Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-23-17, 03:07 PM
oldbwalum oldbwalum is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 07-05-07
Posts: 82
oldbwalum is on a distinguished road
Ms. Basketball??

Up in Northeast Ohio - it has to be Dee Bekelja from Solon. Best player on a loaded team playing the toughest schedule.

Thoughts??
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-23-17, 11:13 PM
Kballer Kballer is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-03-12
Posts: 1,403
Kballer is on a distinguished road
I would choose Braxtin Miller, Alter from SW Ohio. Even against top competition (team often plays up in D1) she shines and is consistent. Others may have better stats but she is truly special and has been her entire career.

Last edited by Kballer; 01-24-17 at 11:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-17, 08:06 AM
BobRoss BobRoss is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 12-18-16
Posts: 17
BobRoss is on a distinguished road
Dee Bekelja is the best I have seen this year.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-24-17, 10:07 AM
America America is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-20-15
Posts: 1,373
America is on a distinguished road
Braxtin Miller from Kettering Archbishop Alter. Very talented player... can shoot well, plays great defense, high basketball IQ...Alter has been playing a daunting schedule the last several years and has come out with 28-29 wins out of 30 games. She was a great player at the Classic in the Country leading Alter to be undefeated in all their games there, and also playing a DI schedule the whole year out of league is very impressive. On her way hopefully to leading Alter to state for the 4th year in a row... You can't beat that resume. Great coaching staff and other teammates have helped her become the fine player she is.

Last edited by America; 01-25-17 at 10:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-24-17, 12:53 PM
Hoban2019 Hoban2019 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-03-15
Posts: 418
Hoban2019 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
Braxton Miller from Kettering Archbishop Alter. Very talented player...
If OHSAA doesn't come down hard on this violation, I will lose all faith in them. To think an active wide receiver in the NFL and former college quarterback can come back to play high school basketball and get away with it. And on a girls team no less!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-24-17, 03:30 PM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,552
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoban2019 View Post
If OHSAA doesn't come down hard on this violation, I will lose all faith in them. To think an active wide receiver in the NFL and former college quarterback can come back to play high school basketball and get away with it. And on a girls team no less!
And 24 years old!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-17, 12:46 PM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,596
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRoss View Post
Dee Bekelja is the best I have seen this year.
Dee Bekelja has got a real shot at winning Ms. Basketball.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-26-17, 02:02 AM
Yellow_Jacket06 Yellow_Jacket06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: The Hive
Posts: 29,904
Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Won't happen because this award is more about being the best player on a top team regardless of stats but I'll give her a mention anyway.

Celena Taborn (Sidney) - 25 PPG - 12 REB - 4 BLK

Leads the GWOC in each category. 40+ in three games this season.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-26-17, 06:34 PM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,552
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Jacket06 View Post
Won't happen because this award is more about being the best player on a top team regardless of stats but I'll give her a mention anyway.

Celena Taborn (Sidney) - 25 PPG - 12 REB - 4 BLK

Leads the GWOC in each category. 40+ in three games this season.
Nice article in today's Dayton Daily News on Celena Taborn. At 6'3", she's nearly an unstoppable inside force.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-31-17, 08:37 AM
thought-i-told-u thought-i-told-u is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-22-10
Posts: 761
thought-i-told-u is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Jacket06 View Post
Won't happen because this award is more about being the best player on a top team regardless of stats but I'll give her a mention anyway.

Celena Taborn (Sidney) - 25 PPG - 12 REB - 4 BLK

Leads the GWOC in each category. 40+ in three games this season.
LOL, it ALWAYS comes back to something in Sydney! She is good though, jope she picks up some better offers than the one she has.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-31-17, 05:30 PM
Yellow_Jacket06 Yellow_Jacket06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: The Hive
Posts: 29,904
Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Quote:
Originally Posted by thought-i-told-u View Post
LOL, it ALWAYS comes back to something in Sydney! She is good though, jope she picks up some better offers than the one she has.
Sidney. This isn't Australia. Don't quite know what you mean by 'always'. Pretty sure the majority of people on Yappi have at least one school they follow. You don't see me posting about the Jackets dominance in boys bowling do you?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-02-17, 02:03 PM
Perk Diggler Perk Diggler is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-30-14
Posts: 288
Perk Diggler is on a distinguished road
...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thought-i-told-u View Post
LOL, it ALWAYS comes back to something in Sydney! She is good though, jope she picks up some better offers than the one she has.
Where is her lone offer from??
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-02-17, 11:36 PM
Yellow_Jacket06 Yellow_Jacket06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: The Hive
Posts: 29,904
Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perk Diggler View Post
Where is her lone offer from??
Longwood University (Farmville, VA)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-03-17, 05:53 PM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,552
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Jacket06 View Post
Longwood University (Farmville, VA)
I had to look up Longwood University. It's a D1 school in The Big South Conference. Unless she's already committed, I would think she'll get more offers...she's having a monster year.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-04-17, 11:52 AM
MCGal MCGal is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-21-01
Posts: 37,829
MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
Bekelja's likely a front-runner from NEO

Others in this region would be Kierstan Bell from McK with the season/stats she's put up for McKinley and Naz Hillmon from Gilmour

This award's always tough because of the way the player is chosen. You usually have to have the stats and yes team success is a big part of it. Intangibles aren't necessarily taken into account.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-04-17, 02:33 PM
Yellow_Jacket06 Yellow_Jacket06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: The Hive
Posts: 29,904
Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
I had to look up Longwood University. It's a D1 school in The Big South Conference. Unless she's already committed, I would think she'll get more offers...she's having a monster year.
Just dropped her fifth 40+ point game this season today. She is 72 points away from the Sidney single season record and 77 points away from the career school record.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-04-17, 03:13 PM
JM92 JM92 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-30-13
Location: Louisville, OH
Posts: 412
JM92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Jacket06 View Post
Just dropped her fifth 40+ point game this season today. She is 72 points away from the Sidney single season record and 77 points away from the career school record.

That's impressive.. talk about carrying that team on your shoulders.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-04-17, 10:54 PM
Kballer Kballer is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-03-12
Posts: 1,403
Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
Bekelja's likely a front-runner from NEO

Others in this region would be Kierstan Bell from McK with the season/stats she's put up for McKinley and Naz Hillmon from Gilmour

This award's always tough because of the way the player is chosen. You usually have to have the stats and yes team success is a big part of it. Intangibles aren't necessarily taken into account.
That's why I think the nod will go to Braxtin Miller- 3 state finals with 2 championships. 3 losses (by a total of less than a dozen points) in 3 years- to top ranked D1 teams with a tough schedule every year. Perfect season in 2015- record setting scoring. Really impressive player her entire high school career.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-06-17, 11:32 AM
Perk Diggler Perk Diggler is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-30-14
Posts: 288
Perk Diggler is on a distinguished road
If Braxtin get's it would be hard to argue against her.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-07-17, 12:01 PM
kmac57 kmac57 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-05-13
Posts: 582
kmac57 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoban2019 View Post
If OHSAA doesn't come down hard on this violation, I will lose all faith in them. To think an active wide receiver in the NFL and former college quarterback can come back to play high school basketball and get away with it. And on a girls team no less!
LOL made me chuckle. Braxtin sometimes plays like a NFL athlete such a skilled player, so much fun to watch. Alter girls team is lucky they have 2 of the best guards in the state in Braxtin & Libby Bazcelak. Hope they make another run to state.

Last edited by kmac57; 02-11-17 at 04:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-09-17, 03:54 PM
thought-i-told-u thought-i-told-u is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-22-10
Posts: 761
thought-i-told-u is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Jacket06 View Post
Sidney. This isn't Australia. Don't quite know what you mean by 'always'. Pretty sure the majority of people on Yappi have at least one school they follow. You don't see me posting about the Jackets dominance in boys bowling do you?
LOL,but SIDNEY isnt a school that gets any ink so excuse me for spelling it wrong ONLY time i see ANYTHING about your school its from ONLY you, glad youre dedicated Why would you comment about anything on SIDNEY sports???? You guys suck. But best of luck to the girl with more offers to come for sure
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-09-17, 03:55 PM
thought-i-told-u thought-i-told-u is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-22-10
Posts: 761
thought-i-told-u is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
That's why I think the nod will go to Braxtin Miller- 3 state finals with 2 championships. 3 losses (by a total of less than a dozen points) in 3 years- to top ranked D1 teams with a tough schedule every year. Perfect season in 2015- record setting scoring. Really impressive player her entire high school career.
Doubty they give it to her even though she one of best in State, remember she didnt even make ALL-STATE last yr , just honarable mention
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-09-17, 06:48 PM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,552
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thought-i-told-u View Post
Doubty they give it to her even though she one of best in State, remember she didnt even make ALL-STATE last yr , just honarable mention
Your memory is correct. An inexcusable omission by the completely clueless AP voters. Braxtin Miller didn't make 1st, 2nd or even 3rd team D2 All-State. Heck, she didn't even make Special Mention. Only Honorable Mention. The AP voters felt at least 48 players in D2 alone were better than Braxtin...they probably felt hundreds were better considering all four divisions.

She's the best player (apologies to Libby Bazelak) on the best D2 team in the state, three years in a row. 33 points and 10 rebounds in last year's state championship game. Shameful snub...it doesn't get any worse than that.

But what do I know compared to the AP experts?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-10-17, 01:01 PM
GREENDAY GREENDAY is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-10-07
Posts: 151
GREENDAY is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have a complete list of AP voters for district and state awards? What about newspapers and media outlets represented?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-10-17, 09:45 PM
Kballer Kballer is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-03-12
Posts: 1,403
Kballer is on a distinguished road
The voting for Ms. Basketball is done prior to the State tournament, correct?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-10-17, 11:39 PM
warriors378 warriors378 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-23-07
Posts: 2,223
warriors378 is on a distinguished road
Can't argue if Miller is rewarded with Ms. Basketball. I do think Bekelja, Bell, and Hillmon would be in consideration from Northeast Ohio like McGal said.

I think that the one I will mention is not in the running for Ms. Basketball this year, but may be next year or the year after that, is Youngstown Ursuline's Dayshanette Harris. Already recorded her 1000th point and she's still a sophomore. I know Bell is close to joining the 1000 point club, if not already. Definitely a lot of young talent in Northeast Ohio and around the state when referencing girls basketball.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-11-17, 12:08 AM
JM92 JM92 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-30-13
Location: Louisville, OH
Posts: 412
JM92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriors378 View Post
Can't argue if Miller is rewarded with Ms. Basketball. I do think Bekelja, Bell, and Hillmon would be in consideration from Northeast Ohio like McGal said.

I think that the one I will mention is not in the running for Ms. Basketball this year, but may be next year or the year after that, is Youngstown Ursuline's Dayshanette Harris. Already recorded her 1000th point and she's still a sophomore. I know Bell is close to joining the 1000 point club, if not already. Definitely a lot of young talent in Northeast Ohio and around the state when referencing girls basketball.

Bell did indeed hit her 1000th pt a game or 2 ago..
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-11-17, 12:12 AM
JM92 JM92 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-30-13
Location: Louisville, OH
Posts: 412
JM92 is on a distinguished road
I really can't say who will win that honor this year; AP is really wonky.. it could be any of these people mentioned or not.. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-11-17, 02:05 PM
Yellow_Jacket06 Yellow_Jacket06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: The Hive
Posts: 29,904
Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Quote:
Originally Posted by thought-i-told-u View Post
LOL,but SIDNEY isnt a school that gets any ink so excuse me for spelling it wrong ONLY time i see ANYTHING about your school its from ONLY you, glad youre dedicated Why would you comment about anything on SIDNEY sports???? You guys suck. But best of luck to the girl with more offers to come for sure
Classy, too bad it's all low. Crawl back into your cave troll.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-13-17, 12:38 PM
GREENDAY GREENDAY is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-10-07
Posts: 151
GREENDAY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriors378 View Post
Can't argue if Miller is rewarded with Ms. Basketball. I do think Bekelja, Bell, and Hillmon would be in consideration from Northeast Ohio like McGal said.

I think that the one I will mention is not in the running for Ms. Basketball this year, but may be next year or the year after that, is Youngstown Ursuline's Dayshanette Harris. Already recorded her 1000th point and she's still a sophomore. I know Bell is close to joining the 1000 point club, if not already. Definitely a lot of young talent in Northeast Ohio and around the state when referencing girls basketball.
Dayshanette Harris won't even get Northeast-Inland District Player of the Year for Division III. Her team is hovering around .500. She is a very talented player but I have talked to a lot of people around the Ursuline program who say she plays no D and does not make her teammates better at all.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Competitive Balance Referendum Passes Yappi Football 441 09-16-16 02:16 PM
US Soccer making a bold move... coachg Girls Soccer 30 01-22-16 04:51 PM
Will the MAC sweep the lower three divisions again? BlueJayFan Football 104 12-05-15 06:55 PM
2014-15 NFHS Basketball Rules Book and Basketball Case Book (Kindle eBooks) Yappi Boys Basketball 0 05-29-15 01:32 PM
2014-15 NFHS Basketball Rules Book and Basketball Case Book (Kindle eBooks) Yappi Girls Basketball 0 05-29-15 01:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz