Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-23-17, 10:24 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
A New Simplified Transfer Rule - "No Playoffs for Transfers"?

Apparently the OHSAA Commissioner has recently heard about the suggestion to limit transfers that was brought up here a few years ago. The new simplified rule would be that transfers would be eligible for all regular season games and would be ineligible for all playoff games for one year. No exceptions, no lawsuits, and no fuss. Everyone treated the same and athletic transfers do not tip the scales for their new teams.

I know that some will call this a "punishment". I strongly disagree with that. Athletic participation is an extension of the academic process. Allowing a kid to play a full regular season would give him/her the academic side of sports that we all agree is a great part of school. But would take away the temptation to transfer schools for athletic reasons only. A punishment would be to stop a kid from playing the sport that he/she loves. A full regular season gives them that chance to compete.

The playoffs are the culmination of a season and finding out which school is best. Unfortunately, kids will play on poor teams and be unable to advance past the first round. That is not a punishment. Kids will sit on the bench and not play because their coach feels there are better players. That is not a punishment. Kids will be in the student section because they couldn't make the team. That is not a punishment. Kids will not have the grades to participate. That is not a punishment.

The playoffs are a reward. We need to stop looking at it like it is an entitlement.

So what do you think?

**Commissioner Ross, if you are reading this, I would like the new rule to be called the "Yappi Rule" to properly attribute it to it's origin**
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-17, 10:43 PM
All American

20/20
Probably too simple and clear cut for the OHSAA! What a common sense idea. Daddy's baby girl still gets the exposure from the regular season
Old 03-29-17, 01:18 AM
All American

Wadz06 is on a distinguished road
There is always going to be exceptions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-17, 10:27 AM
Freshman

spectre103 is on a distinguished road
I completely agree that there should be restriction on participation for in-season transfers. But can't understand why there should be any limits on a student's participation (regular or playoff) if a transfer happens off-season. Personal experience here...daughter was excited to play for local school district. Reality was the school and athletic experience was a disaster for her. Her experience almost ruined the sport she loved and trained for for years. So bad was willing to look at other schools and leave her friends. She gave the hometown school and program a chance and it didn't work out in the classroom (extended teacher strike) or on the court. Transferred during the summer and had to sit half season. It sucked but in the end it was well worth it and she doesn't regret the decision. What is the purpose for these transfer rule restrictions? In my situation it punished a student who wanted to improve her academic and athletic situation when her school district failed her. I'm willing to listen to other perspectives.