Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-16-17, 02:55 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Africentric coach: Racial insensitivity fueled rant

Quote:
Africentric girls basketball coach Will McKinney, who received a one-game suspension for criticizing officials after a regional victory over Mount Blanchard Riverdale on March 8, said the officiating crew's failure to eject a fan sitting in the Riverdale student section for making pig calls when his players were shooting free throws led to his outburst.

After the Nubians won 85-46 at Lexington High School, McKinney said the officials were racially insensitive to his team, which is made up of African-Americans. One official was black.

The Ohio High School Athletic Association suspended McKinney one game and Africentric was fined an undisclosed amount.

The pig calls drew subdued laughter from some Riverdale students the first time but were ignored thereafter.
Read more:
http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170...ty-fueled-rant
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-17, 06:54 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Good for him standing up for his girls (especially after a win, so it wasn't perceived as being a sore loser) I have seen it too often. My daughter is white, but her team was over half black players and the stuff I saw at certain games marred my faith in humanity. From under the breath racial name calling by the players, crap said by the fans and yes, even refs showing bias- it was truly sad. It didn't seem to be as big of an issue during league games as most of the teams consisted of a wide range of players, come tournament time it would often get alarmingly ugly as the teams that had no connection from different areas clashed.
I think fan behavior in general has become very volatile and over the top disrespectful, but I saw first hand how badly some of these young ladies were treated and the racial factor was sometimes a part of it.
Old 03-16-17, 09:32 PM
All District

FossyWriter8 is on a distinguished road
Can someone explain to me how "making pig calls" is a racial issue?
Insulting? Sure.
But racial?
Old 03-17-17, 05:39 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
One person out of a hundred, a thousand causes someone to question humanity, maybe too focused on the negative but it also shows the effect one small percentage can have if we let it. JMHO.

Racial? "Africentric" is a racial name, specifically created to target and draw a student of particular interest. MY impression, coach is looking for a reason to find a specific insult. Perhaps to galvinize his team? Or to control? Divide them away from the rest of humanity? I put him into the category I described in the first paragraph. Not the one lost faith in humanity but the one that causes others to doubt.
Old 03-17-17, 06:26 AM
All American

Then you haven't seen what I have seen and what likely this coach has experienced with this team time and time again. I can't speak to this one incident or even this team, but I have seen a different side of this issue and watched my daughter's teammates/sisters get the brunt of it- from fans yelling "Harambe is alive!" parents calling a team of 14-17 year old girls "thugs" to a ref talking to the scorers table about a foul and unsure of the jersey number, saying "it was on one of the black ones". This is just a small sample of what I personally witnessed and I was very naive and not really even paying attention. I didn't want to believe that this goes on, but sadly it does and to see it happen to kids you care deeply about gives you a new perspective- hopefully one you never have to experience. Saying that their name, likely chosen in pride, invites this kind of treatment is like saying a pretty girl in a dress deserves to be harassed or worse.
Old 03-17-17, 07:27 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
His blaming the officiating crew is laughable.

All he had to do was have his AD locate the game administrator, notify him of the problem, and if warranted, those people involved would have been taken care of.
Old 03-17-17, 07:39 AM
All American

I will try to post the other articles I read about the situation and describes prior incidences that led to the coaches frustration- this one is abbreviated and doesn't include all of the details of what happened. I don't disagree that there may have been better ways to handle this and I don't know this coach or team- he could be a hot head and have cried wolf in the past. But it does happen and it is an issue and maybe this was just the last straw.
Old 03-17-17, 08:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
Then you haven't seen what I have seen and what likely this coach has experienced with this team time and time again. I can't speak to this one incident or even this team, but I have seen a different side of this issue and watched my daughter's teammates/sisters get the brunt of it- from fans yelling "Harambe is alive!" parents calling a team of 14-17 year old girls "thugs" to a ref talking to the scorers table about a foul and unsure of the jersey number, saying "it was on one of the black ones". This is just a small sample of what I personally witnessed and I was very naive and not really even paying attention. I didn't want to believe that this goes on, but sadly it does and to see it happen to kids you care deeply about gives you a new perspective- hopefully one you never have to experience. Saying that their name, likely chosen in pride, invites this kind of treatment is like saying a pretty girl in a dress deserves to be harassed or worse.
I would imagine I've seen what you've seen. Might even be able to make a case for having seen a lot more. Each their own experience but I'm not going to presume the experience of others, just because they don't agree with me.

We've ALL seen it, both ways most likely if eyes and ears open. If eyes and ears open we've seen far more not doing it. Even the quote stated there was little support for it and after the initial reaction, it died away. Everyone lets it play on their minds their own way. If you want to let it "mar" your faith in humanity, your business. To me, people grow through error and we have generally grown to accept as we experience the positives of each other.

I prefer to think of "positives" when thinking of groups and leave the "negatives" to the individuals. One kid making "pig noises..." A few people making racially (or other) disparaging remarks, isnt going to get me down.
Old 03-17-17, 08:39 AM
All American

No problem thinking in positives - but not going to pretend like everything is fine either. To watch young girls deal with this has been difficult for me as I love them like my own. You can make fun of my reaction/ choice of words and not let such horrible behavior get you down but when I see amazing young ladies trying to keep a stiff upper lip when faced some incredibly cruel behavior it absolutely got me down.
Old 03-17-17, 10:08 AM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FossyWriter8 View Post
Insulting? Sure.
But racial?
This. Still no answer on this.
Old 03-17-17, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
No problem thinking in positives - but not going to pretend like everything is fine either. To watch young girls deal with this has been difficult for me as I love them like my own. You can make fun of my reaction/ choice of words and not let such horrible behavior get you down but when I see amazing young ladies trying to keep a stiff upper lip when faced some incredibly cruel behavior it absolutely got me down.
Maybe that's what made them "amazing?" Their reaction is what will change or confirm the opinions of those misinformed. This coach's, confirmed it.

I never "made fun" of your reaction. I don't hold it on a high pedastal but that's neither here nor there. It's not MY reaction.
Old 03-17-17, 11:27 AM
All American

No they are amazing for all of their accomplishments, hearts and character- no kids should have to endure such treatment. Mine doesn't.
Old 03-17-17, 12:27 PM
All District

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FossyWriter8 View Post
Insulting? Sure.
But racial?
I'm with you. I don't see the connection, but I guess it is possible there is some blind spot in my awareness. My first thought was that this was something stupid a student did to simply distract the players. But, if I were going to make a connection to something darker, I would make it to sexism, i.e. an insult to a female.

I also take under advisement that the entire context may not be presented.

But, for sure, what I know is that teenagers have problems with knowing where the line is between creative fun in a student section and harmful behavior and words. I've seen some great stuff out of student sections, and I've seen some stuff that made me ill. These are teaching opportunities. Some close supervision and quick correction when something is over the line is a good way to address this.

OTOH, I am uncomfortable with the idea that if someone assumes a thing is meant to be offensive, then it is offensive - or that racism can be defined by how a few people perceive things. I need to know what the rules are here because I don't want to intentionally or unintentionally hurt anyone. It's a crazy world where we become responsible for the potentially illogical hypersensitive perceptions of others. In this area, we are better off to just deal in explicit things, and I think we could do with some tougher skin in some cases. This world has trouble enough in it without us creating it where it may not really exist.

Last edited by IVCguy; 03-17-17 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-17-17, 12:28 PM
All District

eagles73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have an official friend who did a Regional game with Africentric several years back. He said he never heard more F bombs and G. D's coming out of this mans mouth, directly at his players during time outs and when they were near him on the sideline. He eventually got T'd up for doing it, and he acted surprised that officials cared about what he said to his own team mates, so I dont feel the pitty card for the coach. Now the kids, yes.
Old 03-17-17, 12:55 PM
All American

Like I said- don't know the guy at all, the situation resonated with me because I have witnessed some really shameful racially motivated behavior towards our girls. I guess it never happens, is deserved or isn't a big deal in others eyes- I'm done. Good luck to all the girls playing today
Old 03-17-17, 01:16 PM
All District

eagles73 is on a distinguished road
First of all I never said it never happened, just pointing out the hypocrisy of the coach to want other people managed from making comments, while he himself verbally abuses his players!
Old 03-17-17, 03:31 PM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Let's just put this to bed. He and his staff were more then gracious before and after the game. His kids are very athletic and they work hard. They are a bunch of good student athletes...
Old 03-20-17, 12:33 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
A letter from a parent of a Riverdale player:

Old 03-20-17, 01:31 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
A letter from a parent of a Riverdale player:

And there it is.

Let's let that put it to bed.
Old 03-21-17, 10:31 PM
All American

And there it is? Because one parent said so? Different situation but explains my skepticism- A coach was yelling at his players during halftime while losing badly called an opposing team N*****s in the locker room which had thin enough walls for the other teams girls to hear (can you imagine how awful that felt?). The AD and coach of the "urban" team decided not to make a fuss about it because the girls were embarrassed enough without having it splashed all over. A local reporter picked up on the rumors and posted something online. A parent from the "rural" team wrote a letter threatening to sue saying it never happened and how dare they accuse them of such a thing! Except it did happen and the "rural" coach actually offered an apology.

Last edited by Kballer; 03-22-17 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-22-17, 04:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
And there it is? Because one parent said so? Different situation but explains my skepticism- A coach was yelling at his players during halftime while losing badly called an opposing team N*****s in the locker room which had thin enough walls for the other teams girls to hear (can you imagine how awful that felt?). The AD and coach of the "urban" team decided not to make a fuss about it because the girls were embarrassed enough without having it splashed all over. A local reporter picked up on the rumors and posted something online. A parent from the "rural" team wrote a letter threatening to sue saying it never happened and how dare they accuse them of such a thing! Except it did happen and the "rural" coach actually offered an apology.
The parent does have timeline and quotes on her side. Yours can only be put to bed by the "rural" coach or someone in that locker room.

Either way, that hardly seems to have anything to do with the refs? The way after the fact complaining about the refs doesn't seem relevant. Coach would have shown a whole lot more class to have swallowed his own whistle on that and concentrate on the bigger offense, presuming it happened. That he didn't, why would anyone believe your line now, after he was punished for something unrelated?

He brought the punishment and the disregard of his "ref" concerns on himself as I see it. Further if what you describe did occur, he killed his credibility and an opportunity to address a much bigger problem from a constructive stance.
Old 03-22-17, 09:36 PM
All American

I haven't been able to find the other article- very different account of what happened. You choose to believe this one, I choose to believe there may be more to the story as so often there is. This incident could have opened up a discussion about the reality of bias that many have experienced, maybe this guy/situation isn't the best representative, but it does happen and too often it is brushed away as sour grapes.
Old 03-23-17, 09:32 AM
All District

Quote:
When you throw out a charge of racism, you'd better have explicit evidence of such. If what you say happened, and was heard by multiple people, then that would suffice. But when you throw the racism stinkbomb without being sure, that's despicable. As it is, the parent's letter above seems to, at a minimum, provide a reasonable explanation of this problem. Aren't you engaged in some "brushing aside"?

I think we need to get to a place, in the culture at large, and in the sports culture in particular, where baseless, imaginary, or flimsy charges of racism are just as disgusting as explicit racism. Because I will tell you something - both are examples of racism.
Old 03-23-17, 11:58 AM
All American

I actually didn't in this case- but did discuss that it is sadly present at times in Ohio Girls high school basketball and my daughter and I have personally witnessed it towards her teammates. I am not trying to brush aside that parents letter- perhaps she is 100% correct, I wasn't there and don't know nor would I pretend to. As I said, I do view it as what it is- one persons point of view. The parent at the school where the coach admitted using the term N*****s was fuming mad that anyone would dare accuse their school and award winning coach of such a thing- turns out it did happen, so I tend to take such vehement denials as a point of view not fact.

Maybe this coach is a complete jerk and liar- don't know, but neither do a lot of people accusing him of this. What truly bothers me is the assumption that this never could have happened- people need to open their eyes, because there are a lot of coaches that don't rock the boat despite seeing blatant racism aimed at their teams. If indeed he is fabricating this- then shame on him for crying wolf and creating doubt for the next time someone needs to take a stand.
Old 03-23-17, 04:46 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I actually didn't in this case- but did discuss that it is sadly present at times in Ohio Girls high school basketball and my daughter and I have personally witnessed it towards her teammates. I am not trying to brush aside that parents letter- perhaps she is 100% correct, I wasn't there and don't know nor would I pretend to. As I said, I do view it as what it is- one persons point of view. The parent at the school where the coach admitted using the term N*****s was fuming mad that anyone would dare accuse their school and award winning coach of such a thing- turns out it did happen, so I tend to take such vehement denials as a point of view not fact.

Maybe this coach is a complete jerk and liar- don't know, but neither do a lot of people accusing him of this. What truly bothers me is the assumption that this never could have happened- people need to open their eyes, because there are a lot of coaches that don't rock the boat despite seeing blatant racism aimed at their teams. If indeed he is fabricating this- then shame on him for crying wolf and creating doubt for the next time someone needs to take a stand.
I am still trying to figure out how making pig noises is racial; serious question - could you explain the racial connotations?
Old 03-24-17, 01:30 PM
All District

Quote:

If your daughter or teammates have been the victim of this kind of stupidity, then I am 100% on their side. It's dumb, unfair, hateful, and has no place in a decent society, and certainly in HS interscholastic sports.

Let's agree on this: if any explicitly racist thing is done or said to a kid, we condemn that.

My only problem in this particular case is that I don't see anything explicit here, and the explanations outside of racism seem to make more sense.
Old 03-26-17, 06:36 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Anybody playing AC next year...

The fans should wear these to the game and make snort sounds when AC is
at the foul line!!!

:>---

Scrambled eggs: Slang / The gold braid worn on the bill of the cap of a field-
grade officer in the armed services.