Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-22-18, 11:52 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Regulating FB and You-Tube

Lots of media talk about regulating Facebook and You-Tube, FB because of Russian ads during the election and You-Tube because of some conspiracy video about the Fla. school shooting. You-Tube pulled the video once they realized it was staged. Totally against regulating these companies ( You-Tube being owned by Google ) anyone stupid enough to be influenced by a FB ad on how to vote should not have the right to vote and anyone who believes anything they see on You-Tube is certifiable crazy.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-18, 12:11 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Wait so those 9/11 videos on youtube are all hoaxes?!?!?!
Old 02-22-18, 12:12 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Pretty dumb to try and regulate youtube and Facebook. Should be up to the proprietors to regulate their content not the govt
Old 02-22-18, 12:14 PM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
No need to regulate Facebook. If you don't fact check what you see on FB then you deserve to be horse whipped by Putin. I spend more time replying "fake" or "photo shopped" to my friends than I should. Use your brain and spend a little time investigating instead of blind sharing every time you see an Obama picture where he is in the Black Panthers.
Old 02-22-18, 12:46 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Are they planning to modify the constitution or just ignore it?
Old 02-22-18, 12:54 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Well lots of people have, can, and do get duped by Russians. This forum is proof positive on the absence of fact checking. And the Russians have gotten brazenly sophisticated. It's not just ridiculous fake moon landing / 9/11 conspiracy stuff. It is cyber hacking, stolen identities, including attempts on voter rolls and machines etc.

FB, Twitter etc do need to be more vigilant, but rather than put the entire burden on private business and government oversight, how about we demand that Russia cease and desist and impose severe sanctions until they do???!!! You know, like congress unanimously approved??? And every intel agency is imploring us??? (I think we know the answer).
Old 02-22-18, 12:56 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Well lots of people have, can, and do get duped by Russians.
True, a dozen or so Russians communicated their message far better than the Clinton campaign.
Old 02-22-18, 12:59 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
I am sure if we make strong demands on Russia they will be shaking in their boots.
Old 02-22-18, 01:03 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
If someone posts fake stories, they probably vote straight ticket every time
Old 02-22-18, 01:19 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Regulation of content does not work. The American education system needs revamped from the ground up to focus on teaching kids how to independently evaluate the validity of information.
Old 02-22-18, 01:25 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Ridiculous
Old 02-22-18, 01:27 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
FB, Twitter etc do need to be more vigilant, but rather than put the entire burden on private business and government oversight, how about we demand that Russia cease and desist and impose severe sanctions until they do???!!! You know, like congress unanimously approved??? And every intel agency is imploring us??? (I think we know the answer).
Serious question, why just the Russians?

There are other nationalities that have far more undue influence in our culture and elections than the Russians. Why not get rid of them all...Mexicans, Chinese, Muslim nations, Israel, England, Germany, etc...

I'm far more uncomfortable when I see foreign flags being raised in our streets in protest to the United States than what I see from the Russians on Social media.
Old 02-22-18, 01:29 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Because the Russians did something during the election and Trump won and Hillary didn't so Russians must be stopped at all costs because the Democrats are crybaby whiners
Old 02-22-18, 02:05 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
They're private companies, they should be free to operate how they see fit.

Unfortunately, I could easily see them being regulated in the future as Dems are obviously up in arms about the Russian bots, and Republicans are throwing fits about conservative opinions being censored.
Old 02-22-18, 02:07 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
Regulation of content does not work. The American education system needs revamped from the ground up to focus on teaching kids how to independently evaluate the validity of information.
Kids? Most adults don't do that.
Old 02-22-18, 02:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Serious question, why just the Russians?
Any hostile foreign government. Including China. Including cyber attacks on intellectual property, infrastructure, financial fraud, etc.

Russia has been the most active in regards to interfering with democratic elections, not just ours but globally.

Never thought I'd see the day Republicans would back a known huckster and poo-poo our entire intel and law enforcement community. You should really listen to them.
Old 02-22-18, 02:17 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Any hostile foreign government. Including China. Including cyber attacks on intellectual property, infrastructure, financial fraud, etc.

Russia has been the most active in regards to interfering with democratic elections, not just ours but globally.

Never thought I'd see the day Republicans would back a known huckster and poo-poo our entire intel and law enforcement community. You should really listen to them.
So you are only against a "hostile foreign government." So if this was a private Russian business doing the same thing, you would be OK with it? What if it were a private French business doing the same? Private Australian business?

Personally, I'm against all outsider interference. I didn't like Phil Collins making fun of Reagan in the 1980s song "Land of Confusion." (First time I personally remember an outsider trying to belittle our country) I would have been against anyone from another country trying to influence us by attacking Clinton or Obama too.

That's why I have a problem with all this crying about Russian collusion. Too many people are only against them because it doesn't favor their side. We need concrete rules for this instead of the flip-flopping that Democrats and Republicans do depending on who is getting attacked. And yes, I think the Russians were attacking Trump too, something that is being conveniently forgotten about by those on the left because it doesn't fit their narrative. All Russian interference is wrong and we should work to stop it.
Old 02-22-18, 03:03 PM
All Yappi

Well, on the broader point we are basically in agreement.

But Phil Collins??? Lol.

And no I do not have any problems with "foreigners" expressing an opinion, be it Russia, Iraq, or Phil Collins. That is not interference. Interference would be cyber attack, identity theft, fraud, finance laws, federal crimes etc. I am more against breaking the law.
Old 02-22-18, 03:18 PM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:

But Phil Collins??? Lol.

And no I do not have any problems with "foreigners" expressing an opinion, be it Russia, Iraq, or Phil Collins. That is not interference. Interference would be cyber attack, identity theft, fraud, finance laws, federal crimes etc. I am more against breaking the law.
Where were you when the Chinese were being sold stealth technology by the Clinton administration?
Old 02-22-18, 03:19 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Well, I see a new social media site on the horizon. YouTube the unregulated version and Facebook.
Old 02-22-18, 03:28 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:

But Phil Collins??? Lol.
I was 16 years old. Probably the first time I became politically aware. Personally, there are times I think it could be a better life to return to those days before becoming politically aware. Sometimes I envy the dimwits that can't even tell you the President's name.

Quote:
We have different definitions of interference. America should be governed by it's own people, not outsiders that can benefit by trying to influence elections. I think having foreigners protesting Americans in our streets is disgraceful. Become American, go home, or shutup.

Just to ask a follow up question, if these 13 people indicted by Mueller get tried in a court of law and are found not-guilty, are you saying that they didn't interfere in the election?
Old 02-22-18, 03:33 PM
All World

Quote:
I was 16 years old. Probably the first time I became politically aware. Personally, there are times I think it could be a better life to return to those days before becoming politically aware. Sometimes I envy the dimwits that can't even tell you the President's name.

We have different definitions of interference. America should be governed by it's own people, not outsiders that can benefit by trying to influence elections. I think having foreigners protesting Americans in our streets is disgraceful. Become American, go home, or shutup.

Just to ask a follow up question, if these 13 people indicted by Mueller get tried in a court of law and are found not-guilty, are you saying that they didn't interfere in the election?
I assume you never offer your opinion of the government of any other country, as that would be hypocritical.
Old 02-22-18, 03:41 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Well, I see a new social media site on the horizon. YouTube the unregulated version.
That's called liveleak.
Old 02-22-18, 03:49 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
That's called liveleak.
That site is awesome.
Old 02-22-18, 04:07 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
I assume you never offer your opinion of the government of any other country, as that would be hypocritical.
Hypocritical would be if I told other Americans not to offer their opinion of other countries but did so myself.

So in your opinion, you are saying that the United States is being hypocritical complaining about Russian interference?
Old 02-22-18, 04:13 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So you are only against a "hostile foreign government." So if this was a private Russian business doing the same thing, you would be OK with it? What if it were a private French business doing the same? Private Australian business?

Personally, I'm against all outsider interference. I didn't like Phil Collins making fun of Reagan in the 1980s song "Land of Confusion." (First time I personally remember an outsider trying to belittle our country) I would have been against anyone from another country trying to influence us by attacking Clinton or Obama too.

That's why I have a problem with all this crying about Russian collusion. Too many people are only against them because it doesn't favor their side. We need concrete rules for this instead of the flip-flopping that Democrats and Republicans do depending on who is getting attacked. And yes, I think the Russians were attacking Trump too, something that is being conveniently forgotten about by those on the left because it doesn't fit their narrative. All Russian interference is wrong and we should work to stop it.
Great song and video.

I agree about idiots holding "political rallies" while waving another nation's flag.
Old 02-22-18, 04:13 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
Kids? Most adults don't do that.
Exactly which is because the American Education system failed them.

No point in trying to fix old people they are too slow on computers anyway.
Old 02-22-18, 04:49 PM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
You do understand that the Russians have been fomenting dissent in the US since before any of us were born. Many of the anti-government rallies and peace protests were organized and financed by outsiders. Where was our outrage then?
Old 02-22-18, 04:52 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
Exactly which is because the American Education system failed them.

No point in trying to fix old people they are too slow on computers anyway.
It's not my fault. My teacherz didn't learn me good enuff.

And what do computers have to do with critical thinking skills?

Last edited by chs1971; 02-22-18 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 06:16 PM
All American

gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Globally the US has all countries combined beat...not even close.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: