Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-13-17, 02:08 PM
All Region

Perk Diggler is on a distinguished road
The 2019 class may be the best class the state of Ohio has seen in a very long time.

Last edited by Perk Diggler; 02-13-17 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-15-17, 10:50 AM
All American

America is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
Your memory is correct. An inexcusable omission by the completely clueless AP voters. Braxtin Miller didn't make 1st, 2nd or even 3rd team D2 All-State. Heck, she didn't even make Special Mention. Only Honorable Mention. The AP voters felt at least 48 players in D2 alone were better than Braxtin...they probably felt hundreds were better considering all four divisions.

She's the best player (apologies to Libby Bazelak) on the best D2 team in the state, three years in a row. 33 points and 10 rebounds in last year's state championship game. Shameful snub...it doesn't get any worse than that.

But what do I know compared to the AP experts?
the AP is pretty dumb. They water it down so everyone gets included. They should do research to see who these girls play. There are girls that may drop 20ppg on a team that wins 15 games, is a sectional finalist, and plays a horrific schedule.
Old 02-17-17, 10:20 AM
All Yappi

MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENDAY View Post
Dayshanette Harris won't even get Northeast-Inland District Player of the Year for Division III. Her team is hovering around .500. She is a very talented player but I have talked to a lot of people around the Ursuline program who say she plays no D and does not make her teammates better at all.
While I agree her chances at this award are slim, your sources are being overly critical. The girl can flat out play. As a fan of a team she played earlier in the year, I didn't see any of what you're saying.
Old 02-17-17, 11:24 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perk Diggler View Post
The 2019 class may be the best class the state of Ohio has seen in a very long time.
Names? Criteria?
Old 03-14-17, 06:13 PM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Some of the post season awards are coming out

Gatorade player of the year Senior Dee Bekelja Solon High

D4 Player of the year senior Angela Troyer Berlin Highland

D3 co Players of the Year Jr Nazi Hilmon Gilmour Academy and Sr. Gabby Burris Liberty Union

D2 Player of the year Senior Jiselle Thomas Norwalk

Ms. Basketball should come from one of these four. Or whomever is named the D1 Player of the year if its not Dee Bekelja

Last edited by cvctrackfan; 03-14-17 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-14-17, 08:07 PM
Freshman

EastOhio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoban2019 View Post
If OHSAA doesn't come down hard on this violation, I will lose all faith in them. To think an active wide receiver in the NFL and former college quarterback can come back to play high school basketball and get away with it. And on a girls team no less!
He identifies as a 17 year old girl, nuff said !
Old 03-15-17, 05:24 PM
All Region

JM92 is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Kierstan Bell!!
Old 03-15-17, 06:15 PM
All American

Great Choice. The girl can do it all
Old 03-15-17, 08:50 PM
All American

chocolatecity is on a distinguished road
Congratulations Kierstan! The article in the Repository told her story ....great story proud of her!
Old 03-16-17, 03:28 AM
All Region

denbigfish is on a distinguished road
Well Deserved

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
Great Choice. The girl can do it all
Looks like McKinley is in great shape with this solid top player for the next two years They very well can win it all this year. Who's gonna stop them the next two as long as Bell is on the floor. Stay healthy kid and hit those books. Your future is unlimited.
Old 03-16-17, 11:52 AM
All American

Did I read it right- she is 17 in the middle of sophomore year?
Old 03-16-17, 04:19 PM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatecity View Post
Congratulations Kierstan! The article in the Repository told her story ....great story proud of her!
Hope all the young kids in the city read her story,CONGRATES Ms Basketball and good luck to you and your mates.
Old 03-16-17, 07:42 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
Did I read it right- she is 17 in the middle of sophomore year?

And? Still a great player any way you slice it.
Old 03-16-17, 08:09 PM
All American

Absolutely- no knock to the player or her talents--, huge congrats! First sophomore to win it, which is a huge honor and being heavily promoted, but the player is the same age as some kids at graduation? Speaks to the changing culture of sports I guess, but does it make the "first sophomore" part of it seem less significant when the player is significantly older than your typical 10 th grader?
Old 03-16-17, 08:18 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
Absolutely- no knock to the player or her talents--, huge congrats! First sophomore to win it, which is a huge honor and being heavily promoted, but the player is the same age as some kids at graduation? Speaks to the changing culture of sports I guess, but does it make the "first sophomore" part of it seem less significant when the player is significantly older than your typical 10 th grader?

Well you got me there, I graduated when I was 17 lol.. didn't turn 18 till that summer Most of the kids in my class were a year older than me tho
Old 03-16-17, 08:55 PM
All American

But not many were 19 at graduation and driving freshman year! Overheard at a recruiting event last year a big time college coach asking a parent of a middle-school-aged player: "what graduation year is he?", parent replied, "what year do you want him to be, sir?". I guess you can't fault he parents for playing the game- they didn't create they rules.
Old 03-17-17, 06:14 AM
All American

The young lady is a student athlete. What difference does it make if she is young for her grade or older for her grade. As long as she is within the rules of the Ohsaa. It takes nothing away from her accomplishments.
Old 03-17-17, 06:46 AM
All American

Quote:
The young lady is a student athlete. What difference does it make if she is young for her grade or older for her grade. As long as she is within the rules of the Ohsaa. It takes nothing away from her accomplishments.
It doesn't make a difference and so am sure she is deserving of all accolades and honors! Got zero beef with the player or her parents decisions and applaud her obvious dedication and talents. Clearly missed the gist of my observation- 17 in the middle of sophomore year is not merely "older for her grade" that is unusual and a somewhat alarming trend in athletics. Having a sophomore win is being touted as history making for this honor, but when many current seniors are the same age is a bit disingenuous.
Old 03-17-17, 08:32 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It puts the accomplishment into a perspective. Why fear that? A 15 year old winning a 13 year old accomplishment wouldn't be seen the same, regardless it's still an accomplishment, right?

A sophmore receiving this acknowledgement is different than a "sophmore" winning this acknowledgement. The first is playing against cohorts with more time for experience. Labron, Jimmy Jackson weren't seen EXTRA special because they were good as 17-18 year olds. They were seen as special because they could compete with 17-18 year olds when they were 14-15 year olds.

It's a perspective, not a slam.
Old 03-29-17, 08:11 AM
Junior Varsity

SCBOH is on a distinguished road
The AP picked a good one for the winner. Just like every year, several girls could have won it but there's really no way to argue Bell winning it. Her team did well, she was their MVP, and her production was through the roof. As usual, the AP did leave us with some mind boggling info...According to the AP Braxtin Miller and Dee Bekelja received 0 votes and were not even in the running for POY. Head scratcher for sure!
Old 03-31-17, 08:03 AM
All World

sportsprophet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
It puts the accomplishment into a perspective. Why fear that? A 15 year old winning a 13 year old accomplishment wouldn't be seen the same, regardless it's still an accomplishment, right?

A sophmore receiving this acknowledgement is different than a "sophmore" winning this acknowledgement. The first is playing against cohorts with more time for experience. Labron, Jimmy Jackson weren't seen EXTRA special because they were good as 17-18 year olds. They were seen as special because they could compete with 17-18 year olds when they were 14-15 year olds.

It's a perspective, not a slam.
^^^^^^^^this......
Old 04-03-17, 10:37 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Kballer clearly has some ax to grind and loves to believe b.s. rumors. Do you all realize how many kids in every class are a year old or a year young for their grade? Please stop trying to knock a kid down based on what rumor mill garbage you think is true. You choose wording which makes things sound horrible... she's a year older than the typical sophomores.. big deal... it happens.
Old 04-04-17, 05:42 PM
All Yappi

More like two years but as you choose, if it's not an issue so why lie or stretch or worry what anyone else thinks? Say it like it is. Not knocking, 17 would be considered young to be a soph in my family. Heck, most of us don't even make it that far. 8th, Fr, GED.
Old 04-05-17, 09:26 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
Kballer clearly has some ax to grind and loves to believe b.s. rumors. Do you all realize how many kids in every class are a year old or a year young for their grade? Please stop trying to knock a kid down based on what rumor mill garbage you think is true. You choose wording which makes things sound horrible... she's a year older than the typical sophomores.. big deal... it happens.
Zero ax, don't know her or have an opinion one way or another about her as a player- clearly a top talent to garner the honor and I said as much and meant it. Not a rumor, bs or otherwise - her mom talked about when her birthday was and her age in an interview.

If you actually read what I wrote instead of just reacting you would see I Wasn't knocking the kid AT ALL, how could I -not her choice on what grade she is in? Just felt the touting of how incredible it was for a sophomore to win considering that the player was significantly older than the majority of her peers was very disingenuous- others agree. I feel the situation spoke to how the age manipulation is becoming more common in high school sports and that is a big deal as it isn't always for the good of the kids. In many cases it puts the focus in the wrong place, not saying it is happening here, but it certainly is a discussion that has and should happen.

I made it sound "horrible"? If you do the math (assuming no "redshirt" year)- a kid that turns 16 in the middle of freshman year would have been 7 in kindergarten, that's no where near The range of of a typical age.
Old 04-05-17, 10:28 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
If you "do the math", you'd know she's a year old for her class which is far from uncommon. Clear ax to grind.
Old 04-05-17, 10:52 PM
All American

Then you have a very skewed typical age in your school- It is very unusual for a kid to be driving age in the middle of freshman year, graduating at 19 and change and turning 7 halfway through kindergarten. It you can't see that then maybe you are surrounded in AAU world of grade manipulation so much you don't know what the real world looks like.

I really don't understand your venom at me- I was very respectful of the young lady, no bashing of any kind- just praise and congratulations for the winner.
Old 04-06-17, 10:35 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
If you "do the math", you'd know she's a year old for her class which is far from uncommon. Clear ax to grind.
If you do the Math, once you've said it doesn't matter (as you have) then you don't care if someone else says it's one or two or five years, yet your butt is hurt about it. It's your axe that appears dull, keep grinding. And yeah, it's 15. But to you it shouldn't matter so why the histrionics?

Way I see it, a 17 year old won an award normally won by 17-18 year olds. She might not have had to do it while taking Sr classes and college tests and all the other distractions but she still won it. It doesn't put her into a special category of "Sophomores" that have won it, but she still won it.
Old 04-07-17, 11:04 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
There is a HUGE difference between one year (common) and anything else you listed. You all can keep trying to detract from the accomplishment, it just shows your character not hers.
Old 04-07-17, 11:29 PM
All American

Maybe you are misunderstanding- The list is what the player that won would have been at those times Based on turning 17 in the middle of sophomore year- so yes it is a HUGE difference and not common at all.
Old 04-09-17, 10:59 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Thank you for proving my point... have a great spring/summer