Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-20-17, 11:33 AM
Junior Varsity

bsb1817 is on a distinguished road
Why has no one thought of this solution for HS baseball?

Yes, the high school season COULD benefit from starting a week later, however in no way should it ever go later.

What should happen is Ohio gets RID of the sectional tournament, and restricts which teams make it to the playoffs.

The fact is, any team that does not have a good chance at winning their section probably has 0 chance at winning their region to make it to states. This would make every playoff game more competitive, eliminating the vast number of 15+ to 0 victories as well as the majority of state championship contenders receiving a bye in the first round already.

Second, it would actually make the regular season matter, and make non conference games matter. Teams would have to learn to develop more than 2 pitchers.

Third, teams would be incentivized to play less cupcake games to get ready for the post season, as there would be 3-4 less regular season games played.

Lastly, it would not disturb the travel baseball circuit where 99% of players get seen by the schools they end up playing at. It also doesn't hurt that many players would be throwing less innings in high school ball with seasons shortened by a week, thus schools who have a history of screwing pitchers arms up would have their pitchers for less time!

Thoughts anyone?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-17, 11:37 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
So, who do those "cupcakes" play?

Action = Reaction
Old 04-20-17, 12:14 PM
Varsity

J.R. Swish is on a distinguished road
So now are you going to have a computer decide who makes the playoffs like football or some human panel decide? Part of the beauty of most high school sports is that all teams have a chance to play in tourney. Don't take that away...then as soon as a team loses a few league games what do they have to play for? What is sooooo wrong with high school baseball anyway? Yeah, I think the overall quality of play has gone down over the years but when two good pitchers are on the mound it is still fun to watch. No need to prolong the season either.....it is baseball in Ohio in April and May....some years the weather is ok and other years it stinks. It has been that way forever and we survived. Teams need to be flexible and watch the forecast and play on the days when weather allows. Pitch count rules are a good start to safeguard pitchers but 125 pitches is pretty high and 4 days for over 100 should be in place as well. Other than that play ball!!
Old 04-20-17, 01:20 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Pitch count rules are intended to protect young arms, and I get that. But, more than a few times I have seen hs starting pitchers fail to properly prepare prior to their starts, ie: proper stretching, warming up with a plan, rather than stroll down to the bullpen about ten minutes before the game, toss a few with the bullpen catcher, and then think you are ready to start the game. Don't know if that's any factor in pitching injuries, but it is more common than not for many high school pitchers. Not having a pitcher's arm properly stretched out and warm prior to slinging fastballs live also can't be good for any young arm.
Old 04-20-17, 03:26 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Maybe it's time to use pool play. Play games on Saturdays (and/or Sundays) in April to get the games in. Pool would consist of 6 teams. Play 5 pool games to determine playoff teams. Top teams get byes in the playoffs. Middle teams play first round. Bottom teams don't make the playoffs.
Old 04-20-17, 03:34 PM
All District

OEBNorthGM is on a distinguished road
i do like that idea Yappi.
wish they would do more league play on weekends...mini tourneys/round robins....let teams play non conf games during the week and give top arms chance to rest and gives coaches chance to develop more pitchers...

playing league games on weekends when no school gives you a bigger window to get a game in - rather than a 6pm weekday start with chance for rain so much in april and may....

could play 3,4 league games in a weekend - get your games in early and would have no reason to start playoffs later....

maybe a bad idea i dont know - im rambling now!
Old 04-20-17, 06:36 PM
All District

KINGOFTHEJUNGLE is on a distinguished road
I agree with Swish, it's baseball in northeast Ohio. One thing I think would help a lot is if coaches or A.D.'s would be more flexible with schedules. If you are playing a league or conference game and one teams field drains better than the other, even though you might've played there just a few days ago, go back again and play it. I know it stinks losing a home game but getting the game played should be what matters. We have a turf field here in Minerva and haven't had a rainout since we installed it but there are some teams that refuse to come off that home game. Therefore we end up playing 5 or so games a week at times. Also, we moved here from Georgia five years ago and you had to finish in the top four of your conference in order to play post season baseball. Just some thoughts.
Old 04-21-17, 07:29 AM
Varsity

Baseball4Life! is on a distinguished road
It's Ohio weather. Been played this way for decades. I would rather play 4-5 days a week and practice 1 anyhow.

In regards to the tournament just take the top half of the district. That way you keep out the teams that will be run-ruled in the first couple of games. Nothing fun about watching the 1 seed beat the 19 seed 30-0 in 4 innings.
Old 04-21-17, 12:03 PM
All Region

Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
Adding 1 week for a total of 7 would give u 4 games a week. Thats if you schedule all 27 games. I know a few coaches that leave games off the schedule for tournament time. Nothing like sitting around for a week till you next tourney game.

For the tournament I know the State is worried about rain and all but the tourney takes way too long. MWF week one, MWF week two, State games a week earlier then usually scheduled.
This makes the bye an actual commodity. We would also see who has the deeper team. The week off before the state games would insure that the Aces are rested and still make for a great weekend of baseball.
Old 04-21-17, 12:56 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Don't know how many teams in Northern Ohio who will come close to playing a 27 game season. Recent looks at records have some teams who haven't even played double digit games as of this date. Most rained non conference games will never get made up as a result. Then you have some conference teams who aren't real interested in even scheduling washed out conference games. Heard the Suburban League extended conference play one week to complete league make ups. Assuming the weather is decent these next few weeks, most teams probably looking at at least 5 games per week, which still would leave many non conference games out of the mix.
Old 04-22-17, 10:13 AM
All District

ratterbox is on a distinguished road
A major issue I have with extending the season as OHSSSA want to do is the "average player" is getting screwed. Most post talk of the "stud" not being seen by scouts and what not, or the "studs" skipping HS season to play with travel team and that team starting in may, ALL good points.
BUT the average kid who does not plan on playing in college probably 95% of players are put in a real sticky situation. its late may you graduated in MID MAY. you now have a job to help pay for college and your season is still going on. Try telling your new boss that you have to take off early everyday because you still have baseball (games and practices)
When I was in school our season was over Sr. graduated 4 days before Jr & Sophs. got out . Kid started a job and was told they had to play a "rain out" game his first day of work he had to be at school at 2:30 (drove our own cars then.. no buses) Players asked off work at 2 00 boss said OK this one time.
NO UMPIRES show up game scheduled for next day Player told coach he could not ask off again BUT could meet the team at field by 3:15 Coach said NO show up at school or I will not nominate you for post season AWARDS. Kid hit close to .400 with 5 or 6 HR. Kid chose work did not get any post season awards.... Kid ended up playing at Univ. of Tennessee Walk on

So I see kids working being trouble if season is extended. Just Start earlier if weather permits . They already have limited # of games to equalize for Northern schools . Don't penalize others. When my older brother played they player 35 or so Reg. season games No limit
Old 04-22-17, 10:32 AM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
I would imagine that the OHSAA has considered all of the possibilities talked about on this thread. To state (as the title of this thread does) that "No one has ever thought about this solution" assumes 1) A major problem currently exists; and 2) Significant changes to both the regular season and post-season are in order to correct this "major" problem.

As several posters have pointed out, there are downsides to every proposed solution to whatever "problems" currently exist. In my view -- and judging from the TOTAL LACK of any groundswell of discontent regarding high school baseball in Ohio -- the existing format serves both the schools and the players nicely.
Old 04-22-17, 12:46 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
the existing format serves both the schools and the players nicely.
^^^ This ^^^^^
Old 04-23-17, 11:25 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsb1817 View Post
Yes, the high school season COULD benefit from starting a week later, however in no way should it ever go later.

What should happen is Ohio gets RID of the sectional tournament, and restricts which teams make it to the playoffs.

The fact is, any team that does not have a good chance at winning their section probably has 0 chance at winning their region to make it to states. This would make every playoff game more competitive, eliminating the vast number of 15+ to 0 victories as well as the majority of state championship contenders receiving a bye in the first round already.

Second, it would actually make the regular season matter, and make non conference games matter. Teams would have to learn to develop more than 2 pitchers.

Third, teams would be incentivized to play less cupcake games to get ready for the post season, as there would be 3-4 less regular season games played.

Lastly, it would not disturb the travel baseball circuit where 99% of players get seen by the schools they end up playing at. It also doesn't hurt that many players would be throwing less innings in high school ball with seasons shortened by a week, thus schools who have a history of screwing pitchers arms up would have their pitchers for less time!

Thoughts anyone?
I think I sort of suggested it 3 weeks ago, actually. See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Oh, no doubt.

The timing in the playoff week of when teams meet will have more to do with outcomes in the smaller schools if they play 3. Even in D1, we faced a team one year that had faced a terrible team in their first game of the week and that game had a softball score. They saved their ace for the second game against us, and knocked us out with our #2 in a 4-3 game. Their ace won the third game in the following week, and the got clobbered in their fourth game.

Maybe it's more fair to start a "losers' bracket" for teams with sub-.500 regular season records right from the beginning if we play 3 games a week and start with all teams in the OHSAA tourney ?
We are asking for trouble early if we make our schedule more dense. We could easily miss a good play week starting a week late. Just condense the playoffs by eliminating non-competitive games
Old 04-23-17, 09:40 PM
All Region

scbuckeye99 is on a distinguished road
Are there Ohio teams that still play regular season games after they are eliminated from the tournament?

I graduated in '99 and remember we got eliminated in the sectionals senior year and still ended up playing 5 games even after. I want to say 4 of those 5 were conference games but we even played a non-conf game on its originally scheduled date. again, all this after being punched out of the tournament.
Old 04-24-17, 09:11 AM
All Region

Krasula24 is on a distinguished road
keep the format the way it is. You never know what team could make it far... like the 2005 Gibsonburg team who went into the post season with 8-17 record and ending up winning a state championship.