Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-22-17, 09:10 PM
Freshman

Nodaysoff is on a distinguished road
GWOC Baseball 2017

With the season right around the corner finally, what players do you think will stand out this year?

Thoughts on who will be dangerous offensively and who will be tough to beat on the hill?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-17, 10:20 AM
All American

Captain Awesome is on a distinguished road
Springboro-should be loaded, have a ton of seniors three big time arms Snyder, Pagliarini, and Kean to go along with McConnel at shortstop.

Butler-will be good with Dues at shortstop and Norman on the mound and if Burley is healthy that's another good arm on the mound.

Tipp City- should be strong as well as they return most of their team and have a few arms who can compete with most anyone.

Miamisburg- has Myers at shortstop and sophomore Duncan Hall on the mound should be good.

GWOC American North should be a very good battle for the league champion between Tipp and Butler with Troy maybe playing spoilers.

American South is a terrible set of teams for baseball, give me Fairborn out of those teams.

National East give me Centerville, they have some good young talent coming through with Hoffman on the mound.

National West give me Springboro to much on the mound not many high school teams can run three D1 arms at you in a week.

One thing to not about the GWOC this year is the amount of talent in the middle infield, off the top of my head you have:
Dues- Wright State
Bell- Old Dominion
Mcconnell- Wright State
Funderburg- Ohio
Myers- Toledo

Centerville has a kid going to Ohio State just do not know his name that is a middle infielder.

Other notable GWOC players:
Eichbaum- Campbell
Norman- Wright State
Hoffman- Clemson
Webb- Toledo
Snyder- Youngstown State
Pagliarini- Northwestern
Kean- Ohio State

That's off the top of my head hopefully other can fill in who I am missing.
Old 02-23-17, 10:24 AM
All Ohio

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Justyn Eichbaum and Andrew Kraska lead Tipp offensively this year after both putting up solid numbers last year. On the mound Tipp should be one of the best returning their top 4 pitchers and 7 of their top 9 bats. The pitching staff includes Aaron Hughes FB low 80s (8-1, 0.75 ERA), Evan Ford FB low to mid 80s (6-3, 1.51 ERA), Bradley Calhoun FB low 80s (3-2, 2.67 ERA), Trevor Staggs FB mid to upper 80s (3-0, 2.38 ERA). Also Justyn Eichbaum should figure into the pitching rotation after not pitching last year due to ACL surgery, he has a solid fastball in the mid 80s.
Old 02-27-17, 05:25 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Justyn Eichbaum and Andrew Kraska lead Tipp offensively this year after both putting up solid numbers last year. On the mound Tipp should be one of the best returning their top 4 pitchers and 7 of their top 9 bats. The pitching staff includes Aaron Hughes FB low 80s (8-1, 0.75 ERA), Evan Ford FB low to mid 80s (6-3, 1.51 ERA), Bradley Calhoun FB low 80s (3-2, 2.67 ERA), Trevor Staggs FB mid to upper 80s (3-0, 2.38 ERA). Also Justyn Eichbaum should figure into the pitching rotation after not pitching last year due to ACL surgery, he has a solid fastball in the mid 80s.
Ranking how good a various conference is at the state level in a sport, the GWOC North best sport might be baseball with the addition of Tipp. Then comes football, with basketball, sadly, a distance third.

I hope this Tipp-VB baseball things becomes a huge rivalry. Like Yankees -Red Sox, people throwing at heads and tripping asst. coaches type of things. That sure would be fun (for me at least!)
Old 02-27-17, 05:50 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Tipp and Vandalia might have a rivalry. We will see. But Troy should not be taken lightly. They will be right there. Remember, in the last 5 years, Troy has won the league twice, while Butler has 3 times.
Old 02-27-17, 06:10 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Tipp and Vandalia might have a rivalry. We will see. But Troy should not be taken lightly. They will be right there. Remember, in the last 5 years, Troy has won the league twice, while Butler has 3 times.
Agree, very good program.
Old 02-27-17, 11:36 PM
All World

UcantCatchMe is on a distinguished road
Springboro should be the class of the GWOC this year. If they don't make a deep tourney run this year something is wrong. They have 3 division 1 pitchers. A great catcher in Beachy who has signed with D-2 Walsh. Another division 1 commit in the infield as well as the outfield. They have depth for days and more high level talent coming through the ranks.

Reminds me of the old Wayne teams that seemingly had Division 1 players all over the field.
Old 02-28-17, 01:42 AM
Varsity

Peterson78 is on a distinguished road
Fairborn is far from a terrible baseball team. Very strong senior class out of them this year
Old 02-28-17, 02:07 AM
Junior Varsity

Gwave12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Will be interesting to see what Troy has this year. They graduated their top 3 arms and pretty much their entire starting line-up from last spring.
Old 02-28-17, 08:15 AM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwave12 View Post
Will be interesting to see what Troy has this year. They graduated their top 3 arms and pretty much their entire starting line-up from last spring.
Right, they probably won't be a contender this Season. They do have a lot of good young talent though.
Old 03-08-17, 07:17 PM
Freshman

latti6935a is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Right, they probably won't be a contender this Season. They do have a lot of good young talent though.
They lost a ton but I think they will compete and will be in the likely top three that should be Tipp, Butler and Troy. Tipp is going to be loaded this year and I like them to win the division. I see Butler and Troy duking it out for second.
Old 03-14-17, 06:57 AM
Freshman

balls & strikes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterson78 View Post
Fairborn is far from a terrible baseball team. Very strong senior class out of them this year
Fairborn could be one of the better teams in the GWOC this year, Webb is their ace followed by Profit & Fields. Should be a good hitting team with 13 seniors on the roster. Agree worst overall division after adding Trotwood to go along with West Carrolton & Xenia.
Old 03-14-17, 08:15 AM
All Ohio

Any other teams heading south for spring break?
Old 03-20-17, 08:22 PM
Varsity

HSFootballFan1972 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Centerville heading to Tennessee for a weekend round robin, if you call that south. Looking forward to the day that they head to Florida so the kids can enjoy a day or two rather than coming back from that weekend and playing 6 games over 8 days.
Old 03-24-17, 10:34 AM
Hail To The Aviators

ButlerAviator83 is on a distinguished road
Butler is solid once again, just have to see how it goes. The past two seasons have seen Butler power through tough schdedules, go 20-0 in the GWOC North and fade out early in the tournament. Hopefully this year Butler can keep the momentum for a deep, deep run. Should be a good one!

http://www.vandaliabutlerbaseball.com/recent-articles
Old 03-24-17, 10:37 AM
Hail To The Aviators

Quote:
Butler will head down to Myrtle Beach after the opener at Coldwater. Scheduled to play five games in five days next week at the Ripken Experience. Should have some great weather down there.

Tipp heading south?
Old 03-27-17, 03:43 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerAviator83 View Post
Butler will head down to Myrtle Beach after the opener at Coldwater. Scheduled to play five games in five days next week at the Ripken Experience. Should have some great weather down there.

Tipp heading south?
yes, Ft. Walton, Florida
Old 04-04-17, 08:49 AM
Freshman

Big win for the good guys over Sidney last night. Good to see that W flag go up and I suspect that we might see a lot of that this season.
Old 04-04-17, 07:15 PM
All Ohio

Tipp opens up GWOC play with an 8-3 and 15-2 victory over Sidney
Old 04-04-17, 07:23 PM
All Ohio

VB rolls through Florida unchallenged. Burley looks to be recovered.
Old 04-05-17, 07:19 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
VB rolls through Florida unchallenged. Burley looks to be recovered.
No doubt an impressive start but it's early and wouldn't say that they have exactly played anyone yet. If I remember right they started like this last year and faded pretty fast. No disrespect intended but I'm not buying the hype. Tipp is DEEP with pitching and these guys can rake at the plate. Most of these guys have been playing together since little league so chemistry is good. I'd say they started out right in the new league beating a former GWOC champion 15-2 at THERE place last night!
Old 04-05-17, 12:12 PM
Freshman

JuuustABitOutside is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by latti6935a View Post
No doubt an impressive start but it's early and wouldn't say that they have exactly played anyone yet. If I remember right they started like this last year and faded pretty fast. No disrespect intended but I'm not buying the hype. Tipp is DEEP with pitching and these guys can rake at the plate. Most of these guys have been playing together since little league so chemistry is good. I'd say they started out right in the new league beating a former GWOC champion 15-2 at THERE place last night!
Tipp is very good this year. Definitely a contender for the North. Butler played some pretty good teams in Myrtle so wouldn't say they haven't played anyone. Waxed DeSales who I am sure you remember from last year, no doubt probably a different team. Will be a great year for baseball in the area. Also, Sidney last won the league 11 years ago. So former is correct...but...
Old 04-05-17, 01:44 PM
All Region

HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
Butler was 22-4 last year. 10-0 in conference play. What do you mean "faded pretty fast"?
Old 04-05-17, 06:04 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
Butler was 22-4 last year. 10-0 in conference play. What do you mean "faded pretty fast"?
Great regular season but losing to Tecumseh was not so good. Think they did the same thing the year before lost in first round. Like I said I respect them and they are very very good just not a tournament team and isn't that what it's all about?
Old 04-05-17, 09:21 PM
All Ohio

I think baseball is tough when it comes to one and done in the playoffs. I agree they need to play better in the post season, but baseball has the most "upsets" in the tourney than all the other major sports.

There is no question that Dues's baseball program is one of the top in the city of Dayton for a long time, and the best sport at VB (by a long shot). How that translates tourney time is tough to tell. You say not a tourney team, but H.S. baseball does not have dynastys. Moeller should never lose a game with their talent for example, but baseball is a different breed in my opinion. Does not mean their coach is bad, or their players are not clutch in the tournament. It has more to do any decent team can beat a superpower in one game. (In a best of 7, Moeller, VB, etc would have much better playoff performances.)
Old 04-06-17, 07:04 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
I think baseball is tough when it comes to one and done in the playoffs. I agree they need to play better in the post season, but baseball has the most "upsets" in the tourney than all the other major sports.

There is no question that Dues's baseball program is one of the top in the city of Dayton for a long time, and the best sport at VB (by a long shot). How that translates tourney time is tough to tell. You say not a tourney team, but H.S. baseball does not have dynastys. Moeller should never lose a game with their talent for example, but baseball is a different breed in my opinion. Does not mean their coach is bad, or their players are not clutch in the tournament. It has more to do any decent team can beat a superpower in one game. (In a best of 7, Moeller, VB, etc would have much better playoff performances.)
Agree with everything you are saying here. One of the better programs in the area and I would even say state. I do respect what Coach Dues has built at Butler. I'm just saying don't hand them the division yet because my Red Devils will likely have something to say about that. . Can't wait for those games we have been waiting for this for a long time. Hopefully both teams can stay healthy and have a battle royale for all the marbles.
Old 04-06-17, 02:23 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by latti6935a View Post
Agree with everything you are saying here. One of the better programs in the area and I would even say state. I do respect what Coach Dues has built at Butler. I'm just saying don't hand them the division yet because my Red Devils will likely have something to say about that. . Can't wait for those games we have been waiting for this for a long time. Hopefully both teams can stay healthy and have a battle royale for all the marbles.
For sure, I mentioned in another thread that I hope the Tipp VB rivalry blossoms into something special. It seems VB has no natural rivals anymore. Northmont does not care/to big (baseball slightly different), Trotwood to good at everything (-baseball of course)

I think a team from the North will make a good run this year at state, and it probably will not be the team that wins the conference.
Old 04-06-17, 04:25 PM
Hail To The Aviators

I don't think there is any doubt that Butler and Tipp are on a collision course. Should be a great two game series, but plenty of teams will be taking their best shots at both along the way. Tipp has always proven to be a stout match-up and that will only intensify now that they are a league foe. While these two are the "favorites" neither can afford to sleep on anyone in the North....trap games are lurking.
Old 04-09-17, 12:38 AM
Freshman

C-bus81 is on a distinguished road
Miamisburg is looking good, scoring alot of points!
Old 04-09-17, 01:52 PM
All World

UcantCatchMe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-bus81 View Post
Miamisburg is looking good, scoring alot of points!
Wow. Points??