'positives' of coaching at PN. He will need to command the same respect and dedication out of his players and their families the same way that Sharett (sp?) @ PC does if he wants to maintain a consistent winner over on Refugee Road. That will be the key to whether or not he is successful there short-term and long-term.
Old 04-22-17, 08:20 AM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
It would've been 'classic' had Solis been hired, the guy doesn't stay put at one place for very long.

"Sheriff Nate", on paper, is a great hire for PN. He led one of the greatest turnarounds in recent memory in Central Ohio at HT.

I agree with Rock Chalk on the part of "does he know what he's getting himself into?", but not for the reason stated. The truth is that, while Central and North are 'intense' rivals, that definitely has not stopped kids from transferring across the two buildings through the entirety of PN's existence.

PN is a good job and a bad job at the same time. When you factor in the facilities, the talent, the numbers, and the socioeconomics of the PN side of the district, it all makes for the same groundwork to be successful that Bob Gecewich at Dublin Jerome and Brian White at Hilliard Davidson both have capitalized on at their respective schools. (I would say "Mark Crabtree at Dublin Coffman" fits the same bill, but I might be treading on thin ice to suggest Coffman and PN have similar demographics/socio-ec's, since I simply don't know if they're 'the same.') Hillerich is a very accomplished coach, a young gun. He churned out a few good D1 players over his last few years at HT. However, we have to remember we are talking about Pickerington North, a school that sees kids defect left and right when the going gets tough. In the last two years, three QB's have left Pick North and started on playoff squads at three different schools (Lowery to Gahanna; Goodman to Newark Catholic; Meyers to Harvest Prep.) Lowery certainly would've helped PN had he stayed, and while it may have been inconsequential for the latter two to leave, the truth is losing three QB's in such a fashion is symptomatic of a broader problem with that community: loyalty to a program and staying committed in the face of adversity.

At Hamilton Township, he didn't really have to worry about kids going every which way because the only other options for most kids would've been Groveport (not a 'target' school), Grove City (not a 'target' school), Marion-Franklin (little bit more of a 'target' school) or Hartley (a 'target' school, but possibly cost and drive prohibitive.) That, and the fact HT has more of an multi-generational dynamic to its community: the grandparents lived in the Obetz area and went to HT, the parents grew up in Obetz and went to HT, and that's where they stayed and sent their kids (today's players.) Pickerington, on the other hand, due to the sheer nature and history of the community, has far less parents that are committed to keeping their kid at PN (or PC) if they see a better opportunity as possible and doable. Even the Borens didn't all attend PN, as it was pretty well-established athletic interests helped shape where Jacoby and the younger kid(s) went (which was Pickerington Central.)

This is particularly problematic when you factor in that making the playoffs is expected at PN, and beating P. Central defines the team for that season. PN is a place where an 0-2 start is enough to get all of the people in the subdivisions and Shangri-La's along Rt 204 restless. This is a community that thinks losing to Lancaster is enough to sound the alarm. A .500 or below record in conference play can go for a year or two, maybe, but playoffs are necessary to keep everyone's support.

He's following in the foot steps of a great man and a good coach, Tom Phillips. He will be their third head coach in the school's history after Bahen and Phillips. Does this community have enough resolve to be patient and let him implement his system and way of doing things if he isn't turning in an (>)8-2 season the first time around? Again, he's entering a job that has seen very little 'change' (Tom Phillips' medical absences notwithstanding.) The parents at PN want to see their kids play for Pick North or someone 'better', they want their kids to get an education at Pick North or someplace 'better.' Ultimately, of course, if Johnny can be a star with or without playing at PN, then so be it. The majority of the players he will work with come from families that have both the means to pursue other opportunities and the willingness to act on a transfer if the going gets tough enough and if the kid isn't headstrong in doing what it takes to be a starter at PN by the time they graduate, let alone as a soph/junior.

He's stepping into plenty of talent, plenty of facilities, a good groundwork to fall into - but, there are some drawbacks and there's more that meets the eye than just the 'positives' of coaching at PN. He will need to command the same respect and dedication out of his players and their families the same way that Sharett (sp?) @ PC does if he wants to maintain a consistent winner over on Refugee Road. That will be the key to whether or not he is successful there short-term and long-term.
Good local picktown perspective. Good post
Old 04-24-17, 08:25 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post

LOL - thanks for that reference. I still can't believe I'm losing two of my great literary characters that debuted on JJHuddle - Sherlock Hillerich, and the boyishly handsome Sheriff Nate.

I had already lost Dr. Tennyson and Deputy Wishboneyson to Franklin Heights/Grove City. Gonna be tough to come up with replacements.

Nice post, and a pretty fair analysis of Hamilton Township - not perfect, but not too bad.

Best of luck to Nate, we HT fans wish him and the Panthers all the best.
Old 04-24-17, 10:05 AM
Junior Varsity

Green-n-Gold76 is on a distinguished road
I'm old enough that I remember when Pickerington was a lot like Hamilton. I'm old enough to hope that Hamilton always stays like Hamilton.
Old 04-24-17, 08:55 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthelites View Post
Good local picktown perspective. Good post
Agreed. Great post Dock.
Old 04-25-17, 06:38 AM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
In general life is more transient in nature and that trickles down to high school athletics as well .

People move more than they ever have for jobs, changes of scenery , or as we see sometimes to give their kids what they think are better opportunity's . These moves are usually shorter more local moves . We have seen recently two UA kids move from Northeast Ohio and go to UA and help the program. Do they have a few more transfers coming in this year ?

In NCAA basketball there is unprecedented transfers going on, you don't have to just watch the final game where Gonzaga even was bolstered by two key transfers to see that it isn't only QB'S in college football that are transferring in high numbers .

I think a big part of this restlessness is the information you have at your fingertips, images everywhere that gets kids thinking , yearning for something better if not just different , can I get 6-7 more shots a game? Can I start in a year at that school compared to waiting longer at my present school?

Possibly the first pick in the draft and most certainly a top 5-8 pick . Mitch Trubisky of Mentor is given props for actually staying at North Carolina when he didn't start in the first three years, Mitch many said should have transferred like most other talented higher end kids do when they can't get on the field in their first couple years.

PN culture is a bit transient itself, there have been some movement over the years between the buildings as Dock points out and some of these moves have been difference makers { Godwin I and Borens to name just two } , Pick is seen as a destination in general for families within the Columbus school district and has added to the come and go vibe .

Certainly Pickerington isn't alone in this dynamic , Dublin where I live has seen this dynamic increase as well .

PC is the established program , more of a destination I believe for many families looking for the better school system in a place they can afford and the demo's are favorable, may be North is catching up a bit ? More pricey areas in the North district, better facilities , newer facilities .

I am not as familiar with the expectations at North , parents want their kids to paly on winning teams certainly , but I wasn't aware of pressure to win with North Football , I would have thought PC had a higher expectation or was a more pressurized situation than North.

The QB transfer carousel is fairly typical with the top programs { Hilliard Davidson is a definite exception , not sure kids are clamoring to move so they can run the option nowadays} Coffman has been vilified by haters for years for getting transfers at that position ever since Jack Rafferty who played for Coach Crabtree at ST Charles joined him at Coffman in his second year after Brady Quinn graduated to pay his Senior year .

The Stoudt family moved to Pickerington so their daughter could play hoops in a nationally ranked program and moved to Dublin after she was done in high school . Zach didn't start until his Senior year, not exactly a top prospect when the family moved, and Cole was in MS when the move came.

Pickerington QB situation was muddy with two very talented kids Weirick and Lowery , both with years to go caused Lowery to seek another opportunity , one that seems to have some promise as the offense is catered to his skill set and he has a nice transfer receiver in Academy's Bruckner to play pitch and catch with.

It appears that North isn't beating Central this year , but the rest of the schedule is winnable , not sure they go 9-1 but I would bet 8-2 is more than reasonable this year .

Canada in week one at home , Jerome on the road is very winnable as Jerome loses their best players and while they are on the rise with an excellent young coach changing the culture , North has the horses to beat them on the road.

Centerville , new coach , some very good players, but winnable , could stub their toe if they are flat getting off the bus after a nice ride.

Westy Central ? hmmm, off rebuild last year, Magistro probably gets them back playing at a higher level , interesting match-up.

Liberty ? Has some nice players back but loses the bell cow White , but they have momentum ,a growing school with increased numbers, but they won't be the same team as last year .

League foes besides Central are all beatable , and the week ten game with Gahanna will be interesting . 7-3 is the floor, but with a dynamic playmaker with a ton of experience in Weirick having the ball in his hands 9-1 is possible.

I always thought Gahanna with their numbers and demo's { Great track program and Speed potential } was a plumb job for a new coach and it is , but North is also a nice opportunity with some built in advantages , this coach should do well there after he adjusts a bit to a different culture dynamic .
Old 04-25-17, 10:53 AM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-n-Gold76 View Post
I'm old enough that I remember when Pickerington was a lot like Hamilton.
Absolutely. I can remember when Groveport was the big kid on the football block back in the '80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-n-Gold76 View Post
I'm old enough to hope that Hamilton always stays like Hamilton.
I went to a HT playoff game not too long ago, and I thought I was in a time warp. It was awesome. IIRC, you even park in a church parking lot there.

Last edited by FormerWildcat; 04-25-17 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-25-17, 05:51 PM
Freshman

I'd agree with harrycrane, I see 8-2 9-1 as well. I think the QB is a special high school player.

Wins:
Canadian team...its a money game
Dublin Jerome...yeah, they were ok last year but it's Dublin Jerome, not Coffman. Still a golf and lacrosse school
Centerville...traveling is always tricky but I didn't see enough last year to make me think they'll beat North
Westerville Central...I think it will be a good game but give the edge to the QB
Grove City...new direction there but FH didn't really win until they had multiple D1 skilled players
Lancaster...Same as WC, wing t is always tough to prep for though

Edge to North but could be anyone's game:
Liberty...the experience of last year and playing a young QB can pay off
Gahanna...I still think Nirth wins this one but Gahanna always "should" be really good, for one reason or another never seem to be consistent with it
Reynoldsburg...Some real good athletes just think PN is better

Pickerington Central...as much as I hate to say it, they typically have the talent to win, hope I'm wrong

I think 9-1 is achievable but there's always a team that surprises and plenty of teams that are even or real close. Should be a real good first year for Hillerich to start.