Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-21-17, 12:12 PM
Freshman

Capcityfball is on a distinguished road
This goes right along with what I heard, everyone with experience said no way, speaks volumes that this is an interim hire. Not easy for Ullery or any coach but at least he gets his chance to force them to remove that tag, that's huge for an assistant with no experience of true responsibility. If it does open back up, according to coaches the job won't be attractive until the people running the district change or wake up.

But if this senior class is as talented as people say he should get Centerville back to where they expect to be for at least one season especially with his Coffman background which means solid regular season and early playoff exit.
Old 04-21-17, 01:03 PM
Voice of Reason

elkfan is on a distinguished road
Coach Puckett right now https://i.imgur.com/Xpo01Q4.mp4
Old 04-21-17, 04:23 PM
All American

unbiased1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not sure what you mean by bitching comment? New Elk, Old Elk, I have not heard one single person confuse or argue the lack of physical or mental toughness since the loss to Lakota West in the playoffs 3 years ago.

I don't know who was more qualified, but the truth is the entire staff and players need to get a lot better. I hope they can all work together and spend 99% of the time on discipline & toughness. That alone will win 8 games on their schedule......it did for 40 years. If he can throw on some creative play calls/schemes, then maybe a 9 win season is possible.

QUOTE=HSFootballFan1972;6753949]Lets hope not. Puckett is a true competitor and embodies everything that the history of Elk football is.

I imagine that Dumbent decided to go with Ullery since it satisfies all the "old line" football guys bitching about how tough the program used to be blended with the new passing offense (remember - Ullery called all plays and essentially was HC of the JV guys), he wasn't only a WR coach.

I think it could have gone either way, (Puckett or Ullery) but Dumbent is such a panty waste that he took the safe route.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-21-17, 05:12 PM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm conflicted as I would like to have seen the AD go after a Cincinnati GCL OC or DC. I don't believe coaches were turning down the opportunity to apply for the Centerville job. The interim tag is not a vote of confidence either. I don't know anything about Brent other than he worked hard to earn a spot at OSU and is probably a very focused individual. It will be interesting as to who he hires to help support him, but then again, the interim tag will probably keep key coaches away as they may be looking for a new job after the one year is up.
Old 04-21-17, 05:27 PM
Junior Varsity

Bobcatlover is on a distinguished road
Believe it. Numerous posts on this thread have stated it and I've heard the same from those in the coaching circles. The leaders of that school are no longer thought of like they once were.
Old 04-21-17, 06:53 PM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcatlover View Post
Believe it. Numerous posts on this thread have stated it and I've heard the same from those in the coaching circles. The leaders of that school are no longer thought of like they once were.
If what you're saying is true, that's a shame!
Old 04-21-17, 07:53 PM
Varsity

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=unbiased1;6753958]I have not heard one single person confuse or argue the lack of physical or mental toughness since the loss to Lakota West in the playoffs 3 years ago.

Centerville doesn't lack discipline or toughness, we lack size on the OL & DL. Back in the day, the Elks were sending 2-3 OL/DL to D1 each year.
Last year, we played 6 playoff teams (5 were losses). Two years ago, we played 5 playoff teams (4 were losses). OL/DL the last 2 years have been the weakest part of the team. Until Elks get bigger in the trenches, we will continue to struggle.

Elks will finish 7-3 or 8-2 this year with a grown-up DL, QB, & WRs coming back.

Last edited by ELK Strong; 04-21-17 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 10:20 PM
All World

UcantCatchMe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBGuy View Post
Our point total last year would have had us as the two seed in D1 region 4 last year.
An you would of played sycamore.... Same result as usual.
Old 04-21-17, 10:23 PM
All World

[QUOTE=ELK Strong;6754003]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiased1 View Post
I have not heard one single person confuse or argue the lack of physical or mental toughness since the loss to Lakota West in the playoffs 3 years ago.

Centerville doesn't lack discipline or toughness, we lack size on the OL & DL. Back in the day, the Elks were sending 2-3 OL/DL to D1 each year.
Last year, we played 6 playoff teams (5 were losses). Two years ago, we played 5 playoff teams (4 were losses). OL/DL the last 2 years have been the weakest part of the team. Until Elks get bigger in the trenches, we will continue to struggle.

Elks will finish 7-3 or 8-2 this year with a grown-up DL, QB, & WRs coming back.

Lol
Old 04-22-17, 12:24 AM
Varsity

[QUOTE=UcantCatchMe;6754041]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
[/B][/I]

Lol
What is so funny?
Old 04-22-17, 10:50 AM
Varsity

[QUOTE=Killer Joe;6754097]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSFootballFan1972 View Post

Proven right, have you seen the team over the least couple of years? They are on a downward trend, not an upward one. If they are as good as Centerville people claim they are and have all this talent coming back, they would have gotten a lot better coaching prospects than the ones that interviewed. It is not only a school administration issue, but a talent one also...
KJ - Records of 6-4 & 5-5 with 11 of 20 games vs. playoffs is disappointing, but definitely respectable considering our bad defense. Projecting 7-3 or 8-2 this year is not unreasonable with a strong SR class (only a 2-3 game improvement). Good QB & WRs and 2 D1 DLs as Seniors. Do me a favor and save this post so we can touch base at the end of the season.
Old 04-23-17, 07:32 PM
Varsity

Harambe is on a distinguished road
Roberts didn't understand what the tradition of Centerville Football was/is, hopefully these next couple of years these kids get back to hard nose football. The talent is thin until the 8th graders with the next Harrison come up. Hopefully Ullery can make Centerville great again or he will have the same fate as his father.
Old 04-24-17, 12:03 PM
All Yappi

FBGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harambe View Post
Roberts didn't understand what the tradition of Centerville Football was/is, hopefully these next couple of years these kids get back to hard nose football. The talent is thin until the 8th graders with the next Harrison come up. Hopefully Ullery can make Centerville great again or he will have the same fate as his father.
This made me laugh. You know who knew the tradition of Centerville football? Ron Ullery knew it. He went 8-2 and Centerville let him go. He coached tough, hard nosed football and Centerville people complained about it. The wanted to throw the ball. They wanted an offense like the GCL teams.

Well, they got everything they asked for.

Now Centerville wants back everything that HAD.
Old 04-24-17, 12:15 PM
All Region

HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This made me laugh. You know who knew the tradition of Centerville football? Ron Ullery knew it. He went 8-2 and Centerville let him go. He coached tough, hard nosed football and Centerville people complained about it. The wanted to throw the ball. They wanted an offense like the GCL teams.

This is scathing and from my outside perspective and some inside information over the years....100% true.
Old 04-24-17, 01:28 PM
All Region

lebanonwarriors4ever is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lebanon made the DI playoffs last year. You should go to some of the games if you get a chance.
Making the playoffs when you are LAST place in the West isn't impressive. The last time Lebanon was GWOC South champs was the 2011-2012 season when they shared it with Fairborn. I was at the Kings, Boro, Burg , and the Sycamore smack down. If you come in last place in your league and make the playoffs, there is something wrong. Moe didn't make it but I can assure you they would have smacked Lebanon. Lebanon beat the worst Centerville team I have ever seen . It isn't that teams are getting better, Centerville was just awful. Burg, a D2 team won the West. Burg has been improving steadily each year.
Old 04-24-17, 01:36 PM
All Region

lebanonwarriors4ever is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
It's amazing that last year was the first time Lebanon has ever beaten Centerville in the long storied series. I know, I know, Lebanon has all the talent in the world but the coaches just don't know how to use their players. Let's be honest, the Warriors probably will never be more than a Playoff Berth and maybe one win type team as long as they're in R2. Goal should be more towards winning league.
The last time they won league was also the last time they beat Boro. It was the 2011-2012 season ( Shared with powerhouse Fairborn ). This past year they were last in the West. Let's not act like beating Centerville was an accomplishment. Centerville was a terrible team and they were missing their best player that game.
Old 04-24-17, 02:33 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

This pretty much summarizes everything as it appears from the outside looking in. Some individuals thought they knew better than what had delivered 40 years of successful results of Centerville football; the result of them getting what they wanted is that they torched everything to the ground within a few short years.
Old 04-24-17, 09:36 PM
Varsity

PantherTown is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to PantherTown
8-2 is not going to happen at Centerville next year. I heard this same stuff from Debord's dad last year. Your offensive line was the worst in many many years last year, and it is going to be worse. Your QB is adequate but he is not quick like Debord, and he is going to be under a lot of stress. You have 1 scholarship player on the team going into next year, just like last year. That is not going to get it done. Centerville had consistently 3-5 D1 studs every year going into their Sr year in the day of R Ullery. You will be competitive in your division except for Wayne. But you are definitely not going to beat any playoffs teams on your Non Conf Schedule. Another 5-5 season is coming
Old 04-25-17, 06:16 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherTown View Post
8-2 is not going to happen at Centerville next year. I heard this same stuff from Debord's dad last year. Your offensive line was the worst in many many years last year, and it is going to be worse. Your QB is adequate but he is not quick like Debord, and he is going to be under a lot of stress. You have 1 scholarship player on the team going into next year, just like last year. That is not going to get it done. Centerville had consistently 3-5 D1 studs every year going into their Sr year in the day of R Ullery. You will be competitive in your division except for Wayne. But you are definitely not going to beat any playoffs teams on your Non Conf Schedule. Another 5-5 season is coming
PT - let's keep the facts straight. I said 7-3 or 8-2. Debord's Dad was overly optimistic but we all hope for the best with our kids. On 6-12-16, I predicted a 5-5 season last year. "I see a 5-5 season with losses to Lakota West, Springfield, Springboro, Wayne and 1 more (either Fairfield, Pick North, or Lebanon). On defense, Elks lose 3 D1 players and top 4 tacklers, but DL will be better...I hope. On offense, Elks lose top 4 rushers, top 9 receivers, and 4 starting OLs."

Record of 7-3 or 8-2 this year is realistic with 2 D1 DLs (Henderson & Vance) and offensively QB & 2 WRs should be good. Spiewak & Shelton are lower level D1 or D2 skill guys. If Harmon comes back and stays healthy the entire season, Elks will go 8-2. Since he hasn't played a full year yet, I will predict 7-3 and playoffs this year for the Elks!
Old 04-25-17, 09:04 AM
All American

unbiased1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherTown View Post
Ok PT, a few problems......

First, I bet the Panthers are equal or close to the number of D1 players that the Elks have sent to college in the last 7-8 years.

Second, Ron Ullery did not have 3-5 D1 kids a year in his Senior class. There were a few years of maybe 3-4 kids combined on one team, that would include soph, jr, & sr.

Third, holy shi*! We are now judged on what crazy Dad's project for the goals of the football team? Obviously they were lucky to finish .500 or better the last 2 years.

Last, what do you think the Elks & Panthers record will be this year?
Old 04-27-17, 03:42 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
PT - let's keep the facts straight. I said 7-3 or 8-2. Debord's Dad was overly optimistic but we all hope for the best with our kids. On 6-12-16, I predicted a 5-5 season last year. "I see a 5-5 season with losses to Lakota West, Springfield, Springboro, Wayne and 1 more (either Fairfield, Pick North, or Lebanon). On defense, Elks lose 3 D1 players and top 4 tacklers, but DL will be better...I hope. On offense, Elks lose top 4 rushers, top 9 receivers, and 4 starting OLs."

Record of 7-3 or 8-2 this year is realistic with 2 D1 DLs (Henderson & Vance) and offensively QB & 2 WRs should be good. Spiewak & Shelton are lower level D1 or D2 skill guys. If Harmon comes back and stays healthy the entire season, Elks will go 8-2. Since he hasn't played a full year yet, I will predict 7-3 and playoffs this year for the Elks!
What world are you living in?? I see Henderson has a good offer sheet. Can't find a thing anywhere about Vance holding any offers. Spiewak and Shelton D-1 players? HUH??

Centerville graduated a ton and you expect them to be better with an interim head coach?!?!

Who were the 3 D-1 players from last year's team and where are they going?? I see Debord. Who are the other 2?

Are you just making things up???