Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-16-18, 03:10 PM
All American

Whizzer King is on a distinguished road
40th Van Buren Invitation (VBI)

I plan on posting my preview tonight around 9 PM. Still kind of sorting out weights and wrestlers. I think this will be one of the deeper fields that VBI has had in recent years.

My early favorite to win the tournament is Swanton. I think Eastwood, Allen East, Elmwood, Ottawa Glandorf, SMCC, and Mohawk will have an opportunity to finish in the top 5.

Teams:

Ada
Allen East
Arcadia
Bluffton
Calvert
Carey
Columbus Grove
Cory Rawson
Delphos Jefferson
Eastwood
Elmwood
Fostoria
Galion
Gibsonburg
Hopewell Loudon
Lakota
Liberty Benton
Lincolnview
McComb
Mohawk
North Baltimore
Otsego
Ottawa Glandorf
Pandora Gilboa
Riverdale
Seneca East
SMCC
Swanton
Van Buren
Wayne Trace
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-18, 05:33 PM
All Yappi

Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
My preview can be found here: www.borofanohio.net/this-week
Old 01-17-18, 12:35 AM
Varsity

flyingeagle is on a distinguished road
don't forget gibsonburg
Old 01-17-18, 11:55 AM
All American

Eight returning VBI champs and 18 returning state qualifiers head a deep field at Van Buren this weekend. Six returning competitors reached placement in last year’s state tournament, Sumner, Ada; Moore, Swanton; Villereal and Mendoza, Gibsonburg; May, Carey; and Beemer, O-G. This is a very nice tournament which features 22 NW Division teams. Six other teams will be at the SW District in Troy (Ada, Allen East, Bluffton, Jefferson, O-G, Wayne Trace) and two other schools will compete in the NW Division 2 District at Norwalk (Galion, Otsego).

This year, several weights will have multiple ranked wrestlers that will eventually face off at the Division 3 district at Defiance in a few weeks. For many wrestlers, it will be their opportunity to prove the "rankers" wrong :0! Van Buren is a special event for the Van Buren wrestling community. They are great hosts and always have some of the best officials in the area. Many of these officials have officiated this tournament for a looong time. And I am sure for them, that this is a special tournament for them as well and one of their favorites.

My favorite at this weight class is Jake Manley, Otsego. A state qualifier a year ago missed placement by at match last year at state. A returning VBI champion who bested Caprella in OT in the VBI finals. Manley recently finished 2nd at Perrysburg losing to Burgdorf, Firelands a returning state placer by decision. The 106 pound class will offer a deep field this weekend and Manly will certainly be challenged by a new crop of freshman.

2. Freeman, Hopewell-Louden
3. Maynard, Eastwood
4. Kennedy, Allen East
5. Blevins, SMCC
6. Kleman, Bluffton
7. Sutton, Wayne Trace

Favored here is sophomore Chase Caprella, Allen East. A returning state qualifier last year looks to lead the pack in what may be one of the weaker classes at VBI this weekend. Caprella already has wins at Sidney, Allen County, and Marion Harding. At Sidney, he was able to hold on for a narrow victory against a very good Sabin from Mentor. He will be challenged by a very good freshman in Hahn of Eastwood who is zeroing in on 30 wins this season.

2. Hahn, Eastwood
3. Schaller, Swanton
4. Mulholland, Carey
5. Bullinger, Lincolnview

My pick here may not be the popular choice, but I am going with the freshman Drake Carmean, Allen East. Carmean is a pinner and also has a really nice drill partner in the room in Caprella. Allen East has a very nice combination in the lower weights with Kennedy, Capralla, and Carmean. I expect Allen East to get plenty of points from this trio this weekend. He will, however, be challenged by an improving Pollard who just recently dropped from 126 and a very steady Bauer. Pollard finished 2nd last year and Bauer was 3rd. An emerging Glaze of Eastwood provides a competitive group at this weight.

2. Pollard, Otsego
3. Bauer, Wayne Trace
4. Glaze, Eastwood
5. Ganshorn, Galion
6. Donaldson, Van Buren

Assuming Trevor Schaller, Swanton is at this weight, he will be my favorite to win here. A state qualifier two years ago, his aggressive style just may get him back to Columbus for his senior year. If he decides to go 120 this weekend, he would be my pick to win that weight as well. One of Schaller’s top competitors this weekend could be Mancuso who finished 3rd at VBI a year ago and Hernandez of O-G.

2. Mancuso, Otsego
3. Hernandez, O-G
4. Grine, Lakota
5. Collins, Eastwood

Like Schaller at 126, one of the big question marks will be where does Dylan Cook, Swanton end up? A drop to the 126# class seems inevitable, but hasn’t happen yet. Cook is very good on his feet, possesses a very nice slide-by, and can score in many positions. Roth, SMCC or Patterson, NB will be there to challenge him, but I expect Cook to win here due to his ability to score and the quality of competition he has faced this year. 132 will be a very uncharacteristically weak weight class this weekend.

2. Roth, SMCC
3. Patterson, North Baltimore
4. Lehman, Galion
5. Fruth, Eastwood
6. Loera, Elmwood

A state qualifier two years ago and narrowly missing his 2nd state berth last year, my pick here will be Daniel Price, Mohawk. He will be challenged by a competitive Hahn, Freeman, and Saunders. This weight will be a good one to watch as there will be as many as 4 wrestlers will be on the cusp of making the state tournament come March. This weight will serve as a good preview for the NW Division 3 District. I think the improving Freeman will have a good shot at making it out of the SW District at Troy.

2. Hahn, Eastwood
3. Freeman, Allen East
4. Saunders, Swanton
5. Debold, Seneca East
6. Wright, Otsego

This will be another exciting weight class to watch this weekend. The exceptional Hugo Villerreal, Gibsonburg is at the head of the pack, but can certainly be challenged by 2x defending state placer Sumner. Also in this group, I expect former state qualifier Pachelhofer to have a big say at this weight this weekend.

2. Sumner, Ada
3. Pachelhofer, Swanton
4. Frey, Riverdale
5. Endicott, Lakota
6. Badial-Luna, Bluffton
7. Smith, Wayne Trace
8. Siefker, O-G

Chase Moore, Swanton is showing exactly why he placed in the state tournament twice in the past. A very good competitor with a strong motor, he leads a terrific Swanton team who will likely win the tournament. He is the obvious pick to win his 2nd consecutive VBI title. Last year, he bested Villerreal 3-2 in a very good match by both competitors at VBI.

2. Lopez, Mohawk
3. Ludwig, Van Buren
4. Loftis, Otsego
5. Corral, Elmwood

This weight class is going to be another fun one to watch. Parker Brown, Mohawk is the returning VBI Champ at this weight and will also be my favorite to win it this year as well. A state qualifier a couple years ago, he looks to be on pace for a return trip to Columbus this year. Like the 138# class, this will be another weight class that will pit these foes against one another at the NW District in March. 5 “ranked’ wrestlers head this field with 4 of them eventually meeting at the Defiance District.

2. Franks, Lakota
3. Jaso, Gibsonburg
4. Goeke, O-G
5. Marvin, Swanton
6. Beaverson, Eastwood
7. Steele, Otsego
8. Jacoby, Carey

Get your popcorn ready for this weight class!! 3 top 10 wrestlers highlight this field with Junior Bradley Mendoza, Gibsonburg leading the way and my pick to repeat as VBI Champion this weekend. Mendoza is a very powerful specimen that relies on good technique and his ablility to score big points. As a sophomore, he was a 5th place finisher in Columbus losing very narrow decisions to the state runner-up (Vonderwall, DSJ) and his consolation semifinal to Draper (Mohawk) who was no stranger to the VBI tournament in the past. He will be challenged by a solid group of wrestlers in state qualifiers Kwiat and Rosales. From top to bottom, I would have to say this is one of the deeper fields this weekend.

2. Kwiat, Calvert
3. Rosales, O-G
4. Wright, Elmwood
5. Showalter, Wayne Trace
6. Leeth, Mohawk
7. Reisinger, Swanton
8. Weilnau, SMCC

Another weight class with some high end power, the 182# class will feature Daniel Beemer, Ottawa-Glandorf a 2x state placer already, he is down a weight from 195# where he placed 4th in Columbus last year. A 2x defending VBI Champion, he will be my pick to win his 3rd VBI title and the tournament’s Most Outstanding Wrestler. The sophomore May, just “may” be his toughest challenger. As a freshman, he was a state qualifier and finished 6th in Columbus. Neth, Leahy, Loveridge, and Emerine follow those top two.

2. May, Carey
3. Neth, Allen East
4. Leahy, Swanton
5. Loveridge, Riverdale
6. Emerine, Van Buren
7. Shipley, Lakota

After the 160-182# classes, there is a sharp drop-off in competition in the 195# group. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t filled with quality wrestlers at the top. I have been saying since his freshman year that Dylan Hinton, Elmwood is a bonafide “man-child”. For that reason alone, he is my pick to win the 195# class. However, that certainly does not mean that he will not be challenged by two other returning state qualifiers in Nasser and Oberheim. Nasser is a powerhouse that looks like he could squat small house or a Yugo, if you are old enough to remember what that is. I am guessing that he puts 500 lbs. on the bar and he squats it with no trouble at all. Nasser was exceptional in winning the Tri-State Border War at Defiance abot a month ago defeating a very good Will Morrow (Patrick Henry) 7-3. His shorter stature makes it very tough to score on him. Hinton did beat Nasser for 3rd Place at VBI two years ago by a 7-2 decision. I look forward to them meeting in the finals this year, but I would give the edge to Hinton as he may be just too much human for Nasser to handle. We will see.

2. Nasser, Bluffton
3. Oberheim, Swanton
4. Welch, Eastwood
5. Hayes, Riverdale

Chris Kuhn, SMCC is head and shoulders above the rest of the field at Van Buren. A returning state qualifier a year ago at this weight, he lost a close bout (6-5) to Division 2 state runner-up Phillips (Maumee) earlier in the year at Bellevue. Behind him is a quartet of challengers in Wilson, Weichert, Abouhassan, and Sargeant.

2. Wilson, Swanton
3. Weichert, Jefferson
4. Abouhassan, Galion
5. Sargeant, Columbus Grove
6. Eichert, Calvert

Two returning state qualifiers return at 285# this year at VBI in Tommy Lytle, Swanton and Mason Weldon, Galion. These two are no strangers to one another as they met twice last season with Lytle winning in the semi-final of VBI last year against Weldon 13-3. Weldon avenged his loss to Lytle by pinning him at the NW District place match. This year, I expect a closer match between the two than the loss Weldon took at VBI last year. In any event, I am going with Lytle to win this class this year to defend his VBI title. Weldon is a very big opponent who will present many challenges to the other opponents this weekend.

2. Weldon, Galion
3. McCrinnon, SMCC
4. Klotz, Lakota
5. Brossia, Elmwood
6. Schlack, Carey
7. Meyer, Columbus Grove
8. Clark, Eastwood

Last edited by Whizzer King; 01-17-18 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-17-18, 12:31 PM
Junior Varsity

formerfanatic is on a distinguished road
Brown from Allen East (152) won't be wrestling at VBI. He quit the team a couple of weeks ago.
Old 01-17-18, 12:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerfanatic View Post
Brown from Allen East (152) won't be wrestling at VBI. He quit the team a couple of weeks ago.
Does Allen East not have two-piece singlets?
Old 01-17-18, 01:01 PM
Junior Varsity

AmustangE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzer King View Post
Does Allen East not have two-piece singlets?
Haha! Now this made me laugh!
Old 01-17-18, 01:05 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmustangE View Post
Haha! Now this made me laugh!
All kidding aside, this is unfortunate. He was a quality wrestler. I am fond of Coach Abbey and his staff. They do a very nice job and always have steady competitors.
Old 01-17-18, 01:46 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
All kidding aside, this is unfortunate. He was a quality wrestler. I am fond of Coach Abbey and his staff. They do a very nice job and always have steady competitors.
Agreed. I'm not sure of the reason. Unfortunate regardless.
Old 01-17-18, 03:54 PM
All American

rjewards is on a distinguished road
awesome review and just as good of a tourney
Old 01-18-18, 02:49 PM
Freshman

BulldogwreslingFan is on a distinguished road
Will seeds be released tonight?
Old 01-18-18, 07:35 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogwreslingFan View Post
Will seeds be released tonight?
Yes
Old 01-18-18, 08:37 PM
Junior Varsity

Koleslaw is on a distinguished road
On here?
Old 01-18-18, 09:37 PM
All American

Seeds!!

1. Manley, Otsego
2. Freeman, HL
3. Kennedy, AE
4. Tuttamore, Eastwood
5. Blevins, SMCC
6. Kleman, Bluffton
A. Sutton, WT

1. Caprella, AE
2. Hahn, EAstwood
3. Mullholland, Carey
4. Young, VB
5. Bullinger, Lincolnview
6. Patterson, NB
A. Langhals, CG

1. Carmean, AE
2. Montgomery, McComb
3. Schaller, Swanton
4. Donaldson, VB
5. Tressler, LB
6. Pollard, Otsego
A. Johnson, Lakota

1. Schaller, Swanton
2. Mancuso, Otsego
3. Garcia, Gibsonburg
4. Bauer, WT
5. Hernandez, OG
6. Lucas, Arcardia
A. Torres, SMCC

1. Patterson, NB
2. Roth, SMCC
3. Cook, Swanton
4. Fruth, Eastwood
5. Bloom, Lakota
6. Loera,Elmwood
A. White, CR

1. Hahn, Eastwood
2. Price, Mohawk
3. Saunders, Swanton
4. Endicott, Lakota
5. Teeple, Gibsonburg
6. Colvin, CR
A. Frey, Riverdale

1. Villerreal, Gibsonburg
2. Sumner, Ada
3. Pachelhofer, Swanton
4. Dillon, McComb
5. Love, Elmwood
6. Anderson, Lakota
A. Jankowski, Eastwood

1. Moore, Swanton
2. Franks, Lakota
3. Ludwig, VB
4. Lopez, Mohawk
5. Loftis, Otsego
6. Badial-Luna, Bluffton
A. Recknagel, Eastwood

1. Davis, CR
2. Goeke, OG
3. Brown, Mohawk
4. Jaso, Gibsonburg
5. Marvin, Swanton
6. Staley, Bluffton
A. Beall, VB

1. Mendoza, Gibsonburg
2. Kwiat, Calvert
3. Rosales, OG
4. Showalter, WT
5. Wright, Elmwood
6. Emerine, VB
A. Jones, CG

1. Beemer, OG
2. May, Carey
3. Neth, AE
4. Spoores, Gibsonburg
5. Shipley, Lakota
6. Kuhn, HL
A. Fraley, Elmwood

1. Hinton, Elmwwod
2. Nasser, Bluffton
3. Oberheim, Swanton
4. Welch, Eastwood
5. Sargent, CG
6. Haws, LB
A. Martin, SE

1. Kuhn, SMCC
2. Salazar, Gibsonburg
3. Bechstein, Elmwood
4. Sargent, CG
5. Markel, SMCC
6. Dobbins, LB
A. Abouhassen

1. Lytle, Swanton
2. Weldon, Galion
3. Hill, Arcadia
4. Meyer, CG
5. Schlack, Carey
6. Brossia, Elmwood
A. Clark, Eastwood
Old 01-18-18, 09:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koleslaw View Post
On here?
Ask and you shall receive
Old 01-18-18, 09:54 PM
Junior Varsity

What's the seeding criteria?
Old 01-18-18, 09:57 PM
All Region

coachjw
coaches voted. Seed by record % then can challenge.

Last edited by coachjw; 01-18-18 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-18-18, 10:02 PM
Junior Varsity

Ok. So no criteria.

Was just wondering how Klotz from Lakota isn't seeded at 285 after placing last year.
Old 01-18-18, 10:31 PM
All Region

coachjw
I think Lakota didn't want there seed and took him off the board hoping he would get in the other half maybe?
Old 01-18-18, 10:33 PM
All Region

BuckeyeFan94 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ok. So no criteria.

Was just wondering how Klotz from Lakota isn't seeded at 285 after placing last year.
He was beat in the finals of Carey classic last week to hill of Arcadia.
Old 01-18-18, 10:47 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeFan94 View Post
He was beat in the finals of Carey classic last week to hill of Arcadia.
Are the Carey Classic results posted anywhere? I was wanting to see those and couldn't find them.
Old 01-18-18, 11:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Are the Carey Classic results posted anywhere? I was wanting to see those and couldn't find them.
I searched everywhere for them. I left a lot of wrestlers off my list because I found very few wrestling results for the Blanchard Valley Region. I definitely missed on several kids from McComb, Cory-Rawson, and Van Buren.
Old 01-18-18, 11:05 PM
All Yappi

Results from the Carey Classic

CHAMPIONSHIP MATCHES
106 — Smiley (Car) won by forfeit
113 — Mullholand (Car) tech. fall Cruz (Fin) 19-4
120 — Montgomery (McC) maj. dec. Harrison (Arc) 12-4
126 — Garcia (Gib) dec. Smith (Fin) 6-1
132 — Bloom (Lak) pinned Bloomfield (Buc) 3:13
138 — Patterson (NB) dec. Endicott (Lak) 7-5
145 — Villareal (Gib) maj. dec. Owens (Fin) 19-6
152 — Franks (Lak) pinned Smith (McC) 3:06
160 — Jaso (Gib) dec. Parsell (Buc) 7-1
170 — Mendoza (Gib) pinned Shane (Riv) 3:17
182 — May (Car) pinned Spoores (Gib) 3:33
220 — Markel (McC) pinned Patterson (Buc) 1:31.
285 — J. Hill (Arc) dec. Klotz (Lak) 13-7

THIRD PLACE
113 — Marczak (Arc) pinned Albright (Buc) 1:50
120 — Novotny (Gib) dec. Phadphom (Fin) 14-8
126 — Lucas (Arc) dec. Grine (Lak) 4-3
132 — Paul (Lak) pinned Benedict (Buc) 2:40
138 — W. Frey (Riv) maj. dec. Fulton (Buc) 14-2
145 — Dillon (McC) maj. dec. Gallegos (Riv) 14-0
152 — Arriaga (Giv) pinned Scott (Buc) 2:50
160 — Staley (NB) maj. dec. Lanagan (Fin) 8-0
170 — Martinez (Arc) pinned Sprague (Buc) 3:35
182 — Shipley (Lak) pinned Blakely (Riv) :41
220 — Stover (Riv) pinned Black (Car) :59
285 — Schlack (Car) dec. Halbisen (Gib) 1-0
Old 01-18-18, 11:08 PM
All American

Quote:
Ok. So no criteria.

The seed meeting is a coaches vote. You are correct, there really isn't a criteria. A two hour seed meeting.
Old 01-18-18, 11:09 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro Fan View Post
Results from the Carey Classic

CHAMPIONSHIP MATCHES
106 Smiley (Car) won by forfeit
113 Mullholand (Car) tech. fall Cruz (Fin) 19-4
120 Montgomery (McC) maj. dec. Harrison (Arc) 12-4
126 Garcia (Gib) dec. Smith (Fin) 6-1
132 Bloom (Lak) pinned Bloomfield (Buc) 3:13
138 Patterson (NB) dec. Endicott (Lak) 7-5
145 Villareal (Gib) maj. dec. Owens (Fin) 19-6
152 Franks (Lak) pinned Smith (McC) 3:06
160 Jaso (Gib) dec. Parsell (Buc) 7-1
170 Mendoza (Gib) pinned Shane (Riv) 3:17
182 May (Car) pinned Spoores (Gib) 3:33
220 Markel (McC) pinned Patterson (Buc) 1:31.
285 J. Hill (Arc) dec. Klotz (Lak) 13-7

THIRD PLACE
113 Marczak (Arc) pinned Albright (Buc) 1:50
120 Novotny (Gib) dec. Phadphom (Fin) 14-8
126 Lucas (Arc) dec. Grine (Lak) 4-3
132 Paul (Lak) pinned Benedict (Buc) 2:40
138 W. Frey (Riv) maj. dec. Fulton (Buc) 14-2
145 Dillon (McC) maj. dec. Gallegos (Riv) 14-0
152 Arriaga (Giv) pinned Scott (Buc) 2:50
160 Staley (NB) maj. dec. Lanagan (Fin) 8-0
170 Martinez (Arc) pinned Sprague (Buc) 3:35
182 Shipley (Lak) pinned Blakely (Riv) :41
220 Stover (Riv) pinned Black (Car) :59
285 Schlack (Car) dec. Halbisen (Gib) 1-0
Smiley dominated 106
Old 01-18-18, 11:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Smiley dominated 106
Haha I was wondering what happened there too. I found them on The Courier. The little article/write-up didn't help either, "Kaiden Smiley won the 106-pound crown".

Team Scores for anyone interested:
1, Gibsonburg 242. 2, Lakota 188. 3, Bucyrus 163. 4, Carey 150. 5, Findlay 136. 6, Arcadia 133. 7, McComb 100. 8, Riverdale 97. 9, North Baltimore 82. 10, Fostoria 21.
Old 01-19-18, 12:12 AM
Varsity

flyingeagle is on a distinguished road
What happened to Maynard from Eastwood at 106. I thought he would be in the finals for sure.
Old 01-19-18, 07:49 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
The seed meeting is a coaches vote. You are correct, there really isn't a criteria. A two hour seed meeting.
Wow! That's a long meeting. I assumed they used a criteria similar to LCC or any other tournament. Seems like that would cut down on a lot of work and headache. Must be the way they've always done it. Either way, I'm eager to see the brackets!
Old 01-19-18, 08:17 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjw View Post
coaches voted. Seed by record % then can challenge.
Winning % is not the most reliable method of seeding. Especially with some teams participating in a lot of deals in the early going. Lots of forfeits there. Where will results be posted? I'll be out of town for work but would like to check in.
Old 01-19-18, 08:59 AM
Junior Varsity

2x_placer is on a distinguished road
Where can the live updates for this tournament be found this year?