Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-04-17, 08:47 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Not something umpires get involved with, however, below is what is prescribed in the NFHS Rule Book.

If a game ends for whatever reason, having gone less than seven innings,
then the starting pitcher shall have pitched three or more consecutive innings to be declared the winning pitcher. If the starting pitcher cannot be declared the winning pitcher, and more than one relief pitcher is used, the winning pitcher shall be determined using the following criteria:

1. If the score is tied, it results in the game becoming a new contest so far as judging who is the winning and losing pitcher.

2. If the starting pitcher is removed before having pitched four or more
innings and his team is ahead, the official scorer shall determine the
winning pitcher to be the relief pitcher who has been the most effective.

3. If the opposition goes ahead, pitchers up to that time in the game cannot be credited with the win. However, if the pitcher pitching subsequently takes and maintains a lead the remainder of the game, said pitcher is credited with the win.

4. Generally the relief pitcher credited with the win is the pitcher when his
team takes the lead and holds it for the rest of the game. However, if the relief pitcher pitches only a short while or not effectively and a succeeding relief pitcher replaces him and does better work in keeping the lead, the latter shall be granted the win.
Old 04-04-17, 12:43 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Batter (right handed) hits a chopper in front of the plate and kicks the ball while running to first. I assume if he's in the batter's box it's a foul ball while if he's out of the box it's an out.

If that assumption is correct, how is it determined whether or not he's in the box? Or is it where the ball is located when it is touched?
Old 04-04-17, 08:58 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Batter (right handed) hits a chopper in front of the plate and kicks the ball while running to first. I assume if he's in the batter's box it's a foul ball while if he's out of the box it's an out.

If that assumption is correct, how is it determined whether or not he's in the box? Or is it where the ball is located when it is touched?
If any part of the batter-runner is touching the batter's box, he's considered to be still in the box. (provided he did not leave the box first)
Old 04-08-17, 12:35 AM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road

57:15 Right call?

Please disregard the horribly annoying student broadcasting.
Old 04-08-17, 07:32 AM
All World

At first look, I agree with the out call.

No way to tell for sure from this angle if #4 from the defense obstructed the runner.
Old 04-18-17, 12:36 PM
All Ohio

AnUnbiasedOpinion is on a distinguished road
Unless you have malicious contact (which was not indicated - the base umpire waited until the catcher tagged the runner to make the call), then it should've been ruled obstruction.

I don't see enough for malicious contact either and the fielder definitely hinders the runner. Obstruction. Runner is awarded home.

That said, that play is very difficult in real time without the aid of video replay...
Old 04-18-17, 09:22 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
So an inning begins, fly out, single, pop out, short single to right. Runners on 1st and 2nd, 2 out.

The fifth batter of the inning strikes out swinging, but the ball is dropped. It is then picked up by the catcher and launched over the 1st baseman's head. The runner from 2nd scores, the runner from 1st makes 3rd, and the 5th batter is safe at 1st.

The 6th batter doubles and clears the bases.

7th batter has a little infield single. 1st and 3rd again.

8th batter reaches on an infield error, runner from 3rd scores. Runners on 1st and 2nd.

9th batter grounds into FC, force at 2nd. Inning mercifully over. 4 runs in total.

How many of those 4 runs were earned ?
Old 04-19-17, 05:03 AM
All Region

fortfan is on a distinguished road
I would say zero.

5th batter would have been 3rd out if not for error on catcher.
Old 04-19-17, 05:31 AM
All Yappi

I guess that was more a "question for the Official Scorer".

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortfan View Post
I would say zero.

5th batter would have been 3rd out if not for error on catcher.
That was my thought as well.

I've seen the distinction made for a "battery error", and subsequently a dropped 3rd strike as a simple passed ball did not go toward the team error total. Due to that, I was uncertain about earned/unearned status. The inning certainly would have been over, though. No doubts there.

In this particular case, there was also an errant throw to 1st. That throw was likely responsible for the scoring by the runner from second - even with a two out lead-off. That particular pitcher always covers the plate, and the ball did not get that far anyway.
Old 04-19-17, 08:28 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I guess that was more a "question for the Official Scorer".

That was my thought as well.

I've seen the distinction made for a "battery error", and subsequently a dropped 3rd strike as a simple passed ball did not go toward the team error total. Due to that, I was uncertain about earned/unearned status. The inning certainly would have been over, though. No doubts there.

In this particular case, there was also an errant throw to 1st. That throw was likely responsible for the scoring by the runner from second - even with a two out lead-off. That particular pitcher always covers the plate, and the ball did not get that far anyway.
Not something that umpires get involved with or even get tested on, but if a run is scored due to a passed ball, it is an unearned run. If the run scored due to a wild pitch, then the run is earned.

In the case above since you have a PB followed by an E2 on the throw, all the runs are recorded as unearned.
Old 04-19-17, 09:01 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Not something that umpires get involved with or even get tested on, but if a run is scored due to a passed ball, it is an unearned run. If the run scored due to a wild pitch, then the run is earned.

In the case above since you have a PB followed by an E2 on the throw, all the runs are recorded as unearned.
This was a curve in the dirt that would likely have been a called strike anyway, but is it even possible by rule to score a third strike as a wild pitch if the batter swings at it ? Say a high "chase" FB gets above the catcher's mitt and misses the umpire ?
Old 04-19-17, 09:26 AM
All World

The swing is irrelevant.

Where the pitch is will determine whether or not it is a PB or WP. Typically, if it's down, it's going to be a wild pitch. If the catcher has to jump up for it, it's going to be a WP.