Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-13-17, 01:39 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Let's blow up the sport so we can accommodate 3% of the participants.....

Agreed. It's working pretty good even with the bad weather. Playing for your school is a privilege and most kids take great pride in wearing their school uniform.
Old 04-13-17, 01:54 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
No doubt.

Some kids play for a new summer team every year. no sense of "community" ever gets really established for them.

My kids have played on some top summer teams. Those teams at 17 would likely beat all but the very top HS teams 2 of 3 games. The priorities are different. School ball is about teaming up with the kids you walk the halls with, trying to beat the kids from the next town over. I feel sorry for anyone that actually doesn't get that.
Old 05-08-17, 07:39 PM
All Yappi

Shall we count these as votes for trimming down the playoff format ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Hudson District

#5 seed in the Hudson District/Canton region, Twinsburg wins without throwing a pitch, as #12 Cleveland John Adams forfeits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Jefferson District
Perry 14, Conneaut 2

Euclid District
Crestwood 25, Shaw 0 ....
Old 05-08-17, 08:06 PM
All Yappi

2 more votes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil Backer View Post
Springfield 16
Buchtel 1

Canton South 10
Kenmore 0
Old 05-09-17, 08:30 AM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Using that formula for eliminating early playoff games, one should then jump over to the basketball site, and post to eliminate every team St. Vincent buries in the tournament on their way to finals year in and year out.
Old 05-09-17, 08:37 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Using that formula for eliminating early playoff games, one should then jump over to the basketball site, and post to eliminate every team St. Vincent buries in the tournament on their way to finals year in and year out.
You're comparing that^ to the juggernaut that is Springfield baseball, huh ? Brilliant.

Not to mention the fact that a basketball team doesn't have to use pitching in back-to-back games like a lesser seed with a play-in game......

Ironically enough, St V's eliminated by Springfield in the Akron District tonight.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 05-09-17 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Ironically....
Old 05-11-17, 07:40 AM
All District

OEBNorthGM is on a distinguished road
An 0-13 team is playing in a playoff game today. Why? No names please but makes no sense. We would not need this discussion about lengthening the season if we cut down the playoffs and removed what end up to be blow out sectional games.
Old 05-11-17, 10:08 AM
Varsity

J.R. Swish is on a distinguished road
I see many more negatives than positives in stretching season out. Some schools graduate as early as May 20 to 25th. Seniors are moving on to college and worried about summer jobs. Underclassmen hit the weights for football or are involved with June basketball activities. It is impossible now to get a non league game past May 5th as teams are just done unless they are alive in tourney. Is the point to stretch it out so teams only have to use 2 pitchers every week? Develop some depth and deal with the rules. I live in one of smallest school districts in the state and we can find 5 guys who can throw strikes most years. Tourney is still the same either way.....you need 2 pitchers to get through district and regional rounds as same guy cannot pitch both games. If anything do not start season until April 1 and go back to 24 games instead of 27.
Old 05-11-17, 09:49 PM
All Yappi

Why are we playing these games ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
DI Euclid
Willoughby South 13, Glenville 1
Cleveland Heights 10, Euclid 0

DI Hudson
Bedford 14, Maple Heights 2
Shaker Heights 11, John Hay 0
Kenston 31, Cleveland JFK 0

DI Struthers
Stow 16, Youngstown East 0
^6 more votes for a lower "consolation" bracket
Old 05-11-17, 10:16 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
^^^ Are you doing the voting or do these teams not want to play?
Old 05-11-17, 10:32 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
^^^ Are you doing the voting or do these teams not want to play?
I'm treating each of these lopsided outcomes, pretty much foregone conclusions before they were played, as a vote for a "bidding out" seeding format.

The only one that didn't want to play that I know of is John Adams, who forfeited to Twinsburg. The score was entered as 7-0.
Old 05-11-17, 10:40 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
The only way I would stretch a season out is to expand to 28 games, just for the sake of an even number.

To be honest, cabeza is, in a way, right. I would definitely support district playoff bracket featuring only eight teams.

Because in all seriousness, the sad reality is that there are some programs that have NO chance at beating an average or even below-average team, and others that are having flat-out terrible seasons, in which a playoff game would potentially increase the misery.

Playoff games like the blowouts above are no fun for either team involved.
Old 05-11-17, 11:10 PM
All Yappi

Large single-elimination summer tourneys will often have a "silver (losers') bracket", in which teams can continue to compete after a loss. Our district I think bids for seeding at a pre-tournament meeting.

These coaches of weaker teams have a pretty good idea how things will shake out. I have to believe that if given the opportunity to bid down into a lower bracket before play begins - maybe to play three games instead of getting squashed in one game ? - most of these guys would welcome the opportunity.

And we could cut a week.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 05-12-17 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-12-17, 06:29 AM
All Yappi

Additionally, say a coach has a very young team, starting a a few sophomores and pedestrian upperclassmen. He knows they won't get far this year. What if he is able to "bid out" of the finals bracket, and get a few games in in a lower bracket and some playoff experience ? I'd think that would be good for everyone - and a parallel tourney bracket could both kill a week AND get more kids innings.

If it's not purely based on records, a team finishing strong and playing in a tough league could stay in the upper bracket if they wish. Last year, Stow surprised a few people, but maybe Aaron DeBord wasn't as surprised as the rest of us. Give the coaches some discretion, and a little accountability to each other, and they'll get it right more often than not.
Old 05-15-17, 01:26 PM
Freshman

JU-ICE is on a distinguished road
Central District Scores for rounds 1 & 2:
26-0
25-0
21-0
19-0
18-0
16-0
15-0
15-2
11-0 x (2)
10-0
Old 05-15-17, 04:25 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Only problem with dropping those teams that are getting pounded in the opening round of the districts is that most are urban based programs and the sports is really trying to grow the game in that part of the country. Wonder how this would fly if some rural basketball team was told not to come to play a game against an urban private school in the hoops tourney to eliminate blowouts?

No I think the better thing to do with baseball is open up games to Sunday play all spring long so that if the weather is good might as well get some games in. (Nothing worse than a lousy Saturday weather day followed by a great Sunday and looking at empty fields, schedule the game for Saturday and use Sunday as the back up.) The other thing to look at is more double headers or multi games played the same day, even with the pitch count rule, it rewards a team for pitching depth. I watched the B1G softball semis and finals that played out this past Saturday and thought the 2 semis followed by the title game the same day was a cool format. Yeah softball pitching is different but again the strategy would be interesting to see if a coach limits guys in a semi game to save them for possible finals game later in the day. Many of the eliminated teams fans and players stuck around to watch the final and gave the final game a better atmosphere.
Old 05-15-17, 09:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Only problem with dropping those teams that are getting pounded in the opening round of the districts is that most are urban based programs and the sports is really trying to grow the game in that part of the country. Wonder how this would fly if some rural basketball team was told not to come to play a game against an urban private school in the hoops tourney to eliminate blowouts?

No I think the better thing to do with baseball is open up games to Sunday play all spring long so that if the weather is good might as well get some games in. (Nothing worse than a lousy Saturday weather day followed by a great Sunday and looking at empty fields, schedule the game for Saturday and use Sunday as the back up.) The other thing to look at is more double headers or multi games played the same day, even with the pitch count rule, it rewards a team for pitching depth. I watched the B1G softball semis and finals that played out this past Saturday and thought the 2 semis followed by the title game the same day was a cool format. Yeah softball pitching is different but again the strategy would be interesting to see if a coach limits guys in a semi game to save them for possible finals game later in the day. Many of the eliminated teams fans and players stuck around to watch the final and gave the final game a better atmosphere.
This isn't basketball we're talking about here. Or softball.

While there may be a few outstanding individuals trying bring baseball back in urban areas, the trend is definitely in the other direction, and it has been for some time. Baseball may be the game of second choice (after futbol) for poor folks south of the border, but it isn't here.

How significant do you really think it is to these urban teams to be one-and-done ? Their coaches know they can't compete, even if they don't. If given the option of elevating the best 60% of teams into a championship bracket, and playing an alternate bracket with the balance of the teams, why would most say no ? 1/5 of the state is going to get a second game that they would never see otherwise. Fewer useless games. What's not to like there ?
Old 05-16-17, 05:36 AM
All Region

cone is on a distinguished road
In the East District D2 there were 19 teams. The number 2-3-6-8 seeds all lost their 1st game, to much lower seeds, that's why you play the game.
Old 05-16-17, 09:12 AM
Varsity

Blowouts happen in all sports in early rounds of tourney play.....even in football where playoff field is limited. Keep politics and computers out of other sports....let teams have a shot in tourney play. The lasting memory of a great upset offsets a few blowouts.
Old 05-16-17, 11:59 AM
All District

FootballCrazy1 is on a distinguished road
Changed my mind

A month ago I was all in favor of extending the season, but now I think most teams have played 23-27 games (including some tourney games) and that's enough IMO.

Couple reasons,

1. Asking seniors to practice and play games two-three weeks after their season is over(IF eliminated from Tourney) is rough. Most graduate around May 24th-28th and are ready to move on. I know there are some exceptions so I'm not lumping ALL kids who are really into baseball here but getting motivated to play a regular season game after graduating and out of tourney is very hard.

2. Football players and multi sport athletes already have their backs against the wall trying to find enough time in the summer to play travel baseball, taking away the first two weeks of tourneys could be very bad for them. I love high school baseball and it's great to compete for your city, your school but losing a few weeks in the summer and having the chance to play in front of college coaches is not good for our kids.

3. I love the idea of more practice and developing fundamentals, but lets face it, these kids are mostly doing that (with their travel team) as soon as football/basketball etc is over until they start practicing with their High School teams in February.

I say leave it how it is, it's a long school year and they are already stretched thin in summer enough.
Old 05-17-17, 09:56 AM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
The only ones pushing for this change are the "baseball" schools.....nobody else, especially smaller schools and "basketball" or "football" schools is going to benefit, in fact, it will go the other way. A lot of schools are already short on baseball kids because AAU basketball starts in April and kids can't or don't want to do both. Also the fact that in the smaller schools, their recruiting opportunities happen in the summer, not during the HS season will hurt kids if they have to play 3 more weeks of HS and miss out on summer tourneys....HS kids basically only have 6 weeks of HS tourneys available as it is due to football practice starting Aug 1. I really don't see this passing...but if it does it's going to do the exact opposite of what the promoters of it think...it's going to hurt the sport more than it helps it.
Old 05-17-17, 12:03 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
I'm definitely not a fan of extending the season to the middle of June, for the reasons mentioned above. I would, however, have games played on Sunday if possible.

I know this is kinda out there, but if this was possible, I would like to see a few conference tournaments for some of the baseball leagues.
Old 06-01-17, 11:21 AM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Today, according to the OHSAA's Jerry Snodgrass -

"Proposal to extend baseball season in Ohio "tabled" until later to obtain more data from Principals on affect on graduation conflicts."

https://twitter.com/Jerry_Snodgrass/...88649698652165
Old 06-01-17, 11:48 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
Today, according to the OHSAA's Jerry Snodgrass -

"Proposal to extend baseball season in Ohio "tabled" until later to obtain more data from Principals on affect on graduation conflicts."

https://twitter.com/Jerry_Snodgrass/...88649698652165
Hopefully it falls off the end of the table.....
Old 06-01-17, 12:29 PM
Varsity

They need to allow coaches to have another year to figure out how to cope with the new pitch count rule. Teams will have to get used to playing some games/innings without one of their top 2 or 3 hurlers on the mound. It can be done....throw strikes and play defense and so maybe you do not put up a 22-4 record, plus side is you are developing more kids who can pitch and protecting your top guys a bit more. Don't stretch out the season for the kids, parents and schools!!
Old 06-01-17, 01:07 PM
All American

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Swish View Post
They need to allow coaches to have another year to figure out how to cope with the new pitch count rule. Teams will have to get used to playing some games/innings without one of their top 2 or 3 hurlers on the mound. It can be done....throw strikes and play defense and so maybe you do not put up a 22-4 record, plus side is you are developing more kids who can pitch and protecting your top guys a bit more. Don't stretch out the season for the kids, parents and schools!!
Well said Swish--season length is fine right now--in Ohio the weather can be good or bad early or late in the season. I don't think the pitch count affected many teams final record.
Old 06-01-17, 02:57 PM
All District

OEBNorthGM is on a distinguished road
the last 3 posts I cannot like enough. i think the consequences of this rule far outweigh any positive. glad to hear this has been tabled.
Old 06-01-17, 10:18 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post
I'm definitely not a fan of extending the season to the middle of June, for the reasons mentioned above. I would, however, have games played on Sunday if possible.
Are you talking about tournament games? I believe schools have the ability to schedule Sunday games now, don't they?
Old 06-02-17, 07:09 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Are you talking about tournament games? I believe schools have the ability to schedule Sunday games now, don't they?
I believe you can have games on sunday. It may be a school decision.
I dont see anything on here about no Sunday games....

http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/rglts/BB.pdf

As you likely know, in a number of local towns in west central ohio dont schedule regular season games on Wednesdays do to a 'dark' night that had its origins in being the night of religion classes.
Old 06-02-17, 10:44 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post
The only way I would stretch a season out is to expand to 28 games, just for the sake of an even number.

To be honest, cabeza is, in a way, right. I would definitely support district playoff bracket featuring only eight teams.

Because in all seriousness, the sad reality is that there are some programs that have NO chance at beating an average or even below-average team, and others that are having flat-out terrible seasons, in which a playoff game would potentially increase the misery.

Playoff games like the blowouts above are no fun for either team involved.
They would have to find a way to account for teams like Stow last year and Maumee this year if they were to consider changing anything, huh ?