Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-27-17, 12:07 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
Regional Semi-finals will be (#1 seed in parenthesis):

Euclid vs. Canton (Solon, GlenOak)
Perry vs. Akron (Mentor, McKinley)

http://brackets.myohsaa.org/regional...ts=17831&not=4
Solon shouldn't have too much trouble reaching the regionals, though Twinsburg coach Julie Solis will have her girls playing their best.

But it's going to get much tougher when the Comets reach Canton. First game, it's GlenOak, Hoover or Jackson. Win that, and it's Stow or McKinley. If the Comets make it to state, they'll earn it the hard way.
Old 02-27-17, 12:10 PM
All Yappi

Tonight, the Comets face Aurora in the district opener at Euclid. Game time is 6 p.m. Shaker Heights and Twinsburg face off in Game 2 tonight.
Old 02-27-17, 07:27 PM
All Region

denbigfish is on a distinguished road
69-29 final. Dee with first 10, 18 for the half and 24 for the game.
Old 02-27-17, 08:08 PM
All Region

Euclid 43 Brush 42 final.
Old 02-27-17, 08:27 PM
All Region

Twinsburg 22 Shaker 15 at the half.
Old 02-27-17, 09:25 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by denbigfish View Post
Twinsburg 22 Shaker 15 at the half.
Knotted at 29 to start the fourth, Twinsburg pulls ahead 41-35 with 2 minutes left.
Twinsburg gets the win at 47-38 to earn the right to take on Solon this Thursday at Euclid.

Mentor topped Eastlake North 55-46 to play Euclid. should be a good one.

Last edited by denbigfish; 02-28-17 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-01-17, 08:26 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
So the big game is tomorrow night between Solon and Twinsburg.

I wonder if Twinsburg will avenge their earlier loss from last year, or if Solon will make a repeat trip to the regionals.
Old 03-02-17, 03:26 PM
All Region

Tonight's Final With Twinsburg and Solon

Should be a fun game. On paper, I would expect a low scoring affair as Twinsburg is going to try everything to slow Solon down.

This is where I give Coach Kruse a lot of credit. Rotating players in each every game allows much experience to this bench of hers. If fouls get to be a problem, she is not pushing a young one out there with deer in the headlights eyes.

To win, limit the turnovers. MAKE YOUR FREE THROWS since they'll both be staunch on defense. Stover needs to step up tonight EARLY. Dee will not let this one get away from her. When she was freshman down in Columbus she did everything she could. That passion continues tonight.

Go Lady Comets! Keep us traveling to more games.
Old 03-02-17, 08:44 PM
All Region

Solon wins 51-47. What a game. Details to follow.
Old 03-02-17, 08:55 PM
All Region

jimbo is on a distinguished road
Wow

Awesome job ladies!

Old 03-02-17, 09:58 PM
All Region

On to Canton !

Well the game played out as it should of - hard fought, great defense, plenty of bodies on the floor and again superb coaching by both Solis and Kruse.

Score by quarters - Twinsburg led 16-4 after one; up 30 - 22 at the half; solon gets first lead of game with 30 seconds left in the third and the Tigers tie it at 37 going in to the fourth. Solon wins 51 - 47 and had held Twinsburg to just 3 points with just 30 seconds to play and up by 11. Tigers mount a scrambling comeback before time ran out.

Kudos to both squads for an entertaining and physical hard fought battle.

Lady Comets 12 of 19 from the line and Twinsburg 9 of 12. Turnovers 12 for Solon and the Tigers 14.

Dee led all scorers with 18 and 11 of those in the second half. Valencia with 13 with 5 of 8 from the line.

Modkins with 2 killer 3's in the second half - the only ones for Solon on the day. Momentum definitely shifted when she hit those.

Tip of the hat to Sophomore Rian Dortch #4. Huge rebounds and a nice put back during the rally recovery. This kid will be a huge piece to be helping down low the remainder of this year and the next two.

Now it's on the Canton for Tuesday tilt.

Congrats to the Tigers and especially Coach Solis for getting every ounce of effort from her players year in and year out. Still my vote for the best Ladies basketball Coach in the State of Ohio.
Old 03-02-17, 11:01 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
I was there at the game as well. It was a very entertaining game on both sides. Twinsburg is gonna be really good next season.
Old 03-02-17, 11:15 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
Twinsburg graduates a big class of kids...
Old 03-02-17, 11:53 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Solon better play better or get out soon
Old 03-03-17, 04:27 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Solon better play better or get out soon
Let's see....McKinley by 1 with a super clutch 3 at the end of the game, Hoover by one, Euclid by 3 over Mentor and Solon by 4

Since you weren't there and only going by the score, they'll be ready.

It was a great team test for the now 23-2 Lady Comets. The bench and the starters play intense team basketball. Teams and coaches don't just walk in to these brackets at this point. They all earn it. And learn from it.

On to Canton.

Last edited by denbigfish; 03-03-17 at 05:20 AM.
Old 03-03-17, 05:20 AM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
I, would love to see a regional final rematch between the Lady Pups and the Comets(who have not loss to an Ohio team this year). But, that won't be an easy task for either team to get past Euclid or Hoover. I, have seen Euclid and McKinley several times this season. This could be a barn burner. I, have also seen Solon play twice, they have three outstanding players,in Vee,Dee, and the big guard. I, don't know much about Hoover. But, coming out of the Federal League you have to be battle tested.

Last edited by cvctrackfan; 03-03-17 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-05-17, 07:21 AM
All Region

Hoover Team?

Have not followed anything with their (Hoover) squad but know they earned their trip to Canton and play in one of the toughest leagues around.

On the Solon side, our two seniors (Bekelja & Stover) probably recall the 2014 loss since they both played in that game as freshman.

Can't dig a hole like Thursday against Twinsburg and expect to win.

So Federal League followers, any stuff you can share would be appreciated. I look forward to seeing two great games Tuesday night and sleeping in on Wednesday.
Old 03-05-17, 08:36 AM
All World

ccrunner4815 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Have not followed anything with their (Hoover) squad but know they earned their trip to Canton and play in one of the toughest leagues around.

On the Solon side, our two seniors (Bekelja & Stover) probably recall the 2014 loss since they both played in that game as freshman.

Can't dig a hole like Thursday against Twinsburg and expect to win.

So Federal League followers, any stuff you can share would be appreciated. I look forward to seeing two great games Tuesday night and sleeping in on Wednesday.
Take some time to read the Federal League thread.
Old 03-05-17, 09:16 AM
All Region

Read through the handful of scores. Was more curious if someone had a take on their players and who to watch for. Sure they're well coached to come up with that huge win over Glen Oak after losing twice to them in regular season.

McGal, always appreciate your insight. Jump in if you would be so kind.

Am looking forward to a great game regardless Tuesday. Go Lady Comets!
Old 03-05-17, 10:27 AM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
Hoover is a very good team. All man to man on defense. The 3 guards can shoot the 3pt very very well. The big problem is neither of the 2 bench players can shoot from outside 10 feet and have some trouble with pressure. But they are both good at applying pressure.
Hoover only really plays 7 girls, but they all play hard and rebound very well. Hoover is very good rebounding team. Blyer is going to Ashland, Draybeck is going to I think Easter Michigan (someone correct me if I'm wrong, just like my wife does. Lol).
I don't know much about Solon but they better be ready for some Great Man to Man defense. I heard Solon only plays man to man which is a plus for Hoover.
Is Hoover the late game or early game. Hoping for an all Federal League final. Good Luck All!!!
Old 03-05-17, 10:39 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsupDoc View Post
Hoover is a very good team. All man to man on defense. The 3 guards can shoot the 3pt very very well. The big problem is neither of the 2 bench players can shoot from outside 10 feet and have some trouble with pressure. But they are both good at applying pressure.
Hoover only really plays 7 girls, but they all play hard and rebound very well. Hoover is very good rebounding team. Blyer is going to Ashland, Draybeck is going to I think Easter Michigan (someone correct me if I'm wrong, just like my wife does. Lol).
I don't know much about Solon but they better be ready for some Great Man to Man defense. I heard Solon only plays man to man which is a plus for Hoover.
Is Hoover the late game or early game. Hoping for an all Federal League final. Good Luck All!!!
Thank you for the input.

Hoover/Solon is the late game.

Solon has been playing 8 to 9 a game all season and Coach Kruse does her share of rotating. I do recall Solon going zone when they needed to but does their share of switching when going to man to man as needed. Guess we'll see this Tuesday.

Thanks again.
Old 03-06-17, 06:47 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Hoover will have a significant size advantage whenever Solon goes to their bench. Hoover's bigs are strong enough to do a decent job on Myers imho. Key will be the Bekelja/Hoover defender match-up. Typically Alexis Green has drawn that match-up for Hoover but Blyer is Bekelja's aau teammate so who could know her better? Should be a fun game. Solon has to be favored but Hoover is more than capable of winning.
Old 03-06-17, 08:19 PM
All Region

JM92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
Hoover will have a significant size advantage whenever Solon goes to their bench. Hoover's bigs are strong enough to do a decent job on Myers imho. Key will be the Bekelja/Hoover defender match-up. Typically Alexis Green has drawn that match-up for Hoover but Blyer is Bekelja's aau teammate so who could know her better? Should be a fun game. Solon has to be favored but Hoover is more than capable of winning.

Looking forward to seeing Blyer at Ashland next year..hopefully she will get a chance to shine. She will definitely have to work hard for a starting spot. More than likely Renee Stimpert and Maddie Dackin will replace Peare and Henning on the starting lineup.. they have been beasts off the bench this year. And Jodi Johnson.. made an almost flawless transition from HS to college ball.. great year!
Old 03-07-17, 07:25 AM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
Good luck to both teams...

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/2017...treaking-solon

For the fans that can't make it to the game, WHBC will be streaming it....stream #2

http://www.whbc.com/basketball-season-begins/
Old 03-07-17, 09:42 PM
Success is Tradition!

Congrats to Solon....very much so enjoyed listening to the game.
Old 03-07-17, 11:06 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM92 View Post
Looking forward to seeing Blyer at Ashland next year..hopefully she will get a chance to shine. She will definitely have to work hard for a starting spot. More than likely Renee Stimpert and Maddie Dackin will replace Peare and Henning on the starting lineup.. they have been beasts off the bench this year. And Jodi Johnson.. made an almost flawless transition from HS to college ball.. great year!
I doubt she even cares about starting... Ashland plays a big rotation. Blyer and Pireu will both be involved early imho.
Old 03-07-17, 11:11 PM
All Region

What a game....

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
Congrats to Solon....very much so enjoyed listening to the game.
It had to be something to listen to but truly incredible to be right there.

Either team could have won. Neither team deserved to lose. Congrats to both for a see saw battle. Would love to see how many lead changes there were.

Here's what I kept tally on: after one, Hoover up 14-13; at the half, Solon up 29-27; after three, knotted at 46; final Solon pulls it off 66-60.

Turovers I had Solon with 9 in the first half and just 4 in the second - made a difference for them. Hoover 9 also in the first half but 7 in the second did not help their cause. Canton paper said they had 22 for the game...hmm.

Solon 8 of 10 from the line with 6 down the stretch that were huge. Hoover 13 of 20 and some critical one and one misses at the end. Make those, then you have a different ending.

Dee with 10 in the first half and 19 gritty points in the second half. 2 free throws to ice it with 4 seconds left.

Modkins with 4 big free throws in the fourth quarter. Only points of the game.

Sophomore Rian Dortch (#4) was a force underneath with 10 points on big put back baskets and 6 of those in the second half. With Valencia in foul trouble throughout the game, Rian stepped in and stepped up. Ultimately Valencia fouled out with a few minutes left. Rian took over from there. At 5'9" makes it up with determination.

Hoover is truly a fantastic squad of girls and that Maddie Blyer has quite a future. Going down in the second half that looked like a major injury, she sacked right up and got back out there. That 3 with a couple of minutes left was a big time shot. Nothing but net.

Well, back at it Friday Lady Comets. Can you answer 'the Bell'? What a ball game she played in the opener against Euclid. One person wrecking crew.

See you all Friday at 7:30. Something tells me the place will be rockin!

Last edited by denbigfish; 03-08-17 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-08-17, 07:20 AM
Success is Tradition!

Quote:
...Would love to see how many lead changes there were.

Well, back at it Friday Lady Comets. Can you answer 'the Bell'? What a ball game she played in the opener against Euclid. One person wrecking crew.

See you all Friday at 7:30. Something tells me the place will be rockin!
According to the Repository, there were 16 lead changes.

Sure wish I could be there Friday night!

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/2017...mets-66-60-win
Old 03-08-17, 07:40 AM
All Region

Thanks for the article feed. Curious in the paragraph where he applauds Dee for her 29 but mentions Solon was 'lucky'. I don't think luck had anything to with either team last night. Gritty, yes. Lucky, no. One of the best games I've ever attended.

Go Lady Comets. HurriComet is smiling down on you Ladies!
Old 03-08-17, 12:35 PM
All Yappi

Here's my take, which will probably echo much of denbigfish's take:

It was a great game. Hoover is an excellent team with plenty of good parts, yet the total is even better than the sum of its parts. They play very well as a unit and man, can they shoot.

It was tight all the way. I believe that Hoover once led by five in the first half. Solon's biggest lead was the final margin. But even though Hoover had the Comets on the ropes for much of the game, I felt all along that Solon would pull it out in the end. Why? Because Solon had Dee Bekelja. Once again, she was the best player on the floor, and her excellence was enough to push Solon past the Vikings. In the second half, when Solon needed her most, Dee just took over the game. We've seen it all before: driving, slashing, passing, pressing, popping threes. Dee did it all, and then some. Dee put on a performance worthy of the title "Ms. Basketball." I hope she wins it. She certainly deserves it.

As denbigfish noted, Rian Dortch was absolutely huge off the bench. She saved Solon's bacon with Valencia benched for foul trouble. Big rebounds. Big put-backs. Big defense. And always when the Comets needed it most.

I also thought that Gabby Mitchell had a great game. She bombed a couple of threes early when Hoover had the lead and Solon was reeling. Those were confidence-boosters for the team. She also played great defense on the press and chipped in with a couple of big scores in the second half.

Kyra Lance did a heckuva job off the bench. She plays her heart out on defense. At one point, in the span of about a minute-and-a-half, she forced three Viking turnovers.

I don't know how many points Valencia scored. When she got the ball in the low post, she scored. However, the foul trouble affected her defensive play. She wasn't as aggressive as usual. She didn't move her feet much. A couple of the fouls called on her were ticky-tack (a couple were legit, however), and it just sort of took her out of her game.

The Blyer girl (I hope I got the name right) for Hoover was an absolute warrior: shooting, driving, diving after loose balls; she was the Vikings' heart and soul. And to see her come back and play so well after the injury, you've got to admire a kid like that. I was also really impressed by #31, who grabbed tough rebounds and made clutch shots all night.

The McKinley game should be a great matchup. Kiersten Bell for McK is a future Ms. Basketball candidate, if she isn't one already. She's got Dee Bekelja's skills and Alexis Stover's size.

Winner goes to state. Solon hasn't lost to an Ohio team all year. Can the Comets earn a Columbus trip for the third straight year?