Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-01-17, 11:53 AM
Junior Varsity

Honest Abe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
LOL, times must be tough in your program if you're trying to dump on Sandy Valley to make your own inadequacies feel less pronounced. It just cracks me up hearing teams' fans that have never stepped outside their comfort zone, and have earned their early exit reputation by sneaking into the playoffs by playing weak teams, crapping on one of those weak teams because they're no longer as weak as they were, but they still want to play them! HAHAHAHA Not only does it make zero sense, it lets this board know how small you think your program's weiner really is.

IMO Claymont and IV are going to manhandle this league.

Well yeah they are going to manhandle it!!! Sandy Valley isn't in the same division as them!!
Old 03-01-17, 12:04 PM
Freshman

RubberChickenII is on a distinguished road
Indian Valley should be a prominent favorite in the "new" IVC. Claymont will this year but not sure after that. Ridgewood and Garaway both graduated big senior classes and should be down, especially by their standards, but I think in a few years both will be just fine in the "new" IVC. Garaway made the Regional Championship this year and the Wood made a State Final 4 appearance in 09, I agree no league team is racking up state titles but I believe thats as far if not further than Dover and New Phila. Not sure what you Sandy supporters consider "noise" in the playoffs but it has been well documented that your definition of "awoken" is a runner up finish in the "old" IVC.
Old 03-01-17, 01:00 PM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberChickenII View Post
Garaway made the Regional Championship this year
Wrong.
Quote:
I agree no league team is racking up state titles but I believe thats as far if not further than Dover and New Phila.
Wrong.

Quote:
Not sure what you Sandy supporters consider "noise" in the playoffs but it has been well documented that your definition of "awoken" is a runner up finish in the "old" IVC.
Beating teams that they don't beat is one heck of an accomplishment. Almost half their schedule they'd never beaten this century. IV, Garaway, Malvern, and Ridgewood. It's a heck of lot more noteworthy than 2 short guys standing on a group of midgets and calling themselves tall. Then even more embarrassing, getting beat by one of those midgets, while still claiming to be tall.
Old 03-01-17, 02:19 PM
Freshman

Redline is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
Wrong.

Wrong.

Beating teams that they don't beat is one heck of an accomplishment. Almost half their schedule they'd never beaten this century. IV, Garaway, Malvern, and Ridgewood. It's a heck of lot more noteworthy than 2 short guys standing on a group of midgets and calling themselves tall. Then even more embarrassing, getting beat by one of those midgets, while still claiming to be tall.
Who is claiming to be tall?? Maybe it was SV lat year who touted their, at one time, #4 ranking in the state before getting beaten by Ridgewood 21-7. Or maybe it was this year when SV was all hyped up by every newspaper and radio show around that area before a 31-0 drubbing vs ridgewood and a loss to Garaway (which is respectable) and then losing to TCC. If SV has awoken, why was your coach so quick to jump ship? He saw the writing on the wall.
Old 03-01-17, 02:42 PM
All District

Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
I think it is somewhat unfair to slight SV peeps for getting excited for some success - it was long awaited.

From the IVC circles I am in - the former SV HC liked to hype things up generate excitement - also had a bit of a bravado to him that rubbed others the wrong way.

Can see how that could be a bad thing and also a good thing. No one wants to deal with an ego however you want your lead man to have some confidence and swag.

I think SV had some kids finally and won some games, could be business as usual next year tho as a coach bolting can be a sign of the down cycle.
Old 03-01-17, 06:39 PM
All Region

pigskin13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit22 View Post
I think it is somewhat unfair to slight SV peeps for getting excited for some success - it was long awaited.

From the IVC circles I am in - the former SV HC liked to hype things up generate excitement - also had a bit of a bravado to him that rubbed others the wrong way.

Can see how that could be a bad thing and also a good thing. No one wants to deal with an ego however you want your lead man to have some confidence and swag.

I think SV had some kids finally and won some games, could be business as usual next year tho as a coach bolting can be a sign of the down cycle.
Coach Gardner was a great coach for Sandy Valley. I would want a coach who...
1-Generates excitement
2-Has bravado
3-Leads team to best record in school history
4-Has most wins in school history (in just 4 years)
5-Has team make playoff for the first time in school history
6-Has that first playoff game at home
7-Wins first playoff game in school history

A big loss for Sandy Valley when he took another job.
Old 03-02-17, 08:33 AM
Freshman

RubberChickenII is on a distinguished road
[/QUOTE]Then even more embarrassing, getting beat by one of those midgets, while still claiming to be tall.[/QUOTE]

Who got beat by a midget?

Are you referring to Sandy Valley as a midget in a short league? They are/have been the largest school in the league other than the past 2 seasons(in which enrollment figures were lower due to digital school kids)

I apologize Garaway got beat in the Regional semis, in a great game by the way, by the eventual state semifinalist.

New Phila won their 1st playoff game this year and lost in the Regional Final, and I believe Dover made regional final in 2010 and then won it for a state semi berth in 2012. Both have been very good if not great programs. Ridgewood and Malvern both have state semi berths.

Before you state that Dover and Phila would beat Ridgewood, Garaway and Malvern...no sh$t, they have 3 times the boys in their school and are 2-4 divisions bigger than those IVC schools.. Ohio State also would beat Toledo.

Last edited by RubberChickenII; 03-02-17 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-02-17, 08:35 AM
Freshman

Redline is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigskin13 View Post
Coach Gardner was a great coach for Sandy Valley. I would want a coach who...
1-Generates excitement
2-Has bravado
3-Leads team to best record in school history
4-Has most wins in school history (in just 4 years)
5-Has team make playoff for the first time in school history
6-Has that first playoff game at home
7-Wins first playoff game in school history

A big loss for Sandy Valley when he took another job.
Feel like his bravado got his mouth a little ahead of his talent sometimes and his kids paid the price. And lets not toot his horn too much about most wins in school history in only 4 years... The previous bar was set pretty high at 26 career wins. lol Think he did good things for SV but like I said, I think he saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship. So much for "building the brand"
Old 03-02-17, 12:33 PM
Freshman

Johnny Moxon is on a distinguished road
So I'm confused on this new league. I'm kind of an outsider, but how did the teams get split up for football?

I read on here where newcomerstown asked to be in the big school?? they haven't been good since 01/02? Sandy in the small school? How/why did people agree to this?
Old 03-02-17, 01:04 PM
All District

2 years ago - newcomerstown was unhappy - in a league meeting it came up and they voiced the displeasure of all the driving and losing local rivals to other leagues and just not feeling it. Ok so the league has bounced the adding more teams around for YEARS - I know this from numerous conversations with Chuck Rest over those same years. He was league commissioner forever for IVC. So the IVC looked around and asked who was interested to which the schools right infront of them TV, IV, CLAY were all waving their hands. SO they looked to add some teams which at that time the schools made the decision to split the football up based on enrollment and geography - to which Newcomerstown said plainly - they wanted to play the schools that are touching their district - Ridgewood, Garaway, Claymont, IV - throw in TV and there is your 6 teams Buckeye trail wanted in badly and said they would be willing to travel, Sandy Valley said they would like to keep their local rivalries with EC and Malvern - TCC, Stras were good either way. So the football was addressed. The league also has a team named HILAND and figured they could blend them in for basket and baseball. CV former member wanted in but not for football which everyone was like "RIGHT!!!!" So there is a slight shuffle for basketball and baseball trading TV and Buckeye to shorten the numerous trips of those sports - Hiland is extra to south, CV is extra to north.

Those were the motivations - competitive balance was not an influence to these small schools trying to create good situations of travel and keeping local rivalries in tact.
Old 03-03-17, 09:57 AM
All District

tuscoslimshady is on a distinguished road
Nice Post Bandit!
Old 03-03-17, 10:16 AM
All District

Thanks tusco!

I think it does make sense that SV would play the larger schools - yet when you understand what the primary motivations of the league and school leaders and you look at a map with week night bus trips for other sports and middle schools then yes some simple switches just took tons of miles traveled off the table by Newcomerstown, SV, TV, and Buckeye Trail switching it up a bit.

The tier deal crumbled to the east with small schools - but I am watching this situation to see how it works. I watch several leagues, the more the NFL makes me sick - the more high school leagues I watch and follow.
Old 03-03-17, 11:55 AM
Moderated User

Westgbooster is on a distinguished road
Catholic schools need to each bump up a division

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-17, 10:12 AM
All District

Quote:
Thanks tusco!

I think it does make sense that SV would play the larger schools - yet when you understand what the primary motivations of the league and school leaders and you look at a map with week night bus trips for other sports and middle schools then yes some simple switches just took tons of miles traveled off the table by Newcomerstown, SV, TV, and Buckeye Trail switching it up a bit.

The tier deal crumbled to the east with small schools - but I am watching this situation to see how it works. I watch several leagues, the more the NFL makes me sick - the more high school leagues I watch and follow.
I think with the state average of keeping a bus on the road at close to $4.50 a mile moves like the IVC made will be in the minds of other school officals in the near future.We all love the competition but with a few sports supporting many others $ have to be considered!
Old 03-06-17, 11:09 AM
All District

and by all rights if Buckeye ever wanted to be grouped in the south for football as well I am sure a switch of TV to the north wouldn't be a big deal either.
Old 03-07-17, 09:25 AM
All District

Absolutely and think Tv belongs in the North,and would love to see them there!
Old 03-07-17, 09:29 AM
All District

Quote:
and by all rights if Buckeye ever wanted to be grouped in the south for football as well I am sure a switch of TV to the north wouldn't be a big deal either.
Absolutely would love to see Tv in the North! IMO they belong there!
Old 03-07-17, 10:42 AM
All District

only IV and the 922ers have larger enrollments than TV

They kinda sit on the line north and south and we aren't talking about a lot of miles here - maybe if schools like Harrison Central want back to their roots and apply and maybe a kersawcten(spelled wrong on purpose) then TV would get the move. Not sure TV wanted moved down as the teams in the north predominantly are D7 and TV stands at D5 - we can watch if SV runs the table and has difficulty making the post season. Not sure it will be an issue - we won't know till it happens. But as it sits Coshocton TV IV SV Garaway Ridgewood and Harrison Central are all in same region
Old 03-07-17, 11:38 AM
Junior Varsity

Honest Abe is on a distinguished road
Indian Valley is D4 Region 15

Sandy Valley is D5 Region 17

Ctown, Tv, Gway, Wood, and HC are in 19.

So not all of those schools are in the same region
Old 03-07-17, 12:03 PM
All District

Abe - type error

meant to say same division as I was talking divisions - thanks for catching it

and you are right IV and Clay are up one division - oops!!
Old 03-09-17, 09:55 AM
Freshman

Thanks for the post Bandit...Very interesting moves by sandy and newcomerstown i see. not the smartest i must add, shocked the vote passed
Old 03-09-17, 05:20 PM
Freshman

luvhsfb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Moxon View Post
Thanks for the post Bandit...Very interesting moves by sandy and newcomerstown i see. not the smartest i must add, shocked the vote passed
Curious Johnny not the smartest in what aspect? Just a question! You read Bandists informating filled post and dont understand sv or nct reasoning.One might not agree but not understanding?
Old 03-10-17, 01:11 PM
Freshman

IMO newcomerstown agreeing to get their @$$ kicked in the big school is bad for a program, bad for kids, and bad for coaches trying to build a program.

and IMO, Sandy Valley is trying to become a "big dog" while starting to taste some success. So why not join the big school and challenge yourself and try to keep competing with the big dogs like Ridgewood and Garaway. Because in reality, those schools are the same size.

Things just don't make sense to me like they do others I guess.
Old 03-10-17, 01:28 PM
All District

no no johnny what you are saying makes total sense. and to be honest I too was surprised to hear how everyone agreed and things fell into place. Even with who to admit into the league there was unanimous agreement.

I think what you have is schools being motivated or prioritizing the moves for their league to be driven by local rivalries - gate - and travel times.

So in your case you are thinking totally about for lack of better phrase "competitive balance" I agree in FOOTBALL newcomerstown will have quite a row to hoe so to speak

but on the flip I don't see SV mowing over the north division year in and year out, Buckeye Trail has some teams come out of there every so often, and Malvern and EC has been seen strong bubble classes come through.

Your point was not dismissed - rather the schools were just not making that balance top priority - in saying that - with that one switch of those two schools - they did get it pretty balanced.
Old 03-10-17, 02:57 PM
Freshman

colorswitch is on a distinguished road
What do teams have coming back?

I joined because I wanted to see what teams had coming back.

Garaway Everyone is glad to see Jacobs go, can they be good? I read on here that they had a nice 8th grader.

Ridgewood - Lost a lot in Harrison and Landdaker. their line of scrimmage controlled games. That had to be one of the best small school lines in a long time.

Indian Valley - They say this is the year and many great years for the foreseeable future. What do we see coming back?

Tusky Valley i know nothing

Claymont not going to lie i think this will be a very good year for us. we are thinking playoffs

Newcomerstown they start out with Barnesville, Barnesville lost everything. I can see things starting out good for Josh

Sandy Valley - they seem to be taking a beating on here. The fact is it makes no sense to place them where they did. However their AD said they wouldnt agree if they were not in small school.

Buckeye Trail - dont know much i heard they lost 2 offensive starters and 3 defensive starters.

TCC - Last year I thought they had two really talented quarterbacks? Are either one back? I know they had some good skill guys from Dover also. I do not know much on these guys.

East Canton I think they have athletes everywhere.

Malvern are they trending down? Every year they seem to rebuild and reload.

Strasburg Cregan will be the best player in the small school conference I would assume. They should be a handful.
Old 03-10-17, 05:09 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorswitch View Post
I joined because I wanted to see what teams had coming back.

Garaway Everyone is glad to see Jacobs go, can they be good? I read on here that they had a nice 8th grader.

Ridgewood - Lost a lot in Harrison and Landdaker. their line of scrimmage controlled games. That had to be one of the best small school lines in a long time.

Indian Valley - They say this is the year and many great years for the foreseeable future. What do we see coming back?

Tusky Valley i know nothing

Claymont not going to lie i think this will be a very good year for us. we are thinking playoffs

Newcomerstown they start out with Barnesville, Barnesville lost everything. I can see things starting out good for Josh

Sandy Valley - they seem to be taking a beating on here. The fact is it makes no sense to place them where they did. However their AD said they wouldnt agree if they were not in small school.

Buckeye Trail - dont know much i heard they lost 2 offensive starters and 3 defensive starters.

TCC - Last year I thought they had two really talented quarterbacks? Are either one back? I know they had some good skill guys from Dover also. I do not know much on these guys.

East Canton I think they have athletes everywhere.

Malvern are they trending down? Every year they seem to rebuild and reload.

Strasburg Cregan will be the best player in the small school conference I would assume. They should be a handful.
Welcome colorswitch.

Garaway Brady Winters should be the main man in the Pirate offense either at RB or WR. I thought their Freshman QB Dawson Ley did well as the backup to Jacobs last year.

Ridgewood They lose a lot, but return a couple of OL starters and a few skill guys that saw playing time.

Indian Valley will be lead by a talented Jr. class. They should be much improved over last year.

Tusky Valley will have QB Ethan Love (Jr) who will entering his third season as the starting QB and FB Seth Johnson.

Claymont RB's Xavier Grant and Hunter Hershburger return on offense along with 3 OL, the WR and TE. On defense all 11 starters return and 3 of the top 6 backups.

Newcomerstown I hope they can get some wins in those first 6 weeks, the last 4 games A-Indian Valley H-Claymont H-Garaway A-Ridgewood.

Sandy Valley They lose a lot, only 1 starter in the OL and none on the DL return. They do have a couple of good RB's in Bracken and Obradovich returning. With Mozden graduating, who is going to play QB?

Buckeye Trail loses their top playmaker in QB Troy Pontius but return a good RB in Austin Snodgrass.

TCC loses most of their skill players, we'll have to see how good they recruit this year.

East Canton loses their 2 top RB in Nelson and McCullough. Mitch Mitchell returns at QB.

Malvern should be improved as QB Drew Hutchison and RB Austin Patterson return.

Strasburg Cregan returns at QB and Justin Stopky at one of the RB spots, they lose a lot with Burnsworth graduating.

I'd go with Bracken (Sandy Valley) Snodgrass (Buckeye Trail) and Hutchison (Malvern) as the best players in the small division.
Old 03-10-17, 06:37 PM
All Region

ECOLace is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Moxon View Post
IMO newcomerstown agreeing to get their @$$ kicked in the big school is bad for a program, bad for kids, and bad for coaches trying to build a program.

and IMO, Sandy Valley is trying to become a "big dog" while starting to taste some success. So why not join the big school and challenge yourself and try to keep competing with the big dogs like Ridgewood and Garaway. Because in reality, those schools are the same size.

Things just don't make sense to me like they do others I guess.
Newcomerstown wanted to be in the bigger league because it made sense for them geographically. I don't think Sandy Valley cares either way.
Old 03-12-17, 12:19 PM
All Region

Questions for each team.

Sandy Valley- With Nelson Mozden graduating, Who plays QB?

Buckeye Trail- 9 of 10 games against IVC teams, why?

Malvern -Def. Co. Cameron Ruff took they Head Coaching job at Fairport Harding, who will be the new Def. Co.?

Strasburg- 22 players on the roster last year, 10 were seniors, how many players this coming season?

East Canton- Who replaces the RB combo of Nelson and McCullough?

TCC- Skilled players decimated by graduation, who replaces them?

Indian Valley- Will a talented Junior class be enough to lead them back to the playoffs?

Ridgewood-They went 9-1 last year, much tougher schedule this year (Gone are River View, Malvern, TCC and Sandy Valley Replaced with Indian Valley, Claymont, Coshocton and Tusky Valley) How many games do they win this year?

Newcomerstown- With Jeff Lahmers resigning, who will be the new head coach?

Garaway- With QB Jacobs and 4 of top 5 receivers graduating, will they run the ball more this year?

Tusky Valley- Will they had enough money in the budget this year to afford helmet stickers? The plain black helmet with no logo or even a stripe was not a good look.

Claymont- With a lot of experience returning on both sides of the ball, will they finally earn their second playoff appearance?

How many IVC teams make the playoffs this year?
Old 03-12-17, 05:03 PM
Freshman

colorswitch is on a distinguished road
Josh Lahmers resigned?
Old 03-12-17, 05:22 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorswitch View Post
Josh Lahmers resigned?
Newcomerstown posted on OHSAA.org last Friday that they are looking for a head football coach.